Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226508 times)

calamitycrush and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »
Holy shit, the Sky Blue/DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love comparison was dead-on. I heard that and was just like "wtf I know I've heard this before".  :lol

I listened to DJ Got Us Fallin In Love then to Sky Blue and laughed. Now I want to hear a mashup,  akin to the Save Our Now/The Island pt. 1 mashup.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
I like Dark Matters a lot (prefer the version without the narrative, though), not sure about Sky Blue yet. I'm hearing moments of brilliance all over, but it seems like a grower so far... which is fine! Dark Matters is just much more immediate.

That said, Before We Die and Universal Flame are probably my favourites from the whole double album, and they are both fantastic all around.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
It's here :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The artwork and T-Shirt are beautiful. And the frisbee thing is neat I guess.

Gonna give it a full listen tonight after class.

Also, anyone here going to the show with Animals as Leaders in Atlanta on December 8th?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:02:23 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Basekick

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »
So I took a week off from Z2 to give myself some space from the album before reassessing it.

Nope, still super awesome.

For real though, the chorus to Warrior is one of the best he's ever done.  The melody soars above everything in one hell of a soundscape.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 01:38:10 AM »
So yeah. Dark Matters got old pretty damn fast, but Sky Blue is just getting better. Not sure where I'd put it on Addicted/Epicloud/Sky Blue spectrum (which I also call "Devy pop"), but it's definitely a worthy spiritual successor of those two.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 02:15:43 AM »
Scrop, do you listen to Dark Matters with the dialogue? I only listened to it once that way, and while it was quite enjoyable, I know that won't have any staying power, so now I'm just listening to the "raw" version. Which is pretty damn good. I'm a little bit obsessed with March of the Poozers.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »
I listened to the raw version once, but tbh I have been quite obsessed with Sky Blue so I haven't actually tested that one for staying power yet. :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 03:18:01 AM »
I still need some more listens on both albums, but I will say that for now Sky Blue is definitely my favourite. I like a lot of the stuff on Dark Matters, and I almost exclusively listen to the raw version, but for some reason it just doesn't stick with me yet.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
i now love almost everything about Dark Matters, but unfortunately the second half of "Earth" really grates on me — it's about the only example where the Z1-style repeated buildup just fails imo (the "coming to earth" vocal going ad nauseam), so i edited those parts to about half their length, and it's much more enjoyable.

FSA, WP, "Deathray" and MOTP are absolute highlights in the Dev discography!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »
Ok, here are my thoughts on Z2.

Wow.

Both albums are extremely solid, but out of the two, in terms of consistency and beauty, I prefer Sky Blue. Every song in there is plain amazing and everything is bathed in this ethereal atmosphere.. just awesome.

Dark Matters was really cool. The narration is awesome, and it made me laugh more than just once, and the music is great too. Some songs are too much all over the place IMO (Earth), and some are a bit useless without the commentary (Wandering Eye), but overall, it was awesome.

Another good one Devy, you never fail  :metal :tup
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »
Anybody else getting a Synchestra vibe from Midnight Sun?

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »

Yes, absolutely. It's that keyboard patch

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »

Yes, absolutely. It's that keyboard patch

Yeah, those parts sound very much like the intro to Hypergeek.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »
I've always thought it was a massive homage to Storm, but I also definitely get that vibe. Moreover, the production on that song specifically sounds very much like the production on AE, to me anyway; specifically Storm. I really think Sky Blue as an album is a great homage to everything past Devy in parts and pieces and overall is a great evolution of the Epicloud format whilst throwing back to the olden days. There's overt influences of Ocean Machine, Addicted!, and AE as well as direct 'connections' to Deconstruction and the obviously AWESOME 'story connection' to Casualties that make this record extremely close to being my favorite.

Again, I don't really rate albums anymore but if I did, Ocean Machine is almost always at the top and I can see this one being almost always number 2. It's amazing stuff. Dark Matters is awesome in it's own right but I've never been one for the theatrics. I like my music internal, singular and personal with a dollop of emotional disaster. Sky Blue has that in spades to my ears. DM is more of an experience than anything, but March of the Poozers, coming completely out of left field, has overtaken my addiction center. It's like titty fucking a clown while waging a war against an alien race. Holy fuck.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Guys, I'm sorry but I can't seem to figure out who is the bald and bearded guy in the artwork of Dark Matters. I mean the one where they're against DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
Guys, I'm sorry but I can't seem to figure out who is the bald and bearded guy in the artwork of Dark Matters. I mean the one where they're against DTP.

This. Who the heck is that guy? I thought maybe it was the Beav before he shaved. Maybe its the guy who does the narration?

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »

This. Who the heck is that guy? I thought maybe it was the Beav before he shaved. Maybe its the guy who does the narration?

I thought that too, but it makes no sense to me  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
I thought it was Captain Spectacular.

The bigger question is, who the hell is that disembodied screaming head in the DTP side?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »
I thought it was Captain Spectacular.

The bigger question is, who the hell is that disembodied screaming head in the DTP side?

That's indeed Chris Jericho, who plays Captain Spectacular.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »
The screaming head's Chris Jericho?
Why is he on the wrong side? :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
Great question, and I was wondering that myself. I thought baldy would be Jericho but yeah...definitely disembodied head wrestler. After about 30 minutes of searching for Dark Matter's beard badly, I can't find shit. What the fuck, is it just some random dude to look badass? Cause he does.  :rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
The screaming head's Chris Jericho?
Why is he on the wrong side? :lol

Well, I guess that the DTP represents Earth, and as Chris is playing Captain Spectacular, he protects Earth from aliens and Evil Devy and Blattaria and Ziltoid and Unidentified Flying Bald Guy.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
Ah, very true!  :tup

RIP DTP.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
glad to know I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out who beard guy was.  I thought I was stupid.  maybe the narrator is just a total badass :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »
He definitely is. I'm totally not into wrestling at all in any way, shape or form and was the kid that had friends who were completely taken aback by it and bought into it and I was the asshole who even as a kid was screaming "IT'S ALL FAKE YOU FUCKING IDIOTS! IT'S STUPID!".

I really like his monologues though, they're great and they bring a hilarity to the album that is few and far between (at least that 'type', it's more childish and cheesy). I love 'Ziltoid' (Devy's) monologues, but there's something about Jericho that brings an innocence to the album that I thought was missing until I heard him.  It's great, but again, not what I'd like on the norm. Still have my dialog-less album on my 'pod for groovin' in the car but I mostly listen to the original at home on my new sound system. I also really like the announcement of "...THE MARCH OF THE POOZERS" on the dialogue version. Plus farts. I fucking love farting.

RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »
I definitely think Z2 (the song) is better with dialogue, and to a lesser extent From Sleep Awake. For everything else I just listen to the dialogue-less versions.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »

i thought it was Beav pre-shave too, because that is exactly what he and Dev would do!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
Granted, I haven't listened to the "bare" version without the narration, but I honestly can't imagine Dark Matters without it. I mean, it's supposed to be a musical for chrissakes. The dialogue is as much a part of the album as the riffs for me. Earth's ending wouldn't have nearly the same impact if not for everyone gushing over the planet smasher. Same with Wandering Eye and Through the Wormhole, which are pretty much all dialogue.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I agree with all of you, gentlemen. First I thought that I would love the non-dialogue version of Dark Matters but truth is that the music is constructed in such a way that it needs the spoken sections. That's not a bad thing in any way, because I love Devin's goofy spoken side.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 07:37:14 AM »
I agree with all of you, gentlemen. First I thought that I would love the non-dialogue version of Dark Matters but truth is that the music is constructed in such a way that it needs the spoken sections. That's not a bad thing in any way, because I love Devin's goofy spoken side.

All of this. I mean, the album just sounds naked without the narration. Good thing that I bought the deluxe edition just because it was 22 € instead of 20 (standard cd). The artwork is glorious.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
I mean... Devy himself took the time to take the dialogue out and cut/extended what he thought was necessary. So that to me negates any questions of what is necessary on DM or not. Ulti, there are even those tracks that aren't there at all because of those reasons. That may be a negative for some but for those of us who are less inclined to like the musical aspects now have reason to like DM even more; that is a beautiful thing and I think it's awesome that Devy not only realized that but gave us the chance to have something different. It's a rare thing that a man will change his vision and thought on something this precious for the fans.

That said, of course there's something that's taken away from the experience. It's a give and take, and while I do still adore the original, it's not something I'll be playing in the car on the norm like I do with the dialogue-less version. To each their own. But I think it's awesome that Devy even gave us an option. It isn't as if he calls the non-commentary the 'real' version or anything, it's just another way to listen to the music.

RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
He did it because he knew people won't enjoy it.

I respect that it took a lot out of him to make Dark Matters.  I haven't listened to it fully, but since I'm one whom enjoys concept albums I bet I'll enjoy it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
Of course, I'm not saying that the raw version should die, I think that the dialogue is not something that everybody's gonna like, and I'm glad he gave us the choice. But the original version for me is miles ahead of the raw one.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
I dont understand how youre supposed to understand the story without the dialouge. It serves as a visual representation.

Without the voice acting, the album is largely instrumental aside from a few songs.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
Yeah, but the story is silly and not all that engaging, I feel. I mean, I'm in it for the music, not the story, so I understand the point of the raw version, and I actually prefer it to the narrated version.