Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226518 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:41:07 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
FIRST

I still have to get Z2.

Is it extremely awesome, or only awesome?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
Dammit Nick
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Z2 is amazingly extremely awesome.

On that note, after sufficient listens to all the albums, this may not be my absolute favorite DT album, but it's damn close; especially if you're technical about it and consider Z2 as a whole.

One thing I couldn't hear on previous mixes of the album as opposed to the final is the great line "I have a fight and I have a right of way" in the final chorus of Sky Blue. It's brief and the line is a bit buried, but it's great and gives me the bumps of geese every time. Anyone catch that Silent Militia was inspired by Will.i.am? I thought that was pretty interesting. This is definitely the coolest and most informative lyric booklet I've seen. I really like that they took the time to document and cite every single thing they could. Plus...dat artwork. So nice.

I'm also finally supportive of Devy using the Anneke-voiced-chorus in Fallout. I think it's a much more balanced, nuanced version; the bridge (I think that's what it's called? The lines starting with "You're on your own") pops out a lot more and hits even harder than the Devy-centric version. I feel like I know why he changed it now; all that said, I would absolutely love a better mixed version with Devy on the chorus. Then again I'm not complaining at all, it's cool we have it in some form and at the end of the day it's up to the man on what to use.

I'm sad that I know we probably won't be getting much from him and the gang for quite some time after this, but it is by far and away, ten fold over deserved. I'm sure he's ready to rest.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:11:11 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »
I just got Z2 today, and listened to Sky Blue and Dark Matters.

While it's too soon to give a complete opinion, I loved both of them. Sky Blue is definitely one of Devin's more emotional-sounding albums... certain parts of the album like the title track, Before We Die and the two ballads sure gave me a case of the feels.

Dark Matters was much better than I thought it would be. The plot and dialogue is absolutely ridiculous, but damn it, I just had a stupid grin on my face throughout the whole thing. The last part of the album from Earth onwards didn't make as much of an impact on me, but I probably just need to give it some more listens, including the dialogue-less version, which I haven't tried yet.

Devin's one of the few musicians I know who can cram in so much of both quality and quantity, and I think Z2 is the perfect example of that. He sure as hell deserves that break.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »
Still patiently awaiting for Z2 to arrive at my doorstep. Getting kinda concerned...

I've gone this far without listening to any leaks or anything. It's hard, but I will survive.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »
Z2 is soon arriving to me too. I should have it by wednesday. I listened to both records once or twice just to give it a shot and I'm really impressed  :metal :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
Really wish I could afford this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
Also, haha Sky Blue really is DJ got us falling in love.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
I fucking love every single thing about Z2. Sky Blue has so many feels and Dark Matters has so much :metalol:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
I fucking love every single thing about Z2.

That's a shocker. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
Still need some more listens for Z2. Also, following.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
I fucking love every single thing about Z2. Sky Blue has so many feels and Dark Matters has so much :metalol:
o/******\o
agreement aw ysissssssss

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
Finally having time to listen to this this weekend.  Sounds good so far, but with two discs, it will take time.  I'll probably focus on just Sky Blue first, instead of trying to tackle both at once.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
I'm glad I listened to the narrated version of Dark Matters, but now that I have, I agree with others the unnarrated disc is like a completely different album and it flows much better as music.  I love the creativity of the whole story and performances though, but that doesn't make it something I want to listen to all the time.

Overall though, Sky Blue seems to fall significantly short of Addicted and Epicloud which many seem to be comparing it to.

Dark Matters has its moments, but I'm not sure its good enough to listen to all the way through.  More like background music while I'm working.

Disappointed so far.  will give it more listens though and see how my opinion changes.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Haven't gotten to Dark Matters yet, but wearing out Sky Blue. On a side note, I was listening to Casualties the other night and noticed something in Flight that I'd never heard before. About 2:30 in, on the line "feed the pigeons, with my collisions", there is a strange vocal effect on the word collisions. It's sort of a mechanical, jarring sound. Just thought it was cool.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
Overall though, Sky Blue seems to fall significantly short of Addicted and Epicloud which many seem to be comparing it to.

i'm not sure how to relate SB with Addicted (they've got mostly different approaches, though they clearly relate, i realize), but SB absolutely destroys Epicloud for me. there isn't even a comparison.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 10:59:24 AM »

i'm not sure how to relate SB with Addicted (they've got mostly different approaches, though they clearly relate, i realize), but SB absolutely destroys Epicloud for me. there isn't even a comparison.
Agreed. Epicloud is probably my least favorite DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
God, War Princess and March of the Poozers are the fucking tits. :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »
Man, I like War Princess, but I'm not nearly as infatuated with it as others who like it seem to be. Poozers, however, is my favorite Devy track in a long, long time; it's a perfect blend of insanity, badassery and overall ridiculousness with a chugging fuckin' beat behind it. It's great.

All that said....

I HAVE A FIIIIIGHT
AND
I HAVE A RIIIGHT OF WAAAAY

:heart :heart :heart I dunno how anyone couldn't love Sky Blue. Then again my opinions are most often in the vast minority so...no surprise there, I suppose. I've had the those two songs on repeat for a while... :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 08:29:38 PM »
Dark Matters on the whole feels like there is both a sweet rave party, an intergalactic invasion, and a stage show going on in the busy city streets at once, and it's joyous chaos. Album's growing on me. I love the energy. Keep coming back to Deathray and Poozers.

I've been relistening to this album so much that I've barely cracked halfway into Sky Blue. Hopefully sometime tomorrow when I have the day off.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
Perfect description of Dark Matters. Love it and I completely concur. It's really great stuff and I think it's a perfect evolution to the original. Which, by the way, DM has inspired me to re-listen to ZTO; I still don't love it nearly as much as other DT records, but it's got a new perspective and spin on it now that the story is complete, more or less.

You should commit to listening to Sky Blue as a whole one night, it's a beautiful record, I think. Also, again, I'm in the minority so maybe you'll think it's shit.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
DM is basically my new go-to Halloween album.  :lol

I expect to love Sky Blue, but I just got into the guy's music in May and I've already listened to Addicted and Epicloud so much (evenright before Z2 came out) that I only got about three songs in the other night before I figured "oh, it's a continuation of that album style, I don't want to burn out on it already". I think I like Epicloud a bit more than some others here, but I don't want to overload. It needs... space to breathe and be noticed. I need to get Dark Matters out of my system first, I guess.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »
DM is basically my new go-to Halloween album.  :lol

Hahaha, my roommate commented that the chorus to March Of The Poozers sounded like "heavy metal Nightmare Before Christmas" :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 07:03:13 AM »
Gave Sky Blue a listen today. Honestly,not much stuck with the exception of Fallout. Hopefully the rest will grow on me. Dark Matters,i have yet to listen to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »
After listening to both, I'll probably get way more mileage out of Sky Blue than Dark Matters.  The Ziltoid thing gets kind of old pretty quickly (and I only liked the first one), while Sky Blue is in the vein of Addicted and Epicloud, two records I loved to death. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 07:16:50 AM »
I was much more accepting and liking of the theatrics of DM than I initially thought I'd be, but you might be another that would benefit greatly from the dialog-less version of DM. It really changes things and while there's still some zaniness to it, it's much more musically cohesive and acts more like a zany badass metal album than a straight-up metal-opera. That said, I still enjoy SB a bit more even if Poozers is my favorite song from Z2 overall. But I think both are a massive success.

RIP DTP.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »
Gave Sky Blue a listen today. Honestly,not much stuck with the exception of Fallout. Hopefully the rest will grow on me. Dark Matters,i have yet to listen to.

That's where I was at after 2 listens as well.  Even after a third listen, maybe only 2 more tracks are sticking.  Before We Die is definitely one of the best.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 07:52:29 AM »
I tend to like Sky Blue a lot more if I listen to it on shuffle.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 08:09:31 AM »
Also, is there any chance that someone could PM me the link to an early mix of Silent Militia? I don't like the vocals he added to the intro in the CD version and the guitars were way louder and beefier from what i can remember.

I deleted the early mix of Sky Blue when my CDs came in and I kinda wish I kept a few of the tracks :/

Offline Basekick

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »
I was much more accepting and liking of the theatrics of DM than I initially thought I'd be, but you might be another that would benefit greatly from the dialog-less version of DM. It really changes things and while there's still some zaniness to it, it's much more musically cohesive and acts more like a zany badass metal album than a straight-up metal-opera. That said, I still enjoy SB a bit more even if Poozers is my favorite song from Z2 overall. But I think both are a massive success.

I feel the same way.  The whole presentation of the album is surprising appealing.

Nevertheless, the raw version is still the definitive one for me.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 11:21:43 AM »
I've got mixed feelings on Sky Blue. There's not a song on it I dislike, but a lot of the songs sit in that awkward range of "good but not great". One song I see getting a ton of praise but hasn't really clicked with me is A New Reign. It's a good song, but currently it's probably in the bottom tier of the album for me. Overall, I think Epicloud is a bit better, and Addicted is still the undeniable champion of poppy Devin.

Universal Flame and Sky Blue are both fantastic, though.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »
I think that universal flame is an instant classic.

FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
I think that universal flame is an instant classic.

FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

This is one of my favourite from the entire album. Simple, but damn catchy and effective.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
Holy shit, the Sky Blue/DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love comparison was dead-on. I heard that and was just like "wtf I know I've heard this before".  :lol