Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229276 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #980 on: August 05, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
I read this thread before listening so maybe it had an influence, but immediately noticed the Planet of the Apes and the Synchestra moments of this song.  Solid song, needs more listenings before I can judge.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #981 on: August 05, 2016, 05:55:07 PM »
Based on my first listen, I like this quite a bit. Very refreshing to hear him not make another album in the Addicted/Epicloud/Sky Blue vein, and the solo is killer. I'm really pumped for Transcendence now.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #982 on: August 05, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »
Based on my first listen, I like this quite a bit. Very refreshing to hear him not make another album in the Addicted/Epicloud/Sky Blue vein, and the solo is killer. I'm really pumped for Transcendence now.

I'm really digging it. Interesting some saying its similar to a Synchestra style and I'm like probably the biggest fan of that album here. Although Addicted is one of my favorite albums ever and I liked Epicloud and Sky Blue (to a lesser degree), I'm a big fan of artists switching things up and at the very least I like the change of pace here. Very cool song; Excited to see where the rest of the album goes!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #983 on: August 05, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »

I really like the "breathing room" in the mix. It's nice and spacious.

My only criticism is rather minor. I do like the solo, however, I really wish he would stray from the Vai and Satriani-esque tone and phrasing. Yes, I know his history, but it just strikes me as odd that someone who's such a visionary in many other aspects wouldn't be more eager to set himself apart in this regard.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #984 on: August 05, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
I agree many of his solos sound very........similar. I think one reason it's not a huge deal to me is simply because he rarely solos.

If every record had 5 typical Dev solos, I'd be quite annoyed after a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #985 on: August 05, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »
Every other aspect of his repertoire is so amazing that I am fine with Devin's solos a) being rare, and b) always being in a similar style. 

Oh, and having listened to Devin like crazy the last few weeks, some more updated opinions:

-While I still think Ki is pretty great, it is not a CD I reach for much at all, and not only that, it is hard to listen to much of it out of context of the album, so very little of it makes it on to my master Devin mp3 CD-R for the car.

-Terria and Addicted are still far and away my two favorite albums of his.

-Infinity is in 3rd, with everything else fighting for a distant 4th place.

-Perspective, from the Casualties of Cool bonus disc, is outstanding.

-I've finally come around to acknowledging that Deadhead is one of his best songs.

-Juular and The Mighty Masturbator are the only songs from Deconstruction I ever listen to anymore.

-Ocean Machine is a great record, but one I rarely want to listen to, outside of a couple select songs, namely Bastard and Things Beyond Things.  The Death of Music is too powerful and intense to listen to a lot, but is still amazing.

-Pixillate never fails to kick my ass.

That's all I got for now. :metal

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #986 on: August 06, 2016, 12:51:34 AM »
Every other aspect of his repertoire is so amazing that I am fine with Devin's solos a) being rare, and b) always being in a similar style. 
-I've finally come around to acknowledging that Deadhead is one of his best songs.

-Ocean Machine is a great record, but one I rarely want to listen to, outside of a couple select songs, namely Bastard and Things Beyond Things.  The Death of Music is too powerful and intense to listen to a lot, but is still amazing.

It's rare that I go as far as picking an absolute favorite with songs from bands and artists, but I probably would venture to say "Deadhead" might be my favorite from him. I have listened to it literally every day since I became aware of it.

Speaking of "The Death of Music", admittedly, I am shit when it comes to lyric interpretation, and find myself a bit lost as to what it's all about. I know it's not about the state of music as an art form like the title might suggest. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #987 on: August 06, 2016, 06:19:26 AM »
One guess: it talks about the life and friends he had to leave behind in order to become a full time musician, hence the death of his previous life being musical because of where his new life was going.  I am probably off a bit, but that's not a bad guess. :lol

As for Deadhead, I can't put in my top tier of songs, but it is probably in the second tier.

Top tier:

Tiny Tears
Bend It Like Bender
Truth
Addicted
Earth Day

Second tier would included stuff like Deep Peace, Pixillate, Deadhead, Supercrush, Bastard, Grace, The Fluke, Stagnant, War, Ghost, etc.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »
I like Kev's interpretation of TDOM. Definitely makes sense out of the "my friends and I" lines, which otherwise seemed out of place to me.

OM and City are sister records, both inspired by Dev's time in LA post-Vai. If it's not exactly what Kev said, it's definitely about what the city does to you if you leave everything behind. Perhaps the city itself is the "death becoming musical." It would explain the voice recording at the end where he's walking around, uh, Tokyo? I think, and just kinda noting the ridiculous stuff in the city like the beer and cigarette machines.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #989 on: August 06, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
I am not familiar with much SYL (the little I have heard I did not care for, as speed metal is generally not my thing, especially when it's back to back to back...), so I can't speak to that.

Regarding me not listening to OM that much, the difference in sound between that and Infinity is probably a big reason.  Infinity has a very lush, warm sound, while OM has a more hard, cold sound, and the warm sound of Infinity as a whole is simply much more appealing to me than the cold sound of Ocean Machine. I would probably even concede that the songwriting on OM is probably a little better, but I simply enjoy Infinity more.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #990 on: August 06, 2016, 09:01:45 AM »
Top tier:
Bend It Like Bender

That's got to be my least favourite Devin song.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #991 on: August 06, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
Well, there's no accounting for taste...or lack thereof. :lol :biggrin:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #992 on: August 07, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »
This is easily my favorite Devin track since the awesome Ki/Decon/Ghost/Addicted days. In fact, I'd say it goes back to the Accelerated Evolution / Synchestra style. For me it feels as if the 'real' emotion is back again. Fantastic huge production a la AE albeit a bit cleaner. The spacey outro with the talking dude gives me a huge Devlab / The Death of Music vibe. I haven't been this psyched for his music in a long time. I also can't understand people who say this is a simple song. The structure is more experimental and building than a lot of the DTP stuff aside from Decon, and there's odd meters everywhere.

Favorite moments include the way he sings the first verse (beautiful falsetto) and ofcourse the chorus and guitar solo. Man, I really dig this.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #993 on: August 07, 2016, 02:38:31 PM »
I really love the falsetto part as well. It might be my favorite part of the song and goes perfect with the music. I wish there was a return towards the end.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: August 07, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
Top tier:
Bend It Like Bender

That's got to be my least favourite Devin song.  :lol

Absolutely awful, imo. There's actually nothing about it I like. Definitely not as bad as some Physicist songs, though, or some Epicloud stuff.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #995 on: August 07, 2016, 08:20:08 PM »
Bend It Like Bender is one of the songs that got me into Devin. Love that one.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #996 on: August 08, 2016, 06:29:11 AM »
Bend It Like Bender is a very happy, "party" song. Usually I don't like such songs, but that one is an exception. Even Devin's poppy side is good.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #997 on: August 08, 2016, 07:17:48 AM »
I liked the new single. Sounds fresh and tight. Looking forward to the album.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #998 on: August 09, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »
Dev will be doing a Q&A live on Facebook tomorrow  at 10am PST / 1:30pm EST / 6:30pm BST / 7:30pm CET

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #999 on: August 09, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »
HEY GUYS SHOULD I BUY TERRIA NOW? IT'S THE ONLY ONE BESIDES TRANSCENDENCE I DON'T OWN!

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1000 on: August 10, 2016, 04:38:34 AM »
Yes.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: August 10, 2016, 06:07:52 AM »
$3.99 shipping? Go for it. Great deal.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1002 on: August 10, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »
Bought Live at Royal Albert Hall DVD version at FYE while I was browsing the mall. The CD sounds great, way way better than Retinal Circus and By A Thread.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1004 on: August 10, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
Very nice. :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: August 11, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/dvntownsend/videos/1296457010379618/

Video of the Q&A

Cool, I've got it on while I have my morning cup of coffee in the office.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1006 on: August 11, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpg62tE_A0

A pretty neat documentary Dev's got going on.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1007 on: August 11, 2016, 09:17:58 AM »
Failure keeps getting better every time I listen to it.  It's a great track!  I would already say it's better than anything on Dark Matters.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:26:49 AM by nicmos »

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1008 on: August 11, 2016, 09:55:07 AM »

Always love these kinds of videos. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next one!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1009 on: August 11, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

Always love these kinds of videos. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next one!

Ditto, that was cool!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1010 on: August 12, 2016, 11:52:05 AM »
I liked the ending...

"Yeah, you say that then mother fucker"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: August 12, 2016, 02:46:34 PM »
Amazon UK Transcendence vinyl preorder dropped to £8.33 today. I suggest grabbing it before they realize the mistake! You won't find it cheaper anywhere.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1012 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:29 AM »
Just watched the documentary, really cool, I have one burning question that someone may be able to answer. Guitarist Dave Young (I think that's his name right?) looks really familiar and it took me a while to place it. If anyone has ever seen Slayer's DVD War at the Warfield, there are sections where hardcore Slayer fans are being interviewed. They interview one kid (and he looks about 16) which I SWEAR is Dave. Anyone ever seen this? Anyone confirm it's him?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1013 on: August 15, 2016, 02:20:51 AM »
Just watched the documentary, really cool, I have one burning question that someone may be able to answer. Guitarist Dave Young (I think that's his name right?) looks really familiar and it took me a while to place it. If anyone has ever seen Slayer's DVD War at the Warfield, there are sections where hardcore Slayer fans are being interviewed. They interview one kid (and he looks about 16) which I SWEAR is Dave. Anyone ever seen this? Anyone confirm it's him?

I haven't, but I just want to appreciate the immense creativity that went into naming that particular live DVD.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1014 on: August 15, 2016, 02:30:26 AM »

I haven't, but I just want to appreciate the immense creativity that went into naming that particular live DVD.

I love Slayer but the DVD is ridiculous  :lol it's obviously a live DVD but they also have all these interviews with the most fanatical fans. It is hilarious, I swear they picked the most ridiculous ones to feature on the DVD. It's impossible to take any of them seriously.

Sorry to side track the thread but check this out, if this isn't the funniest thing you see today I'll be surprised!! Please watch, it's only short:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s

I'll try to find the clip that I think is Dave as well. Don't really want to watch through the whole DVD to find it as it's only a short clip.