Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229499 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #385 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:37 AM »
Not surprised by Devin. That dude can write two albums in two days  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #386 on: July 26, 2015, 03:14:31 AM »
the problem I have with Dark Matters is that it took the "wacky" humor from Deconstruction (my least favorite part of that album), turned it up, and made the story more important than the music, unlike in Ziltoid and Deconstruction.
Agreed. In those two albums there is a story and it's funny, but there are also a lot of serious undertones going on which can be heard in the music. Dark Matters is just one big musical. And like Herman, I hate musicals.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
I was telling a friend recently about Sky Blue, since he hasn't heard it yet.  He is a fan, but not hardcore like me; he tends to like the more catchy stuff like Addicted and Epicloud.  Anyway, he asked me where I'd rank it among his better albums and I had no idea.  I was like, "Well, it's not as awesome as Terria or Addicted (my favorites), but definitely better than Physicist, Ziltoid and Dark Matters."  Ranking the rest is always difficult because they are all so damn strong (not counting Devlab and The Hummer). 

I think I am about ready to put Casualties of Cool near the top, though, especially when factoring in the bonus disc.  Lately, I cannot get enough of it. :coolio

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #388 on: August 03, 2015, 07:02:29 AM »
So am I the only one who ranks Synchestra near the top. I never see any of you guys bring it up.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #389 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
Synchestra is great when I'm in the mood for it. It has some of his(IMO) best songs such as Pixillate, Gaia, and Let it Roll->Hypergeek->Triumph. But half of the songs on the album don't seem to go anywhere(Judgement, Mental Tan) and Notes From Africa goes on a bit too long and doesn't need all that empty space at the end. Sunshine and Happines and Vampolka/Vampira never did much for me.

Overall it's very much a Middle-Tier album for me.
On a side note, the album sounds fucking great production wise, and I think it has some of RVP's best drum work.

Offline Onno

« Reply #390 on: August 03, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
I like Synchestra a great lot. +1 for the production and RVP's drumming too. It just sounds awesome. Especially love his performances on Gaia and Triumph. It's an album I really need to take the time for and immerse myself in, just like Terria, CoC and basically a lot of Devin's other albums. It hasn't grabbed me as some as the others do, which is why I might rank it near the bottom. Still, it's a really good album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #391 on: August 03, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »
I absolutely love Synchestra, even though I do think the latter half is a big ponderous (Judgement, A Simply Lullaby and Sunset are all good, but that whole sequence seems to go on too long).  In fact, for quite a while, I always ranked Synchestra higher than most did (I always had it higher than Ocean Machine, for example), but it has been surpassed by so many records he has done in the last 5-6 years that I cannot put it top 5 anymore. I still love it to pieces, though. :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #392 on: August 23, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
I love how Z2 has been received here.  The hype and all, and the release was what I knew would happen.
..upset with it. As sadly, I've noticed most new albums are received.

I, for one, enjoy it a lot. It's fun, and the Narrative parts add to it. It does make me feel how an invasion would be, not serious yet apocalyptic. 

If you know Devins humor then I'm in awe how one can't understand these two records.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
Huh?  It has nothing to do with understanding his humor; I get and love his sense of humor.  Dark Matters just isn't that great musically, in the opinion of some of us.  That shouldn't be hard to understand. :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #394 on: August 23, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
his humor on Ziltoid was spot on; it was hit-and-miss, mostly miss on Deconstruction, and completely off on Dark Matters for me
Deconstruction has a ton of great songs to make up for the humor though, whereas even the best Dark Matters songs aren't exceptional, and a lot of it's just plain forgettable

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #395 on: August 23, 2015, 07:01:30 PM »
Why is that though?

It's the same humor and musical as his past efforts. It just makes me wonder. Did he just go in giving in to fan pressure wanting another Ziltoid? Which,  ironically, most fans didn't enjoy. As I have suspected would/always happens.

It boggles my mind...Although I enjoy the lesser favorites of most bands here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #396 on: August 23, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »
ziltoid's humor was wacky but in a more non-sequitur kind of way
deconstruction was a little immature at some points and non-sequitur at other points
dark matters' humor is either all stolen from ziltoid or more immature humor

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #397 on: August 23, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
Like the Poozers, at least the fart noises have a concept and make sense.

I get a double entendre with The concept.  Mainly making fun of the Ziltoid fans wanting more. It does feel he didn't want to do it, just he said fuck it and had fun with it taking jabs as well. 

Now, Sky Blue is where it shines.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #398 on: August 23, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »

It's the same humor and musical as his past efforts. 

It sounds like you are assuming that all musical efforts of his are created equal, so long as they are in the same style.  They are not. 

For example, I think most of us would agree that Addicted, Epicloud and Sky Blue are all in the same style, but the musical quality is not the same across all three.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: August 27, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
According to Dev's Twitter, the Blu Ray of the Royal Albert Hall show comes out November 19th(Europe) and the 27th(North America).

Also, Casualties of Cool is being re-released next year with a DVD of the show they did at Union Chapel, but no bonus disc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
According to Dev's Twitter, the Blu Ray of the Royal Albert Hall show comes out November 19th(Europe) and the 27th(North America).

Also, Casualties of Cool is being re-released next year with a DVD of the show they did at Union Chapel, but no bonus disc.

Nice, I am going to have to pick that up.  I really like the Retinal Circus blu-ray, I still watch it or songs from it often.  I don't know much about that show, but I'd imagine its a great performance and I have an obsession with concert blu rays.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: August 27, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »

Nice, I am going to have to pick that up.  I really like the Retinal Circus blu-ray, I still watch it or songs from it often.  I don't know much about that show, but I'd imagine its a great performance and I have an obsession with concert blu rays.

He played Funeral, Bastard, and The Death of Music at the RAH gig. It's worth buying for those 3 songs alone.

Offline Onno

« Reply #402 on: August 27, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »
^What he said.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
From Devin's Twitter:
Good morning. :) ok, I think the next dtp record will be called 'Transcendence'. It will be out before the symphony.

I'm just hoping it doesn't sound like yet another Epicloud or Sky Blue.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:15 AM »
I wouldn't mind another that sounds like Ghost, though
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
Fucking amazing news all around! I cannot wait for those concerts to release, and even more so for the next record!! I loved and still love the new sound from the past couple albums and I'd not mind that at all; it does sound it like it might with that name. But I'm up for anything from the man. STOAKED!!!!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
Ill take another Epicloud or Sky Blue style album, but what does "before the symphony" mean?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: September 23, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
Ill take another Epicloud or Sky Blue style album, but what does "before the symphony" mean?

He's been writing an actual symphony for months now. Longer than Transcendence.

Offline Onno

« Reply #408 on: September 24, 2015, 06:35:34 AM »
From Devin's Twitter:
Good morning. :) ok, I think the next dtp record will be called 'Transcendence'. It will be out before the symphony.

I'm just hoping it doesn't sound like yet another Epicloud or Sky Blue.
Or like another Dark Matters.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: September 24, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »
is it time for devin's djent album then :neverusethis:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #410 on: September 24, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
I could go for another album like Ki, personally. I don't expect that, but I really liked the mood of that album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 16, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9vnQ-bJyc&feature=youtu.be

Trailer for the upcoming live album/DVD Ziltoid Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 16, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9vnQ-bJyc&feature=youtu.be

Trailer for the upcoming live album/DVD Ziltoid Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Happy it sounds so much livelier and better than Z2. This may be the definitive version of "Namaste."

Everybody hating on the piped-in vocals and other multitracks from past live releases will still be disappointed, though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #413 on: October 16, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
Holy fucking hell I want that right this second!! That sounds and looks absolutely incredible. So many bumps of geese just from that trailer. That's a day one for me. I'd order now if I could.

RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

« Reply #414 on: October 16, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
Not gonna watch the trailer, I don't want spoilers. Just gonna preorder it ASAP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 16, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
Will be buying this  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #416 on: October 17, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
I love how Z2 has been received here.  The hype and all, and the release was what I knew would happen.
..upset with it. As sadly, I've noticed most new albums are received.

I, for one, enjoy it a lot. It's fun, and the Narrative parts add to it. It does make me feel how an invasion would be, not serious yet apocalyptic. 

If you know Devins humor then I'm in awe how one can't understand these two records.

A bit late on this, but honestly Z2 met my expectations for better or worse. I didn't think Ziltoid needed a sequel in the first place. Dark Matters is enjoyable but it seems kinda unecessary to me. It doesn't have the magic of ZTO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #417 on: October 17, 2015, 01:31:32 AM »
I don't get why so many people hate on Dark Matters. Along with Sky Blue I prefer it to all the pre-DTP albums.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #418 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:29 AM »
I'm don't understand the hate either. It's not my favorite, but it's up there rotating in the top 5 for me. There are a few songs that are either clearly meant for the theatrics or that I'm not quite as into, but all in all I think it's a fantastic album. Sky Blue is my favorite out of the two, but other than OM, that might be my favorite album. Again though...my tastes and favorites change all the time but that one is one of the more consistent ones. I can't wait to hear and see it live!! Everyone participating in those types of live shows is always so into it and it doesn't look or feel forced at all, everyone is so entranced, I love it.

RIP DTP.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #419 on: October 17, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
People hate DM because it isn't a Ziltoid album. ZTO was a complex album that combined many of Devin's facettes, DM is poppy and one-sided. The songwriting approach on DM isn't different from Addicted, Epicloud and Sky Blue. I want a new Devin album with complex songwriting and DM was an opportunity to break out of the Devin Townsend Project cycle of one-sided albums.