Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229326 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2555 on: November 14, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »
Enjoyed it much more today. The only track that made me feel how I did the first time round was Heavy Burden, which is still a bit of a head-scratcher.

The rest of it sat nicely. It's a pretty cool direction, actually. I was expecting something more typically structured, like DTP, but it's not that at all.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2556 on: November 14, 2022, 02:32:04 PM »
Now at the end of the second disc. Well, I predict I'll be doing s full 180 on my initial impression!

That's a lot of great stuff on Nightwork. The last three tracks are quiet magic.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2557 on: November 14, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »
Lightwork is a cool album although I feel the production, especially drums, is a bit sterile. Also all those layers kind of make it less powerful. On the other hand all those layers make it sound immersive and rather pleasant to listen to. I don’t know - I like it in any case. There’s some heavy sections on the bonus disc that would benefit from dirtier sounding drums. I mean, it’s all so controlled and neat. It’s a taste thing but Dev’s music almost sounds too perfect.

Weird thing about Call of the Void: at 04:05 there’s a chorus where the first part of the sentence sounds a bit too low in intonation. I always forget about it but it catches me off guard every time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 03:34:35 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2558 on: November 14, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »
I agree about the production.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: November 15, 2022, 09:40:01 AM »
Giving the album some listens and it's much better upon more listens.  The album is just typical Devin "oddness".  I'm not sure how else to put it, the songs are just not easy to digest.  I'm not sure I would rate this as near top end Devin, but it's definitely growing on me to become something enjoyable.  I've also listened to Nightwork a couple times and while some tracks did stand out as pretty good, I'm not sure I agree with others saying Nightwork is better than Lightwork.  I still need more listens though, it's a lot of dense music when you consider both albums. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2560 on: November 15, 2022, 01:34:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/1592360862249254913

We start writing on Saturday. (Hi
@CheAimee
 :)

Dev starts writing the next Casualties of Cool record Saturday.
And if anyone missed it, here’s a COC demo he and Ché started working on a while back.
https://youtu.be/p2GF-k-V_yU

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2561 on: November 15, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »

@CheAimee

And if anyone missed it, here’s a COC demo he and Ché started working on a while back.

:corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2562 on: November 15, 2022, 04:48:10 PM »

@CheAimee

aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2563 on: December 30, 2022, 06:10:11 AM »
Call me a slacker, but I have finally gotten around to giving Lightwork dedicated listens lately.  Not sure what I think of it, to be honest.  It's definitely different, and I give Devin a lot of props for that, but not sure I like many of the results.  2014 was really the last time Devin made an album that blew me away from start to finish (Casualties of Cool), so the days of him knocking it out of the park on a consistent basis may just be a thing of the past, for me anyway.  Still a huge fan of his, but this album makes me a little sad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: December 30, 2022, 07:58:50 AM »
Call me a slacker, but I have finally gotten around to giving Lightwork dedicated listens lately.  Not sure what I think of it, to be honest.  It's definitely different, and I give Devin a lot of props for that, but not sure I like many of the results.  2014 was really the last time Devin made an album that blew me away from start to finish (Casualties of Cool), so the days of him knocking it out of the park on a consistent basis may just be a thing of the past, for me anyway.  Still a huge fan of his, but this album makes me a little sad.

Yeah, I'm kind of with you here.  He's made good songs since then (I would say Transcendence in 2016 was his last good album) but the consistency of making music I'm not into is there. I'm willing to think a lot of it was the Pandemic, but I'm starting to think his break up of DTP was a mistake (at least in terms of making music I personally enjoy, I think the break up might have been good for Devin's personal situation)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2565 on: December 31, 2022, 01:58:21 AM »
After posting opposing opinions of it, I've not been back to Lightwork much, for whatever reason. Nothing bad there but isn't calling me back.

I'm not convinced of the habit of releasing two albums at once, either. "Here's my artistic statement." is what I want. A succinct album of great stuff you really mean. The right music and the right running time. Regardless of song quality, the extra disc of stuff that didn't make it to the main album weakens the whole, for me.

(Felt the similarly about The Absolute Universe. "Here's a big dump of music we recorded. We can't edit or work out what to do with it. Maybe you can make sense of it...")

I get that Dev has the right intentions but I'd prefer an outstanding EP, tbh.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2566 on: December 31, 2022, 10:02:33 AM »
I'm not convinced of the habit of releasing two albums at once, either. "Here's my artistic statement." is what I want. A succinct album of great stuff you really mean. The right music and the right running time. Regardless of song quality, the extra disc of stuff that didn't make it to the main album weakens the whole, for me.

That's always what the "main album" is. The other is clearly just bonus stuff / leftovers (with the exception of maybe Snuggles which was intentionally meant to be a contrast to The Puzzle) and I don't see how it affects the proper album at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: December 31, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »

That's always what the "main album" is. The other is clearly just bonus stuff / leftovers (with the exception of maybe Snuggles which was intentionally meant to be a contrast to The Puzzle) and I don't see how it affects the proper album at all.

And Nightwork isn't meant to contrast Lightwork? I don't know, I see both sides of this.  I think it's great for the fans to get to hear all the music created, but I also do think that releasing basically a separate album of bsides, it's almost too much at once and takes away some focus on the main album.  Especially when a lot of people consider the left over tracks to be better than the album tracks, which I think is the case for some songs over the last few albums.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2568 on: December 31, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »
but I also do think that releasing basically a separate album of bsides, it's almost too much at once and takes away some focus on the main album.

Yeah, I don't disagree there, though I think listeners have some responsibility to pace themselves if that much music is too overwhelming for them, and to focus on what's clearly the non-bonus material. My initial reaction to Empath was so surprisingly negative that I did enjoy the bonus disc more at first, and I still think some songs on Transcendence should have been swapped out for some songs on the bonus disc, but apart from that I merely view each of them as neat little extras that give hardcore fans such as myself a handful of good songs that otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day. None of them work well as standalone albums, even though the sequencing and the seamless transitions help. If there's one thing I think Devin should do differently is maybe present and talk about the bonus discs in a way that doesn't make them sound like extra albums, which he does tend to do. I don't view them that way, because they'd be pretty lackluster albums if they were.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2569 on: December 31, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »
but I also do think that releasing basically a separate album of bsides, it's almost too much at once and takes away some focus on the main album.

Yeah, I don't disagree there, though I think listeners have some responsibility to pace themselves if that much music is too overwhelming for them, and to focus on what's clearly the non-bonus material. My initial reaction to Empath was so surprisingly negative that I did enjoy the bonus disc more at first, and I still think some songs on Transcendence should have been swapped out for some songs on the bonus disc, but apart from that I merely view each of them as neat little extras that give hardcore fans such as myself a handful of good songs that otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day. None of them work well as standalone albums, even though the sequencing and the seamless transitions help. If there's one thing I think Devin should do differently is maybe present and talk about the bonus discs in a way that doesn't make them sound like extra albums, which he does tend to do. I don't view them that way, because they'd be pretty lackluster albums if they were.

Nightwork VS Lightwork (part six of seven)

He explains what defines a record for him, and that Nightwork represents how disjointed his life was and that he felt lost, which led to him asking GGGarth to help him out with this album.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2570 on: March 10, 2023, 09:40:01 PM »
Posted this in the Discography Discussion Tracker Thread, posting here for more visibility

Would anyone be interested in a redo of the Devin Townsend discography discussion thread? Ultimetalhead did one back in 2014-2016 covering most of his major releases up to Z2, seen here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41621.0

Ultimetalhead did a great job, but he left out a lot, and Dev's been busy since then. I'd love to do my own take on this starting from the beginning and covering EVERYTHING. And I do mean EVERYTHING.
I'm talking Grey Skies, Noisescapes, Strapping Young Lad, guest appearances, bonus discs, live albums, Contain Us. You name it.
I made a list of everything I'd like to cover and it's a whopping 62 releases. Not everything warrants its own post of course, and some stuff would be lumped together. For example: Epicloud/Epiclouder/The Retinal Circus would all be one post, all of the Quarantine-era stuff would be one post, etc.

It's a heavy undertaking I'm prepared to undertake, but obviously if there's no interest, then I won't waste my time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 09:46:12 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2571 on: March 10, 2023, 09:50:05 PM »
I’d certainly follow!

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #2572 on: March 11, 2023, 01:14:36 AM »
Me too. Big fan here

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2573 on: March 11, 2023, 05:13:48 AM »
I've been getting into Devin more in the last few months (the albums I didn't know before) and I saw him live so I would also follow. Been converted from a casual fan into a big fan.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: March 11, 2023, 05:47:23 AM »
Go for it. It's an incredible amount of content to go through and I may personally not be able to follow it all but if you have the desire I think you should do it. Maybe there's some gems to be discovered

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2575 on: March 11, 2023, 10:18:23 AM »
I'd follow; I have no interest in the Strapping Young Lad stuff, but as he aged, matured, and started wearing suits (haha!) I got into it more and more. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2576 on: March 11, 2023, 10:56:17 AM »
I'd follow; I have no interest in the Strapping Young Lad stuff, but as he aged, matured, and started wearing suits (haha!) I got into it more and more.

Don't forget shaving off the skullet

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2577 on: March 11, 2023, 11:06:23 AM »
Posted this in the Discography Discussion Tracker Thread, posting here for more visibility

Would anyone be interested in a redo of the Devin Townsend discography discussion thread? Ultimetalhead did one back in 2014-2016 covering most of his major releases up to Z2, seen here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41621.0

Ultimetalhead did a great job, but he left out a lot, and Dev's been busy since then. I'd love to do my own take on this starting from the beginning and covering EVERYTHING. And I do mean EVERYTHING.
I'm talking Grey Skies, Noisescapes, Strapping Young Lad, guest appearances, bonus discs, live albums, Contain Us. You name it.
I made a list of everything I'd like to cover and it's a whopping 62 releases. Not everything warrants its own post of course, and some stuff would be lumped together. For example: Epicloud/Epiclouder/The Retinal Circus would all be one post, all of the Quarantine-era stuff would be one post, etc.

It's a heavy undertaking I'm prepared to undertake, but obviously if there's no interest, then I won't waste my time.
Are you also going to go over the various albums that he did production, engineering, and mixing?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: March 11, 2023, 11:24:45 AM »

Are you also going to go over the various albums that he did production, engineering, and mixing?

Sure. Albums like that aren't included in my overall list of releases, but I'll touch on them along the way

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2579 on: March 11, 2023, 11:35:54 AM »
Although I know most of them I really like only couple of his records. But I would follow nonetheless, to see if I‘m missing something.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2580 on: March 12, 2023, 03:19:50 AM »
Glad to see there's some interest! I've already started writing the first few entries for this series.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2581 on: March 13, 2023, 09:22:25 AM »
Nice! I'm in for this.  I know all of his stuff (and enjoy a good bit of it), except for the ambient releases.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2582 on: March 15, 2023, 01:26:25 PM »
Been revisiting Empath since I love Lightwork so much. When Empath was first released, I just didn't get it. It's one of those chaotic Devin albums (kind of like Deconstruction). So I really got deep with Lightwork, I think it's his best work and I loved the idea that he worked with a producer to kind of control that "chaos". Fast forward till yesterday and Empath is clicking...it's slowly clicking to the point where I can actually listen to it in one single sitting.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2583 on: March 15, 2023, 01:31:22 PM »
Empath is still the only album I can think of that I flat-out disliked my first listen and gradually grew to love. That process was even documented in this thread. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2584 on: March 15, 2023, 01:35:50 PM »
Empath is amazing. One of my favorites he's done in the last decade if not more.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2585 on: March 15, 2023, 01:43:28 PM »
Empath is amazing. One of my favorites he's done in the last decade if not more.

Couldn't agree more. It's not all solid gold but with songs like Why? you can't really go wrong.

Empath is still the only album I can think of that I flat-out disliked my first listen and gradually grew to love. That process was even documented in this thread. :lol

I don't flat out dislike the last three, but I hope that I will come to enjoy them more than I currently do.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2586 on: March 15, 2023, 01:58:40 PM »
I was actually surprised to find out Empath had some mixed reception (i just heard it a few months ago first time) but I guess I can sort of see it. If you prefer a Devy album that has a specific mood, Empath is all over the place. But on the flip side it feels like a greatest hits album almost. It covers a lot of ground from what he does musically but there's just so much good stuff on there. The fact that Singularity is so good as a 23 minute closer is just the cherry on top after everything else is so great. :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2587 on: March 15, 2023, 02:09:54 PM »
It's definitely underappreciated, and my favorite of his since Epicloud.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2588 on: March 15, 2023, 02:35:49 PM »
Singularity is among the best songs he has ever done.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: March 15, 2023, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm sure this has been shared before but it's hilarious  :lol
Amazon Echo: Devin Townsend Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5FVxyWuO-Y