Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229292 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2486 on: March 01, 2022, 07:29:37 PM »
Devin Townsend Surprise Releases New 50-Minute Track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy6bwgL_Fw8

I got about 10 minutes into it and that was enough.  Nice ambient piece of music, but I can't see that being something I'd ever go out of my way to hear.  Sounds like the music that ought to be playing when I get my monthly full body massage.  :hat :hat

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2487 on: May 04, 2022, 07:42:22 PM »
My Puzzle Boxset is finally shipping.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2488 on: May 04, 2022, 08:51:30 PM »
I just want to finally see the movie part of this damn thing...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2489 on: May 04, 2022, 09:45:05 PM »
I just want to finally see the movie part of this damn thing...

Same...

And also see how soft and squishy the plushy toy is.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2490 on: May 05, 2022, 04:54:52 AM »
Anyone know how that Lightwork album is coming along? That's all I'm really interested in.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2491 on: May 05, 2022, 06:00:34 AM »
He was pretty much done with it, and was close to the deadline, but was unhappy with how it sounded so he’s working on it a bit more. ETA is September, last I heard.

It’s also Dev’s 50th Birthday today!! :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2492 on: May 30, 2022, 12:54:47 PM »
I just received my Box Set and it is a big box...You open it up and the video screen is in the lid, there's a tape over the sensor you have to take off to let it play, it plays when you open the box, no volume control either but it's still neat. I don't have time to watch the video. The booklet is really cool, it's comic book like and has some pretty neat artwork. Snuggles and Puzzle are on USB. The plushy is a nice size and the figures are pretty neat too...

I would say money well spent, and it's up there with my Casualties of Cool boxset.

Also...I put in the USB's and there is a web-link on the files that gives you access to a website with all the stuff that is on the USB. The websites are actually pretty neat. The USB's also have all the other goodies, such as his Sisters e-book in PDF.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 04:39:59 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2493 on: May 31, 2022, 07:17:07 AM »
Saw Devin last night, as support for DT, but he was solo and did an acoustic set. Mentioned something about the band leaving and financial stuff (the latter on Instagram). As per usual, he did an outstanding job with his act - lots of jokes, etc. His voice, even after 2 months on tour so far, was killer and the lack of other instrumentation just made it stand out even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9XdKhhzFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJ5gQV829k

Offline Kram

« Reply #2494 on: May 31, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
Saw Devin last night, as support for DT, but he was solo and did an acoustic set. Mentioned something about the band leaving and financial stuff (the latter on Instagram). As per usual, he did an outstanding job with his act - lots of jokes, etc. His voice, even after 2 months on tour so far, was killer and the lack of other instrumentation just made it stand out even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9XdKhhzFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJ5gQV829k
He had to let his band go in the middle of a tour due to financial reasons?  I think that's the first I've ever heard of anything like that.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2495 on: May 31, 2022, 12:07:17 PM »
Yea, what happened?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2496 on: May 31, 2022, 12:09:17 PM »
Yea, what happened?

This is what Devin posted on his IG

"Due to cancellations early in the tour, it has made it necessary for us to make some difficult decisions for the last two shows. It was either I cancelled the shows entirely, or catch a ride with Dream Theater and play acoustic. I hope you enjoy it… it’s the best solution in a crummy financial scenario. Thanks Sofia, Bulgaria, thank you all :)"

I thought DT only cancelled one show but I haven't followed the European run this time around. Were there any more shows cancelled? Was it more than 1?

Offline Kram

« Reply #2497 on: May 31, 2022, 12:11:45 PM »
Yea, what happened?

This is what Devin posted on his IG

"Due to cancellations early in the tour, it has made it necessary for us to make some difficult decisions for the last two shows. It was either I cancelled the shows entirely, or catch a ride with Dream Theater and play acoustic. I hope you enjoy it… it’s the best solution in a crummy financial scenario. Thanks Sofia, Bulgaria, thank you all :)"

I thought DT only cancelled one show but I haven't followed the European run this time around. Were there any more shows cancelled? Was it more than 1?
I thought it was just the one show in Spain?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2498 on: May 31, 2022, 12:39:59 PM »
He mentioned they couldn't even bring merch, "so buy more DT merch!" he said.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2499 on: May 31, 2022, 12:41:47 PM »
Hmmm - the whole thing sounds strange to me. But what do I know..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: May 31, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »
Yeah the situation is very odd and shitty, that qoute doesn't mentioning letting the band go though.  Sounds more like logistical issues getting place to place.  But I honestly don't know.  If he had to let his band go due to finances, that's really terrible.  But I admire him pushing through.  I saw a tweet where he mentioned he didn't even have his gear so was asking someone if he could borrow an acoustic guitar. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2501 on: May 31, 2022, 01:33:28 PM »

This would be weird as Arch Echo had merch in the US tour. I don't think I've ever seen a DT support acts NOT selling merch...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2502 on: May 31, 2022, 01:38:45 PM »
He definitely had merch with him when I saw DT&DT in Amsterdam just two weeks ago.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2503 on: May 31, 2022, 01:39:18 PM »
He had merch on the Euro tour. Probably just didn't have room for it!

I hope this isn't some kind of situation where Dream Theater could have been more flexible with their touring capacities and saved the day for the whole band but didn't.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2504 on: May 31, 2022, 01:42:27 PM »

This would be weird as Arch Echo had merch in the US tour. I don't think I've ever seen a DT support acts NOT selling merch...

I am pretty sure it costs to ship out Merch over seas.

This is very revealing. It's showing that musicians do not make as much money as people assume. And also, how much difficult it is financially to play across seas. A lot of stuff has raised in price and this has an effect on a lot of things people do not realize are integral to making such an event happen.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2505 on: May 31, 2022, 01:45:15 PM »

I am pretty sure it costs to ship out Merch over seas.

This is very revealing. It's showing that musicians do not make as much money as people assume. And also, how much difficult it is financially to play across seas. A lot of stuff has raised in price and this has an effect on a lot of things people do not realize are integral to making such an event happen.

His bio reveals a lot of the finances he went through when the had the Devin Townsend Project band going on. He said he was always stressed about money since he felt it was his responsability to take care of the other band members and managers and paying storage for equipment, etc. For Devin, unfortunately, it's nothing new. He has been through this so he knew it was better to pull the plug a bit sooner and not end up in red.

I think he has always done better financially better as a headliner than support (as this case shows it). Hopefully he can get back into a headlining tour soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: May 31, 2022, 01:55:11 PM »

I hope this isn't some kind of situation where Dream Theater could have been more flexible with their touring capacities and saved the day for the whole band but didn't.

It really seems like logistics issues.  Not sure how DT could save them, there's only so much room in the bus.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2507 on: May 31, 2022, 02:20:55 PM »

When I saw Fish last, on the 13th Star tour, he did I think like 20 shows, and he would schedule off-property "meet and greets", meaning he would show up at a local bar and sign shit; he had Yatta bring all the merch they could because the venues were taking a cut and he didn't want to pay it.  I remember in Philly he showed up and he was in a foul mood because he got the place wrong and then he didn't have his full march offering; it was I think a box of t-shirts or something. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2508 on: May 31, 2022, 02:26:57 PM »

When I saw Fish last, on the 13th Star tour, he did I think like 20 shows, and he would schedule off-property "meet and greets", meaning he would show up at a local bar and sign shit; he had Yatta bring all the merch they could because the venues were taking a cut and he didn't want to pay it.  I remember in Philly he showed up and he was in a foul mood because he got the place wrong and then he didn't have his full march offering; it was I think a box of t-shirts or something.

I follow Fish on Facebook and occasionally watch his videos/read his posts. He's talked about this quite a bit, especially in Europe where the venues are taking a larger and larger cut of the merch revenues. I'm not sure if this is related but between that and other issues (Visas?) I can see why bands and artists could be running into major issues touring.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2509 on: May 31, 2022, 02:29:37 PM »

It really seems like logistics issues.  Not sure how DT could save them, there's only so much room in the bus.
Yes, let's not start pointing fingers when we have no idea what really is going on here.  It does seem odd to me though, that by canceling one show, he would not be able to bring his band with him for the final two show's of the tour.  I mean, you would think they have already rented the buses/trucks etc for the full tour ahead of time.  And I would of thought the promoter of the cancelled show would be the one taking it in the ass on that. But none of us know what's really going on, and we're all just speculating for the sake of it. Lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2510 on: May 31, 2022, 03:20:08 PM »

I have read/heard the same things about venues taking higher cuts on merch. The Neal Morse Band in this European tour will NOT be accepting credit cards at all. Not sure why but that is what Neal posted on FB. Maybe CC processing fees, exchange rate, and cuts for venues just take a lot of the profit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2511 on: May 31, 2022, 09:02:08 PM »
Reading this last page and this is really interesting. Would love to hear the reasons for all of this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2512 on: June 01, 2022, 12:28:13 AM »
This sounds sucky for all. Be interested to hear more.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2513 on: June 01, 2022, 03:59:21 AM »
I don't think DT limited him in any way, if anything they went out of their way to help him out. In one of his comedic rants he thanked them and the crew for taking care of him, cooking, etc. so it does seem like he was kind of like hitch-hiking and just having 2 acoustic guitars with him. As for the band, he said they left but "they didn't piss each other or anything" but that's as far as he went into it. I guess he couldn't afford to bring merch or there was not enough room.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2514 on: June 01, 2022, 06:41:14 AM »
I think he ran out of merch just basing it off on people saying he was selling some during this European run. I guess he couldn't get enough stock in time for the last few shows and decided to cut the losses.

By the way, he just announced the Lightwork European Tour for 2023. Guessing new album announcement is coming soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2515 on: June 01, 2022, 06:56:50 AM »
If the guy can't bring his band, I'd imagine it's the same reason he couldn't bring the merch.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2516 on: June 01, 2022, 07:27:05 AM »
By the way, he just announced the Lightwork European Tour for 2023. Guessing new album announcement is coming soon.

If you look in the bottom-right corner of the tour dates image it says it's releasing late October.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2517 on: June 01, 2022, 07:30:58 AM »

If you look in the bottom-right corner of the tour dates image it says it's releasing late October.

Nice catch. Loving the artwork!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2518 on: June 21, 2022, 06:48:44 AM »
Devin Townsend and InsideOut Music are very pleased to announce that the new studio album ‘Lightwork’, produced by Devin and Gggarth Richardson (Biffy Clyro, Rage Against The Machine), will be released on October 28th, 2022. The front cover artwork was designed by long-time friend and designer Travis Smith.

The album will be accompanied by a companion record called ‘Nightwork’, available as part of the limited edition versions of the release. More details on the formats will follow in the coming months, along with pre-order details.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2519 on: June 21, 2022, 07:13:44 AM »
https://youtu.be/GTFIfWemBak

2023 European Tour Promo has some new music in it.
Sounds like something off of Transcendence.