Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229229 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2450 on: December 03, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »
I'd say Puzzle is his Magnum Opus. It is a culmination of his entire spectrum of genre styles he has done. These are the pieces to the puzzle. That's what I hear anyways.

I enjoyed the listen when I was doing my school work. Kittenhead and Me and the Moon are neat songs. Anxiety in Pajamas, perfectly describes itself.

I haven't heard Snuggles yet, but The Puzzle is something special and I enjoy it for what it is.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2451 on: December 03, 2021, 04:15:41 PM »
Listened to the first few tracks of Puzzle today but wasn't grabbed. Went on to listen to Empath again, though, which is still awesome for me.

It took me over 6 months after it was released to be in the right mood for Empath, though, so I'm not in a rush.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2452 on: December 04, 2021, 07:33:35 AM »
Devin is always an auto-buy for me, so I will be getting these today. 

I thought the main disc of Empath was a bit underwhelming (some great moments, but they were fleeting), so I am ready for a Devin studio album to hit that sweet spot from start to finish again.  I listen to the Tests of Manhood bonus disc more now than I do Empath.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2453 on: December 04, 2021, 08:11:16 AM »
I've listened to both albums once each.

First impression of Puzzle is that I need at least 10 more listens before I can wrap my head around my first listen. Puzzle is a very accurate title for this album.
To those saying the album isn't for them, I totally understand. I would encourage you to at least check out the closing track, Monuments of Glitch, before dismissing it entirely. That song to me seems to be the most "typical Devin" sounding song, if that makes sense.

Snuggles is one big, ethereal, ambient mush and I'm all for it. Ghost is one of my favorite Devin albums, and although Snuggles isn't as song-focused as Ghost, it still scratches that itch for this aspect of Devin's sound.

I'm waiting till my physical copy arrives with the Blu-Ray to listen to them again, but overall I really like this duology.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2454 on: December 07, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
WTF I never understand anything Devin. I am not a diehard fan or anything so just check him out once in a while and there's a couple of songs with him I often spin. Then suddenly Spotify mentions there's a new album out; ok nice! It's long big etc. but when I start it I hear a live audience? But at the same time I am sure it's not live. Just a sample I guess for some reason that fits? Anyway, then I come here to get answers and everyone talks about Snuggles. Even more confused. Check him on Spotify again and voila, another album just released?!

Firstly; who has the time to do that? Secondly; how dare he! Thirdly; are they both released at the same time as some kind of double album thingy?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2455 on: December 07, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »
Don't forget when he released three different albums (counting Sky Blue and Dark Matters as separate) in 2014. This isn't exactly new for him. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2456 on: December 07, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
okay, I'm pretty confident that The Puzzle is one of the best things Devin has ever done. Holy shit, what a record!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2457 on: December 08, 2021, 02:34:27 AM »
Don't forget when he released three different albums (counting Sky Blue and Dark Matters as separate) in 2014. This isn't exactly new for him. :lol

Haha yeah, that's what I am saying! It's fun however, he is a creative soul and not knowing anything about what he is doing until the day it's released adds some excitement. I like Devin so much that I almost feel like I am forcing myself to like the music sometimes. I really want to love it more than I do. However Empath was cool and this seems interesting! Will def give it a couple of spins 😊

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: December 08, 2021, 03:08:54 AM »
Devin is pretty active on Twitter if you are interested in following what he is working on so it isn't a surprise

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2459 on: December 08, 2021, 03:02:40 PM »
I'm struggling to resonate with The Puzzle. Despite the album being built upon "jams", ironically my biggest problem with it is that hardly any ideas feel developed enough. The moment something cool gets introduced it's gone seconds later. I get that the chaotic and schizophrenic nature of the album is the whole point, but it's not something I particularly enjoy.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: December 09, 2021, 12:35:03 AM »
I almost get the feeling that now that Devin has gotten these works out of his system, that the next album he's almost finished with "Lightwork" is going to be something most o fhis fans will really enjoy.  It seems he follows up his more experimental albums with something really good.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2461 on: December 09, 2021, 01:07:16 AM »
It seems he follows up his more experimental albums with something really good.

And what if the 'more experimental albums' are actually 'something really good'?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: December 09, 2021, 01:44:09 AM »
It seems he follows up his more experimental albums with something really good.

And what if the 'more experimental albums' are actually 'something really good'?

Yeah, I probably shouldn't word it that way, but for my tastes. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2463 on: December 09, 2021, 03:16:22 AM »
I almost get the feeling that now that Devin has gotten these works out of his system, that the next album he's almost finished with "Lightwork" is going to be something most o fhis fans will really enjoy.  It seems he follows up his more experimental albums with something really good.

I don't have a Puzzle/Snuggles shaped hole in my musical heart at the moment.

Really looking forward to Lightwork. I seem to remember Dev said he was writing with an outside producer for that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: December 09, 2021, 03:20:33 AM »

I don't have a Puzzle/Snuggles shaped hole in my musical heart at the moment.

Really looking forward to Lightwork. I seem to remember Dev said he was writing with an outside producer for that.

He mentioned a surprise guest too

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2465 on: December 09, 2021, 05:32:45 AM »
cue Diego Tejeida
Squ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: December 09, 2021, 05:53:43 AM »
cue Diego Tejeida

That wouldn't be a surprise though, the hint sounded like a bigger name that would be kind of a shock.  Similar to Chad Kroeger having a guest spot on Empath since he alluded to the guest on Empath

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2467 on: December 09, 2021, 08:59:19 AM »
cue Diego Tejeida

If you didn't notice. He's on Puzzle. :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2468 on: December 09, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »
I wish The Puzzle had some song-by-song credits. I know Diego's on there but I have no idea where. :lol

The weird synth boops on The Yugas feel like something he'd do, but I'm probably way off there.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2469 on: December 09, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
I wish The Puzzle had some song-by-song credits. I know Diego's on there but I have no idea where. :lol

The weird synth boops on The Yugas feel like something he'd do, but I'm probably way off there.

maybe he's the growls :lol
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2470 on: December 09, 2021, 11:23:39 AM »
Or the vocals on Kittenhead. So youthful!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2471 on: December 09, 2021, 07:46:42 PM »
I still need to get both of these two new albums.  I am a bad fan. :( :(

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2472 on: December 09, 2021, 08:44:52 PM »
cue Diego Tejeida

That wouldn't be a surprise though, the hint sounded like a bigger name that would be kind of a shock.  Similar to Chad Kroeger having a guest spot on Empath since he alluded to the guest on Empath
I'm going to guess Geddy Lee. That would be awesome! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2473 on: December 09, 2021, 10:08:24 PM »
I gave in and bought the deluxe box set of The Puzzle/Snuggles. I wanted to see the video that goes along with this music, which I am very interested in seeing now that I heard the album.

And I completely forgot he got Puddles The Clown on it. I wonder where he is on the album...

Watching the documentary now and this album does sum up the feelings of the Pandemic. Seeing how this album came to fruition gives me more respect for the album and makes me love it that much more now. Especially that it's an independently made album as the label wanted no involvement and wanted to focus on Lightwork, which allowed Devin to have free reign over it. Which gives more reason for why I said The Puzzle is his Magnum Opus.

Especially this quote I typed out from the Documentary...
"How do you recognize how much of your internal process is based on years of patterns you haven't questioned, your bias, your fear, your unconscious dialogue. And that how much of your life do you become a slave to, your a slave to your own fear, your a slave to your own process...people pleasing. And the more I thought about it the more I looked around, the more this theme started to be appearing as a universal trait in a lot of the artists that I knew, and had worked with. And the pandemic, on some perverse level, allowed us all to sit with it because there was no place to run. And frankly, I found myself really grateful for that, in a weird way. And the theme of how one makes peace with themselves, and with their own mind, during a period of what could be called profound adversarial circumstances, struck me as a great opportunity for personal growth. Because no longer was I able to, sort of put aside those thoughts and escape on tour or something. All your insecurities are laid bare when there's no place to run."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 10:30:52 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline Kram

« Reply #2474 on: December 10, 2021, 01:29:03 PM »
cue Diego Tejeida

Steven Wilson?  Who a year ago said he had no idea who Devin was lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2475 on: December 10, 2021, 06:37:20 PM »
cue Diego Tejeida

Steven Wilson?  Who a year ago said he had no idea who Devin was lol
As much as I love most of Steven Wilson's music, he always comes across as a pretentious douche-canoe. How did he not know who one of the most respected musician/producers in the prog community is, especially amongst contemporaries?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: December 11, 2021, 02:07:57 AM »
That is fairly baffling for Wilson to not know who he is. Maybe not know his music is understandable,  but not know of him? Either way, Wilson is a dick IMO.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2477 on: December 11, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »
SW is much more enjoyable if you concentrate on his music and not give a shit about what he says or thinks.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2478 on: December 11, 2021, 03:07:02 AM »
Yeah, there's lots of artists like that who make great music but I can't stand their personality.  I usually don't let it hold me back from enjoying the music, but sometimes it does.  Not sure I reached that point personally with Wilson, but I didnt even check out his latest album because the singles werent any good for me.  TBh, his comments regarding Greta Van Fleet did piss me off though. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #2479 on: December 11, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »
Yeah, there's lots of artists like that who make great music but I can't stand their personality.  I usually don't let it hold me back from enjoying the music, but sometimes it does.  Not sure I reached that point personally with Wilson, but I didnt even check out his latest album because the singles werent any good for me.  TBh, his comments regarding Greta Van Fleet did piss me off though.
You didn't miss much, The Future Bites is his worst solo album by a lot IMO.  I'm all over the new PT though, and will still continue to enjoy his music no matter how big of a douche he is sometimes..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2480 on: December 13, 2021, 06:44:54 AM »
SW is much more enjoyable if you concentrate on his music and not give a shit about what he says or thinks.

I'm usually very good at putting the "douche-canoe" aside and enjoying the work.  The problem for me with Wilson is that the work doesn't deliver for me.  He's top three most over-rated artists for me on this board (Radiohead is in there too, and I'm leaving the third open for further thought! :) ). 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2481 on: December 13, 2021, 07:10:21 AM »

I'm usually very good at putting the "douche-canoe" aside and enjoying the work.  The problem for me with Wilson is that the work doesn't deliver for me.  He's top three most over-rated artists for me on this board (Radiohead is in there too, and I'm leaving the third open for further thought! :) ). 

DT? :neverusethis:
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2482 on: December 13, 2021, 01:19:38 PM »

I suspect you mean Haken, but which means three strikes and you're out. :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2483 on: December 13, 2021, 01:22:04 PM »
If you think Radiohead is overrated here then whoo boy... :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2484 on: December 13, 2021, 01:43:20 PM »
I like some of Radiohead's music, but the praise I've seen heaped on them over the years on the internet and from "real life" friends is probably second only to The Beatles.  So of course there's nowhere to go other than failure to meet expectations from there.  If this was 2010 I'd probably say it was Opeth, and I even say that as someone who considers them one of my absolute favorite bands.  But their stylistic shift has brought out enough backlash that their perch in the music pantheon is more reasonable now.