Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227959 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2380 on: April 12, 2021, 12:23:33 PM »
He explained why he's doing it though in the YouTube Trailer.

He says He's going to go through the whole catalog and see where we end up at by the time Tours can start up again. Especially him, being Canadian.

And so, he is starting with the beginning, that is Ocean Machine.

Makes me more excited now and I will be expecting Accelerated Evolution....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: April 12, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
I'd check out the others, likely will skip this one though. We'll see.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2382 on: April 12, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
I'd check out the others, likely will skip this one though. We'll see.

Probably the same for me.

I just wish he would embrace the greatness of Terria as a whole and find a way to play all of that. :biggrin:

Yep, basically this!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2383 on: April 12, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »

He says He's going to go through the whole catalog and see where we end up at by the time Tours can start up again. Especially him, being Canadian.

Huh, that sounds like it'd be a ton of effort considering he doesn't have any of the stems / backing tracks for his earlier albums and has to recreate them for these livestream concerts. I kinda assumed the reason why he was doing Ocean Machine was that he already had to do that for a good amount of the live in Plovdiv show and could just re-use it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2384 on: April 12, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »

Okay, that is pretty awesome to hear.  Hopefully, enough fans buy them and tune in to keep him rolling until he can hit the road again.  :metal :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2385 on: April 13, 2021, 06:27:49 PM »

Okay, that is pretty awesome to hear.  Hopefully, enough fans buy them and tune in to keep him rolling until he can hit the road again.  :metal :metal
Knowing Devin, he'll probably still do them anyway, no matter how many people tune in. I'm sure a lot of people will. I know I will be!  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #2386 on: April 15, 2021, 05:46:48 AM »
I want to thank Dream Theater Forums and THIS THREAD, it sent me into the most amazing muscal journey of my life. I legit could not listen to anything but Devin Townsend for a whole year.
Now my own dad is listening to it, the man absolutely loves Deep Peace, Deadhead, the Sky Blue album...
 :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2387 on: April 15, 2021, 06:00:47 AM »
I want to thank Dream Theater Forums and THIS THREAD, it sent me into the most amazing muscal journey of my life. I legit could not listen to anything but Devin Townsend for a whole year.
Now my own dad is listening to it, the man absolutely loves Deep Peace, Deadhead, the Sky Blue album...
 :metal

God bless DTF!

That is 100% the beauty of Devin. His catalogue is so varied that you literally could listen to his music for a year as there is something for every. single. mood!

When I was deep into my honeymoon period with Devy I also used to watch every interview I could find on YouTube! Not only can I listen to his music all year round, can also listen to him talk for days.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: April 15, 2021, 07:44:41 AM »
I discovered DT via a youtube video, but I don't think I would have watched it if I hadn't read positive things about Devin here on DTF.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #2389 on: April 16, 2021, 04:42:04 AM »
When I was deep into my honeymoon period with Devy I also used to watch every interview I could find on YouTube! Not only can I listen to his music all year round, can also listen to him talk for days.
I can 100% relate to that  :biggrin:

I discovered DT via a youtube video, but I don't think I would have watched it if I hadn't read positive things about Devin here on DTF.
Was it an EMGtv video?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2390 on: April 16, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
I first heard Devin with Steve Vai, and HATED IT.  Then I heard Strapping Young Lad and HATED it even more.  Then I heard Deep Peace live in London and was blown away.  Then I read his autobiography, then Transcendence hit and I loved both of them.  I even went back and revisited the Steve Vai stuff and liked it a lot.  (I still don't care for Strapping Young Lad, though).  I dig his candor, and I dig how ingrained his music is in his life.  It's HIM, for better or worse, and that's appealing. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: April 16, 2021, 07:29:05 AM »
I've tried a few times over the years to get into his music. Can't remember now which albums I've checked out, but somehow it doesn't do anything for me at all. Perhaps I'm a lost cause.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: April 16, 2021, 08:02:45 AM »
Was it an EMGtv video?

No, back then someone had the entire Retinal Circus video on youtube.  I watched it so many times and eventually bought it as my first DT purchase.  So even though that video got taken down for copyright, it did lead to a sale.  Having said that, I did watch the EMGtv videos later and they are great. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2393 on: April 16, 2021, 09:21:55 AM »
Was it an EMGtv video?

No, back then someone had the entire Retinal Circus video on youtube.  I watched it so many times and eventually bought it as my first DT purchase.  So even though that video got taken down for copyright, it did lead to a sale.  Having said that, I did watch the EMGtv videos later and they are great.

The Retinal Circus Boxset is one of the best Boxsets I have ever bought. The 3-D pop-out parts, the Devin Mask, and all these weird fun things add a lot to the Circus concept part.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2394 on: April 16, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
I first heard Devin with Steve Vai, and HATED IT.  Then I heard Strapping Young Lad and HATED it even more.  Then I heard Deep Peace live in London and was blown away.  Then I read his autobiography, then Transcendence hit and I loved both of them.  I even went back and revisited the Steve Vai stuff and liked it a lot.  (I still don't care for Strapping Young Lad, though).  I dig his candor, and I dig how ingrained his music is in his life.  It's HIM, for better or worse, and that's appealing.

I've just discovered Vai this year (I know...) and I can't help but feel like how overlooked the album with Devin is. Sure it's not either of their best work but it's a really solid album.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #2395 on: April 16, 2021, 01:29:55 PM »
The only SYL song i genuinelly enjoy and that keeps me coming back is Love.

I've tried a few times over the years to get into his music. Can't remember now which albums I've checked out, but somehow it doesn't do anything for me at all. Perhaps I'm a lost cause.

If i were to introduce Devin's music to someone, i'd tell them to listen to Bastard, Deadhead, Deep Peace and Coast. Those were the ones that hooked me for life.
Ocean Machine is a great "starter" album, imo. Most of the songs are really really great. And i wouldn't recommend someone to start with Deconstruction, lol. That might scare people away.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: April 16, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »
I like the song "Love?" and all of the first Ziltoid album and Addicted!

But beyond that not much.

Was disappointed with Ziltoid 2. It didn't have the same charm at all.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: April 16, 2021, 01:49:09 PM »
Yeah, Ziltoid 2 is kind of a dud to me, but not all of Devin's work is for me.  I know and understand that.  But he's got so much to offer that I'd be surprised if someone couldn't find something they did like, but on the same coin, it's totally understandable that someone might also struggle to find what they like.

I've always said Epicloud is the best starter album for Devin.  It's one album that has a lot of his different styles on it and overall is really solid from start to finish.  I guess it's no surprise I feel that way as that was the main support album for the Retinal Circus.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: April 16, 2021, 01:56:01 PM »
All his heavy albums are well produced but have way too much going on.

I dont think i could hum a single riff from Ziltoid or Addicted! as there's so much happening at once.

It would be nice if he made a rock and roll album. Two rhythms one bass . Drums and vocals. one lead guitar.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: April 16, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »

I dont think i could hum a single riff from Ziltoid or Addicted! as there's so much happening at once.

It would be nice if he made a rock and roll album. Two rhythms one bass . Drums and vocals. one lead guitar.

Ever listen to Accelerated Evolution?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: April 16, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
Nopes. :p

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2401 on: April 16, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
This is an interesting part of the Zē story...

[Narrator:]
Thus ends our story. This is the end... Or... is it?
Far from the earth in a distant nebula, we now find a lone moon... Barren... Isolated...
Through the wormhole Ziltoid has awoken,
seemingly alone on this trance moon made of bones and dust
Only he is not alone...
The only other thing on that planet is the war princess, and one solitary bag... of coffee.

Because this is where we transition into...

Casualties of Cool, which is a pretty neat transition...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2402 on: April 16, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
I got into Devin when he was starting to talk about this new project he is working on that will span 4 albums. Before that, I heard of him from my friend whom is a big Steve Vai fan and he showed me Sex and Religion. I was amazed at Devins High Shreaks.

I could not get into Strapping Young Lad, although I do enjoy The New Black a lot. Alien isn't that bad either, I actually kind of enjoyed the hectic nature of it, but nowadays I do not.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2403 on: April 17, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »

Try Terria - the opener is thick, heavy with a weird rhythm but most of the rest is kinda simple and hypnotic.

Or Epicloud - I've recommended that to people with "regular" music tastes and they've loved it.

Dev said some really interesting things about Addicted and the similar DTP albums. That he basically became interested in how a mainstream popular rock/pop song is constructed and used those patterns for those albums.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2404 on: April 17, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »

I have been stuck at that point for over 20 years.  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2405 on: April 18, 2021, 12:25:53 AM »
Exactly. He's so genuine and unique. There are albums I don't enjoy of his but most I do. But I absolutely love the guy as an artist.

I started when AE came out. Empath still blows me away.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: June 16, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
I've been diving a little deeper into the Devin catalogue lately.  Specifically, going through the lesser stuff in the By A Thread set and the Contain Us set.   

It's worth it to seek out the clips from the guitar clinic (on the BAT DVDs) and there is some gold on the DVDs for Contain Us. 

I think right now, Addicted! is my current favorite.  I can't seem to get "Bend It Like Bender!" and "Numbered!" out of my head.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2407 on: June 16, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »
While I think Terria is his best and most ambitious album ever, Addicted is my favorite. Every track is money, and it's such a fun, easy listen. Every song is a major winner.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: June 16, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »
Addicted is awesome, and if you like Bend it Like Bender (which I do) you really need to check out the live version from Retinal Circus, it's so over the top and I love it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1yK_5ApVug

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2409 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »
I've been diving a little deeper into the Devin catalogue lately.  Specifically, going through the lesser stuff in the By A Thread set and the Contain Us set.   

It's worth it to seek out the clips from the guitar clinic (on the BAT DVDs) and there is some gold on the DVDs for Contain Us. 

I think right now, Addicted! is my current favorite.  I can't seem to get "Bend It Like Bender!" and "Numbered!" out of my head.

Yes, By A Thread and Contain Us have some amazing bonuses.

"Numbered!" and "Bend It Like Bender!" I instantly fell in love with. Also, this is when I really adored AVG's vocals. Specifically her performance on "Numbered!" (The Gentle Storm band has even played this song live as well). It actually is the fun party album.

It would've been a neat experience to have actually seen the By a Thread performances and how each one has a specific type of vibe and atmosphere, which are based on the music style of the album.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2410 on: June 16, 2021, 01:33:08 PM »
Addicted is also the album that got me into Devin, with my curiosity being piqued by the video of him tracking Resolve! and just rocking out doing so.  I initially hated him based on my response to his abysmal Natural Science cover on the Working Man album.  Even when I softened up to harsh vocals, I couldn't really get into him much, in spite of owning Accelerated Evolution.  But I picked up Addicted and loved the hell out of it.  I don't own all his releases, but I do have a good portion.

The video of him completely recording a (really good) demo of Stars in two hours is a fascinating watch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: June 16, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »
The clinic clips are hilarious.  He's basically sitting there noodling on a guitar (the Peavey model they made for him) giving a stream of consciousness monologue (which is at times insightful - say what you want, the guy is in touch with his feelings - and at times hilariously off the wall - his inability to pee in public).    Interspersed with asides like "Is this what you do at a clinic?  Wait, should I wank some more?"

There's also a clip on the Contain Us DVD that I call "Devin Unleashed" that is just some sick, massive technique guitar playing - I knew he was good, but that mofo can flat out PLAY - that he immediately dismisses as something you play when you're a dungeon master in 12th grade and have nothing better to do, or something like that, then he talks about the development of his art.   You have to wade through the nonsense, but there's some real insight in there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2412 on: June 16, 2021, 03:39:48 PM »
I remember those clips.  I cannot remember which one it is, but I love the moment where he said the last thing he would want to do is bore us, looks back, some canned laughter hits, and he looks back at us like, "oh, shit." :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: June 16, 2021, 04:24:15 PM »
The clinic clips are hilarious.  He's basically sitting there noodling on a guitar (the Peavey model they made for him) giving a stream of consciousness monologue (which is at times insightful - say what you want, the guy is in touch with his feelings - and at times hilariously off the wall - his inability to pee in public).    Interspersed with asides like "Is this what you do at a clinic?  Wait, should I wank some more?"

There's also a clip on the Contain Us DVD that I call "Devin Unleashed" that is just some sick, massive technique guitar playing - I knew he was good, but that mofo can flat out PLAY - that he immediately dismisses as something you play when you're a dungeon master in 12th grade and have nothing better to do, or something like that, then he talks about the development of his art.   You have to wade through the nonsense, but there's some real insight in there.

You have to go see a live show of his.  The way he talks to the crowd is very much like what you are describing here.  It's really entertaining to see him "giving a stream of consciousness monologue".  His acoustic show was maybe the best for this since he had a lot of freedom as it was a solo show.  Even mid song just saying such random hilarious things that pop into his mind.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2414 on: June 16, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
I still don't know that much of Devin Townsend's discography yet (I've only heard four of his albums and have only listened to Ocean Machine and Ziltoid the Omniscient a lot), but I think I can safely say that Thing Beyond Things is one of my favorite songs of all time.