Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 228889 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2310 on: October 06, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
Off topic compared to recent posts in this thread, but does anyone else think Dream Theater was inspired by AAA when writing the opening of Paralyzed?
I am so confused by this post in this thread..... ???

My bad, I appeared to have had a stroke while typing this  ;D
Haha, it's cool. Cramx3 and Buddy cleared up the confusion I think.  :metal :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: October 08, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »
From Devin's twitter

Happier than I’ve been with a project in a long long time with this ‘Puzzle’ album I’m releasing on Friday... it snuck up on me... it’s great. Super strange...

in response to someone asking to describe it and if its ambient:

Ambient, yes, but also melodic

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: October 08, 2020, 10:48:04 AM »
Devin Townsend will release ‘Order Of Magnitude – Empath Live Volume 1’ on the 23rd October 2020, a document of his Winter 2019 European tour that saw him taking on possibly his most ambitious live show to date. The blu-ray edition of this forthcoming release features a behind the scenes feature, taking a look at the preparation for this tour & the filming of the live album.

Watch it now here: https://youtu.be/K8HW2WB_BK4

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2313 on: October 08, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
Devin Townsend will release ‘Order Of Magnitude – Empath Live Volume 1’ on the 23rd October 2020, a document of his Winter 2019 European tour that saw him taking on possibly his most ambitious live show to date. The blu-ray edition of this forthcoming release features a behind the scenes feature, taking a look at the preparation for this tour & the filming of the live album.

Watch it now here: https://youtu.be/K8HW2WB_BK4

Pre-ordered mine this morning along with DT's new live album.  I'm very excited for this, more than Dream Theater's live album too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: October 16, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgrik7HDKQ4  Video of Why? from the new live album, this is fantastic.  :lol the part with everyone having their hand on their head  :rollin

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2315 on: October 19, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
Watch a new clip of the band performing the track ‘Why?’, taken from his latest album ‘Empath’, here: https://youtu.be/Fgrik7HDKQ4

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2316 on: October 19, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgrik7HDKQ4  Video of Why? from the new live album, this is fantastic.  :lol the part with everyone having their hand on their head  :rollin

He got them to Bleep. Now that's funny as fuck. If I was buzzed, I would've done it too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2317 on: October 21, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »
On Dev's latest twitch stream he shared a good bit of material that he's working on based on more than 3 projects (Lightwork, The Moth, Casualties of Cool, etc. etc.). My favorites were "Ode To My Eye" where he actually performs the vocal amazingly live on the stream, which is a song he has slated near the beginning of The Moth (He explains the idea and images behind it and will be incredible if he is able to put the show out),  "Starchasm" a song he has put together with Steve Vai, "Heartbreaker" (possibly on Lightwork) and "Sour Fruit" (a song he's working on with Che for the next Casualties of Cool album! He was really forthcoming with a lot of his ideas and how much he actually is working on lately... I'd say its insane how much there is but it IS Dev we're talking about here.  :metal

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/771301638

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: October 31, 2020, 10:02:22 AM »
Sadly I realized Century Media is bundling my Order of Magnitude blu-ray with the new Dream Theater blu-ray so it won't ship for another month ugh

Well, I just got my ticket for the live stream today in 4 hours.  It's "pay what you want" but it's a minimum of 5 dollars. Even at 5 bucks, that seems solid although it's listed as a 30 minute show so we'll see.  All rare songs by request so I really hope we get Save Our Now.  He did say he got Anneke to be involved in a couple songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2319 on: October 31, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
Sadly I realized Century Media is bundling my Order of Magnitude blu-ray with the new Dream Theater blu-ray so it won't ship for another month ugh

Well, I just got my ticket for the live stream today in 4 hours.  It's "pay what you want" but it's a minimum of 5 dollars. Even at 5 bucks, that seems solid although it's listed as a 30 minute show so we'll see.  All rare songs by request so I really hope we get Save Our Now.  He did say he got Anneke to be involved in a couple songs.

When he said he got Anneke, Save Our Now was my first immediate thought.

Hopefully, I don't forget about it, and go run errands like his last live stream...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2320 on: October 31, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »
Well, He didn't play Save Our Now, so I'm disappointed in the fans... :lol

Nah, Was a fantastic show, I had a feeling those were going to be the ones he played.

Great way to end the Halloween Show with Vampira, and he did the dance...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: November 01, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »
Yea, that was a really fun show.  I loved watching him as the backing band too.  Just really classic Devy and a fun set.  The guest spot were awesome too.  Steve Vai's solo was really cool.  Anneke on Pixelate was maybe my favorite song. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2322 on: November 01, 2020, 05:38:15 PM »
Yea, that was a really fun show.  I loved watching him as the backing band too.  Just really classic Devy and a fun set.  The guest spot were awesome too.  Steve Vai's solo was really cool.  Anneke on Pixelate was maybe my favorite song.

I was happy she sounded way more clearer than she did on By A Threads Addicted show.

My personal favorite of the set is Nobody's Here.

Once he said he couldn't get the backing tracks and had to redo them, I bet he couldn't do some songs that made the list.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: November 02, 2020, 08:09:08 AM »

I was happy she sounded way more clearer than she did on By A Threads Addicted show.

Once he said he couldn't get the backing tracks and had to redo them, I bet he couldn't do some songs that made the list.

Maybe but at the end he did say those were the most voted songs, but who really knows.  It certainly was a bit of work on his end to make it happen.  He mentioned on twitter that all the live streams will be released in a box set.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2324 on: November 02, 2020, 08:24:31 PM »

Maybe but at the end he did say those were the most voted songs, but who really knows.  It certainly was a bit of work on his end to make it happen.  He mentioned on twitter that all the live streams will be released in a box set.

Sounds neat. Don't know if I'll buy it.

Yeah, you could tell he worked as much as he could. I like how he made his backing band, and the keyboardist costume changes.  :rollin :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: November 02, 2020, 08:25:34 PM »
The "backing band" was what I loved the most maybe, just so Devy

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2326 on: November 10, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
Just got around to watching the Halloween livestream!

He's just on another level. I have one friend who appreciates Devy, that's it.  I just shared the livestream in a group chat with a load of friends, and I bet not a single one of them 'gets' it. His goofiness and 'anti-rockstar' attitude is honestly so refreshing and one of the things I adore about him the most. That's before we even touch on his talent and how prolific he is.

We truly are blessed to be alive at a time to appreciate an artist of this calibre  :rollin

I just wish I was in the position to be able to chuck money his way at the moment, as he fully deserves it, for putting such effort into a livestream like that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: November 10, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
Yea, he's on a totally different level.  It's a big reason why I'm such a huge fan, totally original and operates on his own thoughts.  I don't love all his music, but I love everything about who he is.  That live stream was fun and totally unique.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2328 on: November 10, 2020, 04:42:37 PM »
Yea, he's on a totally different level.  It's a big reason why I'm such a huge fan, totally original and operates on his own thoughts.  I don't love all his music, but I love everything about who he is.  That live stream was fun and totally unique.

Totally agree, although I'd say I love at least 75% of his output.

I went through a phase, about 5 years ago, of just watching any and every interview I could find of his. I could listen to him talk for hours.

I should get back on YouTube and check out all the interviews I've missed over the last few years  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: November 10, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to meet him three times, but two of those were legit face to face conversations. (the other was him signing my setlist and then walking off without much of a conversation)  I actually was able to have him listen to me tell a story about how he influenced me to do something nice and he was so responsive and happy. He is sooo legit.  Not fake, no BS, super nice, super cool.  He's literally everything you could want from an artist you enjoy.  Good person through and through and extremely interesting and entertaining. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2330 on: November 21, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »
So, Order of Magnitude is out. I snapped about while on Spotify. Sounds great. At Heavens End and loving the live vibe with no backing tracks. Can't wait till my copy arrives to watch it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: November 21, 2020, 11:23:36 PM »
Still waiting for my order too

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2332 on: November 22, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »
Still waiting for my order too

Yup, there's a funny moment I want to see. Someone brought teddy bears and he brought them up on stage.  :lol overall This show seemed like a damn fun show.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2333 on: November 30, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
Anyone else think Tests of Manhood is about a million times better than the actual Empath album? I have no desire to hear Empath ever again but I am absolutely loving the bonus disc.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2334 on: November 30, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »
Tests Of Manhood initially seemed more appealing to me as well since my first couple listens of Empath were so negative. That album grew on me like crazy though; I can't think of any other time where I flat-out disliked an album at first, then after repeated listens I ended up thinking it's great. It's a very deliberately-constructed record that works better as a whole than as a collection of individual songs, so while there's a few good songs on Tests Of Manhood, there's nothing I really think should have ended up on the actual album, unlike Transcendence / Holding Patterns.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2335 on: December 01, 2020, 07:52:20 AM »

It's wierd; I didn't have a ton of experience with Devin; I had the Vai album - hated it - and got some Strapping Young Lad in a roulette - HATED it - but kept hearing about how great he was.  I watched a video of him literally walking us through writing a song, and it was fascinating.  So I decided to read his book. 

It had NOTHING to do with his music, but I just was really impressed by him and his attitude and his point of view.   I then got the live Deep Peace (from London) in a roulette, and shortly after heard Transcendence, and it all clicked.   Like you, I don't love all his music, but I like a lot of the recent stuff, and in general, I'm a big fan.  I hope to see him live at some point, just to experience the moment. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: December 01, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »

It's wierd; I didn't have a ton of experience with Devin; I had the Vai album - hated it - and got some Strapping Young Lad in a roulette - HATED it - but kept hearing about how great he was.  I watched a video of him literally walking us through writing a song, and it was fascinating.  So I decided to read his book. 

It had NOTHING to do with his music, but I just was really impressed by him and his attitude and his point of view.   I then got the live Deep Peace (from London) in a roulette, and shortly after heard Transcendence, and it all clicked.   Like you, I don't love all his music, but I like a lot of the recent stuff, and in general, I'm a big fan.  I hope to see him live at some point, just to experience the moment.

If you started with Vai and Strapping, I can see why you'd feel a certain way about him after that.  That stuff mostly still hasn't clicked with me (there's some good Strapping for sure) but it was really the DTP albums that sold me initally before exploring his other albums.  And especially his live show where he kind of just shows his true self.  Just watch an interview with him, or be lucky enough to actually talk to him and you'll see how genuine and cool he is.  There's something to be said about that in todays world.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2337 on: December 01, 2020, 01:54:15 PM »
I come from the other end. I learned about Devin through the Vai record, which I love and saw them together on that tour. Then came Ocean Machine which is still one of my alltime favorites by any artist. And I still like Devin's earlier work more. The Physicist and Infinity aren't that good but Terria, Ziltoid, Accelerated Evolution and Synchestra are all great imo. After that he kinda lost me. For sure most of his records are good and there are some great songs throughout, but nothing blew me away like those earlier records did.

With each new release I hope that the magic for me will return, but so far it hasn't.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2338 on: December 01, 2020, 09:30:49 PM »
So I've been getting into Devin Townsend little by little over the past few weeks, and so far I've heard Addicted and Ocean Machine: Biomech. I think there's one thing I don't exactly like about Devin Townsend's music, and it's that I feel like there tends to just be some nonsense here and there. Usually it comes down to me not really liking some of the lyrics, but I've never heard any outright bad (so far). But there's one example that really frustrates me, that being the end of "Thing Beyond Things" on Ocean Machine: Biomech. For absolutely no reason at all, Devin just screams for about 15 seconds straight... and I can only assume he was trying to be funny, but I don't find it funny at all.

So going forward in my exploration of Devin Townsend's music, which albums are the most "serious"? I'm not looking for amazing poetic lyrics or anything (I still greatly enjoy "Addicted!" despite its weird lyrics), I just don't want anything raunchy or anything that detracts from the album because it's supposed to be funny or something.
I know I sound negative, but I'm not trying to be. I think there's a lot to like about Devin Townsend's music based on what I've heard so far, so I just want to be able to hear what I like without the more nonsensical bits that I'm not liking.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2339 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
So I've been getting into Devin Townsend little by little over the past few weeks, and so far I've heard Addicted and Ocean Machine: Biomech. I think there's one thing I don't exactly like about Devin Townsend's music, and it's that I feel like there tends to just be some nonsense here and there. Usually it comes down to me not really liking some of the lyrics, but I've never heard any outright bad (so far). But there's one example that really frustrates me, that being the end of "Thing Beyond Things" on Ocean Machine: Biomech. For absolutely no reason at all, Devin just screams for about 15 seconds straight... and I can only assume he was trying to be funny, but I don't find it funny at all.

So going forward in my exploration of Devin Townsend's music, which albums are the most "serious"? I'm not looking for amazing poetic lyrics or anything (I still greatly enjoy "Addicted!" despite its weird lyrics), I just don't want anything raunchy or anything that detracts from the album because it's supposed to be funny or something.
I know I sound negative, but I'm not trying to be. I think there's a lot to like about Devin Townsend's music based on what I've heard so far, so I just want to be able to hear what I like without the more nonsensical bits that I'm not liking.

What you call the nonsensical bits are hit and miss for me, so I get why they'd be a turnoff for some.   

Check out Ghost, Casualties of Cool, Accelerated Evolution and Ki.  I don't think any of those albums will have those moments that will turn you off, and all are excellent from start to finish.  And all are quite different as well.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2340 on: December 01, 2020, 09:57:33 PM »
I think there's some thematic reason for the scream at the end of Thing Beyond Things but yeah I don't like it either. You can just edit it out though once you get the mp3 - that's what I did.

I don't know if I'd call them "serious", but I suppose his more "straight-faced" albums would be Accelerated Evolution, Epicloud, Sky Blue and Transcendence. Of those Accelerated Evolution and Epicloud are definitely the best. There's also his quieter, more mellow albums like Ki, Ghost, and Casualties Of Cool, which are naturally more reserved - those would also be good to look into if you're okay with albums with a different sound. If you can't stand goofiness avoid Deconstruction and the Ziltoid albums like the plague, and his latest album (Empath) probably wouldn't be to your liking either. That said, goofiness is key part of Devin's identity and his musical personality. It's more exaggerated in some places than others, but I guess what I'm saying is if you want serious music Devin isn't exactly the artist I'd point you towards.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2341 on: December 01, 2020, 10:04:31 PM »

I can understand being off-put by the insane scream at the end of "Thing Beyond Things", but personally I didn't consider it something he was doing to be funny. I viewed it more of a massive -release- of these incredible feelings. I took it to be more serious than funny but I guess it could all be perspective.

That's something you may have to come to grips about Devin. He has mentioned many times he was diagnosed Bi-Polar at some point (while I think he has those issues under control currently) and I think to some degree that is why you get the back and forth nature within his music history. He's pretty genius musically and often he shows that off however he seems to realize he's taking the music or himself too seriously and he goes the complete opposite direction and just lets it hang out so to speak... but again it could just be how I've come to view it.

Regardless welcome to any new explorers of Devin's music. I can only hope you all enjoy it near as much as I have!  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2342 on: December 01, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »
I think there's some thematic reason for the scream at the end of Thing Beyond Things but yeah I don't like it either. You can just edit it out though once you get the mp3 - that's what I did.

I don't know if I'd call them "serious", but I suppose his more "straight-faced" albums would be Accelerated Evolution, Epicloud, Sky Blue and Transcendence. Of those Accelerated Evolution and Epicloud are definitely the best. There's also his quieter, more mellow albums like Ki, Ghost, and Casualties Of Cool, which are naturally more reserved - those would also be good to look into if you're okay with albums with a different sound. If you can't stand goofiness avoid Deconstruction and the Ziltoid albums like the plague, and his latest album (Empath) probably wouldn't be to your liking either. That said, goofiness is key part of Devin's identity and his musical personality. It's more exaggerated in some places than others, but I guess what I'm saying is if you want serious music Devin isn't exactly the artist I'd point you towards.

OMG...Like Devin Townsend coming out on stage in a tutu on Order of Magnitude, and dancing like Ballerina, before playing Why?  :rollin

Or this...  :lol

I am really wanting my copy of it to arrive. Listening to Spotify is making me want to watch it. Especially for the Ki suite, and specifically, Heavens End (my favorite from Ki).

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:23:50 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2343 on: December 01, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
What you call the nonsensical bits are hit and miss for me, so I get why they'd be a turnoff for some.   

Check out Ghost, Casualties of Cool, Accelerated Evolution and Ki.  I don't think any of those albums will have those moments that will turn you off, and all are excellent from start to finish.  And all are quite different as well.

Thanks for the recommendations!
I don't find goofiness to be inherently bad, it just seems that I don't seem to really like Devin Townsend's sense of humor, based on what I've listened to so far. Like, I've heard about the Ziltoid albums and the concept of it sounds funny, but if it's like Deconstruction lyrically, then yeah, I'm definitely going to skip out on those. Musically, if it's weird in a BTBAM kind of way, I'd be all for that kind of silliness (for instance, I love that part in Augment of Rebirth where out of nowhere there's an accordion with a bunch of animals making noise). I just don't want to be listening to something that I'm really enjoying only for something annoying (musically or lyrically) to ruin it for me, like with Thing Beyond Things. As another example, I really enjoy Planet of the Apes musically, but there's a few instances where I find the lyrics to be... not good, I'll just say.

I can understand being off-put by the insane scream at the end of "Thing Beyond Things", but personally I didn't consider it something he was doing to be funny. I viewed it more of a massive -release- of these incredible feelings. I took it to be more serious than funny but I guess it could all be perspective.

That's something you may have to come to grips about Devin. He has mentioned many times he was diagnosed Bi-Polar at some point (while I think he has those issues under control currently) and I think to some degree that is why you get the back and forth nature within his music history. He's pretty genius musically and often he shows that off however he seems to realize he's taking the music or himself too seriously and he goes the complete opposite direction and just lets it hang out so to speak... but again it could just be how I've come to view it.

Regardless welcome to any new explorers of Devin's music. I can only hope you all enjoy it near as much as I have!  :tup

Interesting... I guess I assumed it to be funny just because it seems like his sense of humor to do something like that. I can't say taking it in a more serious context would make me like its inclusion, but hey, at least there's some reason why it's there.

I hope I find a lot to enjoy with Devin's music, though! I do have some problems that I've been discussing, but there's a lot more about Devin's music that I do like, so I'm optimistic that I'll find that one album that really clicks with me! I should mention that aside from that scream at the very end, I did enjoy Ocean Machine: Biomech quite a bit.

OMG...Like Devin Townsend coming out on stage in a tutu on Order of Magnitude, and dancing like Ballerina, before playing Why?  :rollin

Or this...  :lol

Okay, I saw that ballerina thing just now, and that was pretty funny. :lol

Online Shredzorz

« Reply #2344 on: December 01, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »
Musically, if it's weird in a BTBAM kind of way, I'd be all for that kind of silliness (for instance, I love that part in Augment of Rebirth where out of nowhere there's an accordion with a bunch of animals making noise).
You might like Empath then. Especially Genesis.