Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 228106 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2205 on: March 02, 2020, 07:34:22 AM »
Fair enough, his music is so diverse that actually I kind of feel that way about a lot of his albums.  Lots of hits and some misses.  Besides Addicted, which is my favorite but is a bit on the heavy side.  For me, if you want to check out the older stuff, you start from the beginning, but I find most of those early albums to be very consistent in quality so you can't really go wrong.

Accelerated Evolution has actually gotten lots of plays by me recently.  I really dig it too.  Just a good hard rock record.  It's not very diverse and mostly straight forward, but it's damn good and has lots of catchy songs.  He played Deadhead from it, which is generally considered one of his most popular songs.  I really wish he would pull out other songs from that album live.

I've been really liking Sky Blue as well lately.  That album isn't too heavy either, but he seems to never play those songs (Sky Blue is one of my favorite Devin songs, and of course Universal Flame)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2206 on: March 02, 2020, 07:57:42 AM »
Last night's show was amazing. Absolutely loved the more casual, no-backing-tracks performance style. Was basically front row in front of Devin too!

Also, the stuffed animals were A+
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: March 02, 2020, 08:02:04 AM »
I can't wait to see how many stuffed animals are on stage come the end of the tour  :lol

Also, looks like the set got shuffled quite a bit and a bit of a tease thrown in there.  He's off today and I'm going back tomorrow in Philly, I hope a day off gives the setlist another shuffle.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2208 on: March 02, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »
He played a tiny bit of Sprite and Earth Day, but the band didn't know the songs well enough to play them in full
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2209 on: March 02, 2020, 08:22:25 AM »
Oh really for both songs?  Setlist.fm only lists one of them as partial... but they played it in Europe too so I don't see why they wouldn't know that song.  The other was totally new to the set and makes sense.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2210 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
That's a damn good one-two punch of an encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: March 04, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »

What a show, think I enjoyed this one more than Brooklyn, but also since I took work off today (and yesterday) to make something of it. I chilled outside for awhile after the show with some others and pretty much met everyone in Devin's band including the man himself who was sooo nice and talked with everyone.  Said Volume 2 will be back and will be a heavier show. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2212 on: March 04, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »
Damn....So I'm gonna miss all the light, happy, non-heavy, vibe.

Either way, I'm still going to the closest show announced.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #2213 on: March 06, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
At the show in Atlanta tonight. Just got done with the meet and greet. I gave Dev my old ZILTOID license plate.   ;D

Oh wow haha he posted it on Instagram
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:49:42 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: March 06, 2020, 06:06:15 PM »
At the show in Atlanta tonight. Just got done with the meet and greet. I gave Dev my old ZILTOID license plate.   ;D

Oh wow haha he posted it on Instagram

That's awesome, I just liked it and so did Anneke  :metal enjoy the show!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #2215 on: March 07, 2020, 05:06:26 AM »

I'm seeing him in Orlando tonight. He's playing a venue (same place Cristina Grimmie was tragically killed in back in 2016) right next to my neighborhood. I am not excited at all to hear the abundance of Empath material, but I'm not about to miss a Devy show if I can help it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2216 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:06 AM »
Looks like the rest of the tour is cancelled, haven't seen anything official but it looks like it from what I'm reading on reddit and twitter.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #2217 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »

Yes, it is. Boy, did I get lucky.

The show Saturday night was awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: March 12, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
Yea, seriously "in before the lock" I feel fortunate to have gotten to see the show twice and meet the guy.  Worked out well for me, but boy do I feel bad for the bands and the fans.  Just a shit time all around.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2219 on: March 12, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
Yes, it is. Boy, did I get lucky.

Same... With things are shaping up that might have been the only show I'll get to see for the first half of the year, at least. Opeth cancelled the show I was going to see (and that wasn't even coronavirus), and I've still got tickets for Deafheaven and BTBAM in the upcoming months but I wouldn't be surprised if those end up falling through as well, especially Deafheaven since that's only in a month. That said, out of all of those shows, I'm really happy Devin was the one I got to see.

Hope this doesn't financially harm anyone involved too much - that's what I'm most worried about honestly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2220 on: March 12, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
He said money is lost and you can support him by buying the tour merch https://www.musicglue.com/devintownsend/  I just bought two more shirts.  Looks like I'm going to Progpower this fall (If the world hasn't ended) with 4 Devin Townsend tshirts to wear each day.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2221 on: March 12, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Just occurred to me that we saw the last show of the tour. StL aside, which is a big fucking bummer, we got off kind of lucky. All of our Winter and Spring shows have already happened.

He said money is lost and you can support him by buying the tour merch https://www.musicglue.com/devintownsend/  I just bought two more shirts.  Looks like I'm going to Progpower this fall (If the world hasn't ended) with 4 Devin Townsend tshirts to wear each day.
I'll certainly throw the guy a few bucks. Haken, too, if they're selling tour shirts online.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2222 on: March 12, 2020, 01:33:24 PM »

Strongly considering not going to ProgPower if this is still a big thing in a few months.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2223 on: March 12, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
Hopefully the US store is updated so I can get some merch and support Devin.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2224 on: March 12, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »

On Facebook, he said it should be up within a week.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2225 on: March 12, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »

On Facebook, he said it should be up within a week.

Was looking at the gray Empath hoodie but the store was out of XL sizes. Can anyone share a picture of the merch Devin sold?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #2226 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »
Glad I got to see him when I did. I was originally planning on going to the Baltimore show on the 16th, but I requested that day off at work and got denied.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: March 12, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »

Strongly considering not going to ProgPower if this is still a big thing in a few months.

If this is still big in a few months, we've got a lot to worry about since that would go against everyone's expectations of this slowing down once it gets warmer plus all the quarantines and travel bans.  Hopefully within 6 months there's a vaccine too.  I've heard there's one already made since this corona virus is similar to others, it was easy to figure out but the testing and manufacturing are what will take awhile.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: March 12, 2020, 03:15:35 PM »

If this is still big in a few months, we've got a lot to worry about since that would go against everyone's expectations of this slowing down once it gets warmer plus all the quarantines and travel bans.  Hopefully within 6 months there's a vaccine too.  I've heard there's one already made since this corona virus is similar to others, it was easy to figure out but the testing and manufacturing are what will take awhile.

I severely doubt you're going to see a vaccine pumped out in 6 months. They can theoretically "make a vaccine" per se overnight, but it takes much, much longer to make sure it's safe and mass produce it (not that you don't know that, just making conversation). You're looking at at the very least a year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: March 12, 2020, 03:23:45 PM »

I severely doubt you're going to see a vaccine pumped out in 6 months. They can theoretically "make a vaccine" per se overnight, but it takes much, much longer to make sure it's safe and mass produce it (not that you don't know that, just making conversation). You're looking at at the very least a year.

CNN stated it last night before Trump's speech.  I didn't make that up, it's clearly getting rushed and Trump did say they would do everything to remove any red tape holding it back.  My doctor friend said at least a year in his opinion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: March 12, 2020, 03:26:16 PM »
No, I was watching and I heard that too, I never insinuated you were making that up, but I was also listening to Joe Rogan's latest episode with Michael Osterholm, and he flat-out denied the possibility of a vaccine coming within a few months. Every other health official statement I've seen kind of says the same thing, and I just don't ever see vaccines coming out that fast for a new outbreak. Years later we don't even have a finished, proven, safe vaccine for zika.

*"Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota." (taken from the JRE episode description)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2231 on: March 12, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
I heard this morning that it would probably not be available until this time next year and that's if they're being extremely optimistic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: March 12, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coronavirus-vaccine-made-in-saskatchewan-is-now-in-the-testing-stages

While it could take up to a year to complete, CJWW has confirmed with the University of Saskatchewan’s Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization-International Vaccine Centre that the vaccine is now being tested on animals.

As of now, there is no timeline as to when it could be ready for human use.

Since it was talked about here, sharing here since I just saw this but will cross post to the appropriate thread as well so we can discuss there and not clog up this thread.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2234 on: March 16, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
Contributed. Nothing I'd hate more than his future prospects getting cut short by this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: March 17, 2020, 04:57:49 PM »
I contributed to that and to Hakens.

Devin just shared a new song Quarantine How cool is that?

From IG:

Hello all, welcome to the first installment of my 'Quarantine Project'

I want to be able to provide some relief during these coming times in the ways that I am able. People have been supportive of me in my time of need when we lost a lot of revenue due to the current and foreseeable touring cycle, and want to make sure I can provide something that in some way begins to say 'thank you'. In the ways Im able, I will provide as much content as I can during this period as its what I feel I can offer.
My company has a lot of people involved, and your support has saved us in so many ways. I know we are all affected by this and yes, I could look for another job during this period like so many others will have to, but I figure that the best thing I can do is focus on my work and hopefully provide some sort of relief doing what Im best at. I want to give back as much as I can over the next while, and I hope that some of the work I can manage here will provide a bit of comfort during these troubled times for those who enjoy what I do.

This first song, (see Youtube link) is just a melancholy sort of thing called ‘Quarantine’ to start the proceedings. The idea with this is that it may be many different styles, Twitch streams, concerts, perhaps a podcast... I have been kept afloat by the audience and wish to help in any way I can. (I am just learning how to do video and I will try to get more proficient at it as the time goes by). I will do everything I can to help in the ways that Im able. On behalf of myself, Northern Music, HevyDevy Records, and the entire team that makes up my professional world, Thanks for supporting (saving) our business during this downturn. We realize the amount of people that are suffering and dont take this lightly. I figure the best way I can express this is to simply get to work. I will make sure I provide for the people who donated especially.
I am working on lots of ideas to provide during this hard period. I truly cant express my gratitude enough.
Thank you. https://youtu.be/k4p2g_fYwmg

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2236 on: March 17, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
I hope the songs can be downloaded at some point. Very soothing song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2237 on: March 17, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
That's nice and soothing.

I'm really hoping more bands start doing these  types of things now. Maybe an album or ep.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #2238 on: March 17, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
I contributed to that and to Hakens.

Devin just shared a new song Quarantine How cool is that?

From IG:

Hello all, welcome to the first installment of my 'Quarantine Project'

I want to be able to provide some relief during these coming times in the ways that I am able. People have been supportive of me in my time of need when we lost a lot of revenue due to the current and foreseeable touring cycle, and want to make sure I can provide something that in some way begins to say 'thank you'. In the ways Im able, I will provide as much content as I can during this period as its what I feel I can offer.
My company has a lot of people involved, and your support has saved us in so many ways. I know we are all affected by this and yes, I could look for another job during this period like so many others will have to, but I figure that the best thing I can do is focus on my work and hopefully provide some sort of relief doing what Im best at. I want to give back as much as I can over the next while, and I hope that some of the work I can manage here will provide a bit of comfort during these troubled times for those who enjoy what I do.

This first song, (see Youtube link) is just a melancholy sort of thing called ‘Quarantine’ to start the proceedings. The idea with this is that it may be many different styles, Twitch streams, concerts, perhaps a podcast... I have been kept afloat by the audience and wish to help in any way I can. (I am just learning how to do video and I will try to get more proficient at it as the time goes by). I will do everything I can to help in the ways that Im able. On behalf of myself, Northern Music, HevyDevy Records, and the entire team that makes up my professional world, Thanks for supporting (saving) our business during this downturn. We realize the amount of people that are suffering and dont take this lightly. I figure the best way I can express this is to simply get to work. I will make sure I provide for the people who donated especially.
I am working on lots of ideas to provide during this hard period. I truly cant express my gratitude enough.
Thank you. https://youtu.be/k4p2g_fYwmg

Fucking awesome. How can anyone NOT be inspired by this man??

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2239 on: March 18, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »
Donated. Man's a legend.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.