Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229036 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2065 on: April 05, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Hear Me is great, I love Anneke in it and the drumming really is just out of this world.  Honestly it doesn't even feel real though it's so ridiculous but having the video shows that it's not just some crazy drum machine. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2066 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:45 PM »
I'm curious how he does stuff from this album live. A song like Hear Me is pretty much impossible without Samus, so I wonder if he'll be the touring drummer.

I think the DTP will be back eventually, if only just because of monetary reasons. It was bold of Dev to put $170k of his own money towards this, but I can't imagine in the current music industry climate with his style of music that he'd get much of a return on that investment. DTP was a much more solid "Day Job" kind of band, and probably a more steady paycheck. So I think they'll be back by 2021 at the earliest. He's mentioned doing another Casualties record, and I think we'll get that before another DTP record or the "Moth" symphony(If that ever even happens).
The first Casualties record was crowdfunded through PledgeMusic and they surpassed the original goal by a ridiculous amount(The final number was 544%). I see no reason why that can't happen again for Casualties 2 or the Moth symphony or any of his future endeavors. Hell, even a Patreon. I'd happily give him like $10 a month so that he can keep going.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: April 05, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
I remember he said something about the tour for this would have a lot of different interpretations of the music from the album, so maybe songs like Hear Me won't be exact live. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2068 on: April 05, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »
Still trying to fully digest this album, but a couple of thoughts.

Hear Me has got to be one of the hardest songs I've ever tried to learn on the drums. Samus really brings it on the drums here. It's also a beast of a track.

The ending of Singularity is possibly one of the most majestic things Devin has ever done....possibly...
Did you see his playthrough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQaETtF_dzQ

That gravityblast or one handed roll has to be impossible to do clean in a live context without using triggers. Eitherway it's an insane track!
Yeah I posted that same link earlier in the thread. I've been watching Samus' Youtube and Twitch channels for years. So awesome that he got the opportunity to play on this album. He is a beast of a drummer for sure.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2069 on: April 06, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpjS7m6X4h4

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of this upon hearing the verse for Spirits Will Collide
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2070 on: April 06, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
I really like this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2071 on: April 08, 2019, 05:56:42 AM »
I think the DTP will be back eventually, if only just because of monetary reasons. It was bold of Dev to put $170k of his own money towards this, but I can't imagine in the current music industry climate with his style of music that he'd get much of a return on that investment. DTP was a much more solid "Day Job" kind of band, and probably a more steady paycheck. So I think they'll be back by 2021 at the earliest.
AFAIK, the problem with DTP was that it took up a day job amount of time for a lot of people that couldn't all earn money from it. Basically they were dependent on being locked into the tour machine to be able to earn anything at all. Now Devy is more flexible - if he loses, he loses, if he wins, he wins, and gets to collaborate with people on a more flexible schedule and basis.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: April 08, 2019, 06:58:40 AM »
I think the DTP will be back eventually, if only just because of monetary reasons. It was bold of Dev to put $170k of his own money towards this, but I can't imagine in the current music industry climate with his style of music that he'd get much of a return on that investment. DTP was a much more solid "Day Job" kind of band, and probably a more steady paycheck. So I think they'll be back by 2021 at the earliest.
AFAIK, the problem with DTP was that it took up a day job amount of time for a lot of people that couldn't all earn money from it. Basically they were dependent on being locked into the tour machine to be able to earn anything at all. Now Devy is more flexible - if he loses, he loses, if he wins, he wins, and gets to collaborate with people on a more flexible schedule and basis.

Yea, it certainly sounded like this was the issue.  But I think they could make it work for another tour, now to do full albums and the full band thing, maybe it won't work out again.  I think it also is because Devin wants to follow his own path, he can't make the music he wants to make that isn't DTP without still paying DTP and therefore it's impossible for him to fully express himself.  I wouldn't be surprised though if the record labels push him to make more DTP so that Devin can fund another one of his pet projects down the road.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2073 on: April 08, 2019, 07:23:40 AM »
I'm curious how he does stuff from this album live. A song like Hear Me is pretty much impossible without Samus, so I wonder if he'll be the touring drummer.

Nah. The problem he had with the DTP was the other guys in the band were salaried and that meant he had a commitment to generating income that took precedence over artistic expression. Sure, he probably spent explicitly more on this than the last few records but he wasn't spending anything on other people's salaries during that time.

Besides, it's his name that's been selling the music all this time. Dropping "project" off the end isn't going to have people have people asking who this "Devin Townsend" newcomer is.

I would guess that he'll end up in around the same economic position he was beforehand when it all shakes out. Albums/tours may cost more to pay individuals but the down time will cost him less with no salaries being paid and Empath will probably sell a decent amount but I would guess slightly less than the likes of Epicloud.

It's a cracking album, btw, but it's full on Dev. If you're inclined towards only certain parts of his output I can imagine it not working very well.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2074 on: April 10, 2019, 01:48:33 PM »
Initial impressions are that this is not surprisingly a very dense collection of music. He crammed everything into it. I think yet again he's overusing the choral/choir stuff and hiding his vocals (IMO). He's just kind of overdoing that aspect for my taste at this point. He does what he wants but his vocals are incredible and with a good melody its magical, so I don't need all that extra taking his place. It feels like at times he doesn't believe in his own musical ability (vocals/guitars) and he throws all these things into it to kind of hide behind it instead? Dunno. Speaking of melody... the beginning of Singularity vocal melody is so reminiscent of a Nirvana song (I know right?) and I can't think of the song lol.

Finally, "Hear Me" is fucking ACE! :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: April 10, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »
Speaking of melody... the beginning of Singularity vocal melody is so reminiscent of a Nirvana song (I know right?) and I can't think of the song lol.

The chorus of In Bloom perhaps?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2076 on: April 10, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »
Finally, "Hear Me" is fucking ACE! :metal

Seriously, 'Hear Me' is up there with his best tracks ever.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2077 on: April 10, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Speaking of melody... the beginning of Singularity vocal melody is so reminiscent of a Nirvana song (I know right?) and I can't think of the song lol.

The chorus of In Bloom perhaps?

A bit that, a bit Something In The Way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2078 on: April 11, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
Speaking of Devin Townsend, in the last 24 hours or so, I saw this:
https://youtu.be/85mmUj771Z8

And this:
https://youtu.be/Z9ZdpLSUrTU

Both very interesting in their own way.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2079 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:48 AM »
Speaking of Devin Townsend, in the last 24 hours or so, I saw this:
https://youtu.be/85mmUj771Z8

And this:
https://youtu.be/Z9ZdpLSUrTU

Both very interesting in their own way.

@Stads
You should definitely read his biography. If you enjoyed his openness and sincerity in the Loudwire interview, you will definitely like his bio.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2080 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:08 AM »
Good call!  Honestly, I already did.   It's funny, because my only experience with Devin was the Vai record, which I friggin' HATED when I first heard it.  I thought it was noise.   

Then I read his book, and was intrigued.  Shortly after, I got "Deep Peace" live in London in a roulette, and LOVED it (it was the song of the roulette for me).   The next exposure was Transcendence, which I also love.  I now have the Live In London set and the Contain Us set, which I haven't made it through yet, but it really is a case of liking the guy, which unlocked a lot of the music for me.  I just didn't get it before, but it seems to make an odd sort of sense now.   I can't say I like everything - still not down with the Strapping Young Lad, for the very reason he felt he had to make it - but I recently re-bought the Vai record for $0.50 on line, and it was WAY better than I remember it being. 

Offline TL

« Reply #2081 on: April 12, 2019, 06:29:14 PM »
I remember my first exposure to Dev was a friend of mine showing me some Strapping Young Lad ... and I bounced right off of it. I could recognize that there was some talent there, but it just really wasn't my jam. I've tried to go back to it numerous times over the years, and while I can appreciate it, it just really isn't for me.

It was years later when the same friend showed me Ziltoid that I started to take notice. From there I started exploring his catalog at the time, and when I came across Synchestra I thought, "This guy made all of these? Okay, I should probably stay up on what he's doing".

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2082 on: April 14, 2019, 12:58:29 AM »
Same, my first experience with Dev was Aftermath from SYL. I love that song though, so not much else in common.  :lol Granted, I haven't even tried anything else from SYL.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2083 on: April 14, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
Same, my first experience with Dev was Aftermath from SYL. I love that song though, so not much else in common.  :lol Granted, I haven't even tried anything else from SYL.

Check out Shitstorm and Skeksis

NOW

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2084 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
I'm late - I played Empath for the first time yesterday. As I said elsewhere, this thing is a beautiful, chaotic, glorious mess, and I think I love it at its best. At its worst, it's a bit tedious and overwhelming. The parts when I got exhausted reminded me of Luca Turilli's Rhapsody's Prometheus album - a genius artist going full bore and leaning heavily into the angle they're coming from, but sometimes maybe it's just too much.

So Genesis is cool, but Spirits Will Collide is forgettable (so is Borderlands), but sandwiched in between is this glorious triple combo of Sprite, Hear Me, and Why? - I didn't think the album could get any better after Sprite, but then Hear Me did just that, and then somehow I think I enjoyed Why? more. Sprite is beautiful, Hear Me is one of the most aggressive metal songs I've heard in a long time (without resorting to tryhard growls and death metal schlock). I deeply admire Devin and how he, again, leans heavily into whatever he's going for.

Requiem was okay but there's not much there. I haven't heard Singularity yet because I was exhausted by the time I got to Borderlands. I hope it's good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:10 PM »
I found singularity to be the exhausting part of the album.  I hardly go back to that song, but from Genesis to Borderlands I find that run to be great Devin music.  Borderlands is a bit exhausting too, so maybe I can leave it at Why but there's some good stuff in Borderlands but it's all jsut a bit disjointed for one song. 

Also, Sprite is the shit, that song is so cool.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2086 on: April 29, 2019, 11:34:49 PM »
It’s an overwhelming album for sure, which I believe was kind of the point. Usually not in the mood for it but when I am it’s really good. Genesis and Spirits are in regular rotation, the rest a bit less so. Sprite is cool but I truly cannot stand that narration about a little bird.  :lol
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Working man

« Reply #2087 on: April 30, 2019, 05:07:16 AM »
I love the album.

Was looking to get a live DVD. I saw the 4 dvd live from DTP...but is it out of print?

WM

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »
I love the album.

Was looking to get a live DVD. I saw the 4 dvd live from DTP...but is it out of print?

WM

Get The Retinal Circus.  That 4 DVD you mention is expensive and hard to find I believe.  I would like it but I'm not paying crazy money for it.  Those concerts were all on youtube at one point so I've watched them before and would pay for them, just not going to dish out more than they are worth especially since the quality of them isn't the greatest.  But the Retinal Circus is a well done concert DVD/Blu-Ray that features a lot of his music from his career but mostly around his DTP stuff specifically Epicloud.  Highly recommended.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: April 30, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »
Yeah, By A Thread is great but it's been out of print for years. It's hard to find and pretty expensive if you do find it. All 4 shows used to be on Youtube but now it's just a few individual songs. The full videos are out there though if you know where to look, or who to ask...

I do highly reccomend Retinal Circus. It has a lot more variety in song choice and just looks better all around. You can get a signed copy straight from Devin himself on eBay if you're interested. I actually bought one a few weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEVIN-TOWNSEND-Retinal-Circus-DVD-Signed/352649741778?hash=item521b9005d2:g:WEYAAOSw6CBcwedY

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:34:10 AM by Metropolaris »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2090 on: May 04, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
Anyone ordered the 2 CD version of Empath from Amazon.ca? If so, I need to know, did you get the limited edition o card version or the jewel case version? I thought the limited edition o card version was the only one that came with 2 CDs but I found out there’s a jewel case version with 2 CDs and I hope I don’t get that.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2091 on: May 04, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
I ordered from Amazon and mine came in a jewel case.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2092 on: May 05, 2019, 12:42:24 AM »
yup, same
was a tiny bit upset about it but eehhh, got both discs, got the booklet, digipak is nice but i dunno if i could even get it anymore (and obviously am not getting it now that i've had the album for over a month)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2093 on: May 05, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
Why? Is such a good orchestral sounding song. Showcases his voice a lot, its a neat song actually.

I haven't listened to Empath as much as I would have liked. But man when I do, I'm enjoying every moment.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Shredzorz

« Reply #2094 on: May 06, 2019, 03:04:39 AM »
Borderlands might be my favorite Devin Townsend song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2095 on: May 06, 2019, 08:23:46 AM »
Borderlands might be my favorite Devin Townsend song.

Same here. Its a good mix of all his Genres
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2096 on: May 07, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
So I just bought the limited edition 3 times to support Devin. He deserves it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: May 18, 2019, 09:28:20 AM »
Well my gf broke up with me so I guess I have no plans anymore for today with her so I think I'm going to go to the Devin acoustic show tonight.  This band he is opening for, Avatar.... is interesting.  I'll stick around for them after Devin.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2098 on: May 18, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
Well my gf broke up with me so I guess I have no plans anymore for today with her so I think I'm going to go to the Devin acoustic show tonight.  This band he is opening for, Avatar.... is interesting.  I'll stick around for them after Devin.

Sorry to hear that. :(

I hope your enjoy the show, though!  :tup :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: May 18, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
Devin was sooooo good, I'll have a full review tomorrow but for now

Devin Townsend - Why? Live @ Starland Ballroom NJ 5/18/19