Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229003 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1960 on: March 15, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
Does that have any of the songs that I mentioned liking? 

I was actually thinking about getting and watching Retinal Circus, since I think two of the videos for songs I mentioned came from that, and the visual spectacle of it seemed, at minimum, such an entertaining spectacle even aside from the songs themselves. 

As an aside, for those making recommendations who may not know if you haven't seen it come up in other threads, I generally do NOT like music where the lyrics are overly and overtly either bashing God or explicitly sexual or use gratuitous profanity.  I am under the impression (although I could be misinformed or just mistaken) that Devin can, at times, embrace both categories.  So if there are albums where those types of things are pretty overt, those are probably not the best recommendations for me.

I am not sure you'll like the visuals of Retinal Circus. They are........umm......racy at times, to say the least. At times it feels like Beavis and Butthead directed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1961 on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »
Hmm...well, I guess I can check it out first on, um...sources, first.  :biggrin:  If I like it and don't feel it crosses the line, I will definitely buy it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1962 on: March 15, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
Hmmm, I might also be thinking of the Ziltoid live at Albert Hall one. Dammit. Can't remember.

Ah well, one of them has a giant dick/vagina thing. Someone can correct me if it's not Retinal Circus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1963 on: March 15, 2019, 06:09:56 PM »
I still say either Ki or Casualties of Cool is the best thing he has ever done. Although I like the vast majority of his stuff. And as Stadler mentioned, his autobiography is a great read.
This is real funny to me because Casualties is my favorite but Ki is one of my least favorites, probably right along Dark Matters and Physicist.

I'd recommend Epicloud as a starting point as well. Sky Blue and Transcendence are for all.intents and purposes just Epicloud 2 and 3 imo
I think I remember you saying somewhere that you didn't like Ki too much. Which I feel is kind of odd because Ki feels like the jumping off point for what made Casualties of Cool possible.

As far as your second point goes, I agree with Sky Blue being Epicloud 2, but Transcendence was way better than either Epicloud or Sky Blue. At least in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:00:25 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1964 on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »

I am not sure you'll like the visuals of Retinal Circus. They are........umm......racy at times, to say the least. At times it feels like Beavis and Butthead directed.

Eh, I think that is overstating it.  It is kinda silly at times, but I take it as good fun. And we're all adults here. :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: March 16, 2019, 06:56:36 AM »
The version I saw was the live version from Retinal Circus.

The retinal circus focuses on his entire career but was also after the release of epic loud and has the most songs from that album. If you found his videos more intriguing to watch, since they really are, get the blu ray. Its soooooo good  but I think you can still just get epicloud too if youd rather just get an album to start.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: March 16, 2019, 07:02:11 AM »

Eh, I think that is overstating it.  It is kinda silly at times, but I take it as good fun. And we're all adults here. :biggrin:

Definitely all in fun, but if bosk isnt into it I'm not sure the for fun part changes things. That video does have the huge penis and vagina, some dancers in revealing clothing, and some other visuals that may or may not be too much.  It's over the top ridiculousness and it's my favorite all time concert on video, but I can see if someone isnt into that humor and entertainment to be turned off.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1967 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:53 AM »
Physicist is his best album by far and the best place to start.

NOT!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1968 on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
The version I saw was the live version from Retinal Circus.

The retinal circus focuses on his entire career but was also after the release of epic loud and has the most songs from that album. If you found his videos more intriguing to watch, since they really are, get the blu ray. Its soooooo good  but I think you can still just get epicloud too if youd rather just get an album to start.

This. If you get Epicloud, make sure its the 2 disc with the bonus disc. Great songs on that as well. I'd also say get Take My Ego and Cry Forever off of iTunes, both fantastic. I don't have a way to get the title track Epicloud as that is vinyl.

Retinal Circus is an overall fun bluray and show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1969 on: March 20, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »
What's the general consensus about the album Addicted among fans of Devin Townsend?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #1970 on: March 20, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
What's the general consensus about the album Addicted among fans of Devin Townsend?

I love it. It's just fun catchy heavy music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1971 on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:52 PM »
His second best album if you don't count Strapping Young Lad (and maybe still if you do)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1972 on: March 20, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
It's a good album
Probably the best of his poppier DTP albums, though Epicloud is a close second

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1973 on: March 20, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »

Probably my favorite album of his.  Has a lot of Anneke on it  :yarr

Online Adami

« Reply #1974 on: March 20, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
I'd also say his best use of Anneke as well, with Epicloud as a not terribly close 2nd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: March 20, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
I'd also say his best use of Anneke as well, with Epicloud as a not terribly close 2nd.

Yup, maybe my two favorite albums of his.  It's tough, he's got a bunch of good ones, but I think Devin + Anneke = awesomeness and probably my favorite material he has are the songs with them.

Online Adami

« Reply #1976 on: March 20, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
I'd put Deconstruction right up with Addicted, closely followed by Ki and Ghost, followed less closely by Accelerated Evolution, and then the rest that don't get ranked.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: March 20, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
Accelerate Evolution is pretty high on my list too, just another album that has it's own place in his catalog, nothing else really sounds like it but there's some good more straight forward metal on that.  I could say it's a good place to start if you are looking to get into DT since it's much easier to swallow, but it also doesn't really display his full sound to get the idea of what his music really is about. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1978 on: March 20, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »

The smart fans consider it one of his two or three best.

The rest can be disregarded.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1979 on: March 20, 2019, 07:26:58 PM »
I love it, but I have to be in the mood to listen to it specifically. If I want to listen to something Poppy by Dev I typically just listen to Epicloud, as I think it's a better representation of that side of his sound.

I'll rank the DTP albums because why not

1. Ki
2. Epicloud
3. Ghost
4. Deconstruction
5. Addicted
6. Sky Blue
7. Transcendence
8. Dark Matters (I know this is classified as a Dev solo album and not a DTP album, but the DTP guys play on it and it was released the same day as Sky Blue, so I call it a DTP album.)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1980 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »
just the DTP albums? sure

Decon
Addicted
Epicloud
Ghost
Sky Blue
Transcendence
Ki
Dark Matters

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #1981 on: March 20, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
Here's mine

1. Ghost
2. Addicted
3. Ki
4. Deconstruction
5. Sky Blue
6. Transcendence
7. Epicloud
8. Dark Matters

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1982 on: March 21, 2019, 05:49:02 AM »

Yup, maybe my two favorite albums of his.  It's tough, he's got a bunch of good ones, but I think Devin + Anneke = awesomeness and probably my favorite material he has are the songs with them.
Addicted and Epicloud are essential later Devy listens for me. Sky Blue and Transcendence are good for people who want a bit of everything, but I haven't connected with them so much so far. Ziltoid stuff is nice, but the concept doesn't amuse me as much as Devin just writing about life. Ki and Ghost in particular are fantastic. And writing this I literally forgot Deconstruction exists  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: March 21, 2019, 06:29:02 AM »
Thanks fellas, just wanted to make sure I had sampled something that fans recommend.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: March 26, 2019, 09:18:07 AM »
Empath has leaked and wow it is a lot to take in.

Online Adami

« Reply #1985 on: March 26, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
Well I look forward to buying it in 3 days.

Would you say it's similar to the last few albums? I surely hope not. But I'm just a tad concerned.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »
Well I look forward to buying it in 3 days.

Would you say it's similar to the last few albums? I surely hope not. But I'm just a tad concerned.

After just 1 full listen so far, I'd say it has more in common with the bonus discs of Transcendence and Epicloud than the main albums. There is some more straightforward stuff like the last few DTP albums but the whole album is not in that style.

And just to be clear, I have preordered the album both Physically and Digitally.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:08:58 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1987 on: March 26, 2019, 10:34:58 AM »
Best since Deconstruction easily.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1988 on: March 26, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »
I ordered it off Amazon already but it's not gonna ship until next week

Gonna download the digital version whenever it's up tho cause lol @ waiting, not today

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1989 on: March 26, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
Also, there was a lot of discussion earlier about Chad Kroeger being on this album. He sings backup vocals on Hear Me, but his vocals are so buried with the rest of the choir backup vocals that he's barely noticeable. Those of us who hate Nickelback have nothing to fear.  :smiley:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1990 on: March 26, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »
There is a nice lyrical Transcendence call-back in Requiem. Really enjoyed that when it came up.
Singularity is a lot to take in. Weird is the best word to describe it, but in a good way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: March 27, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »
Devin I guess fired a small tweet storm today about his album being pirated, one is here:

Please support physical product if you can, I don’t care that it leaked, but if my prior actions or words justified that, then I have to retract whatever it is I said. I have a big mouth and I just like making tunes basically

I am typically a digital downloader, amazon has essentially everything I need and usually has the bonus tracks for download too.  I think I'm going to buy the physical product this time.

If it doesn't sell well, he can't continue he says, I want him to continue even if I don't like the album.  While some might say he is being a salesman, as someone who follows, I know he is not.  I feel he is the most genuine person in the music business.  I support that, and him.  Pre-ordered the CD on amazon.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1992 on: March 28, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »
Physicist is his best album by far

I know this is a joke and all, but I honestly don’t get why people always trash this album. I think it’s actually quite good and far from the ‘worst’ thing he’s released.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: March 28, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
I really didn't like it the first time I listened to it.

Now that I have let it sink in, it's amazing.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1994 on: March 28, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
Physicist is his best album by far

I know this is a joke and all, but I honestly don’t get why people always trash this album. I think it’s actually quite good and far from the ‘worst’ thing he’s released.

It's definitely better than the first SYL album. If you include Punky Bruster and his two ambient albums that also brings Physicist up a few pegs.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1