Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 227851 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1680 on: November 01, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
I have his book on my Kindle; going to start reading it as soon as I finish Bruce's book.

Cool. My next on the list is Bruce's book. Have heard mixed reviews about it.

Bruce's book should be in my mail on Friday.  I should read Dev's next, I bet it's a really good and interesting read.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1681 on: November 03, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
It has come to my attention, I never bothered to post pics of the Casualties of Cool box-set. Well, here they are...

Box:

Side View (showing the thickness)

Contents:

Sunglasses:

Wooden Comb:

Lyric Book:

Non-Numbered Authentication Letter:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: November 03, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »
That's pretty cool and unique  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1683 on: November 03, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
I'm still wondering if I'm the only one who has a Non-Numbered letter, which I find funny as hell. I was in awe at it when it finally arrived.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1684 on: November 04, 2017, 04:17:21 AM »
I want the comb and glasses pretty badly. Going on holiday on Monday and they would be perfect  :coolio

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1685 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1686 on: November 20, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
That better be a bonus song. Haha that was fantastic. Love the little bloops, and whole sound texture. Haha.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
 :lol wtf

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1688 on: November 21, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
Definitely his heaviest song so far.

This is amazing and I love this man. This is actually super chill though; I like those little bloops as well.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: December 01, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
Sweet setlist at a headlining gig last night

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/devin-townsend-project/2017/baltimore-sound-stage-baltimore-md-13e00145.html

I hope some of those songs get played when he returns to NJ at the end of the year (DTP played the same venue earlier in the year so it would be sweet if they mixed in these new setlist additions)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1690 on: December 02, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
Saw Devin and crew the other night in Myrtle Beach (they were of course fantastic!) but earlier in the day this happened....  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: December 28, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
Just spoke to Dave Young, aka yelled "go get em" as he grabbed his guitar from behind the stage an hour or so before they go on and he stops and asks me what I just yelled so I say it again and he laughs and goes backstage with his guitar.

Also told his tech as he's setting up set lists to change a song to Gaia.

They hit the stage in like 30 minutes maybe

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1692 on: January 31, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
From Facebook:

Hey guys, Devin here.

So after 8 years of touring with DTP, I've decided to take a break from this band and focus on a number of other projects I've been really wanting to do for some time now. The band have been there with me through thick and thin and we've shared some pretty great moments - I can’t say enough good things about them - And in the future, I'm sure we'll work again.

I have 4 new albums I am currently working on. I am currently in the finishing stages one of the grandest and most overwhelming projects that I have been fortunate to do. It's certainly my favourite DVD release of them all and is a powerful moment, if I can say so myself. Ocean Machine Live In Plovdiv (tentative name) Mixing the orchestras, choirs, the 'by-request' set and the full Ocean Machine album in that magnificent setting has been hugely rewarding. Seeing this spectacle come to life is a testament to this period of work and I can't wait for you to see and hear it.

Life is short and I have a lot I need to say in some new and different avenues. I will certainly continue to play live in several new ways (starting next year) and I'm excited about some collaborative things that have also come up as well.

I salute the band, the team, and the audience for allowing us to do what we have done and the patience to accommodate my persistent morphing. As someone who’s music is connected to his personal growth, I feel an obligation to follow this muse wherever it leads. To not do so would be in direct opposition to what it is I have fundamentally done for all these years.

Peace and respect,
Devin Townsend

DTP is no more..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1693 on: January 31, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »
Don't matter who he plays with. Devy is Devy. It's sure to be great.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1694 on: January 31, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
Don't matter who he plays with. Devy is Devy. It's sure to be great.

Well, it's sure to be entertaining, at least.

And he does leave the door open for working with DTP again, but for now it'll be interesting to see what happens.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1695 on: January 31, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
I'm interested in what he has planned. And what he has planned that we don't know about.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1696 on: January 31, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
Wow. Didn't see that coming.  :'(

I kinda understand though, and the more I think about it, it's not surprising. He did the same thing with SYL and the DTB. Both were his main focus for years until he wanted to move onto the next thing. I'm glad he's not shutting the door completely on DTP though.
Devin has always talked about working on various other projects in addition to DTP like Obviouser, Garden Music, that electronic EP he mentioned years ago, the Moth Symphony, and of course Casualties, but DTP was his day job and that had to be his main focus. So I'm excited to see these projects finally come to fruition and hopefully a second Casualties record.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: January 31, 2018, 10:31:58 AM »
Sad news, DTP was my favorite of Devs bands. Totally didn't see this coming.  I look forward to what else he will be working on but I'm feeling it might not be up my alley. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1698 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
Sad news, DTP was my favorite of Devs bands. Totally didn't see this coming.  I look forward to what else he will be working on but I'm feeling it might not be up my alley.

My feelings exactly. I enjoy Ryan's drumming as well as Dave's, Mike, and Bryan's playing a lot. This was a great band. Very sad to hear this news.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1699 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:36 AM »
I'm glad I got to see them play for the first time last year  :metal

Although it kind of sucks I totally trust Devin and I'll be damn sure I go see him, in whatever way he chooses to perform. I'm really excited to see what he does next. I think he's one of the only artists, that I listen to, that can do so many genres, so successfully.

Sure I prefer DTP more than Casualties of Cool but I know given the chance I would go see him perform, whatever he's doing. I was gutted I missed his solo shows, where he played exclusively in churches (or similar settings), as it sounded amazing. I'd go to a spoken word show with Dev for god's sake!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: January 31, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
Apparently I posted this on another Devin thread, but given the news, I'll share it here too because now I am really glad I caught this show.

I got to see DTP open for Clutch a month or so ago,   I chilled along the side of the stage.  Got to talk to the whole band before they went on, saw Dev strum the guitar offstage to start Truth, and when they finished Ryan gave me a setlist for which Devin signed when he got off stage.  What a tight band that seemed to care for the fans.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1701 on: January 31, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
I LITERALLY bought the By A Thread box about a month ago, and was looking at the Contain Us set on a used site...  perfect timing!  :)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1702 on: January 31, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
I'm sure whatever Devin gets involved into he will deliver the goods. I hope he gets his voice back together, as he said several times he should. I think his vocals have been getting slightly weaker compared to a few years back.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1703 on: January 31, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »
I'm sure whatever Devin gets involved into he will deliver the goods. I hope he gets his voice back together, as he said several times he should. I think his vocals have been getting slightly weaker compared to a few years back.

Yes. Every word.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1704 on: January 31, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
Wow. Didn't see that coming.  :'(

I kinda understand though, and the more I think about it, it's not surprising. He did the same thing with SYL and the DTB. Both were his main focus for years until he wanted to move onto the next thing. I'm glad he's not shutting the door completely on DTP though.
Devin has always talked about working on various other projects in addition to DTP like Obviouser, Garden Music, that electronic EP he mentioned years ago, the Moth Symphony, and of course Casualties, but DTP was his day job and that had to be his main focus. So I'm excited to see these projects finally come to fruition and hopefully a second Casualties record.

That's how I see it. He has mentioned all these cool other ideas. You could say, he was getting bored.

I am so excited, though. He is so diverse in his music that I am so excited to see him focusing more, on the many other projects he has been working on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1705 on: January 31, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »
God bless artists like Devin Townsend who follow their heart and do whatever they want to do, no matter what anyone else thinks.  I trust the process with him, as always. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1706 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:22 PM »
God bless artists like Devin Townsend who follow their heart and do whatever they want to do, no matter what anyone else thinks.  I trust the process with him, as always. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Yup!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1707 on: January 31, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
The more I think about this, the more I am glad he is going this.  I liked Transcendence, but I didn't love it, and I think on some level, it was almost like the DTP was on auto-pilot.  Don't get me wrong, they still gave us two discs of mostly really good tunes on it (counting the bonus disc), but the wow factor was absent from most of it, and I have to think that this change will be a really good thing for us hardcore longtime fans.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1708 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
Is it safe to admit I’ve never heard one note of his music?  :(
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1709 on: January 31, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
The fact that DTP is an indefinite hiatus doesn't bother me. The fact that Devin is still doing music is all I need to know. Hopefully we get another Casualties of Cool album. Perhaps some more collaborations too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1710 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »

Safe, yes, but it sounds like I need to burn some CDs and personally drive them to you. :hat

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1711 on: January 31, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »
The fact that DTP is an indefinite hiatus doesn't bother me. The fact that Devin is still doing music is all I need to know. Hopefully we get another Casualties of Cool album. Perhaps some more collaborations too.

Pretty much. I have DTP listed in my files as "Devin Townsend" like his regular albums (same with tDTB and CoC) so it's just like, still getting DT albums, sound might change, cool.

I never really was able to mentally differentiate music acts like that. Bob Seger, with or without the Silver Bullet Band listed on the album cover, is still just "Bob Seger" to me. Same with Neal Morse's last two albums. It's just "Neal Morse" to me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1712 on: January 31, 2018, 08:22:08 PM »
Another Casualties of Cool album would definitely make my man parts jiggle.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1713 on: January 31, 2018, 10:21:10 PM »

Safe, yes, but it sounds like I need to burn some CDs and personally drive them to you. :hat

What would be some keystone songs to listen to of his?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1714 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:52 AM »
"Kingdom"
"Effervescent"
"Juular"
Anything off the Addicted album

You can/should check out anything from his older band, Strapping Young Lad.
Brave
Murder
Day