Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 228748 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1645 on: September 22, 2017, 04:30:24 PM »
Where's the orchestra?

The orchestra only played during the By Request set

lol why?  Weren't we all speculating all along they were playing along with OM and not sure if it would include the By Request?  Seems odd

Yea, that seems odd. I was assuming the orchestra would be accompanying all music played this evening. I understand it may have been a difficult thing to pull off but that was what was making this show so special.

Anyway, wish I'd been there regardless. Looking forward to checking this out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: September 22, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »
Yea, this is definitely a day 1 blu-ray purchase for me and I'm glad that By Request set was solid, not getting repeats from the past DVDs

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1647 on: September 22, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »
From the videos that are already released on youtube it is clear to see that he didn't put a vocal performance as good as he did in the Royal Albert Hall. At least on The Death of Music. He's slowly losing his voice. I think around 2010 he was at his top form. Since then he has been slowly getting worse, which is understandable with age.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1648 on: September 23, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cwmcNBM4M

He couldn't sing the best part on "Funeral"

"The day's gone, and the year's gone..............."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1649 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Can't comment on the live stuff, but his studio stuff has shown a decline in his voice as well. He used to sing these insane vocals, and for the most part now he does the huge choir vocals to save his strength. If it works, it works. Glad he's finding ways to compensate.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1650 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »
I don't know. Looking at the setlist, it was a hugely demanding show to sing. But he sounded great at the RAH concert, even though that was a tough setlist as well. I think the vocals in the studio haven't been showing the decline, however. Yes, there aren't as many high notes maybe as 5-10 years ago. But his technique has actually greatly improved since he quit SYL, and the male voice gets lower with age anyway, especially if you scream like Devin does. At recent live shows when I've seen him, his vocals were mostly very good.
I think this is just due to a number of factors. He's mentioned on Twitter that this year has been one of his most demanding so far with all the touring and travelling for interviews and promoting gear and stuff.  Moreover, the other two full OM performances that he's done so far didn't have a 1 hour show in advance already. Lastly, he's mentioned that doing OM in full like this is pretty much an emotional rollercoaster, and this time he even had the original bassist come on and play the whole thing with him, and he had the orchestra play the first set with the DTP, which can also be very stressful. Being stressed out a bit can greatly strain your voice when you have to sing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1651 on: September 24, 2017, 05:08:10 AM »
He sounded amazing live, imo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »
He's mentioned on Twitter that this year has been one of his most demanding so far with all the touring and travelling for interviews and promoting gear and stuff.

I'm sure his voice is degrading over the years with age, but I think the above is a big reason as well.  He tweets a lot about being exhausted from this years touring.  I'm sure his vocal cords have taken a beating.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1653 on: September 24, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
I don't know. Looking at the setlist, it was a hugely demanding show to sing. But he sounded great at the RAH concert, even though that was a tough setlist as well. I think the vocals in the studio haven't been showing the decline, however. Yes, there aren't as many high notes maybe as 5-10 years ago. But his technique has actually greatly improved since he quit SYL, and the male voice gets lower with age anyway, especially if you scream like Devin does. At recent live shows when I've seen him, his vocals were mostly very good.
I think this is just due to a number of factors. He's mentioned on Twitter that this year has been one of his most demanding so far with all the touring and travelling for interviews and promoting gear and stuff.  Moreover, the other two full OM performances that he's done so far didn't have a 1 hour show in advance already. Lastly, he's mentioned that doing OM in full like this is pretty much an emotional rollercoaster, and this time he even had the original bassist come on and play the whole thing with him, and he had the orchestra play the first set with the DTP, which can also be very stressful. Being stressed out a bit can greatly strain your voice when you have to sing.

I wasn't talking about high notes or his career post SYL. I meant mostly for the last few albums. His screams are fine, but his actual clean vocal seem to rely more and more on tons of layers, which are usually made up of much softer vocal tracks. I dunno, to me there's been a decline in vocals for the past 2-3 albums. If you guys don't hear it, awesome. But I do.

Still a die hard fan, just my observation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1654 on: September 24, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZcIpXwlHTk/

Cool pic Dev just shared from the Ocean Machine days with Rob Halford  :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1655 on: September 24, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »

I wasn't talking about high notes or his career post SYL. I meant mostly for the last few albums. His screams are fine, but his actual clean vocal seem to rely more and more on tons of layers, which are usually made up of much softer vocal tracks. I dunno, to me there's been a decline in vocals for the past 2-3 albums. If you guys don't hear it, awesome. But I do.

Yep, same here.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1656 on: September 25, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
I prefer Devin's clean vocals. Kind of like Akerfeldt's. Their voice is just perfect to my ears.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: September 26, 2017, 02:21:06 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QulmWwAbOy0

it's a long video, but i am only a few minutes in and this is amazing.

Devin Townsend is a guest on Slavi's Show in Bulgaria

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1658 on: September 26, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
The fact that he's not a global mega star for his comedic prowess baffles me daily.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1659 on: September 26, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »

Hmm. I see your point. I've noticed the tons of layers as well, especially on Epicloud, Casualties and Z2. You're right there! But I felt that was toned down a bit on Transcendence, especially on the first few songs. Maybe I don't remember it right, though. Anyway, even though he uses backing tracks live as well, I think he's as strong as ever.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: September 29, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
Alright, I'm seeing the man today! I'm not even his biggest fan (I only like a couple of albums), but I'm really curious and excited to see him live. It's his first Russian tour too, and also the first time he's playing in Moscow, so this was a no-brainer, I just had to get the tickets.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: September 29, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »
 :metal I'm sure you'll enjoy the show and especially his talks between songs  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1662 on: September 29, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
Alright, I'm seeing the man today! I'm not even his biggest fan (I only like a couple of albums), but I'm really curious and excited to see him live. It's his first Russian tour too, and also the first time he's playing in Moscow, so this was a no-brainer, I just had to get the tickets.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this gig dude. I've only seen Dev once, earlier this year, but he was awesome! Definitely one of those bands/artists that I could see people falling in love with when seeing them live. So good!

:metal I'm sure you'll enjoy the show and especially his talks between songs  :lol

Also, totally this. His shows are part improv, stand up comedy.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: September 30, 2017, 04:31:03 AM »
Good gig, definitely was worth it to go. Not sure if I'm going to listen to Devin's music more now, but I enjoyed it. Highlights for me were Failure, Deadhead, March of the Poozers and Ih-Ah.

There wasn't a lot of talking spots between songs, maybe four—not counting Ih-Ah—but from these I could tell he's genuine and hilarious. :lol He came down after the show and spent like ten minutes signing people's stuff—I've got my copy of Transcendence signed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QulmWwAbOy0

it's a long video, but i am only a few minutes in and this is amazing.

Devin Townsend is a guest on Slavi's Show in Bulgaria

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Just watched this. Wow. :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »
There's six individual album themes I'm working on now. If you don't like what I do, they won't change your mind, but I think they're killer

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/916125422840029189

:omg:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: October 06, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
There's six individual album themes I'm working on now. If you don't like what I do, they won't change your mind, but I think they're killer

Out of those 6, I expect maybe 3 to actually be released  :lol
I'm still waiting on Obviouser, Empath, Garden Music, that Electronic EP he mentioned years ago, and the Moth Symphony.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1666 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »

Out of those 6, I expect maybe 3 to actually be released  :lol
I'm still waiting on Obviouser, Empath, Garden Music, that Electronic EP he mentioned years ago, and the Moth Symphony.

Maybe he added one more theme, while he was working on those other ones.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: October 19, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/921178656294060033

Anyways, we're going to do a really cool vinyl box set of my stuff since Ki...working on ideas now with the label.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #1668 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »
Side note: Anyone who hasn't checked out the bonus disc on Transcendence, do so as its probably up there with his best stuff (Celestial Signals is one of the best songs DT has written IMO)

Also check out the original Ziltoid version of Juular (A Ziltoidian Rapture) - will blow your mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUuIt-jgNc

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1669 on: October 20, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »

I was never really a huge Devin fan, having only known "Sex and Religion" and not being blown away by it at all.   But I've come to like Devin as an artist (saw his video where he writes a song in real time and was really impressed) and tried to give him a second chance.  Two songs from Transcendence really hit home, but I (randomly) got "Deep Peace" from the By A Thread set, and was blown away.  I mean, socks off, hair in a mess, sweating, blown away.  I haven't been moved by a piece of music like that in a while.  Then I heard "Kingdom" from the same set and it wasn't quite that, well, transcendent, but it was still good.   And the point of this is:  I like the mix.   I know I'm dealing with only a sliver of his output (but I've heard things in pieces and snippets, so I'm not completely naïve to his catalogue), and for me, more is not more; too much of the screams gets stale, and his "quiet voice" isn't quite distinctive enough to be the only color on the palate.   For me, the beauty of the song "Deep Peace" was the build up, the way that he covered so much ground - musically and emotionally - in, what, six minutes?   That, to me, is the mark of a really strong artist:  use ALL the tools in your tool box.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: October 20, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/921178656294060033

Anyways, we're going to do a really cool vinyl box set of my stuff since Ki...working on ideas now with the label.

Decon & Ghost on vinyl! Take my money.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: October 20, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »
I assume it just the DTP studio stuff. No live stuff, since a Vinyl version of By A Thread is a box set in itself. And IIRC, Casualties has already been released on vinyl.

So it'll probably just be:

Ki
Addicted
Deconstruction
Ghost
Epicloud
Sky Blue
Dark Matters
Transcendence

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1672 on: October 20, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »
Z2 and Transcendence were also released on vinyl.

This looks good, although I wouldn’t mind it just being the core four DTP albums to save money.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1673 on: October 20, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »

I was never really a huge Devin fan, having only known "Sex and Religion" and not being blown away by it at all.   But I've come to like Devin as an artist (saw his video where he writes a song in real time and was really impressed) and tried to give him a second chance.  Two songs from Transcendence really hit home, but I (randomly) got "Deep Peace" from the By A Thread set, and was blown away.  I mean, socks off, hair in a mess, sweating, blown away.  I haven't been moved by a piece of music like that in a while.  Then I heard "Kingdom" from the same set and it wasn't quite that, well, transcendent, but it was still good.   And the point of this is:  I like the mix.   I know I'm dealing with only a sliver of his output (but I've heard things in pieces and snippets, so I'm not completely naïve to his catalogue), and for me, more is not more; too much of the screams gets stale, and his "quiet voice" isn't quite distinctive enough to be the only color on the palate.   For me, the beauty of the song "Deep Peace" was the build up, the way that he covered so much ground - musically and emotionally - in, what, six minutes?   That, to me, is the mark of a really strong artist:  use ALL the tools in your tool box.

Deep Peace is a top 10 Devin tune.  :tup :tup

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1674 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »

Stadler: Please read his bio. It's available at the Kindle store. Pretty deep and honest stuff.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: October 31, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
On the topic of future albums...

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/925209764635688960
Condensing all these ideas, I have themes for 4 albums I think...

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/925213773270364160
Empath, The Moth, a complicated one (untitled), a beautiful one (untitled) though there are some Casualties songs and heavy songs too...

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/925320963373252608
First release will be Empath.

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/925332231442251778
Empath is a dtp album...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: November 01, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
 :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1677 on: November 01, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
I have his book on my Kindle; going to start reading it as soon as I finish Bruce's book.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1679 on: November 01, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
I have his book on my Kindle; going to start reading it as soon as I finish Bruce's book.

Cool. My next on the list is Bruce's book. Have heard mixed reviews about it.