Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229079 times)

Offline Basekick

Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #1190 on: September 09, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »
So what songs do you guys would like to see live? I am tired of him playing the same songs over and over again, like Grace, Kingdom, Ih-Ah, Rejoice, March of the Poozers, Truth, Christeen, War, Life, etc.

Some songs that I would love to see:

Funeral and Bastard (He played Funeral only once and Bastard a few times, but only quite recently)
The Death of Music (Also only quite recently)
Bad Devil
Noisy Pink Bubbles
Canada, Down and Under, The Fluker, Nobody's here, Tiny Tears, Stagnant (Yea, pretty much the whole side 2 of Terria)
Depth Charge, Random Analysis, Away, Sunday Afternoon, Slow Me Down
Let It Roll, Hypergeek, Triumph, Gaia
Resolve!, The Way Home!, Awake!!
Coast, Gato, Praise the Lowered, The Mighty Masturbator, Deconstruction
Liberation, Happy Birthday, Quietus, The Mind Wasp
Rain City, Before We Die

So many songs he's never played live or almost never played live.

I'm dying to hear Suicide live as it's my favorite song of his by far.  Maybe one day.

I think an ideal set from me would have these lesser played songs:

Suicide
Liberation
Tiny Tears
Depth Charge
Storm
Triumph
Pixilate
Bastard
Funeral
Take My Ego

Just had my first spin of the bonus disc. Some real interesting stuff here, but didn't blow me away like the main CD. It's apparent to me that he didn't take as much time on these songs as the others. Also, it seems to be mixed a lot worse than the Disc 1, but that could just be me.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1191 on: September 09, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
I think it's kind of odd that songs from his last couple albums (not counting Casualties) are considered overplayed already. March of the Poozers and Rejoice are still new tunes to me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1192 on: September 09, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
I think it's kind of odd that songs from his last couple albums (not counting Casualties) are considered overplayed already. March of the Poozers and Rejoice are still new tunes to me.

I think its more an issue of these songs already having had a place in the setlist on the last tour cycle he did while promoting Z2.  Poozers and Rejoice have kinda been played to death since 2014 already.

I'd love to see Rain City live instead as ChuckSteak mentioned, or War Princess. Just bring out the other songs on the album besides the singles and the ones they've already played. When the next DTP album comes out we'll probably see Failure still on the setlist again and again and again instead of From The Heart or Gump.

I really wish he'd make Poltergeist a regular part of his set, that song slays and would probably be great in a live setting. Or literally anything from Synchestra besides Vampira.
Triumph and Notes From Africa would both be swell. Anything from Accelerated Evolution also would be cool, Suicide and Sunday Afternoon in particular.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1193 on: September 10, 2016, 03:26:37 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think he played March of the Poozers and Rejoice everywhere, USA and Europe. I think he could vary the songs a little bit. I don't consider Casualties a Devin record, it is more of a side-project. I don't think he will play Casulties songs live while he is touring with DTP.

I don't know why he keeps playing the same songs when there is so much else he could play live. A lot of songs he's never played.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1194 on: September 10, 2016, 05:15:02 AM »
Finally got Transcendence (with the Holding Patterns bonus disk) through the post this morning. First listen is underway. So hoping this will blow my socks off after the wait  :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1195 on: September 10, 2016, 07:31:40 AM »
Yeah the second disc is great as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1196 on: September 10, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
Bought the deluxe edition online this morning. A lot going on this weekend (wedding tonight, football tomorrow), but I will find time to get to it all. :hat

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1197 on: September 10, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
I don't know why he keeps playing the same songs when there is so much else he could play live. A lot of songs he's never played.

In the case of Accelerated Evolution I'd argue that most of it is just not good live music. Deadhead is his most played song off it for a pretty good reason.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1198 on: September 10, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
Time Overload on the bonus disc is awesome.

Canucklehead pretty blatantly rips off/borrows from CCR's Travelin' Band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: September 10, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
Pumped to see him in a few hours, Anneke was amazing in the Gentle Storm last night!  This is going to be orgasmic.  :metal :metal

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1200 on: September 10, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
very jealous.  Atlanta's a 3 hour drive for me which is the closest he'll get.  but it's still too far to drive back after the concert for me, and with 2 small kids it's just not doable.  have fun and rock out for me!  let me know the setlist.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1201 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
Yea enjoying the bonus disk a lot, just like I enjoyed Epiclouder  :biggrin:

So jealous of all you guys seeing Devy, I've got to wait until March  :tdwn

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1202 on: September 10, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »

Yea but maybe the setlist he plays in Europe will be better.  ;)

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1203 on: September 10, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »

Yea but maybe the setlist he plays in Europe will be better.  ;)

Good point. All good things come to those wait........or live in Europe  :lol

To be honest though it will be my first time seeing him live so I'm not too fussed on the set as it will all be a first for me.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1204 on: September 10, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »

I'm seeing him for the first time in Orlando tomorrow night. I hope there's some decent looking women there to
keep me occupied during the first two bands, for I don't see myself paying too much attention to them.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1205 on: September 10, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
Canucklehead pretty blatantly rips off/borrows from CCR's Travelin' Band.

I mean, it's Devin's one time to have fun in your standard 12 bar blues that's similar to a ton of songs from the 60s.

Long Tall Sally by the Beatles is another off the top of my head.

"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: September 10, 2016, 10:44:49 PM »
He just finished at ProgPower and played a fairly different set and was amazingoing with anneke. He got real pissed at the guitar Tech for messing up the acoustic guitar. Also he he recorded the show.  :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1207 on: September 11, 2016, 04:39:14 AM »
He just finished at ProgPower and played a fairly different set and was amazingoing with anneke. He got real pissed at the guitar Tech for messing up the acoustic guitar. Also he he recorded the show.  :metal
Good. I hope he releases it sometime.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1208 on: September 11, 2016, 05:44:42 AM »
The ProgPower set is awesome, I hope I get to see Angel and Numbered! as well when I see him in February.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1209 on: September 11, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
Whenever Anneke is touring with him, I think certain songs should almost be a given to play, and Numbered is one of those songs.  :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: September 11, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
Pretty sure that's the debut of "Angel" and "Offer Your Light", which is awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: September 11, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »
Yea, they played most of Addicted which was amazing, also got Offer Your Light which was really fun live.  A new song I really like.

Setlist.fm doesn't note either that he actually opened with a cover of the song Summer of 69.  He only played the beginning and then went into Angel, but he did actually perform it (not from the PA).

That was an amazing experience, one of the best shows ever.  Well the whole festival really, but his performance was the one I looked forward to the most and the band delivered.  I love how he pulled out different songs and Anneke was soooooo amazing.  She adds so much to the live experience. 

They did have a bunch of technical issues though, with Dev's guitar and also with Anneke's mic during Grace.  He mentioned he paid $1300 for the recording of the show, but makes me wonder with the issues if he would still release it.  I certainly hope so.  I actually felt bad for the guitar tech since Dev actually was calling him out on the mistake before Ih-Ah. 

Anyway, I got a video of Angel and shared it with a girl I've been seeing and she was amazed at Anneke's voice.  It really shines in this song.  https://youtu.be/qe3zszfuyUw

Edit to also add that the curtain also fucked up opening for him.  He was right behind it cracking jokes which was hilarious acting like he was trying to get out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:31:01 AM by cramx3 »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1212 on: September 11, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
The ProgPower set is awesome, I hope I get to see Angel and Numbered! as well when I see him in February.
I am also seeing him in February. German?

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1213 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:15 AM »
Pretty sure that's the debut of "Angel" and "Offer Your Light", which is awesome.

I think that first song was played on the Progressive Nation at Sea cruise but im not sure

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1214 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »

Yup. Where are you seeing him?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1215 on: September 11, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »

Stuttgart. You?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1216 on: September 11, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »

Stuttgart. You?
Leipzig.

In other news, I just listened to the bonus disc for the first time. First impressions are pretty damn positive, though I do think that it kind of runs together in the middle, with the run of Lexus - Farther On - Victim being the least interesting part of the album. However, Gump through Time Overload is awesome and the closing three songs in particular are just a really good run of music. I especially enjoy the breather that Loud provides at the end, allowing the listener to come down from the insanity of Monkeymind and the exuberance of Canucklehead.

Like the main album, this needs more listens, but I'd give it a tentative 8/10 at this point (I'd give the main album a 8.5/10 at this point, but I'm pretty sure that both of those scores will change as I listen to both the main album and the bonus disc more in the coming weeks).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:42:28 PM by Scorpion »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1217 on: September 11, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
As far as I'm concerned Dev can keep churning out these 'bonus disks' with his albums forever. They are often full of so many great songs, he chucks in some goofy ones and songs that didn't fit the feel of the main album. Let's be honest a lot of the tracks are as good as main album tracks anyway. It still surprises me how quickly he pumps this stuff out, especially as it's such high quality  :metal

I still haven't touched some of Devy's less popular albums. The Hummer, Ass Sordid Demos or whatever it's called etc...

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1218 on: September 11, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
I still haven't touched some of Devy's less popular albums. The Hummer, Ass Sordid Demos or whatever it's called etc...
Me neither and I have been listening to Dev for years. I think it is time to get them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1219 on: September 11, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
I actually kinda like The Hummer. I have to be in the right mood for it. Devlab, on the other hand, is just annoying and I have no desire to ever listen to it again. I haven't checked out The Ass-Sordid Demos.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1220 on: September 11, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
Canucklehead is great, its like Sunshine and Happiness all over again. I love these songs as they are just fun. I'd actually love an album of songs like this, pretty sure Dev could knock up a whole album of this stuff in a day  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1221 on: September 11, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
Well I stayed away from Physicist for quite a while because it seemed to have a bad reputation. I haven't got a problem with it though, it's not his best but it's still good. I'm not the sort of person whose ear picks up bad production or whatever so the production never bothered me.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1222 on: September 11, 2016, 07:16:37 PM »
Too much Dev? Not enough Dev?

That's almost 2.5 days of Devin's music. That's including SYL, Casualties, DTP and DTB.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1223 on: September 11, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
Did anyone else who bought DTP/BTBAM VIP tickets not receive the BTBAM ep in their email yet?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1224 on: September 11, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Did anyone else who bought DTP/BTBAM VIP tickets not receive the BTBAM ep in their email yet?

Haven't gotten mine either