Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229107 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #1155 on: September 03, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
Listened to about 3 minutes of that Stormbending song.

This might end up being my favorite Dev album since that four album run (Ki, Addicted etc.). So far it sounds very classic Dev with much better production.

Really excited for the rest of it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1156 on: September 03, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »
Just listened to the "Bonus" album. I'll put it this way. Disc 1 from here on out in my opinion is the bonus album and Disc 2 is the main album.

How is the production? All I have seen in the tracklist is that the bonus disc is Demos. Are they recorded properly?

I've only listened to the bonus disc 2 times so here's my initial thoughts.
Gump sounds like it was recorded with the rest of the main album so that has similar production(in other words, pretty great). I could be wrong but I believe the rest are just demos using drum machines. This is Dev though, so the production is still great even for demos.
Victim is a redo of the song from Physicist. It's an improvement from Physicist's shit production but the song is still just OK.
Into the Sun and Loud were both featured in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vLMBmdQNk
Loud and Gump would fit in nicely in the main album, the others are pretty hit or miss.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1157 on: September 03, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
Celestial Signals is absolutely terrific. That chorus is huge.  :hefdaddy

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1158 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »
anybody wanna fill me in on where I can hear this bonus disk?    :-X

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1159 on: September 03, 2016, 10:45:36 PM »

Lots of places. On September 9th.  :police:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1160 on: September 04, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »

I was weak and got it now (although I have pre-ordered it) because I'll be out of town so I won't be able to get it on my ipod to listen to. The reason I'm out of town is I'll be at the DTP show that day. So that's the lame not good enough reasoning for me.

The production sounds like a proper album. While I do like the main disc. I wish he would have stopped on the production of the other songs in the same place he did the "demos". They sound like a 4 piece band not the huge epic layeredness of the main disc, Epicloud, Sky Blue, etc. It the same reason I prefer the bonus disc on Epiclouder. Again I like both but prefer the more stripped down stuff.

My standout tracks were Gump, Celestial Signs, Support The Cause. My favorites being TIIIIIIIIIME OVERLOAD, Lexus, and very fun Canucklehead.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1161 on: September 04, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
The DTP are releasing tour videos, one for each show. Here's the second one, just got uploaded on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlD5H91hkno .

At 3:30, you can see some of the tour shirts they have. Love the one with 'Lower mid tier prog metal' on the back  :rollin

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1162 on: September 04, 2016, 09:07:29 PM »

I was weak and got it now (although I have pre-ordered it) because I'll be out of town so I won't be able to get it on my ipod to listen to. The reason I'm out of town is I'll be at the DTP show that day. So that's the lame not good enough reasoning for me.

The production sounds like a proper album. While I do like the main disc. I wish he would have stopped on the production of the other songs in the same place he did the "demos". They sound like a 4 piece band not the huge epic layeredness of the main disc, Epicloud, Sky Blue, etc. It the same reason I prefer the bonus disc on Epiclouder. Again I like both but prefer the more stripped down stuff.

My standout tracks were Gump, Celestial Signs, Support The Cause. My favorites being TIIIIIIIIIME OVERLOAD, Lexus, and very fun Canucklehead.

:lol  I'm just salty because I was so stoked on getting to download this album from iTunes at 11 PM on my birthday and ending my day with a full sit-down listen of Transendence, buuuuutttttt then it got delayed a week...  :censored :censored :censored

I'm going to end up owning like 4 versions of this album anyway seeing as how I'm getting it off iTunes, plus the copy that's being shipped to me with my VIP tour package, and even then I wanted to own physical copies of the Deluxe and vinyl versions. I can cheat if I want to, dammit.  :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1163 on: September 04, 2016, 09:15:41 PM »
So the VIP tour CD is definitely the standard edition?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1164 on: September 04, 2016, 10:25:19 PM »
So the VIP tour CD is definitely the standard edition?

Tbh, I don't really know. But's that's what I'm expecting.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1165 on: September 05, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »

:lol  I'm just salty because I was so stoked on getting to download this album from iTunes at 11 PM on my birthday and ending my day with a full sit-down listen of Transendence, buuuuutttttt then it got delayed a week...  :censored :censored :censored

I'm going to end up owning like 4 versions of this album anyway seeing as how I'm getting it off iTunes, plus the copy that's being shipped to me with my VIP tour package, and even then I wanted to own physical copies of the Deluxe and vinyl versions. I can cheat if I want to, dammit.  :biggrin:
So it was supposed to be released 9/2?! That's what i thought. Got excited the morning of and saw it said released 9/9 and was confused.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: September 05, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »
So I bought my tickets for the show in Maryland next week on the 13th. I just decided to today to buy the VIP package instead.
Unfortunately I can't get a refund for the 2 tickets I already bought, so I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in buying them?

PM me if you're interested or have any questions

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1167 on: September 05, 2016, 08:36:37 PM »
So it was supposed to be released 9/2?! That's what i thought. Got excited the morning of and saw it said released 9/9 and was confused.

eeeeyyuuppp.

Gump is an awesome track btw. Really heavy track. Almost a Dio vibe in the second verse kinda? Idk, I can just picture Ronnie James shouting those words and pointing to the listener for some reason.  :metal Totally "main disc" worthy, but I can understand why it was cut. It doesnt really fit on the album anywhere without messing with the flow.  Loud is okay, typical Dev campfire song. Other songs range from weird to very weird for me, lol. Kinda like listening to Infinity.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: September 06, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
Episdoe Five of the Documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o5GHljtucI

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1169 on: September 06, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBFhgNa9NoY

Such a shame that this version didn't go as the official version. :/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1170 on: September 06, 2016, 08:47:56 PM »
Higher is quite the beastly tune.  :metal

Can't wait for the official release so I can get the bonus disc, too. :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »
I checked out his setlist. Not bad but I'm hoping they swap a few songs for Saturday to make use of anneke with him.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1172 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
I'm hoping for a similar setlist for the European tour. I would love to see By Your Command live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1173 on: September 06, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »
He needs to chuck from the live sets any and all songs from Dark Matters.  He has way too many great songs to waste two spots on songs from that record.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1174 on: September 06, 2016, 10:33:11 PM »
He needs to chuck from the live sets any and all songs from Dark Matters.  He has way too many great songs to waste two spots on songs from that record.

I think Ziltoid Goes Home can stay, it probably makes for a good live performance. March of the Poozers fucking sucks though, I dont understand why Devin likes it so much as opposed to a song like War Princess or Deathray instead.

When BTBAM joins the tour they better start pulling Tommy on stage and add Planet of the Apes to the set or so help me.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1175 on: September 06, 2016, 10:45:09 PM »
I would be so excited if he did Planet of the Apes. Love that song.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: September 07, 2016, 06:28:31 AM »

I think Ziltoid Goes Home can stay, it probably makes for a good live performance. March of the Poozers fucking sucks though, I dont understand why Devin likes it so much as opposed to a song like War Princess or Deathray instead.

When BTBAM joins the tour they better start pulling Tommy on stage and add Planet of the Apes to the set or so help me.

I saw Poozers and I respectfully disagree. That song completely destroys and the crowd gets beyond nuts. That's probably why he kept it in the set. ZGH overstays its welcome very quickly in comparison. I agree about "Deathray" but it'd be a lot better if Dev did the actual Ziltoid parts live instead of using the samples.

Personally, I'm missing the Addicted stuff the most. This is a great time to use "Awake" (with the end modified, obviously) as the opener it was meant to be!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: September 07, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
Looking at the new setlist, there's 5 repeats from the last time I saw him back in December 2014.
The set last time was:

Regulator
Rejoice
Midnight Sun
War
A New Reign

March of the Poozers
Ziltoidian Empire
Bad Devil
Ziltoid Goes Home
Grace
Kingdom

I'm seeing him again next week and I'd like to see a totally different set aside from staples like Kingdom and Grace, but I don't mind hearingPoozers and ZGH again because they are really fun songs in a live setting. I'd prefer Bad Devil and War, but hey, any Dev is good Dev.

I could go without seeing Rejoice live again though. It was cool the first time but it's not even the best song from Sky Blue and the majority of that album hasn't been played live. I'd take Universal Flame, Silent Militia, the title track, or Before We Die over Rejoice any day.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1178 on: September 07, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »

I saw Poozers and I respectfully disagree. That song completely destroys and the crowd gets beyond nuts. That's probably why he kept it in the set. ZGH overstays its welcome very quickly in comparison. I agree about "Deathray" but it'd be a lot better if Dev did the actual Ziltoid parts live instead of using the samples.

Personally, I'm missing the Addicted stuff the most. This is a great time to use "Awake" (with the end modified, obviously) as the opener it was meant to be!

The Ziltoid part in Deathray is meant for the audience to sing.

I would've preferred that setlist over the one I got, it's the same as Metropolaris'.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1179 on: September 07, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »
Rejoice was fucking terrible live. Don't know why he insists on playing it. It's like the weakest song off Sky Blue anyway.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1180 on: September 07, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »
Can we chill with the setlist spoilers, please? Small text exists for a reason.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
Can we chill with the setlist spoilers, please? Small text exists for a reason.

I dont think that is a standard for most non DT bands on this forum although I traditionally support the idea, just saying since you might not get your wish.  In the past I avoided band threads that I didn't want to be spoiled by their setlists.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1182 on: September 08, 2016, 06:24:28 AM »
Can't believe I have managed to resist listening to the new album in any form. CANNOT WAIT to blast this shit tomorrow (along with the new Dear  Hunter of course). I pre-ordered with Music Glue (I think) and I'm not actually sure I get an mp3 download or if it's just the physical album I get? I don't think I will be able to wait until the actual album is delivered as it will likely be late.

I can't find any confirmation email from them. Anyone pre-ordered from them before? Any idea if I'll get an mp3 download at midnight American time?

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1183 on: September 08, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
I received my copy in the mail on Tuesday, and now I've finally listened to it a few times.

Seems like it's better than Blue Sky, but not as good as Addicted or Epicloud.

And the bonus disc has a bunch of great tunes.  I still think Failure is the best track overall.  Higher is like DT trying to do DT.  That is, Devin doing a Dream Theater impression.  Still can't decide what I think of it, even though it has some great parts to it.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1184 on: September 08, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
For me Higher is definitely the low point on the album, and unfortunately, the longest track.

The 5 minute silence and mumbo jumbo on From the Heart and Transdermal Celebratrion would leave 10 minutes free to put some songs...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: September 08, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
Higher starts poorly but ends awesomely

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: September 08, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »
I love all of "Higher" and "From the Heart," but I agree the end of "Transdermal" should at least be its own track, if not wholly excised from the album. It's there for a reason, I guess. Whatever that is.

I understand not liking the end of FTH if you don't love Ghost and Casualties, though. If you do, it's pretty amazing to hear a Ghost-style jam on an otherwise 'typical' (big epic metal) DTP album.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1187 on: September 08, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
I think the ending of From The Heart segues nicely into the intro of Transdermal Celebration. It also probably could have transitioned into "Loud" also.

The ending of Transdermal Celebration is pretty much pointless but eh.  It doesnt really hurt the rest of the album. Alien ends with over 11 minutes of static white noise but the 40 something minutes that came before it are still perfect.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1188 on: September 09, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »
Listening to the album for the first time now... Couple tracks in and loving what I am hearing so far...

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1189 on: September 09, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
So what songs do you guys would like to see live? I am tired of him playing the same songs over and over again, like Grace, Kingdom, Ih-Ah, Rejoice, March of the Poozers, Truth, Christeen, War, Life, etc.

Some songs that I would love to see:

Funeral and Bastard (He played Funeral only once and Bastard a few times, but only quite recently)
The Death of Music (Also only quite recently)
Bad Devil
Noisy Pink Bubbles
Canada, Down and Under, The Fluker, Nobody's here, Tiny Tears, Stagnant (Yea, pretty much the whole side 2 of Terria)
Depth Charge, Random Analysis, Away, Sunday Afternoon, Slow Me Down
Let It Roll, Hypergeek, Triumph, Gaia
Resolve!, The Way Home!, Awake!!
Coast, Gato, Praise the Lowered, The Mighty Masturbator, Deconstruction
Liberation, Happy Birthday, Quietus, The Mind Wasp
Rain City, Before We Die

So many songs he's never played live or almost never played live.