General > General Music Discussion

Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts

(1/534) > >>

Nick:
Old one here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31949.0

Scorpion:
FIRST

I still have to get Z2.

Is it extremely awesome, or only awesome?

hefdaddy42:
Dammit Nick

TioJorge:
Z2 is amazingly extremely awesome.

On that note, after sufficient listens to all the albums, this may not be my absolute favorite DT album, but it's damn close; especially if you're technical about it and consider Z2 as a whole.

One thing I couldn't hear on previous mixes of the album as opposed to the final is the great line "I have a fight and I have a right of way" in the final chorus of Sky Blue. It's brief and the line is a bit buried, but it's great and gives me the bumps of geese every time. Anyone catch that Silent Militia was inspired by Will.i.am? I thought that was pretty interesting. This is definitely the coolest and most informative lyric booklet I've seen. I really like that they took the time to document and cite every single thing they could. Plus...dat artwork. So nice.

I'm also finally supportive of Devy using the Anneke-voiced-chorus in Fallout. I think it's a much more balanced, nuanced version; the bridge (I think that's what it's called? The lines starting with "You're on your own") pops out a lot more and hits even harder than the Devy-centric version. I feel like I know why he changed it now; all that said, I would absolutely love a better mixed version with Devy on the chorus. Then again I'm not complaining at all, it's cool we have it in some form and at the end of the day it's up to the man on what to use.

I'm sad that I know we probably won't be getting much from him and the gang for quite some time after this, but it is by far and away, ten fold over deserved. I'm sure he's ready to rest.

Buddyhunter1:
I just got Z2 today, and listened to Sky Blue and Dark Matters.

While it's too soon to give a complete opinion, I loved both of them. Sky Blue is definitely one of Devin's more emotional-sounding albums... certain parts of the album like the title track, Before We Die and the two ballads sure gave me a case of the feels.

Dark Matters was much better than I thought it would be. The plot and dialogue is absolutely ridiculous, but damn it, I just had a stupid grin on my face throughout the whole thing. The last part of the album from Earth onwards didn't make as much of an impact on me, but I probably just need to give it some more listens, including the dialogue-less version, which I haven't tried yet.

Devin's one of the few musicians I know who can cram in so much of both quality and quantity, and I think Z2 is the perfect example of that. He sure as hell deserves that break.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version