Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 446585 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3710 on: November 30, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »
Just as a side note (I haven't read the whole thread), even though Vector was short, I thought it was a very good album.  Also, the news that they might put out a new record next year is really good news!

Haken have become one of my favorite bands and my second favorite progressive band next to DT.

A new album soon would be great.  It feels like they lost a little bit of their forward momentum with Vector, which I thought was good but not great, and a new kick ass album would go a long way into getting that trajectory going the right away again, IMO.

Exactly the way I feel.  They may have the greatest "starting four" of any band I've ever heard....although Pain of Salvation is really close.   But Vector was only "really good", which speaks volumes to the quality of the first four.   Vector would be the crown jewel of almost any other band.  But for Haken, it's an "also ran".     I really hope they take a hard left turn on their next one and throw some shocking things at me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3711 on: December 28, 2019, 11:03:05 AM »
BUMP!

The Haken vs QR thread got me thinking that I was on such a Haken frenzy for such a long time, that I took quite a long break from listening to them at all, and now I'm kinda wanting to bust out there stuff again. 

I was wondering how the Live album has aged for most people?    I love the medley, and it has its moments, but I have to say that I was just a tad underwhelmed.  I was hoping for a mind blowing "band on fire at their creative peak" face melting experience, but it didn't quite live up to that.   

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3712 on: December 28, 2019, 11:32:53 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Haken's music (in case anyone didn't know), but generally I find their live show to be *somewhat* stale and predictable, and I think their use of a click shines through in a live performance a bit too much as they often seem to sync more to that than each other. Pair that with some low quality video (for a live video) and not a lot of cameras and I still love listening to the live album, but don't have much desire to ever watch it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3713 on: December 28, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »
(posted in the wrong thread, sorry, nevermind)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3714 on: December 28, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
I haven't watched in a while, but, like Nick, the not-great video quality of the DVD took away from it a little bit, although I get they don't have big bucks to make a pristine one yet.  Was still cool to get on a live video all of those songs (counting the extras).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: December 28, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »
I was underwhelmed with the DVD for the exact reasons stated but I haven't really listened to the CDs much to comment more. I think I just watched the DVD twice and shelved it but kind of forgot it came with CDs. I dont recall the audio being poor so it's probably a much better listen than watch.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3716 on: December 28, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
Listened to Affinity for the first. Kind of a different vibe, but I love it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3717 on: December 28, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
Listened to Affinity for the first. Kind of a different vibe, but I love it.

That one was the very definition of "grower not a shower".    I was really luke warm on it at first, but now I think it's pure genius.   The ending of Bound By Gravity is one of those rare moments of musical perfection.   

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3718 on: December 28, 2019, 07:20:01 PM »
Honestly, Vector killed my love for Haken :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3719 on: December 28, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »

I think that's a bit much.   But I get it.   I guess I just think of it this way.   No band can keep pumping out *PERFECT* albums over and over again.   Vector was the first Haken album that didn't feel "fresh".   Maybe they tried to put it out too quickly after the Affinity Tour and Live album.   I'm sure they were trying to keep the momentum going, but it was bound to hit a creative speed bump sooner or later. 

I still think that if they take a step back and really challenge themselves creatively with this next one, they can bounce back.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3720 on: December 28, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »

That's hard to believe.   I love when a band doesn't sit still. Home run or a swing and a miss I love a band that deviates. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3721 on: December 28, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »

That's hard to believe.   I love when a band doesn't sit still. Home run or a swing and a miss I love a band that deviates.

Well....speaking only for myself...my problem with Vector is that it DID feel like "sitting still".    Every other album felt completely unique.   Vector felt like retreads of everything Haken has done up to this point.   

Remember when a really good TV show would give the staff a week off and they would do a "flashback" episode?   Vector felt like that. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3722 on: December 28, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »
My issue is that Aquarius was very good, Visions was better and The Mountain was even better than that. Restoration and Affinity already had a few tracks I didn't care about and Vector has some really good moments, but the album isn't consistent at all. I seem to dislike the direction the've been taking since Affinity (or even Restoration) and Vector solidified that opinion for me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3723 on: December 28, 2019, 09:13:48 PM »
A change can be sonically and that's what Vector is.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3724 on: December 29, 2019, 05:16:44 AM »

I don't like the darker/depressing direccion they are taking with their music.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3725 on: December 29, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »

I don't like the darker/depressing direccion they are taking with their music.

I hadn't thought about it before, but if there is a change at all with Vector, this is it.   The Mountain was an album that *literally* lifted me out of one of the darkest periods of my life when I first heard it.   Maybe one of two times in all my 50 years when I was seriously contemplating ending it all.   And The Mountain was just all about overcoming obstacles.   One of the most positive prog albums I have ever heard.     Affinity gets a bit dark with The Architect, but most of it is still very upbuilding and positive.  1985 and Bound By Gravity both make me feel extremely positive and happy.   

Vector is extremely dark throughout.   And honestly, if we look back at Haken's catalog, Visions is a fairly dark subject matter, but it's juxtaposed with some surprisingly joyful and happy musical moments...the short "video game" homage is a perfect example (I forget which song that appears in) but then Deathless is a pretty dark and somber tune (but still one of their best).    But ya, Vector hasn't given me a single uplifting moment that I can recall.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3726 on: December 29, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
I thought Vector was overall fairly well received. My only problem is that it's short and it ends with the two worse songs from the album so it feels even shorter of awesome songs. Still a good album though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3727 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
Good album, yes, and I think most liked it based on what I have seen, but there seemed to be a lack of excitement about the album in general.  Looking at a variety of sites, its rating is just a shade or two below the ones of the first four albums, but what is glaring is that the number of actual ratings/reviews, which was down pretty significantly from the prior records, and when fans do not take the time to rate or review an album (relative to prior records), that usually tells me that fans didn't love it or dislike it enough to spend the time to rate and/or review it. 

Online DTA

« Reply #3728 on: December 29, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »
I think that's definitely due to the length and lack of true standout songs. It feels more like an EP and there's no song on there that feels like a 1985 or a Cockroach King (or a Visions or Celestial Elixir, etc). I think if the album would've had an epic length track or some bigger songs in general and ended on a better note than A Cell Divides, then it would've been ranked at least as high as the ones before it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3729 on: December 29, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
My only problem is that it's short and it ends with the two worse songs from the album so it feels even shorter of awesome songs.

Yea, this too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3730 on: December 29, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »
I actually really enjoy Vector.

A Cell Divides is a great closer. I like that song a lot, its up there with Bound By Gravity for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3731 on: December 31, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »
Alright so I decided to take the plunge and listen to Haken. I just finished a listen through The Mountain and I don't really get it. The musicianship is great, vocals are good and there are snippets of greatness through out but does every song have to take a detour to a Dance of Eternity style instrumental section? I guess it might not be for me but are there some other albums I should check out?

Online DTA

« Reply #3732 on: December 31, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
Alright so I decided to take the plunge and listen to Haken. I just finished a listen through The Mountain and I don't really get it. The musicianship is great, vocals are good and there are snippets of greatness through out but does every song have to take a detour to a Dance of Eternity style instrumental section? I guess it might not be for me but are there some other albums I should check out?

I think The Mountain was probably the majority of Haken fans' introduction to the band so I'm not sure you'd like anything else if you didn't like that one. They definitely detour into crazy instrumental parts regularly but I never find them to be jarring to the point of feeling unnecessary.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3733 on: December 31, 2019, 08:35:43 AM »
Haken the League starts now! Go vote for your favorite songs!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54657.0

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3734 on: December 31, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »

Interesting take.  I never got that kind of impression when first hearing their music.  I like the fact that their instrumental sections are often "full band solo" sections, rather than one instrument dominating or trading off from one to the other.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3735 on: December 31, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »

I think the Mountain is very good, and very proggy.  But for me, it's not my favorite of theirs and I'm a minority person on this opinion, but I'd say check out Visions.  You'll still have your instrumental sections, I mean it's part of who they are, but I find that album to be much easier to digest as it's a bit more standard prog metal.

and if that's not your cup of tea, I'm afraid Haken are likely not for you.  Having said that, it took me a bunch of listens to really like Haken myself.  I was introduced with Affinity as that was their newest when I first saw them live.  I'd say I even like that one more than The Mountain as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3736 on: December 31, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »
I'll give Visions a shot. I actually gave the mountain a spin again and I did enjoy it more. I've taken to the later half of the album at lot more than the first half.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3737 on: December 31, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I find the 1st 2 albums hit or miss and the last 3 albums & EP amazing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3738 on: December 31, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
Seriously, anyone, whenever you decide to listen to a band for the first time, give it a couple of goes before you even declare that you've done so. Saves U-turns like this, which happen frequently amongst many people.

I just finished a listen through The Mountain and I don't really get it.

I actually gave the mountain a spin again and I did enjoy it more. I've taken to the later half of the album at lot more than the first half.

It is impossible for anyone to form a solid opinion on just one listen. I have frequently found albums a bit meh on first listen, only for that to change as I get used to the music.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3739 on: December 31, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »
I'll give Visions a shot. I actually gave the mountain a spin again and I did enjoy it more. I've taken to the later half of the album at lot more than the first half.

I hear a HUGE SFAM influence/homage with Visions. In a good way.

The Mind’s Eye/Portals/Shapeshifter medley is PERFECTION!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3740 on: December 31, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I find the 1st 2 albums hit or miss and the last 3 albums & EP amazing.

:eek :eek

What are the misses on the first album?

I will answer that for you: there are none.  :biggrin:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3741 on: December 31, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
Harsh vocals in Streams are a pretty gigantic miss.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3742 on: December 31, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
 :lol

It just doesn't click with me.  🤷‍♂️

Offline krands85

« Reply #3743 on: December 31, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »
Seriously, anyone, whenever you decide to listen to a band for the first time, give it a couple of goes before you even declare that you've done so. Saves U-turns like this, which happen frequently amongst many people.

I just finished a listen through The Mountain and I don't really get it.

I actually gave the mountain a spin again and I did enjoy it more. I've taken to the later half of the album at lot more than the first half.

It is impossible for anyone to form a solid opinion on just one listen. I have frequently found albums a bit meh on first listen, only for that to change as I get used to the music.
:tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3744 on: December 31, 2019, 04:29:35 PM »

I think the Mountain is very good, and very proggy.  But for me, it's not my favorite of theirs and I'm a minority person on this opinion, but I'd say check out Visions.  You'll still have your instrumental sections, I mean it's part of who they are, but I find that album to be much easier to digest as it's a bit more standard prog metal.

Bolded the key part. I share this opinion. For me, The Mountain is my least favorite album of theirs and Visions is my favorite, without question.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history