Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 441636 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3535 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
For those who already saw them on this tour (and SPOILERS about the setlist, although I think they will be quite obvious):
Which of the new songs work best for you guys during a live concert? I think, A Cell Divides has really grown on me. I always thought the song was awesome, but it worked even better in a live setting. My personal favourite was Nil By Mouth though!! This song kicked ass. So much that people behind us were starting a mosh pit. I have nothing against mosh pits since they are mostly peaceful, but I don't always want to take part in them. So it was good we stood in the very first row. But during the whole tune, I was like in a trance, it was absolutely mindblowing.

I still thought the latter was better than the studio version, but still was mostly bored. The former was absolutely glorious though, with the audience singing the chorus. I'm glad they've included it into the set in time for me to see it.

I thought the best one was Puzzle Box, it's such a perfect follow-up for the opener. The moment the intro riff kicked in I was in heaven.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3536 on: March 05, 2019, 09:59:27 AM »
For those who already saw them on this tour (and SPOILERS about the setlist, although I think they will be quite obvious):
Which of the new songs work best for you guys during a live concert? I think, A Cell Divides has really grown on me. I always thought the song was awesome, but it worked even better in a live setting. My personal favourite was Nil By Mouth though!! This song kicked ass. So much that people behind us were starting a mosh pit. I have nothing against mosh pits since they are mostly peaceful, but I don't always want to take part in them. So it was good we stood in the very first row. But during the whole tune, I was like in a trance, it was absolutely mindblowing.

A Cell Divides wasn't in the set when I saw them, I'd say Nil By Mouth was much better live compared to the album, there was a good energy in that song that definitely gets the crowd pumped up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3537 on: March 05, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
I wouldn't have minded A Cell Divides getting played at our show here back in November, as I could have used a bathroom break.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3538 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
When I was complimenting them on the inclusion of A Cell Divides in the set, I had a thought like "shit, someone at DTF really hated this song, what if their show is still coming". :lol Glad it worked out for you Kev.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3539 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
My favourite was Crystallised. The production on the studio release is somewhat underwhelming IMO, but this live version kicked ass.

EDIT: autocomplete
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:08:49 PM by me7 »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3540 on: March 05, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »
My favourite was Crystallised. The production on the studio release is somewhat underwhelming IMO, this live version locked ass.

And they totally nailed the Acapella part!!! Sorry if all this tiny writing is getting ridiculous, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone :D

Hey, did anyone see the awesome *very* last encore, too? I noticed they didn't play it everywhere. Fuckin AFRICA hell yeah
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3541 on: March 05, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »
I really love A Cell Divides, I would really like it if it were on the setlist, although every song in the setlist was great for me. So, no complains!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3542 on: March 05, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
When I was complimenting them on the inclusion of A Cell Divides in the set, I had a thought like "shit, someone at DTF really hated this song, what if their show is still coming". :lol Glad it worked out for you Kev.

I don't hate the song, so much as I dislike the chorus a lot.  The rest of the song doesn't bother me, but I will never get past that "nails on a chalkboard" chorus.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3543 on: March 06, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »
Yep, that chorus is attrocious.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3544 on: March 06, 2019, 02:05:26 AM »
I don't love the song either, I'd have no issue with it being added to the set though.  I like a good rotation of songs and the more the better.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3545 on: March 06, 2019, 07:13:03 AM »

It's funny how the same thing can be perceived in totally opposite ways. I really, really love that chorus! It's one of 2 or 3 things that stuck in my head after my first listen of the album.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3546 on: March 06, 2019, 07:31:27 AM »

It's funny how the same thing can be perceived in totally opposite ways. I really, really love that chorus! It's one of 2 or 3 things that stuck in my head after my first listen of the album.
Likewise. It's my favourite song on the album I think.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3547 on: March 09, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »
I heard Visions when it came out and I've heard The Mountain when it came out. Neither one of them prompted me for a second spin. But I'm hearing too much buzz about this band, any other album recommendation you guys think can get me hooked?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3548 on: March 09, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
I heard Visions when it came out and I've heard The Mountain when it came out. Neither one of them prompted me for a second spin. But I'm hearing too much buzz about this band, any other album recommendation you guys think can get me hooked?

If The Mountain didn't bring you back for a 2nd spin, then you just don't like this band. 

But I strongly suggest my "5 spin rule".   I never judge an album until I've spun it 5 times.   Some albums just have an adjustment phase.   Especially albums that throw a big curve ball from what you're used to.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3549 on: March 09, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »
Roger that.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3550 on: March 10, 2019, 05:37:47 AM »
Affinity is an interesting prog metal album, with some unusual influences. You could give it a spin to get a different take on Haken.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3551 on: March 10, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »

Likewise. It's my favourite song on the album I think.

It's one of my favorites on Vector too. Diego's part that starts at 3:00 is one of my favorite Haken moments on any album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3552 on: March 17, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
I think I am the only Haken regular listener whose favorite album is Visions.  I really loved that phase of the band's music.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: March 17, 2019, 08:06:42 AM »
I think I am the only Haken regular listener whose favorite album is Visions.  I really loved that phase of the band's music.

Nope, its just us two though

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3554 on: March 17, 2019, 08:49:44 AM »
I went though a spell where I thought Visions was their best, but it was fleeting.  I do love how the production and keyboard sounds give it kind of a gritty and dirty feel, and the title track and Deathless are undoubtedly two of their best songs.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3555 on: March 17, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
Portals and Deathless are undoubtedly two of their best songs.

Sure!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3556 on: March 17, 2019, 11:37:01 AM »

I rank The Mountain first, but Visions is a close second :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3557 on: March 17, 2019, 12:08:35 PM »

I, too, really love Visions, both the song and the album. I came in to the band around when The Mountain came out, but it didn't impress me the way Visions did, and I like it the most out of their first three albums. I think I like Affinity slightly more, but Visions is still really high up there for me, especially the title track.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3558 on: March 17, 2019, 02:57:55 PM »
Since I'm a newish fan of the band and having listened to all the records now quite a few times (though Visions and Aquarius still need more) I would rank them as such

1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Vector
4. Visions
5. Aquarius

All very good but prefer them in this order. For the Restoration EP, I really love Crystallised don't have that much of a connection to the other two.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3559 on: March 17, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »
Since I'm a newish fan of the band and having listened to all the records now quite a few times (though Visions and Aquarius still need more) I would rank them as such

1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Vector
4. Visions
5. Aquarius

All very good but prefer them in this order. For the Restoration EP, I really love Crystallised don't have that much of a connection to the other two.

That's my ranking too!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3560 on: March 17, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »

1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Vector
4. Visions
5. Aquarius

Oddly enough, if you switch 1 and 5, you get my ranking.  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3561 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
Let's do this:

1. The Mountain
2. Visions
3. Affinity
4. Vector
5. Aquarius
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3562 on: March 17, 2019, 11:54:22 PM »
I went though a spell where I thought Visions was their best, but it was fleeting.  I do love how the production and keyboard sounds give it kind of a gritty and dirty feel, and the title track and Deathless are undoubtedly two of their best songs.

For me, the run from Insomnia to Deathless is perfect. I still have a high regard for the epic Visions, but over the years, I got tired listening to it. It has the opposite flaw of Celestial Elixir. While Celestial Elixir's problem is that there is no proper climax or payoff that's worth the time listening to such long piece of music, Visions' problem is that it has so many climaxes.

On another note, I just like to say that I love Ray Hearne's drumming. It's a shame he's not talked about much as one of the top prog drummers of this generation. I guess what's lacking with him is that he does not yet have a signature sound, the way Mangini, Portnoy, Jarzombek, Donati, Minnemann is recognizable just by hearing how the drums are played. He's like the Alan White of prog metal.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:49:34 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3563 on: March 18, 2019, 01:12:30 AM »
1. The Mountain
2. Affinity
3. Aquarius
4. Vector
5. Visions
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3564 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
I think I've done this before, but it is pretty set in stone now:

1. The Mountain
2. Aquarius
3. Affinity
4. Visions
5. Vector

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3565 on: March 18, 2019, 09:13:54 AM »
1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Aquarius
4. Vector
5. Visions

Every album is very good though imo.

Also +1 for liking The Cell Divides chorus.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3566 on: March 18, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
Vector has solidified itself as my second favourite just slightly edging out Affinity (the latter is more varied but the former is more consistent IMO). I think Restoration has dropped a bit as well, I love the first two tracks, but it's mostly made up of Crystallised which is good but not one of my favourites.

1. The Mountain
2. Vector
3. Affinity
4. Visions
5. Restoration
6. Aquarius
7. Demo

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3567 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
Oh and also Saturday night's London gig was fantastic, the sound and performances were incredible from all three bands.

In terms of Haken's set, I loved the first hour as it was exciting to hear the Vector songs and they're really great live, and then FBTE and 1985 are among my favourite Haken songs. Bit less exciting after than, Architect is a lower-ranked song for me although some of it is amazing live, and Crystallised similarly has some great bits and pretty meh bits and I always find it slightly underwhelming live personally. And then we got treated to their cover of Africa with a few people from VOLA and Bent Knee (plus some crew) joining them. It was a very cool note to end the tour on.

Also, some of you have probably seen the Haken/Britney Spears mash up that was posted on Facebook a week or two ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZ7hie6Ng0

Well that's what Ross sang for the final verse in The Good Doctor on Saturday night. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3568 on: March 18, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
I have been binge-listening on Haken the past few days and I have got to say that Affinity is one of the most frustrating albums to listen to. It's brillian EVERY OTHER SONG, but it's also really underwhelming every other song.  :lol I actually decided to just create an affinity EP in my phone that consists of

Affinity.exe/Initiate
Lapse
Earthrise
The Endless Knot

I am thinking of just combining these songs to the ones I like in Vector as my playlist of this phase in Haken's sound.

Also, why does Haken think it a good idea to split Tracks 1 and 2 in these last 2 albums when they are obviously meant to go together? I don't get it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: March 18, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
Well that's what Ross sang for the final verse in The Good Doctor on Saturday night. :lol

I'm usually against filming with phones during gigs (occasional photo or two is fine by me), but I need to see the video of that. :lol

I really liked The Architect live, thought the song came across way better than the studio version. Crystallized was a bit of a letdown though, yeah.