Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437261 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Haken v. Restoration, like Baconoration
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »
Yes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
Only checking into the thread for asking, is it for real that they are touring with Next to None?

Only on US Tour dates, and with the exception of the RoSFest date.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2015, 01:26:12 AM »
Is having Visions as the favorite Haken album a minority position here? I have read the posts and most seem to like The Mountain. I love that album also but Visions has the same effect on me as Awake. It also has my favorite Haken piece: the three song run from The Mind's Eye to Portals to Shapeshifter. It also has Visions, my second favorite Haken piece.

I am not that happy with Restoration, as Crystallised did not really click with me. Especially when they channeled DT's The Great Debate.  :lol

Doing the mix CDs, am I the only one who noticed that the albums got louder after Visions? I had to adjust volume when a song from The Mountain or Restoration comes up after a song from Visions or Aquarius.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:32:10 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2015, 02:42:19 AM »
Indeed. Aquarius and Visions are dynamic sounding and well produced albums.

After that, the band got picked up by a bigger label and The Mountain and Restoration were brickwalled by "professionals" from the music industry.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2015, 02:57:25 AM »
Brickwalled? Wtf? The Moutain and Restoration sound fantastic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2015, 03:11:46 AM »
Yeah I don't hear any brickwalling in their albums at all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2015, 04:50:38 AM »
I don't think they are brickwalled, but they are definitely mixed louder. Atlas Stone is louder than Drowning in the Flood if you play them back to back.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2015, 06:29:06 AM »
I'm not saying The Mountain isn't louder, but let's be clear, it sounds really good. There are a myriad of other much much worse examples, that pretty much keep anything Haken has done out of the discussion on brickwalling.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
I don't think they are brickwalled, but they are definitely mixed louder. Atlas Stone is louder than Drowning in the Flood if you play them back to back.
Yeah but louder =/= worse or more compressed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
In the case of The Mountain, it is.
We're not talking about level shifts here. Aquarius and Visions are less loud on average (-7,6 and -6,3 dB ReplayGain respectively) AND still peak at the CD maximum. The Mountain has an average of -9,4dB.

I surprised at the reaction to my previous post. The excessive compression on The Mountain annoyed me since my first listen. It's especially annoying since I consider Visions to be one of the best sounding Metal albums of this decade, why did they need to take a turn for the worse in sound quality as their songwriting matured?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
I think The Mountain sounds better than Visions. Visions is a bit mushy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
why did they need to take a turn for the worse in sound quality as their songwriting matured?
They didn't. The Mountain sounds, in my opinion and the opinion of apparently a lot of others, vastly superior.

And quoting numbers doesn't mean anything on its own. There's a lot of discussion about that over on the DT-side, but it comes down to each person using their own ears. If you don't like how The Mountain sounds, that's totally cool, but a lot of people (including people who have complained about the over-compression of recent albums by DT, BG, etc) think it sounds great.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »
I agree with Rich. I think The Mountain was their best sounding album to date overall.

Offline me7

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »
There's a lot of discussion about that over on the DT-side, but it comes down to each person using their own ears.

Do you want to imply that I didn't LISTEN extensively to the three Haken albums? Look at my profile picture and personal text ;D

Using numbers like ReplayGain values to formulate what you hear in a short text is fine IMO. I only wrote them because they correlate with what I hear.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
There's a lot of discussion about that over on the DT-side, but it comes down to each person using their own ears.

Do you want to imply that I didn't LISTEN extensively to the three Haken albums? Look at my profile picture and personal text ;D
:lol No, I just meant that each person will use their own ears, so it's totally understandable that different people will have different views on how something sounds. It's only really the extreme cases (like Death Magnetic) where pretty much everyone agrees. Even then it's not everyone!

I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
The Mountain is louder, but there is nothing wrong with the sound quality.  It sounds incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
The Mountain is modern metal production done right. It's so spacious and dynamic. It kinda reminds me of Terria by Devin Townsend or even Octavarium to some degree but even better sonically. I don't understand why that production style isn't the norm for modern metal.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
The Mountain is modern metal production done right. It's so spacious and dynamic.

I was considering saying something like this earlier, so thank you for doing it instead. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put The Mountain in the category of best sounding albums I've heard, but it is a great production job that, as you mentioned, keeps up with the times and still sounds very good.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
i hated how visions sounded, it was a decent part of why i didn't like it as much as Aquarius or The Mountain, I have no complaints about the production on the other two though. Visions just sounds really... stiff.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
The Mountain is modern metal production done right. It's so spacious and dynamic.

I was considering saying something like this earlier, so thank you for doing it instead. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put The Mountain in the category of best sounding albums I've heard, but it is a great production job that, as you mentioned, keeps up with the times and still sounds very good.
I'd place The Mountain as one of the best sounding Metal records in the last 15 years. Only other albums I can think of that would come close are Six Degrees or maybe something by Opeth or BTBAM.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
I am not that happy with Restoration, as Crystallised did not really click with me. Especially when they channeled DT's The Great Debate.  :lol

And what part is that, exactly?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2015, 10:00:53 PM »
Starting 4:08 instrumentals going to these lyrics:

"Passages of time
Buried in the chaos of my mind
Chronicles of life
Concealing a truth I left behind

Passages of time
Buried in the chaos of my mind
Chronicles of life
Concealing a truth I can't deny"

To my ears, it's like a marriage between the stanza of Great Debate and the portion of the Sacrificed Sons instrumental that references Octavarium.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »
Funny...  I always hear the exact chord progression of "Beyond This Life" in the Visions album somewhere, but the song slips my mind at the moment.

I know the section you're talking about in Crystallized and I still don't hear it.    But BTL in Visions I definitely hear.   I hear it every time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »
Funny...  I always hear the exact chord progression of "Beyond This Life" in the Visions album somewhere, but the song slips my mind at the moment.

I know the section you're talking about in Crystallized and I still don't hear it.    But BTL in Visions I definitely hear.   I hear it every time.

Hahaha. I have not heard BTL in the Visions album. I have heard TMOLS, though. The acoustic guitar portion leading to the vocals has some similarities to the acoustic guitar of Nocturnal Conspiracy.

Anyway,

https://youtu.be/4z6vpiXQJNA?t=2m52s

plus

https://youtu.be/3nBpLzNwkZw?t=5m21s

equals

https://youtu.be/Zk9Wk96yzBY?t=4m10s

Of course, I am just having fun with this.  :rollin

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »

Shapeshifter, 28 seconds in. I feel like they had no intention of being subtle with that nod to DT. It's like they actively wanted fans to think of DT with that little passage.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »

Shapeshifter, 28 seconds in. I feel like they had no intention of being subtle with that nod to DT. It's like they actively wanted fans to think of DT with that little passage.

Is that it? That's the circus-y portion right? I don't really hear the BTL chord progression there. I think the portion jammindude is referring to is the chord progression in the instrumental of Visions, around 7:05.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »
Well, it's not just "the circusy part"...it's that whole chord progression that gets used on the verses...even though it starts circusy...

The first time I heard it, and every time I hear it, my mind *immediately* heard the phrase, "what we have been is whaaaaaat we aaaaaaarrreee".   That chord progression was so imbedded in my brain that the reaction was automatic.   

I think that gets repeated elsewhere on the album as well.   Possibly Premonition?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2015, 01:31:18 AM »
Oh, I get it now.  :tup I thought you were referring to the chord progression at the start of BTL.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2015, 03:31:09 AM »
I usually don't pay attention to sound quality, unless it's really bad. So with the Mountain, while i does sound great, I didn't really think about it, and just enjoyed the music. But on Restoration, it really stuck out to me as my favorite sounding Haken release. Everything on there just sounds awesome.

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2015, 05:43:14 AM »
Interesting that some of you are actively reminded of DT songs while listening to Haken material. To me there's always been an obvious similarity, but until now hadn't really thought any particular section/song sounded like a specific DT section/song.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2015, 05:52:51 AM »
Although I had never noticed it previously, I can definitely hear the similarity now in Shapeshifter.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2015, 06:04:05 AM »
Although I had never noticed it previously, I can definitely hear the similarity now in Shapeshifter.
Same here. Nice spot!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »
...and for the record.   I never viewed it as a bad thing.   The difference between "homage" and "rip off" to me is a matter of subtlety (you get a bit more leeway if you're doing it to yourself like The Kinks did).  In this case, it's only a few notes, and not the entire song or anything.   Also, it seemed fitting that since you are also making an album with similar themes (re-incarnation and a murder mystery), it seemed a nice way to "tip your hat" to something that was obviously immensely influential...whether it was a conscious addition or not. 

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
I've just noticed the analogy: Visions which talks about time travel, murders and stuff like that (Metropolis Part 2) is also the most DT-sounding record of the three, neat.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
I finally get to see Haken at RoSfest this May with Nick and DT. DTVT. :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC