Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437308 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Haken v. Restoration, like Baconoration
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
I remember a picture on their facebook showing the meter changes to a song from Visions with one bar in 31/32. Has anyone found where that measure is yet?  ;D
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
It would be extremely difficult to notice a bar like that. Honestly, I don't see the point if that's actually somewhere in there.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2015, 02:40:19 AM »
I don't either.

They are just fucking with people now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2015, 03:42:47 AM »
I hate them because of this.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2015, 04:58:44 AM »
I can't remember if I've asked this before or not, but I would like if someone with a working knowledge of music theory could breakdown what the heck is happening in the intrumental break of Deathless.

The base of the song is in standard 4/4, I understand that.    But then the first part of the instrumental passage starts in 16th notes playing in a pattern of 1,2,3, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4.   At least, that's the way I hear it.   I mean....it doesn't sound like a standard beat....  is that then 12/16?  Or are they switching between 5/16 and 7/16?    Also, what is that back rhythm that the bass and keyboards start playing when the guitar comes back in with the main 4/4 riff?   It's just freaking SICK when they do it, but I get lost.
Yea to me that sounds correct. 12/16 is the meter and the guitar, bass distribute/play in 1,2,3, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4. You can count the 6:37 as 6/8 but I think they still do 12/16 but with a triple feel. In the end though, who knows.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2015, 05:06:45 AM »
I'm absolutely loving kicking this subject around.   I've turned this question in to their Facebook PM....I'll see if I get a response on that and/or the 31/32 question.    :nerd
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
Holy crap!   And now another DT fan from FB (not sure if he hangs around here or not....I don't always match up real names with DTF names) has pointed out that there's a shift at the 5:09 mark.   Starting there, the count is 1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3   The last "4 count" is dropped off the cycle.  So it becomes a 5/16, 7/16, 5/16, 6/16 shift.    Am I doing that right? 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
HAKEN US TOUR DATES

https://hakenmusic.com/blog/post/north-american-tour-dates-2015-announced

I don't care what I have planned for that Sunday in Chicago. It's not as important.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
It sucks that they overlapped the Philly show with RoSfest, as I will have to see them in NYC instead. Hate going to NYC when Philly is an option. Still, I'll have the opportunity to see them twice, and won't pass that up.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Anyone know anything about Bull Shooters Saloon?   I mean, from the name, I'm picturing Bob's Country Bunker from The Blues Brothers movie.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2015, 02:13:01 AM »
Awesome, great to see them get a US tour at last! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2015, 05:33:18 AM »
Anyone know anything about Bull Shooters Saloon?   I mean, from the name, I'm picturing Bob's Country Bunker from The Blues Brothers movie.

It be something special to hear them play rawhide all night.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »

:metal

BTW, a date in Virginia?  That MAY just be doable!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:32 AM »

If any band could pull that off it would damn sure be Haken :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
yeah, but it would be all circusy
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Newmz

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »
I'll be going to the NYC show! So excited!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
yeah, but it would be all circusy

Southerners like that sort of thing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »
I was considering the Springfield date until I found out that the date was at the venue that was formerly known as Jaxx, which makes it highly likely that it's just as much a dump as Jaxx was. I went there two times-once to see Blind Guardian and Symphony X and once to see Opeth, Nevermore, and Into Eternity-and the place was just awful. I never got why so many bands made it their stop in Northern Virginia, and honestly I should've figured out that the Empire venue was just Jaxx renamed.

Sorry, Haken, but I'm not driving six hours round trip to see you there.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline dtrox08

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »
Any Canadian fans that would want to see them in Toronto on their tour should join this (sorry to post this here) https://www.facebook.com/groups/339261966282405/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved

On their NA tour they're making it to Montreal but not anywhere near here and theres a bunch of us that want to make it happen!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:56 PM »
I think every thread needs to be about Haken.   ;D

What a FREAKIN amazing band.   My son and I were just talking about them today, and commenting about how we just don't seem to get burnt out on them.  It's like, when you've heard some bands, you really like them for awhile but then you sortof get sick of listening to them and move on to something else.   I just keep listening to Haken and never getting bored. 

Even though The Mountain (for lyrical reasons) is still my favorite album with no contest (and the run of The Path-Falling Back to Earth may be the best opening 6 tracks of any album in history)....I think I am starting to get won over to Visions on a musical level.   The Mountain goes from "ungodly" at the beginning to "fantastic" at the end.   Visions is musically between the two...but for the entire album, rendering it more consistent.   And it's almost a shame that Aquarius gets lost in the shuffle.   Incredible album that just doesn't quite get to the otherworldly level of the other two. 

I can't remember the last time I loved a band like this.

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
Label me as one completely taken by their music...I may get hugely flamed for saying this here, but they were the first band to successfully dethrone DT as my favourite band (and DT held the title for a solid decade or so). What's even crazier is I've been able to take Skype lessons with Richard...that to me is just unreal; been easily wasting 15-20 minutes of every lesson asking him questions! lol

I'll be driving from Toronto to see them in Detroit, since Toronto was skipped over on the tour. Should be a crazy good time though, venue seems very small and intimate.

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
Any Canadian fans that would want to see them in Toronto on their tour should join this (sorry to post this here) https://www.facebook.com/groups/339261966282405/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved

On their NA tour they're making it to Montreal but not anywhere near here and theres a bunch of us that want to make it happen!

Or if Facebook isn't your cup of tea, go here -> https://www.change.org/p/haken-management-and-respective-promoter-add-a-toronto-stop-to-the-upcoming-tour?just_created=true

Worst case we don't make anything happen, but at least we're able to show the band there is SOME love from people in this area.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
Certainly can't hurt, so go for it! The band are definitely aware of having a decent following in various places, but they have very limited say on where they can play, it's down to the promoters really. If this north American tour is well attended, though, I imagine the next one will be more extensive. This is a sort of testing-the-waters tour as it's their first one!

What's even crazier is I've been able to take Skype lessons with Richard...that to me is just unreal; been easily wasting 15-20 minutes of every lesson asking him questions! lol
That's awesome! Hen is such a cool guy.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
Certainly can't hurt, so go for it! The band are definitely aware of having a decent following in various places, but they have very limited say on where they can play, it's down to the promoters really. If this north American tour is well attended, though, I imagine the next one will be more extensive. This is a sort of testing-the-waters tour as it's their first one!

What's even crazier is I've been able to take Skype lessons with Richard...that to me is just unreal; been easily wasting 15-20 minutes of every lesson asking him questions! lol
That's awesome! Hen is such a cool guy.

Indeed...my understanding is that the promoter is the same one who brought Leprous and Pain of Salvation to Toronto, to a quite disappointing turnout. I think said promoter is just not willing to put his dime on the line for another poor turnout. What I was trying to do is see if all the DT fans I run into at Massey Hall have heard of Haken and would be willing to go see them. Might not make a difference for this tour, but could make a difference on the next one, like you said.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »
I may get hugely flamed for saying this here, but they were the first band to successfully dethrone DT as my favourite band (and DT held the title for a solid decade or so).

Same for me. DT is probably, like, my 4th or 5th favorite band now, but Haken were the first to surpass them.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
Pain of Salvation and Oceansize both surpassed them before Haken for me  :lol
But yeah DT's never written an album as good as The Mountain so I guess Haken is better but it's close.
(It's not even close for the other two I listed before, though >.> )

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
Pain of Salvation and Oceansize both surpassed them before Haken for me  :lol
But yeah DT's never written an album as good as The Mountain so I guess Haken is better but it's close.
(It's not even close for the other two I listed before, though >.> )

Never heard of Oceansize but I've tried to listen to PoS and there's something about it that doesn't grip me in the same way as DT and Haken...can't really put my finger on it. I think the draw to Haken and DT for me are those cinematic/orchestral moments, where you could literally replace the instruments and vocals with a symphony and it would sound epic in its own right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »
PoS never did anything for me either.  The acronym is frighteningly accurate.

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »

*giggle*

Dunno that I'd go that far, but their stuff always sounded very generic/stock to me...unless I haven't listened to the right material, not sure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

*giggle*

Dunno that I'd go that far, but their stuff always sounded very generic/stock to me...unless I haven't listened to the right material, not sure.
I don't think it sounds generic.  It's just that what it sounds like doesn't appeal to me.

Offline benrosemberg

« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
Fair...it's possible I haven't given them enough of a chance :S

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2015, 03:51:28 PM »
I was considering the Springfield date until I found out that the date was at the venue that was formerly known as Jaxx, which makes it highly likely that it's just as much a dump as Jaxx was. I went there two times-once to see Blind Guardian and Symphony X and once to see Opeth, Nevermore, and Into Eternity-and the place was just awful. I never got why so many bands made it their stop in Northern Virginia, and honestly I should've figured out that the Empire venue was just Jaxx renamed.

Sorry, Haken, but I'm not driving six hours round trip to see you there.  :lol

Ummm....the band doesn't have control of where they play at. It's booking and promoters.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
I don't see what that has to do with what Jaq said.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:34 PM »

*giggle*

Even as a defender of their most recent work....it is admittedly hit and miss.

But if you haven't heard The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane, you *have not* heard what everyone has been drooling over for a decade.   BE has gotten kinder reviews more recently than when it came out...and it's really amazing as well...but I don't think it's a good starter album just because it's more of a "performance art" piece than an actual album.   Feels almost more like a soundtrack.   It's definitely a concept piece that is stunning from start to finish, but there's really only about 4 or 5 "songs" that can be lifted and played out of context without sounding weird. 

But seriously.   The Perfect Element and/or Remedy Lane.   If you like those better than what you've already heard, then test the water with BE. 

But I don't want to turn this into a PoS thread so....

Has anyone heard a decent live performance from Ross?   His studio vocals are so beautiful to me...and I absolutely love his voice...but he seems to have some serious issues trying to do it live.    Even in the best ones I've seen, he's really breathy...thin...and pitchy.     I suppose it could just be his falsetto style, but I know other falsetto singers that are able to "bring it" live.   Jon Anderson for one.   When I first heard Ross on album, I thought he could be this generation's JA...but he needs to do exercises or get some vocal coaching or something.   Cause his live stuff is just not cutting it.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2015, 10:32:08 PM »
I agree, and also, Ray has some issues too. Nothing incredibly major, but I see that he messes stuff up a bit live. Though he is capable of incredible stuff (Darkest Light)
Because Mike is better than Mike