Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439518 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Haken v. Virus (now July 24th)
« Reply #5180 on: September 09, 2020, 05:32:00 AM »
Definitely check out PANTHER, it's a great album. I'm surprised by the almost universally positive reactions to it though, I thought it would polarise more.

My Versions Of The Truth vinyl is coming in today, I'm very excited to hear Gavin Harrison's magic complementing mellow, well thought-through art pop songs again.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5181 on: September 09, 2020, 05:33:17 AM »
Definitely check out PANTHER, it's a great album. I'm surprised by the almost universally positive reactions to it though, I thought it would polarise more.

My Versions Of The Truth vinyl is coming in today, I'm very excited to hear Gavin Harrison's magic complementing mellow, well thought-through art pop songs again.
Gavin is as clean and inventive and musical as ever. Nice and dynamic production as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:49:11 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

« Reply #5182 on: September 19, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »
Some songs from L-1ve came up randomly this morning on one of my playlists. Man...awesome!  These guys are just kicking my butt lately.

Offline 425

« Reply #5183 on: September 19, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
I'm no stranger to having songs slowly grow on me, but still: I got Affinity on release and have listened to it 15 times according to iTunes (sort of a lot for me; I know it might not be for others), and just this week, over four years in, The Endless Knot finally clicked hard for me. Went from being my least favorite song on the album to probably one of my favorites.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline LordCost

« Reply #5184 on: September 19, 2020, 12:10:33 PM »
I'm no stranger to having songs slowly grow on me, but still: I got Affinity on release and have listened to it 15 times according to iTunes (sort of a lot for me; I know it might not be for others), and just this week, over four years in, The Endless Knot finally clicked hard for me. Went from being my least favorite song on the album to probably one of my favorites.
It didn't click for me yet, so I have hope..

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5185 on: September 20, 2020, 04:42:48 AM »

You have to see it live... it will click the shit out of you.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5186 on: September 20, 2020, 04:47:16 AM »

I love The Endless Knot and one of my biggest disappointments seeing Haken live (I had to travel to Germany to see them) is that they didn't play The Endless Knot. I was ready to rock out to that dubstep part so hard.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5187 on: September 20, 2020, 04:56:34 AM »

I love The Endless Knot and one of my biggest disappointments seeing Haken live (I had to travel to Germany to see them) is that they didn't play The Endless Knot. I was ready to rock out to that dubstep part so hard.

Yeah you're right, they didn't play it during their Vectours. They dug it out again in March 2020 though. So maybe travel to Germany again, maybe you'll have more luck ;) Where did you go in Germany?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5188 on: September 20, 2020, 05:17:47 AM »
That time I visited Hamburg for 5 days. It was my birthday vacation. Caught Steven Wilson and Haken back to back on 20th and 21st February 2019 I think. One of my fondest memories lately with all the travel bans and no concerts allowed. I just walked through the town for hours and hours. It was fantastic.

I also stayed in Koln in 2017 for two weeks. I love Germany so I do hope to visit again one day.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5189 on: September 20, 2020, 06:55:53 AM »
That time I visited Hamburg for 5 days. It was my birthday vacation. Caught Steven Wilson and Haken back to back on 20th and 21st February 2019 I think. One of my fondest memories lately with all the travel bans and no concerts allowed. I just walked through the town for hours and hours. It was fantastic.

I also stayed in Koln in 2017 for two weeks. I love Germany so I do hope to visit again one day.

Hamburg is a beautiful city and having seen SW and Haken within 5 days, it doesn't seem like your trip was in vain, although Endless Knot was not played ;)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5190 on: September 20, 2020, 09:07:57 AM »

Hamburg is a beautiful city and having seen SW and Haken within 5 days, it doesn't seem like your trip was in vain, although Endless Knot was not played ;)

The whole trip was one of the best things I've ever experienced so definitely not in vain :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5191 on: September 24, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
Have they given any indication on when they might be touring? Like just some vague part of 2021? Seems that a lot of bands just rescheduled all of their dates for a year later, but as far as I know Haken had no European tour scheduled.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5192 on: September 24, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »
Have they given any indication on when they might be touring? Like just some vague part of 2021? Seems that a lot of bands just rescheduled all of their dates for a year later, but as far as I know Haken had no European tour scheduled.

They are booked for at least one euro festival next summer.  I'm guessing they won't be back in NA until fall of 2021 the earliest, but being they didn't have a tour postponed, I wonder if they'll be pushed out even further since so many tours are already scheduled for 2021 due to postponement.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5193 on: September 24, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
Sometimes I have a bad habit of ranking/rating albums too early after release.  Not giving myself enough time to really digest them.  So I really wanted to take my time with Virus.  I've been pretty much listening to it non-stop since it's release.  I think overall it comes in at my #1 Haken album.  It's just frikking brilliant!  The more I listen the more of the nuances, intricacies, and layers I hear.  This could very well make a push into my top 10 albums of all time list, time will tell!  I've even come around to Canary Yellow, which I really was initially kinda "Blah" on, but now appreciate and enjoy. Carousel and Messiah complex are both simply outstanding. The rest of the tracks are above average with the exception of the very last track.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5194 on: September 24, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »
I've even come around to Canary Yellow, which I really was initially kinda "Blah" on, but now appreciate and enjoy. Carousel and Messiah complex are both simply outstanding.

I think it's placement makes it sound even better.  It flows really well from The Strain and both those songs area a nice break between the two epics.

Virus is a VERY good album IMO.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5195 on: September 25, 2020, 02:20:23 AM »
I've even come around to Canary Yellow, which I really was initially kinda "Blah" on, but now appreciate and enjoy. Carousel and Messiah complex are both simply outstanding.

I think it's placement makes it sound even better.  It flows really well from The Strain and both those songs area a nice break between the two epics.

Yes, the flow is perfect. The drumming at the beginning of Carry Yellow after the fadeout of The Strain is spot-on. Everything about the album is spot-on.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5196 on: September 25, 2020, 06:24:24 AM »

Virus is a VERY good album IMO.
Agreed, the lead into Canary is very good.  Something we didn't get to hear when the single was released.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5197 on: September 25, 2020, 07:16:43 AM »
FWIW, it wasn't announced yet, but Haken had a full US tour lined up for the fall to support Virus. I don't recall the exact timeframe, but they did have a tour get fucked by COVID, on top of the one they were already on.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5198 on: September 25, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
FWIW, it wasn't announced yet, but Haken had a full US tour lined up for the fall to support Virus. I don't recall the exact timeframe, but they did have a tour get fucked by COVID, on top of the one they were already on.

SO upset about that tour being cancelled. St. Louis was one of the cities Affinity was going to be played in full. Had our tickets....me, the wife and the boys were ready to go and pumped.....then tour cancelled 6 days before they'd have played here.  :censored    totally get it but man, that was a tough one to swallow.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5199 on: September 25, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »

Guess that makes sense that it was in the works, sucks big time.  Do you happen to know who they would have been touring with?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5200 on: September 25, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »

Guess that makes sense that it was in the works, sucks big time.  Do you happen to know who they would have been touring with?

Chances are I wouldn't say even if I did know, but I can honestly say I do not know.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #5201 on: October 13, 2020, 07:35:04 AM »
Still hearing cool little nuances. Also getting more comfortable with how the rhythms unfold.

No way any other album tops this for me in 2020. They captured magic in a bottle with this one. Last album that gobsmacked me like this was Ghost Reveries.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5202 on: October 13, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »
Still hearing cool little nuances. Also getting more comfortable with how the rhythms unfold.

No way any other album tops this for me in 2020. They captured magic in a bottle with this one. Last album that gobsmacked me like this was Ghost Reveries.

I think we're on opposite ends of the spectrum on this one. I have little desire to listen to it. In fact, the only time I hear a song off this album now is when one of my boys picks it on their turn in our car.

I think the music is 'good' and all.....I love HAKEN in general......I just prefer their sound prior to this heavier less melodic kick.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5203 on: October 13, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
I revisit it occasionally. I feel better about it than I did during the promo/release date. I don't think it'll end up in my Top 3 this year though, maybe not even Top 5.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5204 on: October 13, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
VIRUS is my album of the year. I knew it when I first heard the promo copy and my opinion hasn't changed after 6000 more listens and the release of a buttload of awesome albums since then.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5205 on: October 13, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
I like it, but it's my least favorite Haken record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5206 on: October 13, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
Hope they come back to Nashville.  They played the 500 capacity Exit-inn last time and hoping they can upgrade to a bit larger venue this time around.  Some place with seating would be nice.  Last time I stood for all three bands and was wiped at the end.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5207 on: October 13, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »
Top 5 album for me this year for sure.  Maybe number 2 - but I definitely have PANTHER above this which will undoubtedly be my number 1 album this year

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5208 on: November 13, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
Virus has staying power :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5209 on: November 13, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
Virus has staying power :metal

clearly  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5210 on: November 13, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
Agreed. I do hope they change up the sound again for the next album, but these last two albums complement each other wonderfully.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5211 on: November 14, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »
A song from Virus randomly played in my car a few weeks ago (thanks to the automatic shuffle once I plug my iPhone in) and it occurred to me that it was the first time I had listened to a song from it in months.  I can't say I disliked the album, but I wasn't crazy about it, and its shelf life in my rotation was about the same as a carton of milk.  Hoping the next album is a return to form.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5212 on: November 14, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
Around the time of its release I proclaimed it my Album Of The Year. I haven't listened to it in quite a while now, but I think it has slipped from my top spot, the luster has worn off a bit. It's still in my Top 5 for 2020 though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5213 on: November 17, 2020, 09:32:53 PM »
Nothing new. Just wanted to share a neat playlist I made.

1. Sun
2. Deathless
3. Because It's There
4. Lapse
5. Host
6. Canary Yellow

It started from Sun (instrumental) playing on my shuffle. I then thought, "it has a similar vibe to Host", so I played them back to back, and liked the way it sounded. Then, I played Deathless, and thought, hmm...I wonder if Haken has similar songs on all the albums. This is the playlist that I created going chronologically.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5214 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »
Nothing new. Just wanted to share a neat playlist I made.

1. Sun
2. Deathless
3. Because It's There
4. Lapse
5. Host
6. Canary Yellow

It started from Sun (instrumental) playing on my shuffle. I then thought, "it has a similar vibe to Host", so I played them back to back, and liked the way it sounded. Then, I played Deathless, and thought, hmm...I wonder if Haken has similar songs on all the albums. This is the playlist that I created going chronologically.

Well, might as well...

Deathless / Canary Yellow >>> Sun / Because It's There >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Host / Lapse

I loved Canary Yellow not just as a standalone song when it was released, but more so for its place on the album in lifting up at a critical point when Host and Lapse both took a big chunk out of their respective albums.