Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 441041 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Restoration, like Baconoration
« Reply #455 on: November 13, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
lol that lamp  :lol
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #456 on: November 13, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
Oh my god I am so excited for this album now just from that! It is SO very Haken but still fresh and new!

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #457 on: November 13, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
Actually, I`m suddenly really excited for what Haken comes up with! I love The Mountain, so I`m ready for the next album I think!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2015, 05:19:15 PM »
actually i just realized, that sounds a lot like this song's first bit  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkX_r1COE6Y

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #459 on: November 14, 2015, 04:54:07 AM »
actually i just realized, that sounds a lot like this song's first bit  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkX_r1COE6Y

That sounds really interesting, need to check that band out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #460 on: November 14, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »
Nice
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #461 on: November 20, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Finally coming around a little on this band.  I like most of The Mountain, with Atlas Stone, Pareidolia, Because It's There, and (especially) Falling Back to Earth all being highly enjoyable.

Still need to give a good listen to those first two albums and last year's EP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #462 on: November 21, 2015, 03:43:17 AM »
I would guess at the first two being less your thing, but the EP is not dissimilar in writing style and approach to The Mountain. Glad you're coming around though! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #463 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:21 AM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #464 on: November 21, 2015, 06:42:18 AM »
I would guess at the first two being less your thing, but the EP is not dissimilar in writing style and approach to The Mountain. Glad you're coming around though! :tup

Out of curiosity, how so?

I ask, because I gave Celestial Elixir a whirl last night, and that song sounds pretty awesome to my ears.  Some of the instrumental sections are totally bad ass. :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #465 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »
The Mountain was less out their Kev.  Got to say, seeing them live upped my love for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #466 on: November 21, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »

Out of curiosity, how so?

I ask, because I gave Celestial Elixir a whirl last night, and that song sounds pretty awesome to my ears.  Some of the instrumental sections are totally bad ass. :hat
I could be totally wrong, of course. Just that I would say that, quirky as they are, the first two have a bit more of what critics would call "prog wankery" and "circus music" about them. Then again, you liked Celestial Elixir so that bodes fairly well!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: November 21, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
The Mountain was less out their Kev.   

Gotcha.

Just that I would say that, quirky as they are, the first two have a bit more of what critics would call "prog wankery" and "circus music" about them. Then again, you liked Celestial Elixir so that bodes fairly well!

Not that they really sound like Spock's Beard, but I've heard enough of their stuff now to say that they do enough quirky, like SB, to where it sounds natural when they do it, not shoehorned in (which DT is guilty of at times, I think). 

Of the three long epics, my early thoughts are that it is close call between Crystallised and Celestial Elixir as to which is the best of them; both are pretty great to me after only a couple listens each.  Visions seems solid, but not as good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #468 on: November 21, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »
Not that they really sound like Spock's Beard, but I've heard enough of their stuff now to say that they do enough quirky, like SB, to where it sounds natural when they do it, not shoehorned in (which DT is guilty of at times, I think). 
Very true, and one of the reasons I find Haken that bit more consistent than DT, for my tastes anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #469 on: November 21, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Of the three long epics, my early thoughts are that it is close call between Crystallised and Celestial Elixir as to which is the best of them; both are pretty great to me after only a couple listens each.  Visions seems solid, but not as good.

Dammit Kev. Not only are you getting into Haken, but you're with me on the correct ordering of the epics. This is scary.

In related news, on Cruise to the Edge I got to see Haken shows #5 and #6, and continue to love them more and more. At this rate, if the new album lives up to expectations, I plan on taking a big leap for the US tour in September. My two tattoos now are Rush themed and DT themed, and the next one may very well be a Haken tattoo. I'm hoping that if I do it, they give me something good to work with in the artwork of the next album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #470 on: November 21, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »
Damn it, where's that edit post button...? :lol :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: November 21, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
Very true, and one of the reasons I find Haken that bit more consistent than DT, for my tastes anyway.

Nowadays, that is kind of an unfair comparison, since DT is about to be 13 albums in, and Haken is only 3 (plus an EP) in.  Most bands are at their best and most consistent early on, as you say Haken is, and as Dream Theater was early in their career as well.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #472 on: November 21, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »
Oh totally, only time will tell.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #473 on: November 21, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
This discussion is too British.  Now take your monical off Rich and stop agreeing.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #474 on: November 21, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Nowadays, that is kind of an unfair comparison, since DT is about to be 13 albums in, and Haken is only 3 (plus an EP) in.  Most bands are at their best and most consistent early on, as you say Haken is, and as Dream Theater was early in their career as well.
I actually think that if I'm going to compare the bands at a similar stage in their career, Haken would beat Dream Theater.

Aquarius >>>>> WDaDU (Not even close)

Visions < IaW (Hard to go up against a classic, but Visions is still surprisingly close)

The Mountain = Awake (Both are godly, this is too hard :lol)

Restoration >> ACoS (In terms of value for money as an EP, Restoration dominates as it has 10 more minutes of great original material while ACoS is followed with live covers as filler)

If Haken release 2 or 3 more albums, I think they could take over DT as my favourite band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #475 on: November 21, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »
Okay, but what are the odds that they keep making album after album at this supposedly high level?  Very few bands have done it, without a hiccup in there somewhere.

For the record, while I am getting more into them now, I am finding much more of the material to be good rather than having the wow factor.  The really good songs are really good, but they are in the vast minority.  That is a major contrast to DT, who pretty much wowed me non-stop from 1992-2002, with only several tracks from FII not being particularly great.  The Mountain is very good, but no way can I say it is better than the best six or even seven albums by DT.  But that's me.

Oh totally, only time will tell.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #476 on: November 21, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
Restoration definitely has the benefit of 3 original songs, as opposed to one brand new original song on ACOS, but I would take ACOS over all 3 songs on Restoration. It was a good EP, but didn't wow me. Also, funny coincidence that both DT and Haken's 4th studio releases were EPs featuring reworkings of older material.

As for Haken's longevity, it's really impossible to say. I'd say right now they're just as good as DT were in their prime, so the test is how long will that last. Few bands have kept me interested into their 13th album, so it's not super likely but possible. With that said, topping The Mountain is going to be extremely difficult.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: November 21, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »
i'unno the only DT album I like more than The Mountain is Awake, personally

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #478 on: November 21, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
I don't think making an album where the least best song is better than Cockroach King, which I still find annoying as hell*, will be difficult.

*Vocally; musically, it is fine, but man oh man, those vocal melodies are cringeworthy.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #479 on: November 21, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »
Those vocals were a perfect case of so bad they're good for me, especially after watching a live version where they hand out the puppets from the music video  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #480 on: November 21, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »
Those off kilter harmonies in the bridge are the greatest moment of the ENTIRE ALBUM imo.   Just amazing!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: November 21, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
Restoration definitely has the benefit of 3 original songs, as opposed to one brand new original song on ACOS, but I would take ACOS over all 3 songs on Restoration. It was a good EP, but didn't wow me. Also, funny coincidence that both DT and Haken's 4th studio releases were EPs featuring reworkings of older material.

One important distinction that should be made; Dream Theater were re-working a song written during their second album. Haken were re-working songs from PRIOR to their first album. It would have been very interesting had Dream Theater essentially taken tracks from the Majesty Demos and turned them into something new.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: November 22, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
For me there is no doubt, Haken is a much better band than DT is or was.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #483 on: November 22, 2015, 01:58:29 AM »
Let's put it like this: I have enjoyed Hakens albums more than i've enjoyed DTs 3 latest albums however the biggest problem I have with DT these days are JLBs vocals, I just can't stand JLB whenever he goes highpitched live. Even though Ross might not be the most original vocalist his voice and vocals are much more enjoyable to listen to.
I still have tremendous respect for each member in DT including JLB as musicians and i'm very intrigued hearing DT13.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #484 on: November 22, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »
This discussion is too British.  Now take your monical off Rich and stop agreeing.  :lol
:ariich:

Okay, but what are the odds that they keep making album after album at this supposedly high level?  Very few bands have done it, without a hiccup in there somewhere.
For sure, this was what I meant as well. And things change over time - Hen started out as the primary songwriter and even on The Mountain came up with most of the initial ideas that the band then developed, but as I understand it they are going more and more in the direction of full-band writing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: November 22, 2015, 07:22:11 AM »
Yeah, I was actually talking to Hen about that on the cruise. They are definitely being more collaborative this time around.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: November 22, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »
I don't think making an album where the least best song is better than Cockroach King, which I still find annoying as hell*, will be difficult.

*Vocally; musically, it is fine, but man oh man, those vocal melodies are cringeworthy.
cockroach king is like top 3 on the mountain but ok

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #487 on: November 22, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »

cockroach king is like top 3 on the mountain but ok

I'd say top 1, but who's keeping score?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: November 22, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
it can be #2 or #3 depending on my mood but I don't think anything is beating Falling Back to Earth

Offline jammindude

« Reply #489 on: November 22, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
Basically, tracks 1-6 are about as close to progressive perfection as you can possibly get.  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude