Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 441201 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Haken v. Virus (June 5th)
« Reply #3955 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
Does anybody know if the European shirts are tighter than US shirts? Would love to get the Haken Virus shirt and usually wear XL but I'm not sure if the sizing varies compared to the US shirts.

Where are you seeing shirts? I don't seen them on the CMUS link.

On the Omerch website on the Haken store. Hence my questions about European shirt sizing.
https://www.omerch.eu/shop/haken/

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3956 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »
Love the song!  Looking forward to this album!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3957 on: April 03, 2020, 10:29:59 AM »
Does anybody know if the European shirts are tighter than US shirts? Would love to get the Haken Virus shirt and usually wear XL but I'm not sure if the sizing varies compared to the US shirts.

Where are you seeing shirts? I don't seen them on the CMUS link.

On the Omerch website on the Haken store. Hence my questions about European shirt sizing.
https://www.omerch.eu/shop/haken/

Oh, haha. I would have done the bundle if the shirts were yellow instead of black. I'm gonna get the 2 CD from CM.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3958 on: April 03, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »
I'm very much excited for Virus, but that being said, if this album is as heavy and guitar driven as the single would suggest I really hope the next album returns to the spacier feel of The Mountain or the more keyboard driven feel of the debut. I basically know for a fact I won't get my wish on the latter, but do think there is some hope for the former.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3959 on: April 03, 2020, 10:47:05 AM »

Am I the only one? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline 425

« Reply #3960 on: April 03, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
I'm very much excited for Virus, but that being said, if this album is as heavy and guitar driven as the single would suggest I really hope the next album returns to the spacier feel of The Mountain or the more keyboard driven feel of the debut. I basically know for a fact I won't get my wish on the latter, but do think there is some hope for the former.

I feel the same way. I feel confident by now that pretty much whatever Haken tries will have a strong chance of succeeding, but I'd be lying if I said the direction they've taken since The Mountain is emphasizing the elements of their sound I like best.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline emtee

« Reply #3961 on: April 03, 2020, 11:52:32 AM »
I knew when Aquarius came out that these guys were going to
take off. Excellent band, consistent and very prolific. If I had to choose
a current top 3 bands, it would be: IQ, Tesseract and Haken.

Cool song. Heavy  too!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3962 on: April 03, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »
Guys....the next album needs to be green.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3963 on: April 03, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »
 :lol I say white for sauerkraut personally, but I've got no objection over pickle green

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3964 on: April 03, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »
Guys....the next album needs to be green.

I mean, Affinity was green-themed. Like I said above, it'd be neat if they followed Virus with a four-letter V-titled album colored in blue, paying homage to King Crimson's 80s albums Discipline, Beat, and Three Of A Perfect Pair, especially given the band's King Crimson influences here and there.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3965 on: April 03, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

Cool song. Heavy  too!

Emtee..Check out the band Vola. Their last album, "Applause from a Distant Crowd" is a masterpiece in my opinion. I would put Vola up there with your list.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3966 on: April 03, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »

I believe that it will be a lot of diversity on this album, from Haken's Facebook:
"Once again, Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood has mixed what is perhaps the most eclectic Haken album to date, with the 7 tracks revealing hints of influences from multiple genres, all intertwined with Haken’s own recognisable sound."
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3967 on: April 03, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »
So

I absolutely love the single. Mind you I've only listened 1.5 times... But... Yea.

Looking forward to this release!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3968 on: April 03, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »

I believe that it will be a lot of diversity on this album, from Haken's Facebook:
"Once again, Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood has mixed what is perhaps the most eclectic Haken album to date, with the 7 tracks revealing hints of influences from multiple genres, all intertwined with Haken’s own recognisable sound."

I've read far too many press releases (and even worse promo junkets that come with advance music) to put any faith in that, unfortunately.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3969 on: April 03, 2020, 01:36:46 PM »
Yeah I'm not sure about that particular phrase, and if you look at the rest of the sentence it clearly says "hints of influences from multiple genres". So I wouldn't expect anything too wacky or off-the-wall.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3970 on: April 03, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
Just listened to the new song.  Holy crap that's heavy!  I am sooooooo excited for this album.  :metal

And can't wait for the rest.  :corn
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3971 on: April 03, 2020, 01:43:53 PM »
Love the new song. Already like it better than anything on Vector.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3972 on: April 03, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »
Solid song, seems like the "straightforward" single song that every Haken album seems to have. Interested in hearing the 10-min track and the suite as well, personally I'm hoping it has a lot of differentiation and doesn't stick to one style a la Vector.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #3973 on: April 03, 2020, 02:30:04 PM »
Prosthetic absolutely rips.  A well-needed dose of badassery this Friday afternoon!
 :metal
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3974 on: April 03, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
Good opener IMO, similar to Initiate and Good Doctor. Neither of these two past openers had me excited by themselves, but they work great in the context of their respective albums.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3975 on: April 03, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »

Cool song. Heavy  too!

Emtee..Check out the band Vola. Their last album, "Applause from a Distant Crowd" is a masterpiece in my opinion. I would put Vola up there with your list.

Thanks Bro. I know we have similar tastes. If you love it, I will too. I'll check it out for sure.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3976 on: April 04, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Wait....is The Messiah Complex a split suite? Because, on their website, it lists Only Stars as track 7. The Messiah Complex parts are named under TMC as track 6.

I'm guessing it's not split.

Well, I guess I just had to look further down...

"Once again, Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood has mixed what is perhaps the most eclectic Haken album to date, with the 7 tracks revealing hints of influences from multiple genres, all intertwined with Haken’s own recognisable sound"

Edit: Also, just found out that CMUS has now added a Yellow shirt package. Yay for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:29:46 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3977 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure this will be good, so colour me excited.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3978 on: April 04, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »
Wait....is The Messiah Complex a split suite? Because, on their website, it lists Only Stars as track 7. The Messiah Complex parts are named under TMC as track 6.

Begs the question why any band considers this, especially for a relatively short epic. It's not like it's over 30 minutes, or the only song on the disc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3979 on: April 04, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »

Begs the question why any band considers this, especially for a relatively short epic. It's not like it's over 30 minutes, or the only song on the disc.

Considering the iTunes listing showed 11 tracks, with the 5 parts to TMC being split (with different and individual track lengths), I think it's safe to assume the discs will feature 11 tracks, but the band themselves will consider the album as having 7 songs.

This is something that always irks me, especially with prog bands - when artists/labels/press releases cannot differentiate between TRACKS and SONGS on an album. For example, if you consider "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" as one song, then the album SDOIT has 6 songs, but the way the CD is pressed, it has 13 tracks (5 on disc one, 8 on disc two).

It seems like Haken have written and composed "The Messiah Complex" as one piece, but have split it on the CD/digital formats for one reason or another. I guess we'll have to wait about 2 months before we can hear it and see how it all plays out, but I suspect it to be something along the lines of SDOIT or Spock's Beard's "The Healing Colors Of Sound", could be considered one song, but might have clear separating points between each part, though they may crossfade into each other.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3980 on: April 04, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »
Structurally speaking, Spock's Healing Colours of Sound suite is probably a good comparator.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3981 on: April 04, 2020, 02:09:22 PM »
Have you actually heard it already?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3982 on: April 04, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »
Structurally speaking, Spock's Healing Colours of Sound suite is probably a good comparator.

Cool, now I have a good idea of how it might sound, at least, structurally. I've kept THCOS as one track on my CD-r and digital versions of the album for years, so I'll more than likely do the same for Haken's TMC, especially since the band insists that the album has 7 songs (which, oddly enough, is like Vector).

-Marc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3983 on: April 04, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
Have you actually heard it already?
:-X

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3984 on: April 04, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »
Finally got to hear the song. The tone, playing and production are flawless :tup :tup :tup

Not too crazy about the song, tho. I wasn't a big fan of Vector overall (LOVE some songs like Veil and Puzzle Box, but not the album as a whole) so I'm not too excited about them releasing a direct sequel to it, both stylistically and conceptually.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3985 on: April 04, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
Happy with this information! I've always heard Healing Colours more as one big (and very good) song.
So... if you are allowed, you could confirm to us if the album has a diversity of styles like it was said in the press release or it's more unidimensional like Vector? In your opinion, of course.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3986 on: April 04, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
I didn't find Vector particularly uni-dimensional, so it's not like I'd be a very useful person to ask that question to. Overall it was tonally darker (or perhaps rather, more consistently dark) and more riff-driven than their previous albums, but I still find it pretty varied.

In terms of Virus, I couldn't say really, but I would just point to what the press release actually says. Firstly, as I said before, it says the album is "eclectic", with "hints of influences from multiple genres", which to be honest could describe any Haken album. :lol Also, there's the quote from Hen: "...we wanted the two albums to be sonically connected. But ... it’s obvious that this album will be an evolution of the ‘Vector’ sound."

I be am boner inducing.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #3987 on: April 04, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the response, ariich!
I also don’t  think Vector is an unidimensional album, but I think that it has less diversity than Aquarius, Mountain, Restored and Affinity. I agree, Vector is a darker album, which it’s different than to be relentless heavy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3988 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:08 PM »

Gotcha.  To me, Healing Colors is like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence in that both sound like a bunch of short songs that all run together rather than an actual single song, and if the Haken song is like that, I will likely be fine with them being split up. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3989 on: April 05, 2020, 08:16:29 AM »
Was listening to Affinity today and honestly i've forgotten how much I enjoyed that album. No diss to Ross what so ever but I really enjoyed listening to the instrumental disc. The music is just superb filled with so much nuggets and details it could almost serve as a standalone instrumental album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls