Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440739 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3500 on: February 14, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »
Yeah it's oddly not available in the US amazon or lasercd website.

BTW I have a question, I got my 2 CD edition of affinity today, does it come with a booklet? Mine didn't come with one.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3501 on: February 14, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
Yeah it's oddly not available in the US amazon or lasercd website.

BTW I have a question, I got my 2 CD edition of affinity today, does it come with a booklet? Mine didn't come with one.

Looking back at my IG post with the mediabook, it should have booklet inside.

https://www.instagram.com/markymarc413/p/BFAyZbUihzE/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5mvk7b11r1y5

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3502 on: February 14, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
Yeah mine is the trifold edition which has a little slot for a booklet which there was none. I emailed the seller and he said he can issue the refund.

Now I have another question, there appear to be a few versions of the 2CD edition. There's one I got - the trifold digipack, another one like the post in your IG. there's also one called a media book edition. I'm going to assume the one in your IG is the mediabook edition. Are they the same or is that different altogether?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3503 on: February 14, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
Yeah mine is the trifold edition which has a little slot for a booklet which there was none. I emailed the seller and he said he can issue the refund.

Now I have another question, there appear to be a few versions of the 2CD edition. There's one I got - the trifold digipack, another one like the post in your IG. there's also one called a media book edition. I'm going to assume the one in your IG is the mediabook edition. Are they the same or is that different altogether?

Mine is the Mediabook edition. I wasn't aware there was a tri-digipak!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3504 on: February 14, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
I prefer the booklet separate from the spine which is why I got it. Mediabook does look nice too though.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3505 on: February 20, 2019, 05:14:48 AM »
I prefer the booklet separate from the spine which is why I got it.

This. Apologies for diverting to Dream Theater for a moment, but the fact The Astonishing's booklet is stuck to the case is so annoying. If you want to read it, you have to have space for a three-panel case to open out just to read the booklet. And it's difficult to hold it up if you want to read it closely.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: February 21, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »
Just came back from my first ever Haken show. Holy shit!

More on that when I'm back home tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3507 on: February 23, 2019, 04:50:48 AM »
How the hell can anyone say Nil By Mouth is boring?! Have you even heard the damn thing?!! It's their Dance of Eternity, without question. The time signature changes are insane! It just baffles me how wrong everyone is about that song.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3508 on: February 23, 2019, 05:00:55 AM »
I’d say Portals > Nil by Mouth. Without doing the actual math I’m fairly confident Portals has more time signature changes than Nil by Mouth. And so what if it does? Complexity doesn’t make a good track, much like ridiculously fast playing doesn’t make a good guitar solo. I don’t think Nil by Mouth is all that boring, but if I were to rank Haken’s songs from exciting to boring, it would surely end up quite far on the boring scale.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3509 on: February 23, 2019, 06:21:14 AM »
NBM is probably my favourite Haken instrumental, but yeah it's certainly nothing to do with complexity and I'm not even sure it is any more complex than the others.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3510 on: February 23, 2019, 06:27:50 AM »
It's an exciting song and fun to listen to, but I wouldn't call it great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3511 on: February 23, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »
Haken has yet to do what I would call a great instrumental, but I feel that they have it in them; it just hasn't come out yet.

Nil by Mouth is good if you like crazy time sigs above all else and view music as a mathematical exercise, but I don't, so it's mostly an afterthought for me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3512 on: February 23, 2019, 06:45:14 AM »
Portals is much better and closer to being their own TDOE. I like NBM more now than when it was first released, but I still think it’s just a technical chugga chugga fest.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3513 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:19 AM »
Not sure where all the "NBM has so many crazy time signatures" stuff is coming from. Half the song is in 4/4 and half the rest is in 17/8. There's a very crazy section in the middle but loads of Haken songs have things like that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3514 on: February 24, 2019, 07:38:17 AM »
Yes, there is a fair bit of 4/4 in it, but the way the 4/4 is broken up is incredibly inventive and thrilling, to give the *impression* of odd time.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3515 on: February 24, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
A lot of Meshuggah stuff is in 4/4 and yet it sounds like like an absurd odd time.
How you use your time signature is more important than what it actually is.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3516 on: February 24, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »
Yes, there is a fair bit of 4/4 in it, but the way the 4/4 is broken up is incredibly inventive and thrilling, to give the *impression* of odd time.

Since I never studied music, I had to have this pointed out to me.   I always thought the intro to Giant's Lore by Fates Warning was in some really messed up time signature.  But then I had a drummer point out to me that it's actually in 4/4.  They just which the riff out from the beat to the offbeat and it makes it sound weird. 

I never did double check to see if what he said was accurate.  But I got the idea of where he was coming from. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3517 on: February 24, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
How the hell can anyone say Nil By Mouth is boring?! Have you even heard the damn thing?!! It's their Dance of Eternity, without question. The time signature changes are insane! It just baffles me how wrong everyone is about that song.
Nil By Mouth is the only Haken song that I removed from my Spotify library because I found it too boring

The rest of the album is killer though, was quite a grower
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3518 on: February 24, 2019, 11:08:50 AM »
None of the album is "boring" to me.  But it was the first time a Haken album didn't WOW me.   All four of the first 4 albums had my jaw on the floor in one place or another.   I was surprised and shocked in a good way.   This album just made me go, "Yup. That's a Haken album alright."     It's a good album.   It's just their first album I would describe as only just "good".   

Aquarius - 9
Visions - 9
The Mountain - 10
Affinity - 9.5
Vector - 7 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3519 on: February 27, 2019, 07:32:44 AM »
Hey guys here is the link to our interview with Diego Tejeida while they were here in Lima, Peru.
The audio is in Spanish and there is an English transcription too.

Check it here: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-diego-tejeida/

Or here

https://www.facebook.com/SonicPerspectives/posts/2347939278549917

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3520 on: February 27, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
Hey guys here is the link to our interview with Diego Tejeida while they were here in Lima, Peru.

Check it here: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-diego-tejeida/

Or here

:hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3521 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:17 AM »

Or here

Awesome interview,  man!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3522 on: February 27, 2019, 08:41:13 AM »
Cool interview.

I was surprised he didn't mention any of the DT keyboardists as one of his influences, although he did talk about Rudess later on in regards to asking for his okay to play his material with Portnoy.

I'd be down with a project with him and Gillette. :hat

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3523 on: February 27, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
Cool interview.

I was surprised he didn't mention any of the DT keyboardists as one of his influences, although he did talk about Rudess later on in regards to asking for his okay to play his material with Portnoy.

It surprised me too. While asking him the que question, I though he would mention JR at least

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3524 on: February 27, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »

And Baard Kolstad :metal

I'm not a Leprous fan, but Baard out of this world. Excellent drummer.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3525 on: February 27, 2019, 10:56:25 AM »
Great interview! very interesting and nice to hear about his interaction with JR pre-Shattered Fortress.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3526 on: March 03, 2019, 04:17:49 AM »
So last night, this happened. I'm the dude with the Heineken Haken shirt.
It was once again absolutely out of this world. How do they pull this off live? Plus they are like the nicest dudes ever. It was great meeting them again.

Bent Knee was also amazing, I had to buy an LP after the show. Now I have absolutely no money left. Worth it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: March 03, 2019, 04:21:48 AM »
You guys had two people at the M&G? Not bad. :lol We had five.

Absolutely agree with the statement they're the nicest dudes ever, I've never been to such a relaxed M&G before.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3528 on: March 03, 2019, 04:24:06 AM »

Absolutely agree with the statement they're the nicest dudes ever, I've never been to such a relaxed M&G before.

We had a few more (like 6 or so), but my friend Theo and I asked them if we could do an individual picture!

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3529 on: March 03, 2019, 05:57:45 AM »
I was at the show as well. Mind-blowing. Ross has improved noticeably since the Affinity Tour. Ray has evolved into a beast. One of the best concerts I've ever witnessed.

I hope we get a DVD of this tour.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3530 on: March 04, 2019, 11:04:41 PM »

Seems not to be too unusual for Europe, and frankly I'm jealous. Don't get me wrong, I always get a chance at some point during a tour to talk to them, but even during the M&Gs I pay for I tend to hang back and make sure everyone else has a chance to do whatever, and there always seems to be a ton of people. Would love a M&G with like, 1-3 other people. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3531 on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:37 AM »
I’m jealois of all the posts I read about people seeing them. I haven’t seen them live since last summer (I know I’m spoiled) and am really looking forward to the Vectour show. Seeing them in 1,5 week and then a week after that again :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3532 on: March 05, 2019, 01:46:02 AM »
Then we will soon be jealous of you being the most recent to see them. Honestly cant wait for them to do another tour of the US with a longer set, hopefully its not too long of a wait.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3533 on: March 05, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
I think I have had the new album long enough now to say that Veil and Host are undoubtedly the two best songs from it. Both are major keepers.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3534 on: March 05, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
For those who already saw them on this tour (and SPOILERS about the setlist, although I think they will be quite obvious):
Which of the new songs work best for you guys during a live concert? I think, A Cell Divides has really grown on me. I always thought the song was awesome, but it worked even better in a live setting. My personal favourite was Nil By Mouth though!! This song kicked ass. So much that people behind us were starting a mosh pit. I have nothing against mosh pits since they are mostly peaceful, but I don't always want to take part in them. So it was good we stood in the very first row. But during the whole tune, I was like in a trance, it was absolutely mindblowing.

I was at the show as well. Mind-blowing. Ross has improved noticeably since the Affinity Tour. Ray has evolved into a beast. One of the best concerts I've ever witnessed.

I hope we get a DVD of this tour.

And I agree!! Ross has become SO MUCH better!! I was so stunned by all the high notes he just hit perfectly. And Ray - yes, he is an absolute beast. Incredible player. He needs to get a lot more attention. One of my favourite drummers out there.