Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440743 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3360 on: November 25, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »
Puzzle Box is still my favourite, but Veil is close behind.

I'm with you on that, Puzzle Box has become my favorite, with Veil as a close second  :tup

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3361 on: November 25, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
Damn, tonight’s show cancelled.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3362 on: November 25, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
Just saw, thats a big storm they're unfortunate to be in.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3363 on: November 26, 2018, 12:25:08 AM »
Saw them in Pomona a couple of weeks ago. They were fuckin killer as usual. I just can't get in to Leporus. Just about every song sounded the same to me, and their singer (who has a crazy range and incredible control by the way) seems like a one trick pony. Has no dynamic to his voice other than high and fuckin high. Also, Haken is a class fuckin act. Always mentioning the other bands that played before them, even Leporus who wasn't opening but co-headlining. Leporus didn't say shit about Haken or Bent Knee. Just seemed kinda douchey and full of themselves to me. But either way, I had a killer time!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3364 on: November 26, 2018, 03:59:16 AM »
Saw them in Pomona a couple of weeks ago. They were fuckin killer as usual. I just can't get in to Leporus. Just about every song sounded the same to me, and their singer (who has a crazy range and incredible control by the way) seems like a one trick pony. Has no dynamic to his voice other than high and fuckin high. Also, Haken is a class fuckin act. Always mentioning the other bands that played before them, even Leporus who wasn't opening but co-headlining. Leporus didn't say shit about Haken or Bent Knee. Just seemed kinda douchey and full of themselves to me. But either way, I had a killer time!

I get what you are saying about the newer material.  This is why I like the first two albums.  A lot of variety and more progressive.  Hoping all 3 bands make it to St. Louis and then to Nashville.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: November 26, 2018, 04:14:29 AM »
Yea theres a lot of samey feels from some of the tracks off malina. I noticed they didnt talk at all to the crowd and wondered if maybe theres a language barrier? Not sure why they didnt engage the crowd at all but thought they were really good live personally.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3366 on: November 26, 2018, 06:22:03 AM »
The singer stated in interviews that he (and the band in general) doesn't feel comfortable interacting with fans.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3367 on: November 26, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »
The singer stated in interviews that he (and the band in general) doesn't feel comfortable interacting with fans.

They seemed nice and cordial at the VIP....

....but then again, Geoff Tate was always able to “put on his game face” for those, so that doesn’t always mean anything
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3368 on: November 26, 2018, 07:19:19 AM »
Our VIP experience in Austin was crap. Everything felt disorganized and rushed. Didn't get anything signed (brought some vinyls) or a signed poster (from the VIP package) since they ran out or something. The bands themselves were pretty gracious and talkative. But I guess there were a lot of people (more than 15 I would say). If I was Haken, I would look a bit deeper into the organization of it. From the short chat I had with Richard, seems like Nova Collective will be releasing something next year.

The concert itself was great. Even though I don't like Leprous' music, I enjoyed their live presentation. Maybe the live album can change my mind about them. Have tried getting into them but nothing yet.

Haken's show was great. Vector really shines in a live setting. Even though it was super cold (outdoor gig), they gave everything and Ross' voice sounded great. Great frontman! It was great to see Connor headbanging during Nil by Mouth. I was standing towards Richard's side and man, I was in awe all the time. His playing just slays.

I was hesitant in posting my review just because my experience with the VIP sucked (makes DT's VIP M&G look great LOL). However, two things: a) Glad the money goes directly to the band and was happy to support them. In order for bands to come to your town (once a promoter gets the band to come to your town) is to support the band financially (buying merch or VIPs; streaming their music really doesn't help them); and b) for those hesitating in the VIP and/or concert, do yourself a favor and go. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: Cancelling a show sucks so if anybody can make it to the other gigs and show their support to them, the band will definitely appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:27:58 AM by goo-goo »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3369 on: November 26, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
I guess that's just Leprous' show. Thats how they were during our one headline show.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3370 on: November 26, 2018, 09:57:23 AM »
My VIP with Haken last year in April was AWESOME! In Dresden (my hometown) there didn't seem to be that many hardcore fans that did the VIP thing so we were like 10-12 (max 15) people. I loved that it was not too organised, it made the whole thing feel like a spontaneous hang out with the band!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3371 on: November 26, 2018, 12:09:37 PM »
I've seen a few apologies from Haken towards the VIPs at a few shows this year.  I'm thinking their management put them on a tight schedule and they've found it hard to meet it consistently while on tour.  It did seem like they would try to make it up to the VIPs in some way, but I can't say if that's been worthy or not.  I've never done the VIP thing and have little desire to do so personally.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #3372 on: November 26, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »

Leprous (Einar) doesn't have a lot of vocal interaction with the fans. Personally I don't care, I can live without the 'how are you doing, you are so great, best gig of the tour' BS. if you don't feel comfortable just put your energy in the music.
When I saw Leprous 2 months ago that was certainly the case. Great performance, great atmosphere, lots of energy

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3373 on: November 26, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
Random thought: the streak of songs from The Good doctor to Veil is the best three-song run they've ever released. I'm just blown away by those three tracks back to back.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3374 on: November 26, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
Random thought: the streak of songs from The Good doctor to Veil is the best three-song run they've ever released. I'm just blown away by those three tracks back to back.

That's an opinion I can get on board with!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3375 on: November 26, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »

Yup, fantastic 3 song run

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3376 on: November 26, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »

Just got back from the show in St. Louis and this about sums it up for me. Especially when speaking towards Leprous. The band is very talented and tight, the drummer is really good.....but like you mentioned.....all their songs were essentially the same. It reminded me of Scale the Summit’s first album. Really good technical musicianship but it was essentially the same song over and over. And I agree about the singer. Freaking talented as all get out but it was just ‘the same’ for every song. I think if they stick with it and cultivate themselves a bit they have potential to do some great stuff.

Oh and....KevShmev is my witness.....Leprous’s light show nearly gave me a freaking seizure. I must be firmly in ‘old man’ territory now because my mind hurt trying to watch the stage. Thankfully after I spotted Kev and moved to where he was which was dead center my headache vanished....but jeez....talk about strobes of all different colors. ‘Get off my lawn’ please.....

And, I can’t say enough good things about HAKEN. That’s the second time I’ve seen them (can’t believe they’ve stopped in St. Louis twice) and both times they were incredible live. It took me a while to warm up to Ross’s vocals when I first started listening to them.....but he grew on me and man.....can that dude freaking sing! Talk about being diverse vocally....he puts on a show.

And the band themselves are tight.....look to be having fun together and just sound awesome. Although, I spent half the time thinking the bass player’s beard was fake and he was just some guy in witness protection with a really bad fake beard. It looks out of place on him. Anyway.....if your contemplating going to see HAKEN when/if they come through your area.....DO IT!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:04 AM »

Yup, fantastic 3 song run

Indeed!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3378 on: November 27, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »

Just got back from the show in St. Louis and this about sums it up for me. Especially when speaking towards Leprous. The band is very talented and tight, the drummer is really good.....but like you mentioned.....all their songs were essentially the same. It reminded me of Scale the Summit’s first album. Really good technical musicianship but it was essentially the same song over and over. And I agree about the singer. Freaking talented as all get out but it was just ‘the same’ for every song. I think if they stick with it and cultivate themselves a bit they have potential to do some great stuff.

Oh and....KevShmev is my witness.....Leprous’s light show nearly gave me a freaking seizure. I must be firmly in ‘old man’ territory now because my mind hurt trying to watch the stage. Thankfully after I spotted Kev and moved to where he was which was dead center my headache vanished....but jeez....talk about strobes of all different colors. ‘Get off my lawn’ please.....

And, I can’t say enough good things about HAKEN. That’s the second time I’ve seen them (can’t believe they’ve stopped in St. Louis twice) and both times they were incredible live. It took me a while to warm up to Ross’s vocals when I first started listening to them.....but he grew on me and man.....can that dude freaking sing! Talk about being diverse vocally....he puts on a show.

And the band themselves are tight.....look to be having fun together and just sound awesome. Although, I spent half the time thinking the bass player’s beard was fake and he was just some guy in witness protection with a really bad fake beard. It looks out of place on him. Anyway.....if your contemplating going to see HAKEN when/if they come through your area.....DO IT!

Amen to that!  Leprous' music was pretty good, definitely a talented bunch, but their light show was a chore to endure.  It's hard to enjoy a set when the lights from the stage are that blinding.

As for Haken, they were great as expected.  1985 was the highlight for me, but Puzzle Box, Veil, Crystallized and Falling Back to Earth were stellar as well.  I am not a big fan of Nil by Mouth, but I get why they play it.  It rocks pretty hard and the riffing had most of the people on the floor bouncing.  It felt like it is their Dance of Eternity (an exercise in musical proficiency, more than anything else).

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3379 on: November 27, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »

Amen to that!  Leprous' music was pretty good, definitely a talented bunch, but their light show was a chore to endure.  It's hard to enjoy a set when the lights from the stage are that blinding.

As for Haken, they were great as expected.  1985 was the highlight for me, but Puzzle Box, Veil, Crystallized and Falling Back to Earth were stellar as well.  I am not a big fan of Nil by Mouth, but I get why they play it.  It rocks pretty hard and the riffing had most of the people on the floor bouncing.  It felt like it is their Dance of Eternity (an exercise in musical proficiency, more than anything else).

Did you all get one song from Bilateral?  It seems like every third show gets one song.  I was looking at youtube and there was an interview with Ross and I thing the drummer from Leporus and the lady interviewing right off the bat said to the drummer that Bilateral was her favorite  Leporus album. He indicated that she was not alone, but the band is taking a different direction.  It should be fun for me tonight in Nashville.  I have lived here all my life and have never been to the Exit/In.  The venue is mostly standing and has a maximum of 500.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3380 on: November 27, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »
Yea, Bilateral is where it's at for Leprous and myself.  And sadly, they don't really play anything from it. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3381 on: November 27, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
Did you all get one song from Bilateral?

I honestly have no idea. Was/am completely unfamiliar with Leprous and their song names. I youtube'd them to listen to a song or two of theirs a couple weeks ago just to hear them....but until that point had never heard of them.

Like I said earlier, they were very tight and their sound was good. Singer is very talented....but it all just sounded like one song to me. I did see a few people there that appeared to be familiar with them that were completely digging it....so I'd imagine if you know their stuff you'll enjoy it immensely.

Just bring some sunglasses for the light show.  :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: November 27, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »

:lol I was on the side of the stage so their light show really did nothing for me, but here's a blinding example and I'm sure this might have been tough to watch from some perspectives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_szu-EmxMM

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: November 27, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »

:lol I was on the side of the stage so their light show really did nothing for me, but here's a blinding example and I'm sure this might have been tough to watch from some perspectives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_szu-EmxMM

Dude....I've never felt so old  :lol  It was brutal on my eyes and brain.....it hurt. Tons of people were digging it.....so I think it was a good light show if you're it to that....but wouldn't know for sure because anytime it started to get going full swing I just looked down or away and closed my eyes a bit. Not even kidding. I started off to the side of the stage but the venue we were at that still put you in front of them really. Then, after Kev pointed out the space next to him was open I moved and we were dead center.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3384 on: November 27, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »
I'll back up my elder homies in the consensual opinion of Leprous' light show. I would've left till Haken but I didn't want to give up my front row spot. They had a few highlights and decent songs, but the vocalist pretty much ruins leprous for me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3385 on: November 27, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
I'll be the dissenting opinion on Leprous.  I saw them a couple times, once up front and once in the middle of the crowd.  I didn't have a problem with the lights at all.   I have had that problem with other bands and have found that I can usually move around until I find a spot where it's OK for me.  So maybe I was just lucky with where I was standing this time around.

As for their live performance - I like how little talking they do.  Their English is fine - certainly good enough to waste a whole song's worth of time by chatting with the crowd if they wanted to. :)  But I like that they just get on with it and make the most out of the time they have.  Einar, the singer, says a few words here and there, but they keep it moving.  And aside from not taking too much time, I also think that just fits with their show.  Everything works together - not talking much, being very intense on stage, the lighting, it all works and goes with their music.  Which I don't at all think all sounds the same, but I understand why others might feel that way, especially if they haven't listened to them much.  (People have said that to me about Haken too, and I disagree there as well.)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: November 27, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »
I'll be the dissenting opinion on Leprous.  I saw them a couple times, once up front and once in the middle of the crowd.  I didn't have a problem with the lights at all.   I have had that problem with other bands and have found that I can usually move around until I find a spot where it's OK for me.  So maybe I was just lucky with where I was standing this time around.

As for their live performance - I like how little talking they do.  Their English is fine - certainly good enough to waste a whole song's worth of time by chatting with the crowd if they wanted to. :)  But I like that they just get on with it and make the most out of the time they have.  Einar, the singer, says a few words here and there, but they keep it moving.  And aside from not taking too much time, I also think that just fits with their show.  Everything works together - not talking much, being very intense on stage, the lighting, it all works and goes with their music.  Which I don't at all think all sounds the same, but I understand why others might feel that way, especially if they haven't listened to them much.  (People have said that to me about Haken too, and I disagree there as well.)

I agree. I saw them live once and had a blast (familiar with most of the songs though), would definitely go again.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3387 on: November 27, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »

I wouldn't argue with this post at all. Totally get it. I think the distance we were from the stage was a 'sweet spot' where most of the lights peak trajectories were hitting. It was brutal.

As far as Leprous performance and music....like I said, they were tight and 'sounded' good. I was/am just completely unfamiliar with them so it was all just a mass of music without distinction to me. But can see where if you knew them and their songs it'd have been a great show...which I witnessed fans who clearly 'knew' them having a great time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: November 27, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »
I really enjoyed them as well, I think they've gone down a too samey path with Malina, but there's a lot of good stuff there and as a first time seeing them, thought they were pretty awesome live.  I think the singer is fantastic.  I personally like a bit more crowd interaction, just something to let you know we are there, but I can live without the "same story every show" type of interaction some bands do.  If I had gotten some Bilateral songs live I think I'd be talking even more about how good they were live. 

Overall thought the pairing of those two bands was a fantastic idea although I wish both bands got 90 minutes and not 75.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3389 on: November 27, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »
Two general points of consensus with the group:

Bilateral is easily Leprous' best album and it's a shame they don't play more from it.

Their light show was awful, not from a performance perspective, but from how often lights ended up pointing into the audience and causing issues. There are literally parts during their show where I have to close my eyes for awhile.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: November 27, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
Bilateral is easily Leprous' best album and it's a shame they don't play more from it.

I'm wondering if the songs from Bilateral they played were somewhere around the 3rd to 5th songs in the set? Because there were a couple songs around that point in the set that really sounded good to me and had the crowd really on their side. Anyone familiar with the set they are playing know kind of 'where' the Bilateral songs fell in the set?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3391 on: November 27, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »
I checked setlist.fm and it looks like there were no Bilateral tracks in St. Louis. 

Song three was "From the Flame" which I really like and five was "The Price" which is their most viewed song on youtube.  The 4th song was a cover, I didn't know the original song, but I enjoyed it when I saw them although I'd rather have seen an original song personally since the sets aren't too long.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3392 on: November 27, 2018, 01:58:57 PM »
When I saw them in Montreal, they played Mb. Indifferentia from Bilateral. I think it was the 4th or 5th song.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3393 on: November 27, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »

I'm wondering if the songs from Bilateral they played were somewhere around the 3rd to 5th songs in the set? Because there were a couple songs around that point in the set that really sounded good to me and had the crowd really on their side. Anyone familiar with the set they are playing know kind of 'where' the Bilateral songs fell in the set?

Exactly what I felt. There was like a three song run that was solid, then they played that dreadful one someone sent me in my roulette a while back and I just cringed...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3394 on: November 27, 2018, 02:08:57 PM »
I only saw Leprous once and from the back, but their lighting didn't bother me. They're definitely going for a certain look, though. I'd say it's the James T Kirk as God look. All white and lots of fog.

Haken's light show did bug me a little. Leprous had a fair amount of movement in their lighting, but I didn't notice it strobe much. Haken used quite a bit of strobe. At the Dallas show I was behind some [really inept] moshers, and all of the strobing made it particularly hard to tell what was happening in front of me. Either I couldn't see somebody until they were right on top of me, or I'd see somebody coming and get ready to check them only to find they weren't moving at all (which really makes you look silly).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson