Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440917 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #2940 on: October 05, 2018, 02:51:46 PM »
What fascinates me is that the people who don't care for Haken generally cite the same two reasons. They don't like the singer and they feel like there's pointless wankery. Those are my two biggest problem with DT. Haken to me is a big improvement. I suspect my bewilderment for the people who adore DT and don't get Haken is pretty evenly reciprocated. Eh, there are some weird people in the world. SMH
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2941 on: October 05, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
James LaBrie in his prime is way above anything I expect Ross Jennings to achieve, but in terms of prog-wankery DT are the worse offenders IMO.

The weird sections of Haken songs may seem jarring at first but I always find them refreshing in the flow of the album. I can't say the same about Rudess' wankery and his solo tradeoffs with Petrucci.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2942 on: October 05, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »
The weird sections of Haken songs may seem jarring at first but I always find them refreshing in the flow of the album. I can't say the same about Rudess' wankery and his solo tradeoffs with Petrucci.

I find the wankery in Haken more interesting and original than in DT. The wankery in DT has become very predictable as me7 said.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2943 on: October 05, 2018, 05:34:27 PM »
James LaBrie in his prime is way above anything I expect Ross Jennings to achieve, but in terms of prog-wankery DT are the worse offenders IMO.

I totally agree with both points.

Jennings cannot touch LaBrie when it comes to greatness as a singer (in the studio).

And I have never thought Haken was that wanky.  Maybe it's because their wankery comes in the form of full band rhythmic blast-offs, as opposed to long sections with trading solos being a regular thing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: October 05, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:35:05 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline 425

« Reply #2945 on: October 05, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
What fascinates me is that the people who don't care for Haken generally cite the same two reasons. They don't like the singer and they feel like there's pointless wankery. Those are my two biggest problem with DT. Haken to me is a big improvement.

I think it might be fair to say that in Haken, generally, the wankery is more of a "here's some completely different musical style that you didn't expect" sort, while in DT it's generally more of a "here's a bunch of fast solos and some weird time signatures" thing. And then some people would prefer one or the other.

FWIW, between the two bands, I prefer Dream Theater. I think James is a stronger singer, I like that the keyboards have a stronger lead presence (whether it's KM, DS or JR), and I think DT's catalogue captures a greater range of styles and moods that line up with what I see as significant (while it's possible that could change as Haken's discography grows, I would say the same thing if DT's discography only included WDADU/IAW/Awake/ACOS/FII—four albums and an EP, the same as Haken's pre-Vector).

But that isn't to sell Haken short at all. I would put The Mountain and Aquarius right up among the top 4 or so DT albums. And I would actually disagree that Aquarius feels derivative of DT. That album has a distinct style all of its own. With Visions, I think the comparison has some real legitimacy.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2946 on: October 06, 2018, 02:45:05 AM »
And I would actually disagree that Aquarius feels derivative of DT. That album has a distinct style all of its own. With Visions, I think the comparison has some real legitimacy.

I agree with this. There are a few DT moments on Aquarius, but it definitely has its own style.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2947 on: October 06, 2018, 04:07:16 AM »
Rudess has a stronger lead presence (for better or worse) but what Tejeida does for the music in the background with his tasteful patches is IMO unparalleled in the modern prog world.

Offline 425

« Reply #2948 on: October 06, 2018, 07:21:34 AM »
Oh, Tejada does some awesome stuff for sure. I think it's again a matter of preference in terms of which approach one prefers. I just happen to prefer DT's.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2949 on: October 06, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »
First listen of Puzzle Box I thought it was kind of annoying but I'm starting to enjoy it, could've been shorter though but the chorus is :hefdaddy but I probably like The Good Doctor even better. This album is shaping up pretty nicely
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #2950 on: October 06, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »

I find the wankery in Haken more interesting and original than in DT. The wankery in DT has become very predictable as me7 said.

Besides the fact that I hate the word "wankery" (is an insulting word and concept to the musician and the people that actually likes those sections, where I personally focus on the riffs so I don't care about the million per seconds notes nonsense anyways)... I've always felt that the predictable band regarding these kind of sections is Haken.. They not only seem to create those sections just for the sake of it, but some of the riffs beneath the solos are very inspired in DT riffs.. The vibe of some sections sounds so similar... The same happens with BtBaM.. It's like they're trying to imitate (or maybe doing a homage, who knows, to) sections that are some of DT's quintessences..

When DT does it, maybe it could sometimes be like a little repetitive, but it feels anyways right because it sounds like them... when another band tries to do what they do, it feels a bit awkward... Not saying I don't like those sections.. I like them.. But every time I'm listening to them I think more in DT and the inspiration they gave to others band than the band that I'm actually listening to..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2951 on: October 06, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »

I totally agree with both points.

Jennings cannot touch LaBrie when it comes to greatness as a singer (in the studio).

And I have never thought Haken was that wanky.  Maybe it's because their wankery comes in the form of full band rhythmic blast-offs, as opposed to long sections with trading solos being a regular thing.
JLB is certainly the more gifted singer. Yet I'll happily trade a reasonable amount of talent to get to somebody that I don't find shrill and annoying. The criticism I hear of Jennings is that he's bland or generic. Compared to JLB that's very definitely true, but under the circumstances I'm obviously cool with that. Where I will give JLB props is for being the more expressive of the two. Jennings couldn't pull of SDoIT. By and large I'd take RJ any day, but he does limit the band somewhat with what they can do. JLB's versatility gives them opportunities that Haken won't get.

As for the wankery (and that is the most applicable term), with Haken I often find it to be stylistically linked to the story in some way. That's a good thing. It never seems to be there simply because that's what the fanbase expects.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2952 on: October 06, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
Jennings is his own thing. He’s the modern day Jon Anderson, and you either dig that style, or you don’t. Lots of people don’t like JA either.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2953 on: October 06, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
Jennings is his own thing. He’s the modern day Jon Anderson, and you either dig that style, or you don’t. Lots of people don’t like JA either.

He's far more annoying to me than Jon Anderson, but I get the analogy.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2954 on: October 06, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
I don’t understand how Ross’ voice can be annoying to some of you, it’s fine to me and it works well with Haken’s music. Don’t like when he growls, but I’m glad it’s only happened on a couple songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline 425

« Reply #2955 on: October 06, 2018, 11:02:28 PM »
He has a distinctive way of pronouncing some words. Particularly, it sometimes sounds like he's inserting an "R" sound into places where there is no "R" (I feel like this tendency has reduced over time). I can see how that would bother some people, though it does not bother me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2956 on: October 07, 2018, 01:40:44 AM »
I've never understood the criticism over Jennings' voice. At least it's not ridiculous like the bloke from ACDC or Axl Rose or whoever. It's a somewhat neutral, but still unique voice, absolutely perfect for Haken.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2957 on: October 07, 2018, 02:10:10 AM »
I've never had issues with vocals in Haken. It sounds like your typical progressive metal singer. And I don't mean typical in a negative way, it's more that I don't find it any more different or controversial than other singers in the genre.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: October 07, 2018, 02:12:59 AM »
I've never had any issue with Ross' vocals either. And I'm usually very picky when it comes to the vocals whenever I'm getting into a new band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2959 on: October 07, 2018, 08:00:54 AM »
He has a certain tone that still makes me wince (like when he sings the line "free from your burden" during Falling Back to Earth's chorus), but those moments are rare enough that I can deal with them.  And he does the background/wordless stuff really well.  The instrumental section in the middle of Celestial Elixir is still the greatest section of music they've ever done and his wordless singing at the very end is fantastic.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2960 on: October 07, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
The second half of Drowning in the Flood is among my favorite vocal moments in prog history.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2961 on: October 07, 2018, 11:39:52 PM »
The second half of Drowning in the Flood is among my favorite vocal moments in prog history.

Same! The "will we live to tell the taaaaale?" Part is SO good. The really low, powerful guitar there really brings it to another level too.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2962 on: October 08, 2018, 12:20:27 AM »
Generic? Typical? I can’t think of a single singer that sounds like him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2963 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »

This. Ross' voice is unique imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2964 on: October 08, 2018, 11:17:41 AM »

This. Ross' voice is unique imo.

Same. I really don't think he has a typical prog/metal voice.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #2965 on: October 08, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »
I've just come to say that The Mountain is still the best album I've ever listened to, my mind has not changed for the last 5 years.

About the new stuff, I like The Good Doctor as a single, but Puzzle Box is just OK for me, it's like they've written it in auto mode. They can do much better, for sure.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2966 on: October 08, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
I just listened to Puzzle Box for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the new album, I really need something new to listen to these days. So excited to see them in NYC in less than a month  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2967 on: October 09, 2018, 05:54:08 AM »
He has a distinctive way of pronouncing some words. Particularly, it sometimes sounds like he's inserting an "R" sound into places where there is no "R" (I feel like this tendency has reduced over time).

That's probably because British people don't usually pronounce r's and he's trying to cater to the American audience  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2968 on: October 09, 2018, 06:48:22 AM »
Wait...British people don’t pronounce R’s?
People who come from gReat bRiton don’t pronounce R’s?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2969 on: October 09, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »

They pronounce less r's than American people do. Have Arich send you an audio of him saying, car, care, nurse, poor and you'll see  :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2970 on: October 09, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
I just listened to Puzzle Box for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the new album, I really need something new to listen to these days. So excited to see them in NYC in less than a month  :metal

:metal I can't believe how quickly this is coming up, definitely looking forward to binging the album before the show

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2971 on: October 09, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »

They pronounce less r's than American people do. Have Arich send you an audio of him saying, car, care, nurse, poor and you'll see  :P
This isn't quite correct. It's true for some accents (like BBC English and most other accents from south east England). But most other regional accents have quite strong pronounciations of Rs, even in words that don't have Rs in them. The west country in particular is famous for it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: October 09, 2018, 07:23:12 AM »

This isn't quite correct. It's true for some accents (like BBC English and most other accents from south east England). But most other regional accents have quite strong pronounciations of Rs, even in words that don't have Rs in them. The west country in particular is famous for it.

Hmmm, I had no idear.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2973 on: October 09, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
Also, British people are no fun.....

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2974 on: October 10, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »