Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 437356 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2660 on: August 07, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
I find it remarkable that, at least as far as studio albums (and thus wider recognition) goes, Haken are entirely a product of this decade. Aquarius, their first album, came out in 2010. Now 8 years later, the arrival of album number 5 is on horizon, and it feels like a significant release in the progressive music world for this year, with plenty of anticipation for it, as this thread is currently demonstrating. Haken are certainly a contender to be among the defining prog bands of this decade, the way that Porcupine Tree defined the first decade of this 21st century.

As good a decade as Haken as had, I can't put them ahead of solo Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend or Neal Morse.

While I might agree with this, those guys have had years of experience making music BEFORE 2010 (with plenty of other groups, especially in the case of SW and NM), while Haken have only been around in THIS decade alone. Given that, they've put out a lot of quality stuff in such a short time. When they reach 20-25 years of making music, then you can probably compare them to where SW and NM are now.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2661 on: August 07, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »
I find it remarkable that, at least as far as studio albums (and thus wider recognition) goes, Haken are entirely a product of this decade. Aquarius, their first album, came out in 2010. Now 8 years later, the arrival of album number 5 is on horizon, and it feels like a significant release in the progressive music world for this year, with plenty of anticipation for it, as this thread is currently demonstrating. Haken are certainly a contender to be among the defining prog bands of this decade, the way that Porcupine Tree defined the first decade of this 21st century.

As good a decade as Haken as had, I can't put them ahead of solo Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend or Neal Morse.

Well, that's just a matter of taste and they've been doing it longer.  But everyone knows that you turned your back on Affinity and now it's turned to toxicity despite all the baconinity.
:lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: August 07, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
Yea, sure Wilson, Townsend, and Morse are more successful, they've also been around for much long and with experience with other bands as well.  Hard to really compare them to Haken when only looking at the last 10 years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2663 on: August 07, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »
Okay, but in the context of the post I was quoting, that basically gave PT the nod for the 00's even though they had been around since 1990, I thought what I said made sense.

But everyone knows that you turned your back on Affinity and now it's turned to toxicity despite all the baconinity.
:lol :rollin :lol

:lol :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2664 on: August 08, 2018, 03:42:05 AM »

Mike Portnoy could not have said it better.

MP would have thrown in something like "so proud of my boys" or something else that sounds like he thinks he's their mentor or they're some kind of students of his.

My first thought of MPs Vector post the other day was "man the dudes from Haken must be pissed that he's spoiling stuff and reveals information about the album before the band themselves did". Plus, he still managed to make the post about himself by mentioning Opus Maximus and advertising his own band. Man I don't know why he always has to do things like that.

That being said, I totally agree with Roe. Regarding quality, Haken are already among the greats like Steven, Neal or even Dream Theater for me.

Concerning the setlist: I remember talking to Richard about Earthlings right after the EP came out. He said that the band thought it wouldn't work so well in a live concert. I personally agree. And I feel similar about Bound By Gravity.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2665 on: August 08, 2018, 04:45:29 AM »
I believe he got the ok from Charlie to post about the album.   I read that somewhere.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: August 08, 2018, 04:51:47 AM »
I believe he got the ok from Charlie to post about the album.   I read that somewhere.

Yeah, ariich asked him on Twitter.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2667 on: August 08, 2018, 05:24:55 AM »
That's right.  Man, is it bad I already forgot that? Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #2668 on: August 08, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »
For those of us who don't "tweet" , what did Portnoy say?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2669 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2670 on: August 08, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
GOT MY TICKET IN HAND!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2671 on: August 09, 2018, 02:31:51 AM »

Is your direction misaligned?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2672 on: August 09, 2018, 06:10:58 AM »

Is your direction misaligned?

Not even sure what my work situation will be....so I'm literally playing this role with the cast of a die.   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2673 on: August 09, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »

Concerning the setlist: I remember talking to Richard about Earthlings right after the EP came out. He said that the band thought it wouldn't work so well in a live concert. I personally agree. And I feel similar about Bound By Gravity.

I don't agree at all.  Not every song has to rock live, and I think throwing in a few songs that bring it down a few notches for the whole song is always cool.  I know they have plenty of songs that go back and forth between rocking and mellow, but I don't see how songs like that wouldn't work.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2674 on: August 10, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »
That's disappointing to hear that he said that about Earthlings, it's actually one of my favorite Haken songs. I don't agree either that it wouldn't work well live.

I did get tickets to see them in NYC in November, I'm stoked that it's on a weekend again like last year in NYC. They've made my short list of bands that I make every effort not to miss when they're local.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2675 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
It was directly after Restoration was released, so 4 years ago, maybe they have changed their minds by now... I don't wanna kill you guys' hopes and dreams  :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2676 on: August 10, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
It was directly after Restoration was released, so 4 years ago, maybe they have changed their minds by now... I don't wanna kill you guys' hopes and dreams  :D

No, in a conversation with Hen more recently I was given the same impression. Not that it means it won't get played, but I doubt they are in any rush to dig it out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2677 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »
Also, on FB there were questions about set times on the upcoming tour and Haken's manager liked my comment saying I'd bet on equal 90 minute sets. So while that's not exactly official, it's certainly what I'd go by.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2678 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
It's a co-headline tour by two bands of roughly equal popularity. I would find it strange if one would get (much) more play-time than the other.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2679 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
It's a co-headline tour by two bands of roughly equal popularity. I would find it strange if one would get (much) more play-time than the other.

As would I, this was more a confirmation that the equal time is likely 90 minutes.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2680 on: August 10, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »

As would I, this was more a confirmation that the equal time is likely 90 minutes.

If the set list is fairly even, hopefully Leprous will play a song or two from TPS or Bilateral.  Not really counting on it though.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2681 on: August 10, 2018, 07:12:24 PM »
Even though I like The Architect a lot, even if Haken is only getting 90 minutes, I'd rather they not dedicate 15-16 minutes to it, but I have a feeling they will, simply so Einar Solberg can come out and do the harsh vocals like he did on the studio version.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2682 on: August 10, 2018, 07:44:36 PM »
Even though I like The Architect a lot, even if Haken is only getting 90 minutes, I'd rather they not dedicate 15-16 minutes to it, but I have a feeling they will, simply so Einar Solberg can come out and do the harsh vocals like he did on the studio version.

I've been pondering that, and it presents an interesting dilemma. I'm sure they'd like to do it, but The Architect isn't an early in the set kinda song, but you're certainly not going to make Einar sit around while Haken sets up and be ready an hour later every night, not fair to him. So I can honestly see them skipping the song just so they don't have to try to impose on him on a nightly basis.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: August 10, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »
And with the new songs slightly long, they will take up the time making the older, shorter songs ideal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2684 on: August 10, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
You guys are probably right.  :tup :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2685 on: August 11, 2018, 02:07:03 AM »
He did come out a couple of times the last time Haken & Leprous toured, right? I’m pretty sure I saw footage of Einar doing the harsh vocals once.

In Romania two weeks ago Einar did it and it was amazing :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »

I've been pondering that, and it presents an interesting dilemma. I'm sure they'd like to do it, but The Architect isn't an early in the set kinda song, but you're certainly not going to make Einar sit around while Haken sets up and be ready an hour later every night, not fair to him. So I can honestly see them skipping the song just so they don't have to try to impose on him on a nightly basis.

Bands regularly have a singer from an opening act come out later during the headliner.  It's not uncommon although I've always wondered what the dynamic is for the singer to kind of come down from their show then get back up to come out for a song.  I'd rather see them not play it though, on a shorter set list, I'd rather see the 15 minutes spent somewhere else.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2687 on: August 12, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
He did come out a couple of times the last time Haken & Leprous toured, right? I’m pretty sure I saw footage of Einar doing the harsh vocals once.

In Romania two weeks ago Einar did it and it was amazing :biggrin:

Yes, I believe he did, but those were a handful of dates and a one off, not a month long tour. Not saying it won't happen, it very well may, but it just seems like a lot of constraint on Einar for 10 seconds of stage time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2688 on: August 13, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »
Finally grabbed my tix for the St. Louis show  :metal     Like Kev mentioned.....it's a General Admission so gonna make sure to get there early to snag a good spot
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2689 on: August 14, 2018, 05:33:10 AM »
"Vector, like Baconector"?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2690 on: August 14, 2018, 05:40:35 AM »
Haken v.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: August 14, 2018, 06:10:03 AM »
Yeah a new thread title would be smashing.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: August 14, 2018, 06:47:47 AM »
Finally grabbed my tix for the St. Louis show  :metal     Like Kev mentioned.....it's a General Admission so gonna make sure to get there early to snag a good spot

For the NYC show, it's GA, but there is VIP seating (and a minimum tab).  I had never been to that venue before seeing Haken there last year, but while the VIP seating didn't seem to be a better seat (it's along the perimeter of the floor of the venue) I do recall seeing people standing on the seats (which would then give the best view).  Hoping to be able to do that for this show.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2693 on: August 14, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
I know most here won't get it, but I'd love something like Haken v. Secure your home.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
Haken v. like the number