Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440934 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #2100 on: July 30, 2017, 12:14:34 AM »
Interestingly, Affinity is my least favorite album of theirs. But it might be because for some reason, I never really listen to it. Every time I do, I think to myself "woah this album rips! Why don't I listen to it more often?" but then the next day I still just listen to Visions or Aquarius or The Mountain instead...
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: July 30, 2017, 02:37:46 AM »
I'd rank them this way:

1. The Mountain
2. Affinity
3. Aquarius
4. Visions
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2102 on: July 30, 2017, 06:59:16 AM »
Once I got into all of their albums, which admittedly took quite a bit of time, Affinity became the album I listened to the least.  I thought it was their best album a year ago, but now I think it is probably my least favorite.  Still a very good effort, and most of it is really good, but the others are just better, I think.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2103 on: July 30, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
I find that Affinity has some GREAT songs, but, as an album, it doesn't rank too high for me either. Songs like BBG and Earthrise just don't feel right to me. The Mountain is a complete masterpiece.

I rank them:

1. The Mountain
2. Visions
3. Affinity
4. Aquarius
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2104 on: July 31, 2017, 04:44:47 AM »
YAY RANKINGS

1. The Mountain
2. Affinity
3. Restoration EP
4. Visions
5. Aquarius
6. Demo

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2105 on: July 31, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
I feel like this is the third or fourth time I'm doing rankings in this thread. :lol

1. The Mountain
2. Aquarius
3. Affinity
4. Visions
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2106 on: July 31, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
I find that Affinity has some GREAT songs, but, as an album, it doesn't rank too high for me either. Songs like BBG and Earthrise just don't feel right to me. The Mountain is a complete masterpiece.

I rank them:

1. The Mountain
2. Visions
3. Affinity
4. Aquarius
I think I might agree with this ranking the most, though Affinity might beat out Visions depending upon the day. Maybe.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2107 on: July 31, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »
1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Visions
4. Aquarius
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2108 on: July 31, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »
1. The Mountain
2. Aquarius
3. Affinity
4. Visions

If I included Restoration it would be on par with Affinity.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2109 on: July 31, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Restoration

4. Aquarius

5. Visions

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2110 on: July 31, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
Seems like many people here don't like Visions too much, can I ask why? I think it took all the good elements from Aquarius, but with a much more cohesive and mature sound.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2111 on: July 31, 2017, 02:13:36 PM »
Seems like many people here don't like Visions too much, can I ask why? I think it took all the good elements from Aquarius, but with a much more cohesive and mature sound.

Lack of good melodies and annoying instrumental parts imo.
Also Aquarius has Celestial Elixir, that song alone is better than the whole Visions album.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2112 on: July 31, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Restoration

4. Aquarius

5. Visions

Perfect  :tup
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2113 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
I'd probably rank as follows:

1. The Mountain
2. Affinity
3. Visions
4. Aquarius
5. Restoration

To be honest Affinity and Visions are very close. I think Affinity is a better album but the song Visions is easily my favourite Haken song, so there's that.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: August 01, 2017, 02:19:47 AM »
1. Affinity
2. The Mountain
3. Visions

4. Restoration

5. Aquarius

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2115 on: August 01, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »

I totally agree with you. Love Visions and might even rate it higher then The Mountain with Affinity being my number 1.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2116 on: August 01, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
I still think TM is their masterpiece. Visions is a close second for me, just love the whole vibe of the album.

Affinity is a mixed bag for me, love half of the album (Initiate, 1985, Lapse, The Architect and The Endless Knot) but the other half doesn't really do too much for me. I'm starting to like Red Giant more, though. Earthrise and BBG? Nothing.

Aquarius is a pretty solid debut album, in fact, Celestial Elixir was the first Haken song I listened to and was inmediately sold, but some other stuff just doesn't work, like those growls in the middle of streams  :huh:

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2117 on: August 01, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
I'm just listening to The Mountain and it's definitly best Haken album for me. Almost every song clicked from the first time, and I love that bass soooo much.... on every album to be precise ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2118 on: August 01, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
I still think TM is their masterpiece. Visions is a close second for me, just love the whole vibe of the album.

Affinity is a mixed bag for me, love half of the album (Initiate, 1985, Lapse, The Architect and The Endless Knot) but the other half doesn't really do too much for me. I'm starting to like Red Giant more, though. Earthrise and BBG? Nothing.

Aquarius is a pretty solid debut album, in fact, Celestial Elixir was the first Haken song I listened to and was inmediately sold, but some other stuff just doesn't work, like those growls in the middle of streams  :huh:

I was really lukewarm on BBG for awhile. But then I saw it in a fan video over some nature shots (since been removed....total bummer) and that ending just hit me really hard. That song is literally like  sex with really slow foreplay followed by an amazing pay off!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: August 04, 2017, 05:18:13 AM »
They just released a music video for 'Lapse'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdabtT7mUGI

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: August 04, 2017, 06:03:26 AM »

:metal cool video, I'm guessing they plan on playing it this tour

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2121 on: August 04, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
There's a bit of a campaign to gauge/generate support for the label to support a Haken DVD release. Someone set up a pretty basic way to get people to express interest for now using Google Docs, but encourage anyone vaguely interested to tick the box (just needs a valid email address).

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1l2IileRs0TydxDccQg24NwfIQxiUW22ycD61Ysv1r4c/edit

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2122 on: August 04, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
Just did Rich!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2123 on: August 04, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
I did it too! I've been waiting for a Haken live DVD (or, at least some good pro-shot footage) for ages!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2124 on: August 04, 2017, 10:41:04 PM »
DONE

There is ONE soundboard recording I've found on Youtube. Celestial Elixir from Progpower a few years ago. THAT is what actually hooked me.

SO YES for a live album. YES YES YES
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2125 on: August 05, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »
So hilarious that the only option is "Yes". I mean, I can't see anyone not wanting one, so I guess having a "No" option would technically be pointless, but still. xD
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: August 06, 2017, 10:07:56 AM »
Done as well.  I saw a lot of those comments on facebook.  Honestly though, if the band isn't quite there yet to be a full time thing, I can see why maybe a live DVD is not something the label wants to do yet.  However, the ability to make these is easier these days I believe.  They are headlining a night at progpower this year.  Progpower has the cameras set up and Pagan's Mind and Seventh Wonder have used it before to make DVDs (Pagan's Mind blu-ray is amazing quality).  I think it could be done.  I'd buy it, I love concert videos.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2127 on: August 06, 2017, 11:28:29 AM »
The reality is that out of those 400 or so entries, I'm estimating that only 200-300 would be sold. In my opinion, a crowd funding campaign would be a better way to go. A campaign, that if the funds are not reached, then the show wouldn't be filmed so everybody doesn't lose any money (including band and label).

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2128 on: August 06, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
The reality is that out of those 400 or so entries, I'm estimating that only 200-300 would be sold. In my opinion, a crowd funding campaign would be a better way to go. A campaign, that if the funds are not reached, then the show wouldn't be filmed so everybody doesn't lose any money (including band and label).
Crowdfunding a live dvd worked for Leprous. But I think the idea here is more to see if there's any substantial interest at all.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2129 on: August 06, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
That's a good point. Might mention that to Ray or Hen next time I speak to them to see if they've considered it.

But I think the idea here is more to see if there's any substantial interest at all.
As I understand it, that's right. Just to have something to say to the label "just from some quick interest-gauging on facebook and some internet forums hundreds/thousands of people have expressed an interest".

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2130 on: August 06, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »
Crowdfunding a live dvd worked for Leprous. But I think the idea here is more to see if there's any substantial interest at all.

Crowdfunding worked for Circus Maximus as well. I think Haken could pull it off very well, specially now that the Haken Heaven official Facebook group has more than 2k people in it, they could reach a large amount of fans pretty easily.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2131 on: August 16, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
Just checked out how tickets were selling for HAKEN for their St. Louis show and it looks like there are only (8) regular seats left and a handful of standing room. the venue is only a 750 seat venue but considering there were probably 100 seats still open for The Neal Morse band when they were in town....it'll be neat to see a sold out show..
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2132 on: August 16, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »

:metal cool video, I'm guessing they plan on playing it this tour

Yes, I like it a lot.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: August 19, 2017, 12:28:35 AM »
https://youtu.be/aLSmk1p9Fi0

A short interview with Hen and Charlie, and then a live clip of 1985 in full.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2134 on: August 19, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »
Cool interview and awesome performance (bar a couple of moments in the backing vocals :lol)

I be am boner inducing.