Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 441282 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1365 on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
I've seen them play Cockroach King live. :biggrin:

6 times. :biggrin:
.You are a whore. :lol

I prefer the term disciple.

More like disciple of the cockroach, choking on the roach of phallusy

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1366 on: May 23, 2016, 11:54:52 PM »
Painting a pig...... :biggrin:

Well,  Rich out whores us all!
Nick is slowly catching up. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1367 on: May 27, 2016, 02:17:38 AM »
Last night's gig at The Garage in London was just so damn good.

The sound was decent enough at the back - apparently it was terrible right at the front, and the guitars were barely audible. This is why it's always better to stand back a bit.

Performances were solid.

Setlist was pretty amazing (I won't post it here because spoilers, but it can be seen easily on setlist.fm).

The most exciting thing though was how big, and enthusiastic, the crowd was. The queue was stretching up the road when doors opened - something I've never seen at a Haken show before, and the venue was pretty packed once Haken were on stage. And the crowd were totally into it - serious amounts of singing along and throwing hands in the air, which is hard enough to get at a prog gig in the UK, but definitely a big step up for Haken.

Highlights (with SPOILERS), which incidentally cover possibly my three favourite Haken songs:
 - Deathless was beautiful, the instrumental second half really got me emotionally.
 - Endless Knot was outrageously good, and seeing 600 prog fans dance to the dubstep breakdown from friggin' awesome.
 - Falling Back to Earth reminded me that, as much as I absolutely adore Affinity, nothing on it quite matches up.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1368 on: May 27, 2016, 03:26:36 AM »
So, setlist spoilers ahead from me too guys.

- I'm not a big fan of Deathless but it seems they plan to keep on playing it. It's still an awesome song but I don't like it nearly as much as the other Visions song of the same length, Shapeshifter.

- I thought they were balancing out the setlists across all albums? Aquarius only had one song the last 2 days and Visions had 2. I love The Mountain so you don't see me complaining, but it doesn't seem balanced at all to me.

- Cockroach King AND Falling Back To Earth :metal :metal played on both nights!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1369 on: May 27, 2016, 03:54:11 AM »
Yeah, it wasn't even slightly balanced. :lol Half the songs were from Affinity, a quarter from The Mountain, and the rest spread across the remaining albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1370 on: May 27, 2016, 04:50:36 AM »
Yeah, seems like Crystallised as the encore is going to be a trend too, that atleast slightly balances it out. Though it's probably my least favorite of the 'epics' and I would love to see Celestial Elixir live, but I doubt it'll happen today.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1371 on: May 27, 2016, 05:02:03 AM »
Yeah, Crystallised and The Architect are definitely my least favourites of their "epics", and they take up quite a lot of the set. Both have lots of great stuff in them though, and the rest of the set was pretty spectacular.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: May 27, 2016, 08:12:59 AM »
Yeah, Crystallised and The Architect are definitely my least favourites of their "epics", and they take up quite a lot of the set. Both have lots of great stuff in them though, and the rest of the set was pretty spectacular.

:whatisthisidonteven:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1373 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »
Falling Back To Earth has got to be the most overrated Haken song imo. I mean it's pretty good, but nowhere near the top of the album for me.
Celestial Elixir and The Architect are probably the best epics so far.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: May 27, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »
I think FBTE is their best song. Awesome from start to finish.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1375 on: May 27, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
Crystalized, to me, is not only their best song, but one of the best and most cohesive epics I've ever heard!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1376 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »
Crystalized, to me, is not only their best song, but one of the best and most cohesive epics I've ever heard!
This. And surprises me how few people here has this taste/opinion. Well, of course, that's fine!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1377 on: May 27, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »
This. And surprises me how few people here has this taste/opinion. Well, of course, that's fine!
Obviously different tastes and all. I can understand why some people love it so much (I still think it's great), but "cohesive"? No way. I mean, for the most part yeah, it's going so well, but the wacky instrumental towards the end is just so out of place, even by Haken standards, and that's something that rarely bothers me. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1378 on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »
I think the weakest part of Crystallised is the finale. It feels a bit too much like epic finale just for the sake of epic finale because long songs are "supposed" to end that way. The instrumental section doesn't bother me at all. I absolutely love the rest though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1379 on: May 27, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »
 It might be a bit cliché, but those types of things became cliché for a reason. When they are well done, they are perfect! And the ending of Crystalized is perfect!

Offline 425

« Reply #1380 on: May 27, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
I did not like Crystallised at all for a while, but when Restoration clicked for me a few weeks ago, I came to really like it. I still don't know where I'd rank it among the epics, though. Pretty much every song Haken has made is really good, so it wouldn't matter much where I ranked it if I wasn't a DTF member.  ;)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1381 on: May 27, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »
Well, that was awesome!! I only just came home.
More details later, including the ToN/Elite meetup. Oh, the setlist was pretty good too ;)

:D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1382 on: May 27, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
Crystallised has some really good moments, and the ending is nice, but as a whole, it cannot touch Celestial Elixir.  I'm still not completely sold on the vast majority of this band's material, but that song is terrific.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: May 27, 2016, 07:55:40 PM »
Crystalized is one of my favorite Haken songs.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1384 on: May 28, 2016, 12:46:16 AM »
It might be a bit cliché, but those types of things became cliché for a reason. When they are well done, they are perfect!

Definetely, but I don't think it's perfect in Crystallised. The epic ending to The Architect may be a perfect epic ending for me.

Still love Crystallised as a whole though, and it's still in my top 3 Haken songs.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1385 on: May 28, 2016, 02:51:50 AM »
Saw Haken last night, damn! Good show folks.

Highlights were the ending of The Architect, during the Initiate reprise, that's gotta be one of the most epic Haken moments. Cockroach King goes without saying, brilliant song and great live.

In the end I'm glad they didn't balance the setlist too much because I got to hear my favorite songs off every album (except Visions), wouldn't care for one or two Affinity omissions, Earthrise or something, but since it's the affinitour it's understandable.

As it was kinda the first prog concert I've been to I had no idea what the crowds were like. Apparently a bit more passive and kind of immersed into the music or something? Had to get used to this but I slowly adapted. :D

Aaand I met Elite during the break between Special Providence (these guys have one hell of a keyboard player) and Haken :tup was great to meet up. Those band video's really come in handy, otherwise I'd have never recognized you :lol

Crystallised has some really good moments, and the ending is nice, but as a whole, it cannot touch Celestial Elixir.
Same here, I loved the acapella section live (listening to it at home I don't really care for it) and the chorus is a-ma-zing but I have a hard time listening to the whole thing without losing attention. Celestial Elixir on the other hand...

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1386 on: May 28, 2016, 03:12:43 AM »
Falling Back To Earth has got to be the most overrated Haken song imo. I mean it's pretty good, but nowhere near the top of the album for me.
Celestial Elixir and The Architect are probably the best epics so far.

WAT

I also think it's probably their best song. Powerful verses, celestial chorus, and that second half of the song... 10/10 would listen forever.

By the way, I've one question for those who have already been to one of their gigs. Seeing that Haken play for around 2 hours, how much do the other bands play? At what time starts and ends the whole thing?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1387 on: May 28, 2016, 03:29:50 AM »
Arkentype played about 30 mins, Special Providence maybe 45? Bit hard to tell with the latter, as their music gets a bit samey after a while.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1388 on: May 28, 2016, 04:42:24 AM »
Train, you missed the special encore :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1389 on: May 28, 2016, 05:03:24 AM »
I know, I can't believe it man.. still kicking myself for this, I just couldn't stay any longer as I just barely caught the last train to Amsterdam . Part of me thought Crystallised was the last song too as it was the case for the other shows but I knew they hadn't done an encore yet. I just wish they swapped them around, Celestial Elixir is my favorite epic and Crystallised is probably my least favorite.

Apparently I wasn't alone in this, or maybe some people were just tired, but really didn't expect the entire show to last longer than 4 hours.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1390 on: May 28, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
Well, now I can finally look forward to hearing Celestial Elixir if things work out! I'll catch several shows on the US tour, so even if it's not played every night, I'm hopeful.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1391 on: May 28, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »
I really have tried, but I just can't get into this band.  The music is mostly amazing, but the vocals are so flat and droning, that it just kills it for me.  I can't seem to identify any real hooks or melodies, even in the choruses. 

Endless Knot is great, but it needs a big melody to contrast against the djenty parts.  1985 has an amazing keyboard and guitar solo and I love the ominous building chord sequence that comes afterwards.  The rest of the song just bores me though.

I can't stress enough how much I want to like this band, but I just can't do it.  I've known them since the Aquarius days (Celestial Elixir is great) and always come back to them periodically to see whether anything has changed...
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1392 on: May 28, 2016, 05:15:58 PM »
It took a VERY long time for me to get into Haken's vocals, but now I adore Ross.
imo Endless Knot has enough melody. It's a perfect song and one of my favourites from Haken.
I agree that the first half of 1985 is pretty lackluster compared to the second one, but is it boring? I wouldn't say so.

I totally get why some people wouldn't like Haken though. To be honest the point you have brought up is what defines Leprous for me. I can't stand the vocals, the music is pretty good at times but ultimately most of the songs I've heard I found boring.  :justjen

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #1393 on: May 28, 2016, 05:34:41 PM »
I'm gonna keep trying, because I know the problem must be me, not them!  To be honest, having noted the bands that have their own threads on this subforum may explain the Haken thing for me.  I'm coming at them from a Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder angle and it seems most of their fans are more into Steven Wilson, Opeth, Periphery, etc.

I suppose my musical centre leans more towards the melodic metal sort of stuff. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:40:09 PM by Thematt202 »
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1394 on: May 28, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »
The setlist looks amazing. I would trade Cockroach King (which, although I like very much, has been quite overplayed IMO) for another song off The Mountain or from Aquarius and it would be ready to go.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1395 on: May 29, 2016, 12:07:33 AM »
Cockroach King is probably going to go down as one of their signature songs that gets played nearly every concert.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1396 on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »
It already is.
Squ

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1397 on: May 29, 2016, 06:33:38 AM »
Makes me want to go see Haken that much more :neverusethis:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1398 on: May 29, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
Cockroach King is probably going to go down as one of their signature songs that gets played nearly every concert.

For a long time, people thought that this was going to be Pull Me Under with DT.   But then, one tour, they just didn't.   And no one blinked an eye.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1399 on: May 29, 2016, 09:53:15 AM »
I can see that, except I'm not thinking of Cockroach King as a "hit" as much as just a song they really like and seems to go down well live. I'm thinking more along the lines of Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden. That's not to say they'll play it at every concert like Maiden does, but I could see it eventually becoming their most played song.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods