Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 441461 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #1260 on: May 19, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
Does anyone else get a slight Mars Volta vibe from the chorus of Lapse, or is that just me?

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1261 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »
What's up with everyone liking The Mountain so much? It's by far my least favorite Haken record.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1262 on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
because it's the best by far  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1263 on: May 19, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
What's up with everyone liking The Mountain so much? It's by far my least favorite Haken record.

Are you actually surprised though? It's not like everyone hated it and all of a sudden it's the best Haken album, it's left that impression on me since the very first listen.

:corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1264 on: May 19, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »

Because people love the Cockroach. I mean it's the worst Haken song ever, but people love it here.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: May 19, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »

I'm with you here, I know there's lots of people that love it but I think it's their worst effort to date.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1266 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
worst haken song is the minds eye tbh which is still a pretty solid song so

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1267 on: May 19, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

Because people love the Cockroach. I mean it's the worst Haken song ever, but people love it here.

I SYMPATHIIIIIIZE, WITH A COCKROACH,

AND A COCKROACH!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1268 on: May 19, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1269 on: May 19, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »

How can Cockroach King be the worst Haken song ever  :omg: :omg: :omg:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1270 on: May 19, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »

The Mind's Eye isn't even the worst song on Visions imo.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1271 on: May 19, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
When I think of The Mind's Eye in the context of the TME/Portals/Shapeshifter trilogy, it becomes a lot stronger (though it's good on its own too, even though the track doesn't have a proper standalone ending).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1272 on: May 19, 2016, 02:58:17 PM »
actually I forgot about restoration tbh but I'd still take darkest light over minds eye slightly

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: May 19, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »

:whatisthisidonteven:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: May 19, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
Mind's Eye gets a bad rap. It's terribly underrated.

My least favorite Haken song is Nocturnal Conspiracy. It's just so boring to me, but apparently tons of people like it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1275 on: May 19, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »
While The Mountain isn't my favorite Haken album (it's my #3), I do consider it the album where they truly defined themselves. The two albums before it, while great, sounded a bit like they were still developing their sound.

And I think Cockroach King is really cool, but it's not my favorite on the album. It's somewhere in the middle for me.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1276 on: May 19, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »

How can Cockroach King be the worst Haken song ever  :omg: :omg: :omg:

The video of cockroach with the muppets is funny

The mountain rules!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1277 on: May 19, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »
I won't bag on Cockroach King anymore, since I've stated my dislike for it more than enough :p, but I will say that aside from that song, The Mountain is consistently very good. Most of the Haken songs I like are from it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1278 on: May 19, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
Cockroach King is delightfully quirky in a way that no other Haken song really is. I wouldn't want an album full of songs like that, but I think it's perfect for what it is.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:39:31 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: May 19, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
And I think Cockroach King is really cool, but it's not my favorite on the album. It's somewhere in the middle for me.

Ditto for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1280 on: May 19, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Cockroach King is delightfully quirky in a way that no other Haken song really is. I wouldn't want on album full of songs like that, but I think it's perfect for what it is.

exactly

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1281 on: May 19, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
Nah. I just can't stand listening to it. Everything from the instruments to the vocals just puts me off.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1282 on: May 19, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
DT12 is one album I regret buying, but it ended with my DT fanboyism so it was worth it I guess? Oh, back to Haken...

The Mountain is their best album and they'll never surpass it. And I'm fine with that  :smiley:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1283 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
I don't get the "I regret" stuff. DT12 is not bad. It's average. I Olympic regret terrible albums. It's not at that bad level. 

On the Haken front,  I just love the last two albums a ton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1284 on: May 19, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
I don't get the "I regret" stuff. DT12 is not bad. It's average. I Olympic regret terrible albums. It's not at that bad level. 
This. Sometimes I get the feeling on this forum that some people actively want to dislike DT. It's bizarre. Every time Haken does something there has to be a discussion on how much better than DT they are. I don't know why it matters.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1285 on: May 19, 2016, 06:57:19 PM »
This. Sometimes I get the feeling on this forum that some people actively want to dislike DT. It's bizarre. Every time Haken does something there has to be a discussion on how much better than DT they are. I don't know why it matters.

Because DT12 is bad, not average.  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1286 on: May 19, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
i'd like DT more nowadays if they were putting out better music  :corn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: May 19, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »
Please. It's not that bad. People exaggerate to make a point.

Folks. I have really enjoyed the last 2 Haken albums more than DT.  That doesn't lessen my love for DT.  It's not  race, ranking or a list. It's my love for music. Sometimes bands kill it. Sometimes they miss the mark.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1288 on: May 19, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »
Haken lacks something DT had very early on: Their huge MTV exposure/huge brand endorsement and recognition that came to them during the I&W tour.

I can't see any 'prog metal' band being bigger than DT in the near future for that very simple reason. I love Haken with all my heart and I do think that the future of prog lies with them, but I can't see them playing Madison Square Garden ever, you know? They're probably gonna stay as the new poster boys of prog, playing awesome shows to 1000 peeps per night, but I can't imagine them going further (as DT did back in their time). Hope I'm wrong, tho. These guys deserve the best.

Also, a big lol and facepalm at the people comparing The Astonishing and Affinity.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1289 on: May 19, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
DT is a fluke. Even they werent able to replicate the success they had with PMU. But they more or less defined a genre, which very few can say.

One thing to also keep in mind is that DT of the early 90s had a lot traits that were fashionable in Metal at the time. I don't think it's a coincidence that glam metal gets discussed as frequently as it does by some of the older members here. If a Prog metal band was to hit DT level success again, it'd have to be a band that embraces trendy sounds.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
Haken lacks something DT had very early on: Their huge MTV exposure/huge brand endorsement and recognition that came to them during the I&W tour.

I can't see any 'prog metal' band being bigger than DT in the near future for that very simple reason. I love Haken with all my heart and I do think that the future of prog lies with them, but I can't see them playing Madison Square Garden ever, you know? They're probably gonna stay as the new poster boys of prog, playing awesome shows to 1000 peeps per night, but I can't imagine them going further (as DT did back in their time). Hope I'm wrong, tho. These guys deserve the best.

Also, a big lol and facepalm at the people comparing The Astonishing and Affinity.

Anen.  I'm just happy I got to see them live,,

Offline 425

« Reply #1291 on: May 19, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »

Cockroach King has very little to do with why I love The Mountain. It's one of my less favorite of the main songs on there—still very, very good, but just not in my list of favorites. The album is just impressive all the way through. Each and every song is fantastic. It's really just one of those that's fantastic top to bottom. I know it has its big fans, but I don't get why you would think that Cockroach King is THE reason people like The Mountain? ???

The Mind's Eye is pretty cool though. I'd rate it ahead of Insomnia. Which I guess is the worst Haken song? I don't know. Or Streams. Or Darkest Light. Or something from Affinity, idk. But either way, "worst Haken song" is like "least beautiful Miss Universe contestant."

Because DT12 is bad, not average.  :hat

DT12 is, in fact, neither bad nor average. It's actually really good.

Mosh, I get that sense sometimes, too. Then again, I think there's a general trend among music fans to describe a band's early material as better than it is and their later material as worse than it is, and I think that may play into how DT12 and TA get talked about.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1292 on: May 19, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
Mosh, I get that sense sometimes, too. Then again, I think there's a general trend among music fans to describe a band's early material as better than it is and their later material as worse than it is, and I think that may play into how DT12 and TA get talked about.

For sure. DT is definitely in that stage of their career where there's always going to be naysayers for the new stuff, it just seems weird to me that a forum dedicated to the band has such a vocal (albeit small) segment of posters who seem almost proud of themselves for not liking DT anymore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1293 on: May 19, 2016, 08:52:27 PM »
Sometimes I get the feeling on this forum that some people actively want to dislike DT. It's bizarre. Every time Haken does something there has to be a discussion on how much better than DT they are. I don't know why it matters.

I don't get it either.  It's like some Haken fans can't just enjoy their music; they have to make it a contest.  It's weird.

Agreed.  The Astonishing is so much better that it is definitely LOL-worthy to compare Affinity to it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1294 on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Exactly that, I don't want average albums sitting on my shelves accumulating dust because I never play them - I haven't listened to DT12 in almost 2 years now.

And I still love some DT records, like Six Degrees and Awake  :metal I just think after the former they went downhill.