Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. Happy,Sad and Sadder  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Hello everyone for the third time! It's me again,Lolzeez.(Or you can just call me by my name,Onat) I'm going to do my third Top 50 list. I really love doing these lists cause i can look back and see how my tastes have changed. I'm not the "proghead" or the "metalhead" i used to be. I'm just one of those pretentious "musicheads" now.

Don't worry,i'm not one of those hipsters who checks out Pitchfork for "Be st New Music" or watched TheNeedleDrop on Youtube to form his/her opinion on music. (Not his/her opinion now is it?) Currently I'm into every music genre. Sure,I'm not huge on EDM or Synth Pop and I still hate Invisible Touch by Genesis. (I still think that record is mindless muzak.) Anyways,I'm gonna be updating this thread soon with my first 3 albums and here are couple honorable mentions:

The Beatles - Abbey Road (Wonderful record from The Beatles,my favorite along with Revolver.
David Bowie - Low (Incredible first side on this record with catchy art pop songs after another,the second side isn't bad it's just that I'm not huge on ambient music. I still love the record)
Swans - To Be Kind (I thought this was a 10/10 after my first listen. It's still a perfect album imo but it's not that enjoyable. It's like a requiem. It's one of the most difficult albums I've ever sat through. I love the record to bits and I own it on vinyl. It's also a bit too recent to be on the list.)
Camel - Mirage (One of my favorites from the 70s prog scene. Excellent use of mellotrons all over this thing.)
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (Extremely awesome stoner rock record that just rocks the whole way through)
The Strokes - Is This It (Really good Garage Rock record that is short and sweet with a lot of catchy tunes)
The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - Whenever, If Ever (One of the best Midwest Emo records I've ever heard,let's see if it will stand the test of time.)

That should do it for honorable mentions,I highly recommend those records though,all of them have gotten me through some bad times. Especially Whenever,If Ever. I guess first three albums coming soon!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:45:21 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (Version 3,I'm 17 years old now)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
I guess I'm one of those Needle Drop hipsters. :(

Anyhow, will follow!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
Gonna follow this. Some nice honorable mentions you got there  :tup
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
I guess I'm one of those Needle Drop hipsters. :(

Anyhow, will follow!
It's okay I got into so many artists thanks to Anthony.

Gonna follow this. Some nice honorable mentions you got there  :tup
Thank you! First three albums are coming once i'm done studying...which i should start doing now.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:13 AM »
Some great honorable mentions. Will follow. :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
As I told ya, I shall follow this thread! :biggrin: I should also make my own list at some point when I'm not too busy.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. It begins!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
Well,here it goes!

50.Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)

Starting out with a really calm and depressing singer songwriter record from Nick Drake. Nick Drake is one of my favorite singer songwriters and he’s also criminally underrated. His music is some of the most gorgeous and most sincere singer songwriter music of all time. Like a Dylan level. Drake has a very calm and depressed voice. It just sounds like he’s been through some pain and it just paints the image of a guy laying on a hill watching the stars with tears dropping from his eyes and smoking a cigarette. There are some tracks on here that are not as good as the rest such as Horn. But I actually love that track. It sounds like death to me. It’s a very sharp and sad track. It truly gives the shock of death and to me that is just amazing. My favorite track on the record is the one following Horn,Things Behind The Sun. The riff on the song is just melancholy at its finest and the lyrics combined with Drake’s delivery really show off some emotion. One thing done really well on the records are surprisingly the titles of the tracks. It’s like Drake put a lot of thought to them. I really love that aspect to the record. It might be a short sad singer songwriter record but songwriting is just something special.

Favorite Track:Things Behind The Sun

49.Death Grips - The Money Store (2012)

Okay,if you are not into hip hop or industrial music,you’re going to absolutely hate this record at first listen. But funnily enough this is my first proper hip hop record. I tried so hard to like Death Grips cause i wanted to be cool just like the other kids. The Needle Drop gave this record a 10/10 which made a huge number of people scratch their heads and start listening to this record. It opens up with Get Got which is an excellent opening track. The noisy beat backed by the great industrial drums just shocks you and doubled with frontman MC Ride’s gritty lyrics,the song hits hard. This is where the first listener goes “Just what the fuck is this?” and turns it off. But stay for the second track cause that’s where you will notice the genius of Death Grips,The Fever (Aye Aye) has one of the best hooks that have ever been created. The chorus is incredibly catchy and Ride’s delivery is just spot on. This song just blasts. Another favorite of mine is Hustle Bones. Again,wonderful hook but without Ride’s wonderful verses the song would not be as impressive. The following track,I’ve Seen Footage is one of the more listener friendly/poppy tracks. But the synth line (whatever that is) is pretty raw sounding and the funky clap beat is pretty fun. Who could have know the word “noided” would be the coolest thing to say? I’VE SEEN FOOTAGE I STAY NOIDED! The second half is also really good. The closer “Hacker” is another catchy song with the best delivery by MC Ride on the record. I swear that chorus literally haunts you. But in conclusion,this isn’t really suited for everyone but it’s worth a try at least. It’s one of the most unique records ever released.

Favorite Track:The Fever (Aye Aye)

48.Television - Marquee Moon (1977)

Now here is a post punk classic,Television’s debut record Marquee Moon is one of the best rock records ever made. The sound the band captures on the record is VERY ahead of its time. Now when it comes to punk most people think The Sex Pistols,Ramones or The Clash. But I prefer Post Punk or Art Punk to just regular Punk Rock. (Although I do like London Calling and own the very first print on vinyl) The first thing worth noticing is how cool the vocals actually sound like. Tom Verlaine was going for a more dirty vocal delivery and you notice it the second he begins singing on See No Evil. The riffs on the record are also worth mentioning since they are really catchy. Friction and the title track in particular have some really cool riffs. Now the songs range from 3-4 minutes to 10 minutes which is the title track. Pretty lengthy for mid 70s punk if you ask me. But way the songs flow make the record end really quickly. I love the funky bass lines or the really Velvet Underground-ish back vocals on the songs. One last thing that I want to mention is the guitar solo during Marquee Moon. The solo is very very very different. I dislike guitar solos that don’t go anywhere or that are directionless and this solo is the exact opposite. The song progresses beautifully and there is not one second during the solo where you go “Come on just end the track already”. To me,Marquee Moon is one of the best guitar records ever made. This is just a fucking cool record.

Favorite Track:Title Track

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
Pink Moon :heart Such a beautiful and heart-felt record. It's a tad on the short side, but man is it so good.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
Whether or not you agree with his taste (I do in selected instances), the Needle Drop dude is at least a competent reviewer.

After some years of not touching their stuff, I went and spun The Strokes recently. Is This It is really quite an extraordinary debut. They sound like a band a few albums in with their sound completely defined. Room On Fire seemed cool at the time, but it’s basically a much inferior rehash of ITI, completely pointless album. First Impressions at least shows them stretching their sound out a bit. I really liked it at the time, and I think it still sounds good today. Then again, most people hated it, for some reason.

On my list of shit I have queued up to buy/check out, Nick Drake is literally the next artist.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
Great post. I think all of these are special.  :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »
I think I heard Drake's previous album, and kind of like it a bit, but didn't think it was something really special. But I have had these on my to-listen for a while, so will check them soon :tup . Will surely follow the list.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
I like the start of this list for its diversity. Will be following indeed.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
Whether or not you agree with his taste (I do in selected instances), the Needle Drop dude is at least a competent reviewer.

After some years of not touching their stuff, I went and spun The Strokes recently. Is This It is really quite an extraordinary debut. They sound like a band a few albums in with their sound completely defined. Room On Fire seemed cool at the time, but it’s basically a much inferior rehash of ITI, completely pointless album. First Impressions at least shows them stretching their sound out a bit. I really liked it at the time, and I think it still sounds good today. Then again, most people hated it, for some reason.

Yeah he is one of the best reviewers on You Tube in my opinion. I love the dude's passion in music. As for The Strokes,I remember hearing Angles couple years back and then i was given Is This It and i thought it was a way more recent record than Angles but it turns out that Is This It came out YEARS before Angles,I was pretty surprised.

I think I heard Drake's previous album, and kind of like it a bit, but didn't think it was something really special. But I have had these on my to-listen for a while, so will check them soon :tup . Will surely follow the list.

Pink Moon is way more minimal than his previous two albums. The record only has guitar and Drake's voice. The only instance where another instrument is used is during the title track,there's piano for like half a minute.

Anyways,next three albums on the way!  :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
I'm a total n00b when it comes to singer-songwriters, but Mikael Åkerfeldt and Danny Cavanagh have praised Nick Drake, so I should listen to him.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »

Yeah he is one of the best reviewers on You Tube in my opinion. I love the dude's passion in music. As for The Strokes,I remember hearing Angles couple years back and then i was given Is This It and i thought it was a way more recent record than Angles but it turns out that Is This It came out YEARS before Angles,I was pretty surprised.
My brother played Angles once in the car on a road trip. It wasn't terrible, but I didn't hear anything that suggested I needed to hear it again.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
I'm a total n00b when it comes to singer-songwriters, but Mikael Åkerfeldt and Danny Cavanagh have praised Nick Drake, so I should listen to him.
Well,there are couple singer songwriter albums coming up that you should check out!  ;D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
Sorry I'm slightly late but here are 3 albums!

47.Yes - Close To The Edge (1972)

Yes,let’s talk some prog. Let’s talk some good prog. Let’s talk some epics. Nowadays,having a side long track has gotten pretty normal. But back then,the idea of a side long track was just a rare thing outside jazz. But yes,the title track is easily one of the best prog rock epics of all time. Not a second is wasted on this record. Musically the record is just fantastic,not too long and has brilliant melodies. It’s quite an enjoyable record. But it’s also very emotional,exciting and very explosive. The instrumentation is just amazing. Especially Rick Wakeman’s organ and Chris Squire’s bass lines stand out. That’s not to say Bill Bruford’s groovy drumming and Steve Howe’s incredible soloing combined with the angelic voice of Jon Anderson. Sure,sometimes Jon Anderson’s vocals are not too spot on but on Close To The Edge he’s on fire. And the gatefold record sleeve is just amazing. This is an album that you MUST own on wax. Wonderful prog record that holds up.

Favorite Track:All of them really

46.Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)

I rarely listen to this record. Almost less than once every 6 months. Maybe yearly. But this is one of the most unique records ever and also one of the most influential. There is still nothing like this record and in my opinion it’s the best noise rock record ever made. (Noise Rock as a primary genre) I remember when I first heard Daydream Nation,it was mind blowing since at the time i was a proghead who disliked anything punky. (I still dislike The Ramones or Sex Pistols) Every track one by one blew me away. From the anthemic Teen Age Riot to the intro of The Sprawl with Kim Gordon’s badass voice and lastly to the amazing Trilogy at the end. Providence especially is a very influential track because it literally sounds like a snippet of a Godspeed track. In 1988. Post Rock. Woah. Cross The Breeze and Hey Joni are couple other favorites. The record just makes you feel like a badass and it’s a very fun record despite its length. It really does fly by.

Favorite Track:First four tracks

45.LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver (2007)

Future classic right here. It’s pretty sad that LCD Soundsystem broke up after two amazing and one great record. But Sound Of Silver just improves upon every single aspect of their self titled. As you listen to the record you can hear the idols of the frontman James Murphy reflected on the band’s sound. Kraftwerk,Bowie,Eno or David Bryne. But these artists are not really plagiarised,it literally feels like these artists were included in the band. That’s how sincere this record is. LCD Soundsystem is really doing something interesting and putting a modern feel on these influences. The production is perfect and the songwriting is just amazing. There are countless ideas perfectly executed on this record. Every track sounds really different. I mean take All My Friends,a track that builds and builds up for an awesome vocal breakdown and then check out New York,I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down. It’s a very beautiful,almost Queen-esque power ballad-y track which acts as a credits track to the record. Just a very balanced and varied record. This record will never be forgotten.

Favorite Track:All My Friends

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. 3 more records
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Don't like Yes :P - there's something about the melodies, specially the vocal lines, that I thoroughly dislike. But the other seem really interesting, will check them soon :hat .

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
Don't like Yes :P - there's something about the melodies, specially the vocal lines, that I thoroughly dislike.
This.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »
Don't like Yes :P - there's something about the melodies, specially the vocal lines, that I thoroughly dislike.

There ya go again, Sacul :P

Anyway, Close to the Edge is a masterpiece. 'Nuff said. :hefdaddy

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
Close To The Edge is great!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
This.
LISTEN TO IT LOUDER YOU TWO.  :biggrin:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
BECAUSE LISTENING LOUDER CHANGES VOCAL MELODIES.

Following this.

1/6 so far.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
But back then,the idea of a side long track was just a rare thing outside jazz.
...so your list is gonna feature jazz?

Close to the Edge is an obvious classic, and I haven't listened to Daydream Nation in an age, but I remember it being really good.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
1/6 so far.
Hope you make some nice discoveries!  :tup

But back then,the idea of a side long track was just a rare thing outside jazz.
...so your list is gonna feature jazz?
That's not really what I meant but...why not?  :biggrin:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »
Been slightly busy lately,only two records this time. Sorry guys!  :P

44.Riverside - Out Of Myself (2003)

It’s been a damn long while since I’ve last listened to this band. But I still love this album and know it by heart. To me,this album sounds like a mix between 70s prog and some very melancholic prog rock of the early 2000s like couple Anathema tracks. Anyways,my favorite aspect of the record is that it’s very claustrophobic. Songs like I Believe or OK just make me feel miserable. Sure,the record is pretty prog but it has the depressing feels of a record from The Cure. The record also is very balanced. Opening with a 12 minute epic,The Same River which has some incredible bass riffs and soloing which moves onto the title track,a track that definitely shows off some Tool influences. I really love the whispering vocals on this track. Next up is I Believe which is a very pretty acoustic ballad. The lyrics are also pretty great. And then,we have an instrumental called Reality Dream. Pretty smooth instrumentation with nice bass riffs and then…the best track of the record comes up. Normally,people prefer Riverside’s next record,Second Life Syndrome simply because it’s a stronger record. And guess what? They’re right. But the reason I really hold OOM very close to my heart is how anti prog it is. Really,Loose Heart is shorter than 5 minutes but has a huge amount of feels and two incredible guitar solos. The song kinda reminds me of Comfortably Numb at some points. Especially the second guitar solo is fucking perfect. One of my favorite guitar solos EVER. Anyways,next up is Reality Dream 2 which I actually prefer over the first one since i just find it to be a tad catchier. In Two Minds is probably the weakest track on the record but the lyrics really make up for it. It’s like I Believe’s older cousin. Second to last we have The Curtain Falls. This track to me used to be the weakest on the record,but it’s made its way up as i gave it more listens. The solos and the grooves on this track are just amazing. Really great keyboard and guitar work. And then,OK closes the album on a very sad and depressed note. Out Of Myself impresses me in a way no other prog record does. It’s atmospheric,depressed and just a raw record. Anyone who is tired of generic prog should check this band out. They have been one of the best prog bands of the new millennium.

Favorite Track:Loose Heart

43.Cult Of Luna Somewhere Along The Highway (2006)

This record right here. This is the record that got me into Atmospheric Sludge Metal and Post Rock. This record perfectly combines those two genres and makes something amazing with both of them. Swedish sludge metal band Cult Of Luna have a really original sound. They always have this really doom and sludgy wall of sound while the song progresses and the drums back those sounds up so well that it just feels perfect. And the vocals,oh the vocals. In my honest opinion,I often dislike Post Metal vocals. For example,Oceanic to me is a better record without vocals. Sometimes trying to sound rough and tough just makes you much less rough and tough,if that makes any sense. Rydberg’s vocals,backed up by the amazing guitarist Johannes Persson’s gritty voice just creates a very deadly ambience. It not only compliments the music but also improves it. Now let’s talk about some highlights,there are three tracks on the record above 10 minutes and those three are some of the best Post Rock related tracks I’ve ever heard. I’m not gonna go into much detail track by track but there is a very high level of finesse with these tracks in both production and songwriting. And the record is very well arranged and perfectly structured. I will go as far as calling this one of the best metal releases of the 21st century so far. If you dig Isis or Agalloch,this could be the record you’ve been dying for. And even if you have not heard any post rock or post metal,this record is a wonderful place to start,so why the hell not?

Favorite Track:Dark City,Dead Man

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Out of Myself! :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Out of Myself! :tup
Although SLS is the better album,I like OOM more.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Somewhere Along the Highway is such an amazing album. I prefer Salvation by a small margin, but still.. incredible music.  :hat

Offline mikemangioy

I've heard about Cult of Luna, and about Riverside. Actually, I tried Riverside once, but didn't like them. Judging the fact that last year I hated both Haken and Devin Townsend, and now I absolutely love 'em both to death, maybe I'll eventually like them, sometime. Who knows.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I've heard about Cult of Luna, and about Riverside. Actually, I tried Riverside once, but didn't like them. Judging the fact that last year I hated both Haken and Devin Townsend, and now I absolutely love 'em both to death, maybe I'll eventually like them, sometime. Who knows.

Riverside are mostly very 70's Progressive Rock and Pink Floyd/Porcupine Tree sounding, but the one album that breaks the formula a bit is Anno Domini High Definition, which is more like a Progressive Metal album, and really has some strong DT-sounding parts. Actually I would say that one is my favorite album of theirs. Maybe that album would be easier to get into first. :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Riverside are mostly very 70's Progressive Rock and Pink Floyd/Porcupine Tree sounding, but the one album that breaks the formula a bit is Anno Domini High Definition, which is more like a Progressive Metal album, and really has some strong DT-sounding parts. Actually I would say that one is my favorite album of theirs. Maybe that album would be easier to get into first. :)
Either that one or their most praised, Second Life Syndrome. Although I agree they are too PF/PT sounding, I really can't see them being 70's prog. They're nearer to Tool and 00's DT than to Yes or King Crimson, for example. They have quite a modern sound and approach that just a few prog metal bands have.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
No update today due to me going to see Jack White live!  :metal

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
So after getting really sick after the concert and being flooded with homeworks,I couldn't really update much. That shall change tomorrow,cya then!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
So,after losing my laptop at school,I wrote these write-ups on my phone. Don't worry,my laptop is found and I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. Meanwhile,here are two albums.

42.Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album (1996)

An incredible IDM record which proves that electronic music is not as easy to make as it sounds. Richard really shows off his talents on this record. From the very complicated beats to the very insane samples to the beautiful melodies,he proves that electronic music can be the most gorgeous music out there. The album opens up with 4 which is one of my favorites,a very upbeat track with a very badass drum line and an amazing synth (i think) line to boot. Another highlight is Fingerbib,a track that sounds so…squishy. I know it sounds really weird but some of these songs make me think with all five of my senses. As crazy as that sounds,that actually does happen. How cool is that? My absolute favorite on the record is Girl/Boy Song. That track has an amazing climax with strings and pianos and it really is a huge surprise. That song is probably my favorite IDM track out there. In conclusion,this is a must if you want to get into electronic music.

Favorite Track:Girl/Boy Song

41.Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)

I don’t think Trent Reznor gets enough credit as a songwriter. He has songs you can dance to,fuck to,cry to or go nuts to. The Downward Spiral proves that. Piggy,March Of The Pigs,Closer,Mr. Selfdestruct and Hurt are all different songs from one another. The record if you haven’t noticed is kind of a concept record of some dude killing himself. Some lyrics may seem really dumb but there are huge metaphors. The music is also really excellent. The instrumental part of Closer is one of the coolest things i’ve ever heard. It sounds like a gigantic machine starting up. Another thing I really like is the piano on this record. There are moments where piano is played during the end of a song which ends up looking really out of place in a really cool way. Anyways,this record is worth checking out and you should all do so

Favorite Track:Hurt