Author Topic: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. Happy,Sad and Sadder  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. 90s Classics
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Two great albums even though neither is my favorite by the artist/band. Downward Spiral is a classic, but when it comes to Aphex Twin I feel like he has had an uphill career of trying to follow up his best album, Selected Ambient Works, which was also his first. The other albums aren't bad, but he never topped that one IMO.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
I kind of like electronica, so will check Aphex soon. I'm curious about The Downward Spiral, because it's such an experimental and hard to digest album, yet it had a terrific commercial success. It's great and I'm still getting into it after some weeks of spinning, but I have no idea how it became that popular, being so inaccessible.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
Two great albums even though neither is my favorite by the artist/band. Downward Spiral is a classic, but when it comes to Aphex Twin I feel like he has had an uphill career of trying to follow up his best album, Selected Ambient Works, which was also his first. The other albums aren't bad, but he never topped that one IMO.

Yep, my favorite is the first SAW too. Still, i think the Richard D. James album is pretty great  :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »
I kind of like electronica, so will check Aphex soon. I'm curious about The Downward Spiral, because it's such an experimental and hard to digest album, yet it had a terrific commercial success. It's great and I'm still getting into it after some weeks of spinning, but I have no idea how it became that popular, being so inaccessible.
Really? It took me one listen really. But then again,the record gets better with age.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. Geniuses in music
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
40.Peter Gabriel - So (1986)

Peter Gabriel is my biggest idol in music. His touch on music always goes farther and I love that about him. Even when his music is simple pop,he always has a very artistic and experimental edge. In my opinion,his work with Genesis spawned some of the greatest albums from the 70s. His solo albums are also really good,especially his 3rd Self Titled and So. I love both of those records equally but I went with So since it has more sentimental value. Mr. Gabriel really made me the person i am today,he has a very special view on music and just is an incredible songwriter. So is no exception. Probably the most commercially successful record on this list,So sold an impressive number of copies. The singles (Red Rain and Sledgehammer especially) did amazing with their videos playing more than any other music video on MTV. My favorite aspect of So is that it’s a record that is really impossible not to like. Like seriously,there’s something for EVERYONE here. The funky Sledgehammer,the beautiful duet with Kate Bush (another one of my favorite artists from the 80s) Don’t Give Up and the satirical Big Time. So is just a great,well balanced pop record.

Favorite Track:Sledgehammer

39.At The Drive In - Relationship Of Command (2000)

Here we have one of the greatest Post Hardcore releases ever. At The Drive In is one of the bands that I hated on first listen,as a Mars Volta fan prog snob,I really hated how punk At The Drive In was,years later I got into bands like Fugazi and Husker Du and when it was the time to revisit At The Drive In,I didn’t have any expectations. But what a first listen that was.. This is the greatest post hardcore album of all time. It’s one of the most entartaining albums ever and the punk sound mixed with beautiful melodies just blew me away. The albums opener Arcarsenal is an amazing post hardcore tune, Cedric’s vocals are really rough but not in a screamy way but it in a way sounds really amazing. Like the vocals have an epic feel to them. Probably because Cedric putting in so much energy to his vocals. The track Invalid Litter Dept. is in my opinion one of the greatest tracks ever. The piano in the background compliments the guitars so beautifully and the chorus is just great. The spoken word verses might sound weird at first but grows on you after the second chorus or so. But the really cool breakdown at the end of the song is just cool. It’s the moment i wish i could make in my own music. (Man,I need a drummer.) I could write an essay on this album,there’s so many things I love in it. So I’ll just cut it short here. In short,the record is amazing and if you’re not into punk,an essential gateway to the genre.

Favorite Track:Invalid Litter Dept.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:14:53 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
Come on guys!  :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
I think I have that Drive-in album on my to-listen list. It seems like a really energetic and fun album. Will give it a listen soon.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »
I think I have that Drive-in album on my to-listen list. It seems like a really energetic and fun album. Will give it a listen soon.
Give it multiple listens though,it took me a while to really get into the album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
Relationship of Command is absolutely fantastic. One of the best albums in general out there. :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
I need to get familiar with Peter Gabriel and the stuff he did with Genesis, as well. I like Marillion with Fish, so his voice would probably not ruin the music for me. :D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »
I need to get familiar with Peter Gabriel and the stuff he did with Genesis, as well. I like Marillion with Fish, so his voice would probably not ruin the music for me. :D
Do it now.

Relationship of Command is absolutely fantastic. One of the best albums in general out there. :tup
Shh.. Editing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »
I finally have gotten my new computer and wrote my write up for only one album,sorry I've been extremely slow but double update tomorrow so I promise the drought of no updates is over. Anyways,here is the number 38!

38.John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (1966)

Yes,pretty generic pick for the jazz album on the list but COME ON PEOPLE,you simply can’t name a jazz album constructed better than A Love Supreme. Acknowledgement,Resolution,Pursuance and Psalm. Those are the four parts that form this incredible record. Each have their own pros. The album opener Acknowledgement shows off some wonderful drumming with some really great playing from Coltrane in the lead. I love the part where Coltrane actually starts singing the name of the album. Pretty cool.The next part,Resolution has my all time favorite jazz riff. That riff is just so captivating that those 7 minutes fly by fast. Now the reason I’m not too into records like Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis is that the drumming is the same lame beat for the entire record,well part 3,Pursuance is the complete opposite. Elvin Jones is a complete monster on those drums on the intro and when Coltrane joins in,he still does couple really cool fills here and there. He’s a very unique drummer. The piano work by McCoy Tyner on this track is also great,it’s always wonderful listening to his fast lines. Lastly,Psalm closes the album on a very slower note. The drumming on the track is very different as this time it’s Coltrane’s turn to blow us away. I never get this feeling in other jazz records but Coltrane’s playing on this track to me sounds like he’s telling us about a heartbreak. I know that sounds dumb but that’s just what it sounds like to me. But i know that it isn’t just me that loves this record,this is up there with Bitches Brew and The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady as the greatest jazz records ever. (Let’s also add in some Karma by Pharoah Sanders in there) This is the perfect gateway to jazz.

Favorite Track:The Whole Thing

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. Jazz!
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Gave it a listen some weeks ago. To be hones, it didn't tell me anything. The songs didn't feel they had some mayor structure, it was a big well arranged improvisation. It might grow on me if I give it another chance, but it bored me :lol .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
I'm a bit of a casual Coltrane fan. I like his music, but so far I have been more blown away by Miles Davis. (though times can change) I forgot to write earlier, but Relationship of Command is a masterpiece.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
A Love Supreme is absolute brilliance. There's a reason it's so highly praised in jazz music. Elvin Jones as well man. What a beast. :hefdaddy

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »

Yes,pretty generic pick for the jazz album on the list
That's what's great about jazz as a genre though. If you asked your run of the mill rock fan for his favourite albums, they're probably gonna name albums like Nevermind, Back in Black, Led Zeppelin 4, and the Wall - in other words, a list of (arguably) quite varying quality. You could ask pretty much any jazz fan for their favourite albums, and they will quite consistently mention a similar set of albums, and they will all be monstrous, mindbending albums.

Of the major players in jazz, Coltrane's not one of my favourites. His stuff is a bit too... academic, it feels too concerned with technicality over swing and cool for me, as lame as that might sound. A Love Supreme is probably his best album though. It's a nice balance of his earlier material, more about showcasing technique, and his later, emotionally, spiritually driven work.

The songs didn't feel they had some mayor structure, it was a big well arranged improvisation.
Really, in jazz? Who'd've thought?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »
Also, one thing I forgot about ALS: it irks me how the instruments are completely separated into the different ears/channels, something they pretty much never do with jazz albums. I've never been able to listen to that album on headphones because of it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
Aside from Riverside (who I've always had a hard time fully digesting) I love everything so far. :metal

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
Sorry guys,due to my dog eating my computer,no updates today.

:neverusethis:

37.Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)

This is a decade defining album. Even though it’s not my favorite album of the decade,i myself believe that indie rock in the 2000s will be remembered by Arcade Fire’s masterpiece Funeral. I don’t remember another album that I considered to be a modern classic after so few listens. The record is just stunning,powerful and just beautiful. This album hits hard when it does. I used to walk while listening to this the summer of 09,my every single step felt more powerful with this album in the background. When I listen to Funeral,i feel like i’m really going for a ride. The emotion in the music is so sincere. When I first listened to Arcade Fire,i was one of those people who thought that the 2000s were a horrible time for music and that Led Zeppelin’s Stairway To Heaven is the best song of all time. (But I still deep down inside preferred Achilles Last Stand) And I think it was during the first time i heard the chorus to Rebellion (Lies) when my opinion on music just changed. I could not get any enjoyment out of the music that I once adored. (Besides Progressive Rock that is) One thing i noticed about Funeral recently is that the album is very original. At the time,every single indie rock band had stolen something off of The Pixies. Arcade Fire aren’t one of those bands. They’re free of any clichés found on an indie album. Which is why Funeral still sounds very fresh. Every little detail is fantastic from the accordions to the strings and to the horns. Funeral in my opinion is one of the best albums of this generation of music.

Favorite Track:Wake Up

36.DJ Shadow - Entroducing (1996)

You know this list really is lacking at the hip hop department. I’m kinda surprised with that since hip hop has been really growing on me the past couple years. (I have My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Good Kid Maad City to thank for that) But I knew this record would be on the list the second i started listing albums. This is one of the most unique albums ever. The way DJ Shadow uses samples is just unheard of. Sadly there is a train of thought that sampling is bordering on plaglarism. I really don’t agree. The thing with this record it’s the first record where I would consider sampling an art. Sure,sampling has been used waaay before this album came out but this kind of sampling was never done before. This stuff requires so much skill,time and also a lot of finesse. And you know what,at least it cites where the sample is taken from rather than just using it and not referring to the source. (Something Led Zeppelin never did with a ton of riffs huh?) But still,if you don’t like samples that much this record is not really for you. (Still worth a shot though) I ignored this album for way too long. I used to think this was some lame EDM record but then somehow I heard the record and i was really surprised with the variety of styles this man explores randing from hip hop,jazz,funk,psychedelic rock and more. From what I’ve heard,this album is actually in the Guinness Book Of World Records for being an album composed entirely of samples. It’s such a shame that DJ Shadow went on to produce very uninspired rehashes. It really hurts me to say that he’s a one album wonder. But we still have Entroducing. A masterpiece that will always stand the test of time.

Favorite Track:Stem/Long Stem/Transmission 2 (That’s one track)

35.Slowdive - Souvlaki (1993)

This album moves me. It takes me to a brand new planet. The spacey guitars just captivate me like nothing else. For example,listen to the opener Alison. There is a guitar lick on that song that just gives me goosebumps every single time. You know the one. (0:55) I don’t know why but somehow that sound the guitar makes just takes me away and Dagger brings me back home. Those two usually are the fan favorites off this album but I actually prefer Machine Gun over them. The bridge and the chorus on that track are some the most beautiful moments in music period. The lyrics are also very strong. But I just like how dreamy this all sounds. It’s nothing like that other shoegaze album. One of the things that I find to be very weird about this album is that even though the lyrics can be really dark,somehow the music has this sound to it where it gives a certain amount of hope to the listener. There really isn’t much to say this album. It really should just be experienced. Trust me,you won’t regret it.

Favorite Track:Machine Gun
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:40:07 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

All three of these are fantastic. :tup My placement of Funeral wasn't too far from yours. :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
All three of these are fantastic. :tup My placement of Funeral wasn't too far from yours. :lol
Yeah,I noticed but I didn't want to really spoil my list.  :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't listened to the others but Endtroducing....  :hefdaddy . I listened to it almost daily since I first heard it. Truly awesome.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Haven't listened to the others but Endtroducing....  :hefdaddy . I listened to it almost daily since I first heard it. Truly awesome.
It's amazing how unrivaled Entroducing is. The closest thing there is is probably J Dilla's Donuts. That's another great album. Check that out if you haven't.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
It's Souvlaki ;) Either way, great album!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Great update!

I'm happy Slowdive are slowly getting more and more appreciation, and in my opinion they are the best Shoegaze/Dream Pop band out of the ones that really started it. While My Bloody Valentine gets most of the focus much thanks to Loveless (which is indeed a perfect album), I feel like Slowdive's overall consistency is what makes them the better band for me. MBV has one masterpiece, one great album and one throwaway album. Slowdive has two masterpieces and one great album.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Here,have a quick and short update! Exams are a pain in the ass. Funny cause I had a french exam today and the album is....

34.Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D’une Cinquieme Saison (Means “If We Needed A Fifth Season) (1975)

Quite possibly the most obscure album on my list,this is a concept album by the canadian Progressive/Folk band Harmonium. This is quite possibly one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard. Sure the first tracks may sound odd at first due to the French but it will grow on you in couple listens. But what steals the show is their “fifth season”. Yes,the first 4 tracks are the four seasons in the order of Spring,Summer,Fall and Winter. I love how the concept really works well since all the tracks sound really different from each other. The instrumentation work is incredible,often times including flutes,accordions,saxophones,mellotrons and even dulcimer. There is a huge variety of sounds on this record which keeps it fresh. It’s not the longest album ever,it ends really quickly but in a good way. It’s always an amazing experience listening to this album and I hope the record will remain one of my favorites.

Favorite Track:Histoires Sans Paroles

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lolzeez's Top 50 Albums Of All Time (v.3): v. An obscure classic
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
Knew I'd be their only fan on the forum!  :biggrin:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
I've heard of this album, but haven't given it a listen yet. Will do now. :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
This. I've heard it recommended on some essential prog lists somewhere. Although I'm not keen on 70's prog, will give it a listen anyways.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »
Knew I'd be their only fan on the forum!  :biggrin:
Wrong! ;)

This used to be one of my absolute favourite albums back when I was a big proghead. I don't listen to it much anymore now that I'm into like any genre I can find merit in, but it's still a fantastic album.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
This. I've heard it recommended on some essential prog lists somewhere. Although I'm not keen on 70's prog, will give it a listen anyways.
I'm not that keen on 70s prog as well but this is a very different take on prog as it's kinda like an even folkier Jethro Tull.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
33.Björk - Vespertine (2001)

The perfect winter album. This album makes me feel cold in a good way. There’s only one other album that does that which will be coming up later in the list. (Were the early 2000s that cold?) But my adventure with Björk began when I was little. I heard Hyperballad somewhere and thought it was amazing and i forgot about it for years until I heard in on some radio. So naturally I bought some of her albums. I got Medulla,Debut and Post. Those last two I eventually started to like but I wasn’t really into those three albums when I was 13. So one day I found a bargain bin with albums for very cheap. One of those albums was Homogenic. And I was blown away with that album. The first 5 tracks on that album were just unmatched for me at that age..until i got Vespertine. Vespertine is a bit glitchier than Homogenic which is something that I’d get really tired of quickly. But man,this album is just special. The chorus of Hidden Place,the boy choir on It’s Not Up To You,the last few lines of Undo,Pagan Poetry as a whole,OOOOOHs in Aurora,the groovy Heirloom and the beautiful beats in Unison. There is a lot in Vespertine to digest. Every single listen has me discovering something new and to me that just shows how timeless this album is. Please do yourselves a favour and listen to this album.

Favorite Track:Pagan Poetry

PS:How beautiful is that cover? Very.

32.Jethro Tull - Aqualung (1971)

Oh yes this one.this is the album that put Jethro Tull on the map. I’m not too keen on the band’s work before this album. To me,this is as good as Jethro Tull gets. (Including Thick As A Brick,another masterpiece.) How many albums can you name that can make a flute so badass? None. Aqualung has two types of tracks. The amazing acoustic ballads like Wond’ring Aloud and Wind Up have some great vocal melodies and memorable instrumentation. But there are also some rockers like the title track and My God. The guitar work on the album is great and all but there’s some wonderful keyboard and orchestral work. It may sound weird but the orchestral work on this album reminds me of some Sigur Ros. (Wond’ring Aloud) I think the album is following some concept but I actually never dug deep for the story. I think it’s some dude looking for god. No matter what the concept is,the music on this album is just great. There are some really catchy material here which is just uncommon in prog. Up To Me for example has been playing in my head for a long time. Especially when I’m writing essays for some reason. One of my favorites is the closer,Wind Up. It’s one of the greatest ballads I’ve ever heard. The lyrics are easily Ian Anderson’s best here and the music just sounds sincere. I really don’t have a favorite on here. Every single song kicks ass.

Favorite track:Hey dude,read the last two sentences.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Björk  :heart

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Aqualung, huh. I dig title track, Cross-Eyed Mary, My God and Locomotive Breath. I'm not a fan of both Wind Up and Wond'ring Aloud. I think Ian's voice began to sound better on the ballads when he got a bit older (think Said She Was a Dancer). Still a strong album though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
 Liked Aqualung, but TAAB is still better though :coolio .