Author Topic: Petrucci can't write short songs  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Skeever

Petrucci can't write short songs
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
Interesting article.
https://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-29/petrucci-can-t-write-short-songs

Dream Theater's John Petrucci admits it wasn't easy writing some of the shorter songs that appear on the band's latest album.

The prog heroes released their self-titled 12th record last year and it includes a number of tracks which don't run as long as some of their previous efforts.

And the guitarist and main songwriter says penning snappy songs isn't usually in his nature.

He tells Guitar Interactive: "The basic mentality is that every song doesn't have to be 12 minutes long. It's actually hard to do.

"The challenge is to try to write and keep the style that we write in without straying from the thing that makes us unique. And to try to do that within a four, five or six-minute mark, it's hard to do.

"But we did that on a few songs and kept the energy up and everything. And we also made sure that we did include a big epic piece on there. We made sure that there was an instrumental on there, which is something that we wanted to do.

"But as far as those few songs that are kind of on the shorter side, we did say it would be a nice challenge to try to keep things short. And it's really hard."

Petrucci recently said that being "uncool" was one of the keys to their continued success. He said: "It's what separated us out and make us successful in the long term."

Offline lithium112

Re: Petrucci can't write short songs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
The interview video was actually REALLY good. Like, one of the most interesting DT interviews I've heard. No boring questions and he actually gave great insights on their writing and collaboration process. Make sure to open the video in youtube and go through the other segments (since this one is only part 1/4).

When the interviewer suggested that they release their pre-recorded riff ideas as bonus material  - I was like "DO IIIIIIIT!!!"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
"The challenge is to try to write and keep the style that we write in without straying from the thing that makes us unique. And to try to do that within a four, five or six-minute mark, it's hard to do."

To be completely honest, I really don't like this quote. What makes them unique then? Long, noodle-filled instrumental sections? That would explain why shorter songs would be hard to make.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:18:17 PM »
"The challenge is to try to write and keep the style that we write in without straying from the thing that makes us unique. And to try to do that within a four, five or six-minute mark, it's hard to do."

To be completely honest, I really don't like this quote. What makes them unique then? Long, noodle-filled instrumental sections? That would explain why shorter songs would be hard to make.

Given how people are complaining that DT12 is safe, I would say that JP is not talking about long noodling instrumentals when he refers to that thing that makes them unique.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
He says he finds it hard to write shorter songs, not that he can't write them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

But the thread title won't be controversial enough!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 02:53:30 AM »
He's sporting the Zakk Wylde look now!

Cool! And yep, the title is very blabbermouth like. Yuk!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:57:38 AM »
He can write short songs, but he can't trim his beard. :neverusethis:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
The title comes straight from the Blabbermouth School of Mildly-Controversial Article Title Writing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 03:04:29 AM »
He can write short songs, but he can't trim his beard. :neverusethis:

He should at least try a Trim of Consciousness... ;)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 04:31:38 AM »
What a misleading Article title...     :facepalm:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
Just took the title from the article.