Author Topic: DT13 time capsule album prediction game  (Read 5396 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT13 time capsule album prediction game
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
Wow, so unexpected that they would bring bosk1 in to do vocals on this one.  The fact that James agreed to just do backup vocals is really a testament for how secure he is in his vocalist abilities and his position in the band.  And I gotta say, bosk1 really nailed it.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
Wow, so unexpected that they would bring bosk1 in to do vocals on this one.  The fact that James agreed to just do backup vocals is really a testament for how secure he is in his vocalist abilities and his position in the band.  And I gotta say, bosk1 really nailed it.  :metal

Too bad they couldn't afford The Great Pretender.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
He was so good they decided to make it an instrumental.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »
I'm really impressed how well this sounds considering SC and BCSL were kinda meh, BCSL especially. I just wish they didn't give Mangini the boot for Portnoy again. :neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »
And with Bosk1 they re recorded "Middle Aged Space Die Vest" (Cause I rock it onstage).
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Skeever

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
First week: "This is their best album since Six Degrees"
Later: "This falls somewhere in the middle of the pack of albums they've done since Six Degrees"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »

Too bad they couldn't afford The Great Pretender.
He was so good they decided to make it an instrumental.  ;D
:metal

Future Milena: yeah I can see the point in the tsunami of gushing comments but this is really not my thing *goes back to teen melodeath and indie trash for relatable-ness and/or uplifting factors*

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »
"First week: "This is their best album since Six Degrees"
Later: "This falls somewhere in the middle of the pack of albums they've done since Six Degrees""

Ha, THIS!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »
Album title : Triskaidekaphilia.

Cool title but for fucks sake it really didn't need to be 13 discs long.  :angry:

Although I like Track 7 on Disc 9 ;)

And the 2-DISC Epic was pretty Ph'nom'nal  :omg:

Offline Grizz

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
I still can't believe that Jordan retired and KevMo came back. Guess it really was MP that drove him out?
Why is MM using electronic drums and garbage can lids? Is he trying to piss us off?
So glad that they opted out of the 19+ epic. ACoS live here I come!
An F#6? Shit son.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 08:03:03 PM »
Why is MM using electronic drums and garbage can lids? Is he trying to piss us off?

What are you talking about? That was awesome. It really gave it that Industrial edge.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »
Never thought that would work, but that progressive Klezmer tune is pretty rad.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
4-5 song album.  Really long songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »
First track: The ambient build-up was great, but I feel like it got heavy too suddenly. The drum beat at 2:35 has been stuck in my head. Once the vocals come in, it's sort of like a heavier Lines in the Sand. Around 9 minutes in is one of the best Rudess solos I've heard in quite a while.

Second track: This track has a lot of piano, both in the slow and fast sections. Petrucci's solo was more shreddy than I would have liked, but it still worked.

Third track: Was anyone else reminded of Holy Wars by Megadeth? My god, that riff must be difficult to play. I can't even fathom the time signatures at the beginning of the instrumental section. The ending is too abrupt.

Fourth track: Was not expecting this. Sounds almost like Liquid Tension Experiment. Dat unison, not to mention the bass riff under it. As a whole, the track is a bit too long.

Fifth track: Definitely the darkest song on the album. It took a while to grow on me. Liking the acoustic 7-string. Sort of in the vein of Disappear.

Epic (Tracks 6-9):
Interesting choice to make the epic have actual distinct movements separated by silence instead of all of the movements flowing into each other. The first movement starts very bombastically, but settles down a lot, into almost a ballad. The second movement has a great main riff, and an excellent performance by LaBrie. The third movement sounds like it could be edited into a single, it's accessible enough. The fourth movement goes over the top with the epic symphonic sound, even during the instrumental section. All in all, it's like a mix between Six Degrees and Octavarium. It's really cool how the album ends with the ambience starting the first track played backwards.

Overall: I really like that even though this is a heavy album, it has a sort of uplifting feel to it, and not in a contrived way like the end of Illumination Theory. The epic definitely feels like its own entity from the rest of the album. Also, I'm sure everyone is pointing out the structural similarities to SDOIT. They're not quite as bad as the ones between ADTOE and IAW, but it's noticeable. Probably will end up at number 4 or 5 in my album rankings.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2014, 06:06:56 AM »
The guest appearance by Bela Fleck was inspired.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2014, 07:05:20 AM »
I find it interesting that they called track 6 "take the time played backwards" and some people actually believe they are playing take the time backwards even though it has no resemblance to take the time being played backwards and they are making crazy crackpot theories to make it fit like how they're both the exact same length except the counter on everyone's music player counts down from 8:21 to zero instead of the other way around and how the time sigs are the same yet in reverse and JLB is singing "emiiiiit eth kaaaate" in the chorus and there's a guy doing a tiny bit of rapping in different voices but backwards at the end of the song.

I see no similarity in structure forwards or backwards.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 08:46:32 AM »
I feel like DT have perfected the direction they were aiming with BC&SL.

Track 1. 9.04 IMO the safest song on this album. Reminds me of PMU and OTBOA. Feels kinda weird that the weakest song kicks off the otherwise excellent album. I don't hate this song, but it feels to much like an afterthought.

Track 2. 13.37 This is where the album gets exciting! A classic DT epic. Feels like a mix of This Dying Soul and Voices. Love it!

Track 3. 6.54 Getting some serious Opeth vibes from this song! Very much like Face of Melinda or Harvest. This is not DT ripping of Opeth however, it still feels like a DT song underneath. And i just love the guest vocals by Mike Portnoy. This song felt like a handshake between the two sides!

Track 4. 6.30 Interesting experiment! This song reminds me of the band: Textures. Very heavy and djenty feel to this song. Im not sure how i feel about it, but interesting experiment regardless.

Track 5. 17.24 What a colossus! Song goes through so many phases, and moves around so much! One moment it feels like happy prog rock. Other times it feels dark and menacing. Might just become my favourite DT epic and dethrone ACOS, but time will tell!

Track 6. 21.18 Its hard to describe this song on first listen, it's so massive. This has heavier vibe than track 5, but has a very melodic section thrown in. The orchestral stuff sounds great also! It was quite exhausting to listen two long epics in a row, but this was an awesome ride!

We will see what happens next year!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:55:11 AM by Polarbear »

Offline Fredo96993

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2014, 11:30:23 AM »
I think that JMX's decision to clone himself so they could have two bass players was amazing.
I mean it's obvious from that dark, brooding slow build up that the dynamic's gonna work and it added so much flavour to the instrumental opener. I thought it was ballsy to then have a slow song but it strangely worked. Putting the 30 minute epic right in the centre of the album too. Then to finish with such a heavy crescendo that doesn't fade out, just disappears. This is up there with Scenes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
I think that JMX's decision to clone himself so they could have two bass players was amazing.

Reminds me of this: https://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/onthedownload/archive/2007/12/07/video-christopher-guest-at-berklee.aspx
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:21 AM »
Aww come on guys, don't be so vague! Make some predictions about what specific songs or parts of songs on the album will sound like!  :biggrin:

"Metropolis Part 3 : Scenes from a much too long concept album."

Is that precise enough to you ? :biggrin:
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:33 AM »
Holy crap that Justin Bieber guest appearance.

Didn't sound all that bad, actually.