News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

The HAKEN Survivor 2014 - Results / Discussion

Started by Elite, October 16, 2014, 02:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elite

So, I'm going to start this one in the coming days, leading up to the release of the EP 'Restoration', so that one can be included as well. I'm going to disregard the Demo EP the released before Aquarius, because I doubt enough people will be familiar with them.

So, these following albums are going to be included in 4 separate 'Album rounds':

EDITED WITH ALL THE RESULTS

Aquarius results:
1. Celestial Elixir
2. Aquarium
3. Streams
4. Drowning in the Flood

5. The Point of no Return
6. Eternal Rain
7. Sun

Visions results:
1. Visions
2. Deathless
3. Nocturnal Conspiracy
4. Shapeshifter

5. Insomnia
6. Portals
7. Premonition
8. The Mind's Eye

The Mountain results:
1. Falling Back to Earth
2. Pareidolia
3. Atlas Stone
4. Cockroach King

5. In Memoriam
6. Because It's There
7. The Path
8. Somebody
9. As Death Embraces

Restoration results:
1. Crystallised
2. Darkest Light
3. Earthlings

Bonus Round: 'Enter the 5th Dimension' results:
1. Snow
2. Blind
3. Souls
4. Black Seed
5. Manifolds
6. Sleeping Thoughts Wake

Consolation Results:
1. Cockroach King
2. Darkest Light

3. Drowning in the Flood
4. Shapeshifter

The Finals, results:
1. Celestial Elixir
    Visions

3. Crystallised
4. Falling Back to Earth
5. Atlas Stone
6. Pareidolia
7. Cockroach King
8. Nocturnal Conspiracy
9. Darkest Light
10. Aquarium
11. Streams
12. Deathless

Of each album, the top 3 goes to the finals, while the song placed fourth goes to consolation. From Restoration, the top 1 track goes to the finals and the song placed second will enter consolation. The consolation round will thus comprise 4 different songs, from 4 different albums, of which the top 2 goes to the Finals. This gives a Finals round with a total of 12 songs.

Having run this same survivor in the past 2 years, I'm curious to see if there's any differences between this year's results and the two prior years. If anyone is interested, I can post the results of the past two survivors here as well, so everyone can compare (I still have all the results of the album survivors, as well as the results of the Consolation and Final rounds).

I'm doing rounds that last 2 days, except for tie-breaker rounds and the rounds to make up the top 3 of the albums. They will only last 1 day. I'm ready to start this one any time, but since Restoration is only out due on October 27th, it's probably wise to wait a little longer. Who's in!? :)
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Zydar

krands85

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Dublagent66

I'm in, but haven't heard Restoration yet.  Is that released on iTunes?  Haven't seen it.

Zydar

ariich

Comes out October 27th, so by the time we reach it people should have had a chance to get to know it a bit!

And aw, no demo? Couldn't even be done as a bonus round later on?

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Elite

I supposr I could do the demo indeed, biut like I said, I'm not sure how many people on here are familiar with the songs. I know I can count on you for voting though ;)
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:

LordCost

I'm in and I would like to vote for the Demo poll too!

BRGM

This is great, looking forward to it, though I never listened to the demo :o

Destiny Of Chaos

GasparXR

I would also vote for the demo poll since I've heard it.

I would say no on the demo myself, because I haven't heard it and because it isn't widely available anymore so there's no easy way for those of us who haven't heard it to remedy that.

Elite

I can do the demo songs as a bonus round for those interested, but I won't include them in the Finals or anything. Deal?

LordCost

Ok, it's better than excluding it entirely  :tup

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

Elite

RoeDent

Elite

For The Mountain, I chose not to include the bonus tracks Nobody and The Path Unbeaten (which I doubt would get far anyway). Shall I include them in the album rounds, or just leave them out altogether? I'd like to hear what you think.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

ariich

Yeah they're just differenct arrangements from songs from the album, wouldn't really make sense to include them.

Elite

Update the OP with the results from Visions.

My finger pulls the trigger
With my whole life left to figure
Why PwnsomeWin can't 'preciate greatness

PwnsomeWin

Quite excited to see The Mountain results. As stated, amazingly consistent album. If I had to guess the top 4, I'd say...

1. Falling Back To Earth
2. Atlas Stone
3. Pareidolia
4. Cockroach King

Pretty sure about the top 3. They weren't even voted until round 4, and Falling Back To Earth seems to have good rep. Atlas Stone also has one vote in round 4, and Pareidolia has 2. I thought Cockroach King had pretty good rep, so I'm surprised to see that many votes on it. But again, it's quite hard on this great album.

My personal ranking of The Mountain would probably be something like...

1. Falling Back To Earth (This was my LEAST favorite once. I still don't think it lives up to all the hype it gets, but it's awesome. I like the first half better than the second half.)
2. Cockroach King (So unique, and awesome! Haken took like ten different styles and blended them flawlessly, somehow. The middle instrumental is so kickass.)
3. In Memoriam (I said this was my 2nd favorite, but honestly any of these top 3 could be 1 on the right day. The major to minor change in the chorus riff is so damn epic!)
4. Atlas Stone
5. Somebody
6. The Path
7. Pareidolia
8. Because It's There (I've been voting this since round 1, but I'm liking it more now)
9. As Death Embraces (Honestly don't remember well)

Elite

Elite

Update with the results from Restoration.

Today the bonus rounds with the Haken demos start, after this we will move to the Consolation rounds and then the Finals.

Elite

Added the results for the demo. Today, Consolation Rounds start as well.

Elite

Update the OP with the Consolation Results. Finals start now.

Elite

I updated the OP with the final results. If anybody is interested, I could dig up the results of the 2012 and 2013 edition of the Survivor and post them here, so we can compare them. I still have them on my computer :)

If not, then this thread can be used for discussion, or anything else. It was fun, thanks for voting!

Evermind

I'm definitely interested, as I wasn't around for the previous survivors.

And of course, thank you for running this!
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

LordCost