Author Topic: The Best Lyric-Related Albums  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
The Best Lyric-Related Albums
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
As the title suggests, this thread is about which albums we all rank as the best in regards to lyrics. I'd have to spend a lot of time revisiting and analyzing my favorites to make a full-on countdown list, but I definitely have a few standout favorite albums in this regard.

Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky - Quite probably the greatest album I have ever come across, at least as far as lyrics go. Browne's lyrics on this album are devastatingly powerful and incredibly human. Love, heartbreak, death, the journey of life, joy, and the Apocalypse are all featured here. I can't sing enough praises for this album.

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black - If Late for the Sky is the album that I go to channel and connect with the most raw emotions I can muster, then Dreaming Neon Black is the album I go to when I'm emotionally devoid. This album is bleak and I have had physical reactions while listening to this album and reading Dane's lyrics as I go along (i.e. breaking into sweat, goosebumps, etc).

Marillion - Clutching at Straws - I'm not entirely sure how I would compare Clutching at Straws to my other favorites, but I can definitely say that Fish is simply among the greatest lyricists out there. His work is thought-provoking and emotionally stirring. I myself am not an alcoholic. In fact I only ever drink one bottle whenever I decide to consume alcohol, but it's largely because I recognize that I have an innate personality that leans towards addictions. I can relate to this album because its protagonist is someone I often fear I might one day become.

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian, Perfect Symmetry, pretty much ANY FW album - Fates Warning, regardless of who the lyricist is, is one of those bands that is practically guaranteed to always deliver an album's worth of fantastic lyrics. John Arch is an individual who leans more towards the fantastical and uses them as metaphors for real life problems, whereas Jim Matheos and Ray Alder lean more towards the Neil Peart school of lyricism.

Those are some of my personal favorites. What about the rest of DTF? What are your favorite lyric-based albums? :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline DerekTheater

Re: The Best Lyric-Related Albums
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
Rush - Hold Your Fire
Pink Floyd - Animals
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
You already got my favorite listed. As an alcoholic, I can say that Fish nails the descent brilliantly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
I love the lyrics on Nimrod by Green Day.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:24:11 PM »
You already got my favorite listed. As an alcoholic, I can say that Fish nails the descent brilliantly.

Yes, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws are all among my favorite lyric albums, and a lot of Fish's solo work has interesting lyrics. A lot of people call him a Peter Gabriel clone, but I prefer his lyrics to Gabriel's.

Some more favorites:

The Who - Quadrophenia
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »

Yes, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws are all among my favorite lyric albums, and a lot of Fish's solo work has interesting lyrics. A lot of people call him a Peter Gabriel clone, but I prefer his lyrics to Gabriel's.

Some more favorites:

The Who - Quadrophenia
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

As much as I like Gabriel's lyrical work, I think it's pretty safe to say that Fish is a vastly superior lyricist. He's right up there in lyrical quality with Browne, in my opinion and I think he's generally been more consistent in his quality of lyrical work than Browne too. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »
Mr. Gold.  Check out Jackson Browne's album, I'm  Alive. Talk about pouring your heart into your music and lyrics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
Mr. Gold.  Check out Jackson Browne's album, I'm  Alive. Talk about pouring your heart into your music and lyrics.

I'm already familiar with a song or two off of that album (Sky Blue and Black :heart), but I'll be sure to check it out in full later! I doubt it'll beat Late for the Sky in my book though.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
What's your opinion on post-Fish Marillion lyrics?

I think there is some great stuff, but Fish is just more clever and interesting.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »
What's your opinion on post-Fish Marillion lyrics?

I think there is some great stuff, but Fish is just more clever and interesting.

I love it a lot. H is a more universal lyricist, which has its benefits, and he's quite capable of coming up with vivid imagery in his lyrics (i.e. "reach with her toes to touch him" in The Sky Above the Rain). That said, I do think that Fish is the superior lyricist overall.

However I love both of their voices equally and associate Marillion more with H than I do Fish anyway.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
It's about his breakup with actress Daryl Hannah. They had a long and tumultuous relationship with whispers of abuse.  The musiC is perfect for the tone of the lyrics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »

Pink Floyd - Animals
Great albums listed there, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »
It's about his breakup with actress Daryl Hannah. They had a long and tumultuous relationship with whispers of abuse.  The musiC is perfect for the tone of the lyrics.

Ooh, sounds intriguing. I have a feeling I'll enjoy the album a lot then! Still, I remain rather sure that I'll still probably prefer Late for the Sky. Part of that is that while LftS does discuss about break-ups in great detail, the album is cathartic in other ways too. For a Dancer, for example, deals with both loss and our own inner struggles of mortality. It also raises a glimmer of hope in The Late Show. I dunno, I just think that album touches a lot of ground lyrically and does so brilliantly in each regard.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
I never understand why people write songs about their relationships.

1. It should be private.

2. Nobody gives a shit.

Offline adace

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
Agalloch - discography
Opeth - discography

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »

1. It should be private.

2. Nobody gives a shit.

well you could kinda say that about any life experience

maybe people just shouldn't write songs about stuff

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »

1. It should be private.

2. Nobody gives a shit.

well you could kinda say that about any life experience

maybe people just shouldn't write songs about stuff

Exactly. For me, I don't mind real-life relationships inspiring lyrics, but I'd like it to be handled maturely. I'll dislike it if it's whiny or unbelievably positive and phony. Lyricists like Browne paint their relationships in a more interesting light. There's good and there's bad and the blame is never solely on one person's side.

For example, the opening lines of Late for the Sky:

The words had all been spoken
And somehow the feeling still wasn't right
And still we continued on through the night
Tracing our steps from the beginning
Until they vanished into the air
Trying to understand how our lives had led us there
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »

1. It should be private.

2. Nobody gives a shit.

But then artists like Taylor Swift will never get any material done.   :omg:   ::)

The thing is that with music being driven by emotion, at times, and that emotion is sometimes caused by real-life event.  Sometimes, it is just natural for people to write songs about their relationships and feel a bit better releasing all of this tension out a bit.  Some might say it's cathartic.  How it is handled and interpreted is another story.

Edit: I actually looked up cathartic, right now.  It is exactly what I meant.

Exactly. For me, I don't mind real-life relationships inspiring lyrics, but I'd like it to be handled maturely. I'll dislike it if it's whiny or unbelievably positive and phony...... There's good and there's bad and the blame is never solely on one person's side.

Agree.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
The first ones that come to mind are just my favourite albums, or the ones that have any vocals/lyrics at all.

Besides, I don't think about lyrics on an album by album basis. I look at songs separately.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
The first that comes to mind is Kendrick Lamar's 'good kid, m.A.A.d city.' Insanely well written rap album in an industry riddled with a lot of bull shit.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »

1. It should be private.

2. Nobody gives a shit.

I think there are good songs regarding that.

BTW, these are some of my favorite lyric related albums:
-The Whirlwind by Transatlantic
-Fear of a blank planet by Porcupine Tree
-The Perfect element by pain of salvation
-Damnation by Opeth
-Everything by The Doors
-De-Loused in the comatorium and Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta

- () by Sigur Ros

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
For those who say writing about relationships is wrong.  You need to read and listen to Fleetwood Mac -- Rumours.  They all were breaking up with each other in the band and poured their souls into the album.

Another great relationship album is No Doubt -- Tragic Kingdom.  Gwen Stefani's personal lyrics and emotion drove that album.  Imagine being Tony Kanal the base player in No Doubt hearing the lyrics to Don't Speak.  Powerful and emotional.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
I love thoughtful lyrics of all kinds, no matter what the subject is. If you have a clever observation on taking a dump, by all means, write about it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
David Gray- A Century Ends
Any Agalloch album
Anathema- WHBWH and WS
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »

Pink Floyd - Animals
Great albums listed there, man.

Indeed.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
I love thoughtful lyrics of all kinds, no matter what the subject is. If you have a clever observation on taking a dump, by all means, write about it.

But not too literal:

Just an hour ago
in the master bath
I took a big huge dump
I wiped and flushed
and washed my hands

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »

But not too literal:

Just an hour ago
in the master bath
I took a big huge dump
I wiped and flushed
and washed my hands

That pattern of syllables looks very familiar...  :hat SUCKING ON HIS PIPE!
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
Joanna Newsom - Ys has the most beautiful lyrics of any album anywhere in time.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom, while seemingly nonsensical, probably has the most emotional and best lyrics out of any album I've heard
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Yes - Close to the Edge
Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Any The Dear Hunter album
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Really too many to count, but those were the ones that came first to mind.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
Enchant tends to have great lyrics for the most part.  I can only think of one song with some cringe worthy lyrics.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 05:19:19 AM »
Any album by Coheed and Cambria, though that comes with the concept driven nature of every album, I guess.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
Best lyricist for me has to be Mark Kozelek. He puts his heart and soul into everything he writes, and he has written some of the most heartfelt lyrics I've ever heard. In terms of albums, I think either the self-titled Red House Painters album, also known as Rollercoaster, or Sun Kil Moon's debut album Ghosts of the Great Highway are excellent showcases of Mark Kozelek's writing. To me he's on a higher level compared to most songwriters when it comes to lyrics. The most recent Sun Kil Moon album from this year, Benji was also something special.

I wish I could also mention a more popular DTF band or artist, but truth to be told, I don't think many Progressive Rock bands really have good lyrics. The Mars Volta being the exception, lyrics seem to be a common weakness for many Progressive bands. Just thinking about the lyrics of a band like Anathema makes me feel slightly sad. Sure, they had some great high points back in the earlier days (Judgement), but nowadays it's like listening to drunk high school kids philosophizing about life and stuff. Luckily the music more than enough compensates for clichéd lyrics. And Anathema was just an example, most of the newer progressive rock bands have the same problem.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Given my favorite album ever is Amused to Death, I think it goes without saying how much I like Roger Waters' lyrics. I will give another nod to Marillion's lyrics, with both singers, even if Steve Hogarth has the uncanny ability to write lyrics constantly that fit things I went through in my life.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »

1. It should be private.

2. Nobody gives a shit.

Well, for them, it's their emotional output, their way of dealing with things. As for me, I have learned more about love and life through song lyrics than I have through every other artistic medium combined. So yes, I do give a shit.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life
Bright Eyes - Lifted, Or, The Story Is In The Soil Keep Your Ear to the Ground