Author Topic: Seneca's Roulette v2 (And the Winner Is...)  (Read 29146 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 6)
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2015, 06:27:58 AM »
Take Hold is an awesome tune, what a performance by Geoff!!
I would've personally gone with Roads To Madness. But Queensryche is on the list in the OP, with a couple albums in parentheses. I was actually thinking of sending a track by a band on the list that's not on the parenthetical album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2015, 12:05:11 PM »
Dammit. I need to stop failing
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
I'm glad I won the round, even if you gave me a score that tied lonestar.

I don't have much in the Bob Dylan vein, matter of fact I had a one-two-three punch I was saving for the last rounds.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »
Sent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »
Sent

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
I actually sent with the Dylan/Young theme in mind. Did everyone else?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2015, 05:40:57 PM »
I did but my 90's folk is much better
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
I don't have any folk! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »
I do. Not a ton but I got to see some cool stuff in small clubs
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »

Not a chance

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »

No, but I have sunk the Dagger of Betrayal into another players back  :xbones

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
Dagger of Betrayal

:lol

I think I'm more curious about this than about results.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
Dagger of Betrayal

:lol

I think I'm more curious about this than about results.

Right between your 4th and 5th vertebrae.  And yes, it was you RJ.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
Hmmm, wondering if it's 80s Marillion or IQ, or if you went with one of the rock gods not on the list.. there are two I've yet to send.

One's definitely possible for you to send, the other would fucking shock me if anyone sent them.

Thanks for giving me something to think about on this otherwise lazy day of couch sitting, good looking out bro  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2015, 11:22:16 AM »
Marillion is on his banned list.

You had five rounds to send the band I sent.  I already know what I'm sending the last two rounds, and I doubt anyone is going to scoop me on those bands.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
Yeah Marillion wouldn't be allowed. IQ, I've only heard a couple more recent songs from (Road of Bones).
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
I need Elite!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
Another week, another good round! I have a busy weekend, so I'm going to post these write-ups in a sloppy and rushed fashion.

LieLowTheWantedMan Exuma - Exuma, the Obeah Man
This just isn't my cup of tea, I'm sorry to say. I could go through all the thing that I dislike about the song, but that would essentially just boil down to 'everything'. Sorry man, this is not the kind of folk I was looking for.  6

Elite Supertramp - Fools Overture
Yes, Supertramp was on my banned artists list, but I'll take this song anyhow. Nice relaxing piano intro, but a little boring to be honest.  Then the bells and what not come in and the song starts to really take off. But by that point I've already lost 3 and a half minutes of my life. Time I'm never going to get back, and I'm just not sure that intro was worth it. The song definitely picks up a bit once the vocals enter (halfway into the song), but that's not an easy intro to recover from. 6.5

kingshmegland Eagles - Seven Bridges Road
Explaining why I was disappointed with this song is very simple. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of vocal harmonies. Normally it's not enough to really turn me off from a band and rarely I actually really enjoy them, but this particular song doesn't fit into either of those categories. It all sounds a bit too a cappella for my taste (never have like a cappella, unfortunately). It is a bit more on the folk side of things, which I appreciated. But this isn't quite doing it for me  :sad panda:  7

Nekov Pendragon - Insomnia
Pendragon is a band I've actually heard a bit from, but never from their earliest material. This ain't bad. Not at all. Good bang/buck ratio, without a doubt. Instrumentally, I can definitely get behind this. I'm not thrilled with the vocalist, but he's not bad either. Solid submission. 7.5

Dr. DTVT IQ - Widow's Peak
Dagger of betrayal, maybe, but lonestar still beat you out this round by a hair. Along with Pendragon, this is the second 'neo-prog' song/band this round. I like this one a bit more, but I can't exactly put my finger on why. There's just a bit more meat on this one. I especially love the bit from 4:40 onwards (was this album in 'inspiration corner' when DT wrote Octavarium?) Good stuff. 8

Scorpion Death - Leprosy
Going down a heavier route than everyone else this round, not for the first time either. I own and listen to Symbolic somewhat frequently, but I've never heard any of their other stuff. This particular song doesn't sound all that different from anything on that album, but I do feel like his growl-annunciation might have improved by the time they released Symbolic (I'm catching less lyrics in this one). The riffing is about what I would expect, which is quite good. I'm going to check out the full album now, thanks! 8

lonestar and jingle.boy Crosby Stills Nash - Carry On/Questions and Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Both of you stepped up to the plate per my request for something a bit more folky this round, and both songs were great. I don't have a favorite between the two, but I also don't like them for the exact same reasons, which is nice. I'm going to check out a lot more from this iconic band. 8.5's

TAC Tesla - We're No Good Together
Another really good submission from you (I've probably said that every round). lonestar sent me a Tesla song in my last roulette and I didn't really enjoy it all that much (it was live version though, which in hindsight I don't think was as good as the original). jjrock also tried to submit that same song earlier in the roulette and I had to turn him down, but encouraged that he try something different from Tesla. He didn't, so I figured I'd probably not get another crack at them. I'm really thankful that you've given me that crack. I love how this song is essiantly just one large crescendo, with a really satisfying payoff to cap it all off. Really good stuff 8.5

jjrock88 Coney Hatch - First Time for Everything
Even now that I've let the songs sink in a bit more, I'm continually surprised that yours is my favorite. That's not meant to be a slight at you, I just really like this one  :lol Love that innfectiously catchy chorus! In fact, I love everything about this song. 9

Standings:
TAC  50
Elite  47.5
Dr. DTVT  47
jingle.boy  47
Scorpion  46.5
lonestar  46
jjrock88  46
kingshmegland  44.5
LieLowTheWantedMan  43.5
Nekov  43.5

Only two rounds left now. Someone needs to take TAC down. All it takes is a couple mediocre songs from him and a couple great songs from one of you near the top and he'll be toppled.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 7)
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
Look at the old farts picking the same song. :lol

I'd say great minds....... but....... :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
How the hell am I still in second place? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
Haha I knew it wasn't what you were looking for, I just wanted to try something weird. But fair enough. :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Coney Hatch is just a fantastic hard rock band. Underrated!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »
Seneca, what Tesla song were you given previously?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
I had sent him Modern Day Cowboy

Sent for this round

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
I had sent him Modern Day Cowboy

That's an awesome song. The only reason I sent We're No Good Together was because Seneca mentioned Dylan/Young, and I thought that might fit.

Also, I was going to send Death too, but I thought they were on the banned band list.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:00:33 PM by TAC »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2015, 11:30:21 PM »
Cool, enjoying diggin in all these oldies.

Sent...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
Sent

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
Still deciding..

Someone needs to take TAC down.
Hey..that's not nice.

OK..sent!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:40:48 PM by TAC »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »
Sent!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2015, 02:48:55 PM »
Thanks, I think that's everyone! I should have results up by either Friday or Saturday, and then on to the final round.

I have a lengthy list of bands to dive into once we wrap this up. Already been listening to a couple albums from the earlier rounds quite a bit. Feeling nostalgic for a time when I wasn't even alive. Or maybe I was...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
I'm not going to let this go onto the second page. It's been a week since I posted the last set of results so here I am again. It was one of the most consistent rounds yet. I apologize in advance for the short write-ups.

Scorpion Blue Oyster Cult - “Then Came the Last Days of May”
Chills, straight from the beginning as the clean guitar sucks me right into the song. At first, I resented the fact that you sent me another Blue Oyster Cult song after RJ had already convinced me to check them out earlier in the roulette, but I never disallowed it and I really am thankful now. Because this is the better song. Really haunting, can’t wait to check out more! 9

Dr. DTVT Worlds- “The Fifth Wheel”
I’d never even heard of this band before, so I had no idea what to expect. Really good submission though; second best of the round, in fact. It’s really well-focused prog rock. 8.5

jingle.boy George Thorogood and the Destroyers - “One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer”
It’s story time! Each sentence punctuated with a nice, bluesy guitar lick. The story is pretty damn fun(ny). Could’ve very easily gone to hell if not for the well delivered narration though. I quite enjoy it when he eventually starts singing. But, not to get derailed, I shouldn’t get away from the real highlight of the song.The tasteful, economical guitar playing. Reminds me a bit of the Stevie Ray Vaughan track that I got earlier in the roulette, in that regard. Overall this song is a bit more interesting than that one, though. 8

kingshmegland Big Country - “Peace in Our Time”
Well you were right. This one could be described as a little bit progressive (not much though) and it definitely has some good melody and hooks. The essentially-one-line chorus is catchy and pleasant, even if it’s not super exciting. I’m going to give Big Country some more listens, would you recommend this particular album above the rest? 8

lonestar The Who - “Doctor Jimmy”
One of the longer songs of the round, at 8:40. My favorite parts of the song come at about the 3:30 and 6:30 minute marks, when the tempo slows down a bit. Not crazy about the chorus and the transitions into and out of it. Sounds a bit like a parade march at times, what with all the horns or trumpets. Not surprisingly, as is often the case when I listen to songs out of the context of their respective concept albums, I suspect I’d probably get more out of it if I heard the full album. But still, one of the better songs of the round. 8

LieLowTheWantedMan Talking Heads - "Crosseyed and Painless”
A little quirky here- why am I not surprised? Even still, it’s a bit more accessible than some of the other stuff you’ve sent me. And definitely a lot better than last round. Song really makes me want to dance. A trance-like dance, that is. Liking the vocals a lot. Some of the other effects are kind of wacky, but they don’t interrupt the flow of the song at all. 8

Nekov Sting - “Shadows in the Rain”
Not a big fan of Sting’s vocals here. It almost sounds like he’s intentionally mumbling. With that being said, the rest of the song more than makes up for that. The propulsive, slightly frantic drumming, the brass, the keyboard solo, it’s all great. 7.5

jjrock88 Icon - “Danger Calling”
Straight forward melodic hard rock, here. No big surprises, from you. But, similar to the Coney Hatch song from last round, this is one of my favorites from you this roulette. It’s only three and half minutes, which is about as long as I’d want it to be. Maybe a touch repetitive, but I don’t have a problem with that at all. Nice choice. 7.5

TAC Living Colour - “Cult of Personality”
This one is yours to lose, at this point. A really awesome song in this round would’ve all but locked it up. I’m not sure this one is really awesome or not. It’s got a really interesting mix of hard rock and I guess funk? The main riff is very repetitive, but I enjoy the way it pulses throughout the song. Guitar solo is the highlight- really enjoy that. 7.5

Elite Duncan Browne - “Wild Places”
So apparently this was somewhat of a hit in the Netherlands, huh? I don’t really enjoy the quieter parts of the song when he’s of whispering, but do enjoy the way those sections build into the chorus. Also really like the backing vocals. It all ebbs and flows really nicely, in a dreamy kind of way. It all changes a bit with the instrumental last minute and a half, which is interesting and not expected. Not sure whether or not it’s adding much to the song, though. Overall, this one has some really nice moments but also leaves a lot to be desired at times. 7

Standings:
TAC  57.5
Dr. DTVT  55.5
Scorpion  55.5
jingle.boy  55
Elite  54.5
lonestar  54
jjrock88  53.5
kingshmegland  52.5
LieLowTheWantedMan  51.5
Nekov  51

TAC's previous 3 and 3.5 leads over DTVT and Scorpion, respectively, has been cut to 2. jingle.boy and Elite also have a chance, albeit not as great, depending on how much TAC does or does note slip up.

I might give out a couple bonus points mid-week for songs/bands that have grown on me during the course of the roulette.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Final Round)
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2015, 04:41:16 PM »
I was going to send that George Thorogood song earlier, but I decided to abandon the old rock when it wasn't working for me.  Hopefully my previous songs are the ones earning points.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2015, 04:54:35 PM »
How the hell am I still in second place? :lol

I've yet to enjoy a song as much as your first submission in this roulette. And the second was also definitely top 5 overall, so far. You got off to a really strong start. You've certainly slipped, but it's been slow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
I'll send you s few songs from each album tomorrow!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2015, 05:39:24 PM »
Sent!

It wouldn't be a pre 90's roulette without me sending something from this artist. It was just tough deciding which song.
Hopefully I can stay within 2 points of Scorpion!