Author Topic: Seneca's Roulette v2 (And the Winner Is...)  (Read 28882 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 2)
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »
Opeth has a pretty good cover of Bridges of Sigh

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 1)
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
I checked out a couple other tracks from Tago Mago and they were, once again, interesting. Kind of a lot for me to swallow, but still a fun and worthwhile meal.
Did you get any of the weird ones? :lol (Aumgn, Peking O)

And yeah, Tago Mago is definitely their most "out there" album. Surprisingly, it's only my third favourite despite it being mostly declared their best. I like Ege Bamyasi (more "straightforward" but still with its share of weirdness, especially on Soup) and Future Days (their most minimalist album, even strays into ambient territory at parts and has a really summery vibe throughout. Probably the least weird of the three) more.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2015, 12:54:46 PM »
I checked out a couple other tracks from Tago Mago and they were, once again, interesting. Kind of a lot for me to swallow, but still a fun and worthwhile meal.
Did you get any of the weird ones? :lol (Aumgn, Peking O)

And yeah, Tago Mago is definitely their most "out there" album. Surprisingly, it's only my third favourite despite it being mostly declared their best. I like Ege Bamyasi (more "straightforward" but still with its share of weirdness, especially on Soup) and Future Days (their most minimalist album, even strays into ambient territory at parts and has a really summery vibe throughout. Probably the least weird of the three) more.

The Tago Mago songs I listened to were Mushroom and Bring Me Coffee or Tea. I'll try to give those other two albums a try when I have the time. A little more accessible sounds promising.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »
Ahh yeah Bring Me Coffee Or Tea is a pretty weird one, though the two I mentioned are insanity basically, haha. The drums going on in Mushroom were what I was talking about in my message when I mentioned it being a hallmark of their sound. Anyways, hope you enjoy their other stuff. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:04:47 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »
Glad you liked Saxon and are interested in looking into more NWOBHM.

As far as Saxon's albums go, their classics from the 80's would be "Power and the Glory" and "Denim and Leather"

But this is a band that has just gotten better and better with age; their most recent album, "Sacrifice" is fantastic.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
And just sent you round 2!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »
Glad you liked Saxon and are interested in looking into more NWOBHM.

As far as Saxon's albums go, their classics from the 80's would be "Power and the Glory" and "Denim and Leather"

But this is a band that has just gotten better and better with age; their most recent album, "Sacrifice" is fantastic.

You must listen to JJ.

Edit: ..and Sent!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:32:39 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2015, 11:50:12 PM »
DENIM AND LEATHER, BROUGHT US ALL TOGETHER...IT WAS YOU, THAT SET THE SPIRIT FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bout twenty of us with a bag of weed and a keg in some remote underdeveloped intersection, this cranking out of my buddy's car stereo, pretty much every Friday night my senior year.

Ahhhhhhhhhh the memories................

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2015, 06:53:25 AM »
Denim and Leather it is!  :smiley:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
and landing strips.   :biggrin:

Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
DENIM AND LEATHER, BROUGHT US ALL TOGETHER...IT WAS YOU, THAT SET THE SPIRIT FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bout twenty of us with a bag of weed and a keg in some remote underdeveloped intersection, this cranking out of my buddy's car stereo, pretty much every Friday night my senior year.

It never gets old.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Well, I was shooting in the dark, same as I'm doing this round

Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »

It never gets old.

And it was always the dude with the El Camino that had the sweet stereo, am I right??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »
Well it was usually coming from my car, but unfortunately, it was not an El Camino. :)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
when I was younger my dad gave me his 1985 LeBaron........great tape deck to blast Saxon in

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2015, 05:31:23 PM »
This thread is dripping with nostalgia...

Only missing Scorpion now. If he gets something to me soon I should be able to listen and score by no later than the end of the week.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »
I'm going to be starting classes tomorrow and the pace will probably return to closer to one week per round, but since I've had a lot more time these first two rounds have been super quick. I've listened to all the songs a handful of times and feel comfortable enough sharing the results now. Overall, there are a couple really good songs at the top, but also more songs on the lower end of the scale this time around.

Elite  Deep Purple - Child in Time
Of course, I've heard Smoke on the Water before and I'm familiar with Deep Purple as being a massive influence on so much of the music that I listen to now. But I've also obviously never checked them out very thoroughly. Probably a mistake on my part, if this song is any indication as to what I might find. Because this is fantastic. Truly epic song, with great dynamic changes, awesome vocals, and a marvelous guitar solo. The organ adds a really nice touch too. I'm not going to dwell on it much more, just suffice it to say that you knocked it out of the park again.  9

kingshmegland  Toto - Hydra
I've never even heard of these guys, so I had no idea what to expect. It didn't take long to figure it out though- this is a great song. Once again you're atop the list of non-Elite submissions, and this one is even a step up from the Jon Butcher song. I'm having a hard time trying to articulate why I enjoy this song so much. Rhythmically it's a real joy and makes me want to dance. The vocals are also perfect for the song. I didn't read the lyrics, but as far as I can tell there's something fun going on here involving a dragon and solitaire and other odd stuff. All in all, I really enjoyed this one and I look forward to checking out the rest of the album (and hopefully others too).   8.5

Nekov  The Waterboys - Old England
This is a sizable step up from your last submission. Once again piano driven, which I once again appreciated. Of the songs at the top this seems to be the most simple. The vocals didn't really grab me the first couple times I listened to the song, but they've only grown on me. The brass, bells and choir (though only used sparingly) really add another dimension to the song. The way the song is set up really demands that attention is paid to the lyrics, and I really do like the lyrics. They have a bite to them that, at times, reminds me of one of my favorites: Bob Dylan.

Where the time stained of england flies
Where the homes are warm and the mothers sigh
Where comedians laugh and babies cry
Where criminals are televised politicians fraternize
Journalists are dignified and everyone is civilised
And children stare with heroin eyes
Old england!

:tup :tup  8.5

Scorpion Camel - Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider
While this is a multi-movement epic, everything flows quite well here. Flows in a dreamy sort of way, which really puts me at peace. The keyboards/moog/mellotron/whatever the else is going on there do a lot to contribute to that peaceful and dreamy mood. Even when the pace picks up near the four minute mark, I'm never really overwhelmed. It all just sort of makes sense and I might even say that it's predictable. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, quite the opposite. It's like everything is right where you would expect it to be, because it fits best there. Nothing is tedious, nothing is boring, nothing bothers me. At the same time, I'm not sure there's anything really astonishing about this song. Never do I feel blown away. It's just really solid on every level and a really enjoyable listen start to finish. I'll definitely be checking out more from Camel (been on my to-do list for a while now, anyways). Also, bonus points for the subject matter of the lyrics! 8.5

TAC  Thin Lizzy - Emerald
When I saw that I had two Thin Lizzy songs this round I expected that they'd probably have leave a similar impression and score the same. As it turned out, I enjoyed this particular song a bit more than the other. It's softer on the edges and I like the guitar work more. Both are good guitar songs, but this one just left me wanting more. I'll have more to say about Thin Lizzy farther down in the write-ups, so I'll leave this one here. 8

Dr. DTVT  Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire
My first impression, as I payed attention to the bluesy vocals and the steadily walking bass line was that I might be walking into an old saloon or something of the sort. The music video certainly didn't help me escape that feeling and I consequently couldn't help but feel that this was quite a dated song. That was a bit of a turn off, and it initially got in the way of my enjoying the song. I've kind of accepted that now, thankfully, because there is still a lot here to enjoy. Most noteworthy is (of course) the guitar. Stevie Ray Vaughan is a greaaat guitarist. There's something about his playing that's very economical. Here, it's not about the number of notes and the speed of his playing, but rather choosing just the right note and letting it develop at a natural pace. The solo is mighty impressive, but also shows remarkable restraint. Step up from the Van Halen song! 7.5

lonestar  Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter
This one is a little tricky for me, because I enjoy the verses quite a bit but don't particularly care for the chorus. The motorcycle guitar effect kind of rubs me the wrong way. It feels a bit gimmicky, to be honest. It's not painful or anything, and when I don't overthink it I hardly notice it, but I don't think it really adds anything to my enjoyment of the song. I do enjoy the vocals though from Sammy Hagar. Although different in many different ways, this song actually reminds me of a more straightforward, hard rock, poor man's Red Barchetta. I don't think it's a very fair comparison, but I couldn't help but think about it. 6.5

jingle.boy  Mr. Big - Addicted to that Rush
It's a fun song to listen to, I'll give you that. It actually reminds me a bit of the Doc's first submission, Hot for Teacher. I don't really have any issues with the song. Apart from not having EVH on the guitar, this song might actually be a bit better. The bass guitar stands out, especially. At the same time, it's a bit repetitive and unfortunately it starts to wear me down after a few listens. Nothing bad here... just nothing super exciting either. 6.5

jjrock88  Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning
I enjoyed the other Thin Lizzy song enough to get them on my 'check out' list, but this one alone probably wouldn't have done it. It's a little rougher than "Emerald", and not in a way that makes me happy. I'm not a big fan of the verging-on-breakneck speed with which the vocals are often delivered. Along with the rawness that I mentioned, it almost feels kind of punkish. I don't necessarily dislike punk, but I don't really enjoy that kind of texture on Thin Lizzy. I'll still definitely check them out though. 6.5

LieLowTheWantedMan  Cardiacs - In a City Lining
Once again, an interesting song. It's a bit wild but in a very bouncy sort of way. I don't particularly like that bounciness, to be honest. Even so, I can enjoy most of this song most of the time. It loses me a bit in the sections when the tempo picks up a lot. There's a recklessness there that unnerves me a bit. Funnily enough, since you mentioned them, this is the same problem I have with Mr. Bungle. Their songs (and this one too) jumps from theme to theme in a manic way that makes for a fun first listen. But once I've become more familiar with those shifts, and the element of surprise wears off, I'm just left with a sort of jumbled song that I don't necessarily want to listen to again. Sorry  :-[ 6

Standings:
Elite  18.5
kingshmegland  16.5
Scorpion  16
TAC  16
Nekov  15
Dr. DTVT  14.5
lonestar  14.5
jingle.boy  14.5
jjrock88  14
LieLowTheWantedMan  13.5

Obviously Elite has the edge right now, but it's still very early in this race and a lot can happen.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Round 3)
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
round 3 sent

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
 :'(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
Child In Time is a great tune. I would have never have thought to send it. Good call Elite!

Tough to decide what to send. The man likes piano. Hmm..

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
I'm gonna keep trying quirkier stuff till it works. :D Sent!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »
Sent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
Sent!

No piano though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:13:42 PM by TAC »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
SWEET!!  That album Hydra is a killer album.  Listen to the whole album.  I'm burning some music for my boss who's showing up tomorrow then I'll work on picking the next song to send!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
SWEET!!  That album Hydra is a killer album.  Listen to the whole album.
King, just checked out Hydra (the song). Definitely not for me. I will say that if Dream Theater covered it, it would probably be OK though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
King, just checked out Hydra (the song). Definitely not for me. I will say that if Dream Theater covered it, it would probably be OK though.

If it was your roulette TAC, I would not send that song.  I know it's not up your alley. 

And yes, like the Queen cover, I'd love to here DT cover that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »
If it was your roulette TAC, I would not send that song.  I know it's not up your alley. 
My roulette is a year away! :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
Holy Moly Batman!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »
Cool! That part you quoted from the lyrics is my favorite part of the song.

Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »

Definitely will. Keep em coming!

Cool! That part you quoted from the lyrics is my favorite part of the song.

Yeah, mine too  :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »
Sent!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2015, 06:49:24 PM »
Nice to see some artists that I've heard of appearing in a roulette .  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:28 PM »
Already forgot what I sent. I'm so fucking old.

(middle of the pack for this Geritol gang though  :lol  )

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »
Already forgot what I sent. I'm so fucking old.

(middle of the pack for this Geritol gang though  :lol  )

I'd make fun of you but I've done that before. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin