Author Topic: Seneca's Roulette v2 (And the Winner Is...)  (Read 28894 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (Final Round)
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2015, 09:50:31 PM »
Fair assessment of that tune, and yes, Quadrophenia should be high on anyone's must listen list.

This is an interesting scenario here, winning this thing, though tricky, is not totally unfeasible. Think I'm gonna go ahead with the tune I selected, can't leave the roulette without sending this one. Sending later tonight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2015, 11:15:38 PM »
Sent!

It wouldn't be a pre 90's roulette without me sending something from this artist. It was just tough deciding which song.
Hopefully I can stay within 2 points of Scorpion!

Iron Maiden?

Sent for last round

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
and Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2015, 03:08:18 PM »
Sent!

It wouldn't be a pre 90's roulette without me sending something from this artist. It was just tough deciding which song.
Hopefully I can stay within 2 points of Scorpion!

Iron Maiden?
I think they were banned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
Yeah, no Maiden allowed. And the song that he did settle on was also not allowed  :-\

Whoops. no it was definitely allowed. I got lost somewhere along the way and thought that jjrock was responding to lonestar, whose song was rejected.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:51:11 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
That's what you get hanging around so many Fogeys! It starts to rub off on you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
That's what you get hanging around so many Fogeys! It starts to rub off on you.

Giggity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »
Kaboom

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »
I have a couple different scores to bump up a little bit over the course of the week, but I'll start with this one.

jjrock88
Looking all the way back to the first round and Saxon's "Power and Glory", I think you deserved more points than I originally gave you. It's been one of my most-played songs throughout the roulette and it got me to buy Denim and Leather. I've listened to that album in full a handful of times now, with some of the tracks getting probably closer to 10 plays or so. I'm really enjoying it. Even though you're not likely to win the roulette at this point, I greatly appreciate this particular introduction. You've succeeded in making me feel nostalgic for a time in which I wasn't even alive  :lol

and that's worth an extra point.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:59:03 PM by senecadawg2 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (There was magic in the air)
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
Saxon is a GREAT band. They have a huge discography and they as good now as they have ever been. Power And The Glory is a great place to start. D&L is a cool album too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »
Saxon is a GREAT band. They have a huge discography and they as good now as they have ever been. Power And The Glory is a great place to start. D&L is a cool album too.

Very underrated. Work your way through their entire discography and you just may have a new favorite band lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
New thread title? Did someone send Helloween's Halloween? I actually almost sent that.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
No, it has more to do with the line from "And the Bands Played On" off of Denim and Leather.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
No, it has more to do with the line from "And the Bands Played On" off of Denim and Leather.

NICE!!!! :metal
That is a GREAT tune!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
It's my favorite from the album and has been stuck in my head off-and-on for the past couple weeks. Short and sweet, too  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
It was the first Saxon song I ever heard.  Hooked ever since.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »

Thats one of my favorites from the band...............check out "747 Strangers in the Night"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »
I quite enjoyed 747... Definitely looking forward to digging deeper. As I am with this band:

Blue Oyster Cult - "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"
As I mentioned in the most recent batch of write-ups, I think I prefer the song sent by Scorpion. Nonetheless, this one is also great and deserving of a slight bump from the score I originally gave it. Been listening to it quite a bit and I particularly enjoy the way it balances its haunting atmosphere and unusual lyrics.

Extra half a point for lonestar!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:03:13 AM by senecadawg2 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (We've been eating up our brains)
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:46 PM »
Sweet man, when this is done you need to watch the original Heavy Metal movie. That's where I first fell in love with that track. Many other great songs on it, and a disturbing amount of epic cartoon boobage to boot.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »
The last extra point is split between Dr. DTVT and Scorpion for their earlier Rainbow and Death songs, respectively. Both have grown on me and both warrant more investigation on my part.

Standings before Final Round:
TAC  57.5
Dr. DTVT  55.5+.5=56
Scorpion  55.5+.5=56
jingle.boy  55
jjrock88  53.5+1=54.5
Elite  54.5
lonestar  54+.5=54.5
kingshmegland  52.5
LieLowTheWantedMan  51.5
Nekov  51

Thanks to everyone for playing- I got a lot of great music and I can't wait to dig deeper! I should have the final results up by Saturday after giving this batch of songs a few more listens in the next couple of days.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
As much as I hope I finished the comeback, my submission has hit and miss potential, and since it is an instrumental that risk is multiplied.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
As much as I hope I finished the comeback, my submission has hit and miss potential, and since it is an instrumental that risk is multiplied.

Yeah I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you  :lol maybe

It takes a lot to really wow me with an instrumental

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2015, 12:25:37 PM »
You meany. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »
Seems my margin for error has been reduced by 25%. Can I have a bonus point? ;D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
Seems my margin for error has been reduced by 25%. Can I have a bonus point? ;D

Since they were pretty much reserved for songs that didn't blow me away after only a handful of listens, most of yours didn't really qualify. You consistently sent me songs that were either the best, or very nearly the best, in their respective rounds. Not as much space for those ones to grow.   ;D

I also thought about giving a little bit of a bonus for one of Nekov's earlier songs which has aged well on me, but I figured that wasn't really all that necessary. Big honorable mention for it though   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »
 :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »
I also thought about giving a little bit of a bonus for one of Nekov's earlier songs which has aged well on me, but I figured that wasn't really all that necessary. Big honorable mention for it though   :lol

:'(

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2015, 04:36:03 PM »
Hah, sorry man. If it makes you feel better, your song might be an early favorite from this batch. Maybe  ;)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
Once again, I thank everyone for playing along with me! I was gifted a lot of great music over the course of the last 6 weeks or so. In that time, given all the old music, I feel like I've aged more than 6 weeks  :smiley:

Elite,  Queen - Innuendo
Obviously heard some Queen before, but this one is new for me. Freddie Mercury is pretty strong, as usual. Everything else fits in pretty well, musically. Highlight of the song for me comes about 3 minutes in, as I’m sure comes as no surprise to you. Love that little solo! The vocals that immediately follow it are a pretty good example of not-so-strong vocals though, imo. I’m talking about the uber-theatrical style. Just not my thing. And frankly, it spoils the rest of the song… 6.5

LieLow,  Galaxie 500 - Decomposing Trees
One of the more relaxing songs of the round, and the whole roulette for that matter, and I can feel it only seconds in. The vocals are pretty nice, though not great, and I love the way the saxophone(?) mirrors it before taking a more predominant role in the last minute of the song. It’s all a pretty steady buildup. Not sure if the pay off is quite as strong as I was hoping for, but it builds nonetheless.  7

jingle.boy,  Gowan - A Criminal Mind
It takes its time to get all the way through the intro and into the meat of the song. And by taking it’s time, I mean that it uses most of the song. The whole thing feels like a gigantic tease, to be honest. The buildup is slow and repetitive and I keep waiting for it to break into another level. Around the 6 minute mark I feel like it does fill out more and approach what seems to be a climax, but ultimately I’m left wanting more. Sorry

kingshmegland,  GTR - Imagining
Sadly, you’re not going to win the roulette. It’s just too late and your submissions were a little inconsistent for me over the course of the last couple months. The ones that I did enjoy though were some of my favorites of all. This particular song is actually a pretty good example of what I’m talking about. Parts of the song- namely the intro, the instrumental work during the 5th minute of the song and the outro- are great. I can’t say that the rest of the song thrilled me though. Especially the vocals and its repetitive line(s).  7

Dr. DTVT, Tony MacAlpine - Tears of Sahara
Really interesting choice on your part, to go for an instrumental in this final round. With ground to make up, no less. And a short instrumental, it should be noted! Pretty ballsy, but unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to pay off for you. Don’t get me wrong, it’s actually quite good. I really like how focused and melodic it is. I really like how balanced the playing is between fast runs and the main lick. Unfortunately, liking it is not going to be enough. I needed to love it.  7.5

TAC,  Alice Cooper - Pass the Gun Around
As was so often the case during this roulette, I entered this song with a few presumptions based on what I knew of the artist. So when I saw Alice Cooper I thought oh hey- shock rock. Which is something that has turned me off a bit from certain songs and artists in the past. Thankfully, and surprisingly, this wasn’t at all what I would have expected in such a song. Between the beautiful guitar solo and the heartfelt vocals I think you’ve sold me! Where do I go from here?  8

lonestar,  Triumph - Headed for Nowhere
So as I mentioned before, I’m quite familiar with both Just a Game (awesome album) and the song Magic Power. According to my very quick research, this song and album came a little bit later. Unfortunately it sounds like they may be out of their prime. That’s not to say that this isn’t a good song, I’m just not sure whether I like it as much as the aforementioned Triumph songs that I’ve heard. Not sure what exactly it is about the song, but I’m not as wowed as I thought I might be.  8

jjrock88,  Stryper - Soldiers Under Command
Another not-so-unpredictable song from you and another pretty good one. I really like the kind of drawn-out chorus, if that makes sense. Enjoy the guitar solo, even if it’s not blowing me away. The whole song feels very anthemic to me, which is nice and definitely cannot be said for the rest of the songs here. Which Stryper album would you suggest I check out first?  8

Scorpion,  Fates Warning - Valley of Dolls
I don’t think I like this song quite as much as the one Mason submitted in one of the earlier rounds, but this is still a strong one. Once again, I’m enjoying the John Arch vocals and also definitely understanding why a lot of people might be put off by them. Everything else though, and I mean everything, is just right. Nothing in this 5:21 that I would even think about removing. Really strong submission, but will it be enough?  8.5

Nekov,  Eloy - Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
I realize it might not be worth all that much to you now, when you have no chance of winning the roulette, but this was an awesome song! A bit lengthy, relative to the rest of the submissions, but definitely worth it. The intro sets the tone just right. Absolutely love the atmosphere of those first couple minutes. Reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd, as I’m sure you’re aware of. Seriously, I can hear it in just about all aspects of the song. But that’s A-okay. Really beautiful song from a band that I’ve never heard about!  9

Final Standings:
TAC  57.5+8=65.5
Scorpion  56+8.5=64.5
Dr. DTVT  56+7.5=63.5
jjrock88  54.5+8=62.5
lonestar  54.5+8=62.5
jingle.boy  55+7=62
Elite  54.5+6.5=61
Nekov  51+9=60
kingshmegland  52.5+7=59.5
LieLowTheWantedMan  51.5+7=58.5

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca's Roulette v2 (And the Winner Is...)
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2015, 09:36:38 AM »
Congrats TAC! Since Irons were banned I kinda expected you to send Alice Cooper and you didn't disappoint. :rollin

I enjoyed following this. Good pace overall too. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
I avoided last place  :metal

Glad you liked the song. Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes is actually the name of the album that song is from  ;)

This was fun and it ended just in time for me to go on vacations. Thanks for running this in a timely and fun way

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »
Congrats Tim!!! :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »
So close! Oh well, still happy that you liked my submissions overall.

Congrats TAC, good game.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Congrats to teh winnah!!!!

And a quality and fun roulette, was fun digging into all the oldies, and I never did send any of The Kinks. Oh well :dunno: