Author Topic: Mangini during Space Dye Vest on dvd  (Read 4738 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: Mangini during Space Dye Vest on dvd
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 12:36:31 AM »
I find performance quite reverent to the mood of the song.  I mean, the thoughtful pose in the second verse and crossed arms before the bridge.  Wow.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 02:09:51 AM »
So, seeing MM goof around during the song just begs the question: why play the song in the first place? Just for completion sake?
I used to say "play SDV! Play Eve!", but now I actually don't want them to play Eve, because how they perform SDV.
I think it's sort of for completion'a sake, so that many fans who like it finally get to hear it live. Nothing wrong with that, after all, musicians don't primarily play to entertain themselves. And they did a great job and completely nailed the performance. MM getting into it in the second half is actually one of my favorite bits on the whole DVD. Not wanting them to play Eve just because MM did a pendulum motion while hitting the cymbals seems woefully out of proportion and unreasonable. It's not like they deficated all over the original version.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:15:48 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »
what's wrong with the pendulum swing in the first half of the song?

I think the director of the DVD should not even have focused on him in that part because he was not even lighted. When I used to perform, when the spotlight is not on us, we do some of this kind of shit because we know that nobody was focusing on us.  :lol We do it to relieve the tension and the "itch" of not doing anything while music is being played.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 02:49:28 AM »
what's wrong with the pendulum swing in the first half of the song?

I think the director of the DVD should not even have focused on him in that part because he was not even lighted. When I used to perform, when the spotlight is not on us, we do some of this kind of shit because we know that nobody was focusing on us.  :lol We do it to relieve the tension and the "itch" of not doing anything while music is being played.

Couldn't agree more.

I mean, of course a musician is self-aware enough to control and express their behaviour appropriately on stage. And I don't think any of the DT members are egotistic enough to require the attention of being deliberately goofy. He's just being himself and enjoying it in his own way even when he's not playing. I find it beyond absurd that anyone would impose these sort of expectations about his demeanour. I can't deny that it might be a genuine reaction for some, but I still find it absurd. :P

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 03:16:17 AM »
the pendulum hit also has a musical purpose. he's trying to hit the two cymbals of different notes with the right hand because he's maintaining a sort of metronome effect. he can not use his left hand because his left hand will be used to hit some cymbals and toms in his left hand side while he is doing the metronome.

now about him taking time to talk with JM, at least we got confirmation that JM actually talks, even if indirectly.  :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 04:06:53 AM »
the pendulum hit also has a musical purpose. he's trying to hit the two cymbals of different notes with the right hand because he's maintaining a sort of metronome effect. he can not use his left hand because his left hand will be used to hit some cymbals and toms in his left hand side while he is doing the metronome.

Nah.  Left hand isn't doing anything when he first starts doing the pendulum thing.  Its just a showmanship thing, nothing more.  He could just as easily play the same ride cymbal for the four measures rather than switching between the two different rides - he's doing it because he thinks it looks cool. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 04:42:09 AM »

Nah.  Left hand isn't doing anything when he first starts doing the pendulum thing.  Its just a showmanship thing, nothing more.  He could just as easily play the same ride cymbal for the four measures rather than switching between the two different rides - he's doing it because he thinks it looks cool.

There is showmanship there, but the two rides are different and they produce different sounds. The first four measures, his left hand indeed was not doing anything, but it does two crash hits later, while his right hand was still doing the metronome. And while you may not notice much difference, that really is just the way MM is very anal about his use of cymbals. He also does the same thing in the intro and the outro of Illumination Theory, where he he shifts to different cymbals based on pitch.

He gave a very good interview once on how he plays cymbals in songs. https://www.metalsucks.net/2011/09/29/rigged-dream-theater%E2%80%99s-mike-mangini-takes-you-through-every-piece-of-his-mega-drumkit-part-2/

"I have two ride cymbals. On my far left is a tight earth ride (a real thick, heavy thing) and on my right side it’s a Zildjian 20″ A Custom cymbal which is a more open sound. It’s a very airy sound, not so much Alex Van Halen or John Bonham openness, but it definitely has more ring to it. I’ll choose one of those ride sources based on how much tightness or openness I want for the ride cymbal. That is kind of the way I choose an open hi-hat vs. a closed hi-hat."

"Again, and to reiterate this, all the metal on my kit is a frequency based thing to match the music."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 06:06:46 AM »
I noticed it but didn't care.

And it's definitely a combination of musicianship and showmanship.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

Yeah... Pretty much this

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »

And it's definitely a combination of musicianship and showmanship.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
This may sound petty, but I was kind of bothered by how Mike Mangini acted on stage during space dye vest on the breaking the fourth wall dvd..

We've waited years for a live version of the song, and yeah, while the song doesn't require much from Mike, I don't think it was the right time or place for him to clown around and look bored.

There's plenty of time for humour on stage, but during Space Dye Vest is not one of those times.

Anyway, yeah I know I sound like a petty person, and I ususally wouldn't be bothered by such a seemingly minor thing. But man, I can't expalin it, it's just the way I feel.

Only a "Donnie Darko" fan could have been bothered by that. :yeahright :biggrin:

More seriously, watch closer, and you will see that MM is in some kind of "symbiosis" with JM.  :tup
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:37:37 AM by sylvinception »
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »
I was more like "Why did they focus on him when he looks bored and is doing nothing?" than "I'm pissed that he's bored". I kinda don't care about it.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
I'm sorry but I really have to say this...

EVERYTHING IS NEVER EEEEENOUGH

Not only they fucking played that song after 20 years, they upgrade it with an amazing outro (in which Mangini puts his heart and his soul) and someone always finds something to complain about. Calm yo tits people.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
I find performance quite reverent to the mood of the song.  I mean, the thoughtful pose in the second verse and crossed arms before the bridge.  Wow.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »
I didn't really notice anything in particular during SDV (but I was washing up while it was on), although the performance was so cheesy it was giggle worthy.  I really wonder what KM would think of it.  When I watch it again with this in mind I will probably be annoyed by it because I find Mangini irritating anyway.  Interestingly though, I've grown to like his playing more since I've realised that. So I guess it is a non issue. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
I really wonder what KM would think of it. 
I sincerely doubt he would care one way or the other. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »

And who really care what he thinks anywho?

If I'm worrying about what KevMo thinks, I need to adjust my priorities in life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »

I'm sure the publishing royalty checks are not being returned to sender. 

But it was said years ago by MP that it was such a personal song to KM, so I imagine he might have some reaction to it being played by the guys he wants nothing to do with anymore.  At a record store signing I asked JP if he heard anything from KM.   JP firmly said "No.  no."

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »

"Oh, that's kinda cool. THey finally have the balls to play it"?

I think he'd be pretty indifferent but I also believe, if he did see the performance on DVD, that he'd have to be at least slightly proud of it. Seeing the emotional reaction from the fans, I'm sure he'd appreciate that, and certainly wouldn't have anything against it being played at this point.