Author Topic: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)  (Read 37604 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)
« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
Catching up with Flash, and I'm up to the Invasion! crossover. Had to watch all three of course, and am on the Legends one, and I think they snuck in the best easter egg ever when Felicity gets linguistic issues from her first time travel venture and in her blabbering utters "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" :lol

Just sharing with nerds who appreciate this type of shit.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2018, 04:02:46 AM »
Those crossovers were really enjoyable to watch.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
So...I don't watch these shows, but my wife and daughter do, so I catch the occasional episode.  I can't help but feel like these shows exist for almost no purpose other than to showcase incredibly attractive 25-35 year old people (I focus on the women).  Not that I'm complaining, mind you, and I realize Sidney Bristow's dad and Det. Green from Law & Order don't fit that description, but it seems to strain credibility -- and makes it difficult for this casual observer to take them seriously -- when the smoking hot blond with the sexy librarian look is supposed to be a super genius with a Ph.D in quantum physics (or whatever).  Am I missing something?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
While I get what you are saying, is it any surprise given how people (especially, but not limited to, the super heroes themselves) are drawn in the comics these shows are based on?  I mean, I'm not defending the quality of these shows (I haven't even seen them and don't intend to).  But as a casual observer of your casual observerness, I think that might be a misplaced gripe.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »
While I get what you are saying, is it any surprise given how people (especially, but not limited to, the super heroes themselves) are drawn in the comics these shows are based on?  I mean, I'm not defending the quality of these shows (I haven't even seen them and don't intend to).  But as a casual observer of your casual observerness, I think that might be a misplaced gripe.

Not really a gripe; just an observation (and your point about how comic books are drawn makes sense).  However, there's no way that my wife in an alternate universe would have the creds she has at her age.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #320 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
Gotcha.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
Hmm...other than Poison Ivy (the last casting of her), and Dr. Thompkins (who is portrayed by the absolutely stunning Morena Baccarin (who is 39), not sure I agree. But then again, I've ONLY watched Gotham. No real interest in the others.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Hmm...other than Poison Ivy (the last casting of her), and Dr. Thompkins (who is portrayed by the absolutely stunning Morena Baccarin (who is 39), not sure I agree. But then again, I've ONLY watched Gotham. No real interest in the others.
Gotham is very different, and entirely unconnected. The Arrowverse is definitely very attractive 20-somethings.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »
Gotham is very different, and entirely unconnected. The Arrowverse is definitely very attractive 20-somethings.

That's a CW thing.  They target young audiences.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
mmmm, Morena Baccarin :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
Looking forward to the final episode of Gotham tomorrow. It sucks to a degree, because I dug the show, but hated the way they had to speed it up this season. So much good storytelling left to do. Hopefully the final episode is a good one.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #327 on: April 25, 2019, 12:48:15 PM »
Yeah, looking forward to it as well. Won't get to see it until tomorrow night because of Avengers, but curious to see how the pull off the time jump for this final episode.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32:18 AM »
Gotham finale felt a bit underwhelming, mostly because viewers knew that they were heading towards the characters meeting Batman for the first time.  Had they not promoted the episode with the Batman tease and kept it completely secret, it would have had much more impact. 

I did like seeing Penguin and Riddler in full-on costumes, looking like the 1960's TV show characters.  The Joker stuff was cool, but again, just a tease since the film studios seem to have a very tight hold on that character.  I love how the show was able to show the character evolve over time into the final version. 

It was a great, fun show to watch that dug way deeper into the cache of Batman villans than I'd ever expected that they would.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2019, 01:28:24 PM »
Gotham finale felt a bit underwhelming, mostly because viewers knew that they were heading towards the characters meeting Batman for the first time.  Had they not promoted the episode with the Batman tease and kept it completely secret, it would have had much more impact. 

I did like seeing Penguin and Riddler in full-on costumes, looking like the 1960's TV show characters.  The Joker stuff was cool, but again, just a tease since the film studios seem to have a very tight hold on that character.  I love how the show was able to show the character evolve over time into the final version. 

It was a great, fun show to watch that dug way deeper into the cache of Batman villans than I'd ever expected that they would.

I think they did the best they could with that finale, given everything (the shortened season, all the storylines, etc.). The whole season felt rushed, which was inevitable. But for what it was, I enjoyed it. I have the last season on pre-order already with Amazon.

I agree on some of the villains. I really liked that they introduced, even briefly, Firefly, Mr. Freeze, Azrael, etc. They probably could have done a lot more fleshing of those characters out if the show had been popular. I think it was fortunate to get five seasons. Fox probably wanted to cancel it after Season 3, and they managed to hold on.

The show had a lot of missteps, IMO, but the cast truly loved what they were doing, and it showed, which endeared the show to me. I think the whole Barbara Keene storyline was ridiculous, as was Tabitha, and the one featuring Fish Mooney. Particularly the latter. I also didn't really care for how Bane was portrayed. Felt cheesy. But I kept reminding myself, the show isn't Batman, its an alternate take of Gotham before Batman. And every time I told myself that, I just appreciated it for what it was. I really felt they did well with Talia Al Ghul (and Ra's), and both Gordon and Bullock were really top notch.

The biggest disappointment though is them not being able to call The Joker -- The Joker. Because clearly that's who Valeska is (love the nods made to all the Joker versions that came before throughout his appearance). And that actor really nailed the laugh. Lost opportunity with that guy. He really did a stand up job.

I'm glad I stuck through all five seasons, really appreciate the cast, and hopefully their performances have set them up for other notable roles in the future.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2019, 04:49:04 AM »
What's with all the hate on that trailer? It's BatWOMAN? What everyone expect?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2019, 05:17:40 AM »
What's with all the hate on that trailer? It's BatWOMAN? What everyone expect?
Just typical alt-right trolling like every other female-fronted thing recently. Ignore it.

Trailer looks awesome and she was great in the Arrowverse crossover last season. Looking forward to it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.