Author Topic: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)  (Read 37595 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: DC comics TV shows (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc)
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2016, 06:57:54 AM »
I dunno, like, everything about that show is really panto and over the top. I think he pulls it off much better than some of the others. I really liked Sarah Lance and Ray Palmer in Arrow, whereas in LoT they're kinda silly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
I found him tolerable in The Flash, but his overacting annoys the hell out of me in Legends of Tomorrow.

He's the best part of LoT, to me. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2016, 07:03:59 PM »
On Season 4 of Arrow, season 2 of Flash, season 1 of Supergirl and Legends.

Arrow is a good show, despite some awful acting from Laurel and the whole magic plot that is really awful. I actually loved how they handled Deathstroke. However, I dunno when it started but I noticed the fight scenes are getting really shoddy, where none of the kicks/punches look like they're even close to connecting.

Flash is awesome. Really digging it.

Supergirl isn't bad actually.

Legends is...rough. Show would be a lot better if they dropped the two Hawk people and changed bad guys.............and got better writers.

Also, Legends really suffers from most problems with time travel shows. The first 20 minutes could have gone like this...

Main time travel dude (MTTD): We need to stop Badguy McEvilton in the past so he doesn't ruin the future.
Hawklady: Badguy McEvilton? But we killed him.
MTTD: You did? When?
Hawklady: Back in 2016
MTTD: I guess he somehow came back to life, better travel to the 60's
Hawklady: Or we can go to after we killed him, scoop up the remains and make sure he never comes back

There, show over.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:23:27 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2016, 03:00:07 AM »
Well, I agree with almost everything that you stated and you got your wish on the Legends part.

Arrow....I loved the first two series. Then everything went downhill. The writing, the fighting and can we just stop the love interest bitching with Felicity? I'll tune in for season 5, but if it doesn't improve drastically, then I just don't have the time anymore. There's just too much great shows out there to follow. I would love for them to return to the grittyness of the first series and how Oliver really survived and honed his skills on the island. But it seems they're going the Russian Bratva way.

Flash: Loved it, still following, but it needs to improve as well.

Supergirl started off iffy, but it actally managed to capture the spirit of the comics and I'm intrigued if they can keep this up for season 2. It seems no more Cat Grant, though...

Legend of Tomorrow was WAYY better then I anticipated. Yes, the acting is hammed up, but come on! Something about this cast just clicks for me. Very curious about season 2.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you said, Adami, with the exception that I don't watch Supergirl (except the one episode that featured the Flash).

I didn't start watching Arrow until season 3, and still haven't gone back to watch the first two seasons, and probably won't at this point.  The show is good, but some of the things repeating themselves (trust issues between Oliver and other team members, Felicity, etc) just get old.

I actually liked the magic angle this season, and the appearance by John Constantine.

I gave up on Legends after 3 or 4 episodes. 

The Flash definitely has some issues, but it has a sense of fun that a lot of other shows don't have.  Which I appreciate a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »
They all have issues, but they're mostly pretty good (except Legends).

After thinking about it, there's a few changes they could make to Legends to make it really good.

1. Get someone like Joss Whedon to write/direct.
2. Get rid of the Hawk people for good
3. Make Brandon Routh a much stronger character.
4. Change the plot. Instead of trying to stop a bad guy in the past, make it something like the bad guy already changed a bunch of stuff in the past, and Rip was able to recruit his men before the time stream got too screwed up, and they're mission is to go back and fix whatever they can.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2016, 07:35:58 AM »
All of those would be great changes, no doubt.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »
Anybody catch season premiere of The Flash last night?

Interesting.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »
Anybody catch sea3son premiere of The Flash last night?

Interesting.

I will tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »
Damn. What a first episode.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
Just saw it. Good, but felt like they rushed to get through it all in one episode. Would have liked for it to last a few episodes.

Still, good and interesting to see what changes are there now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2016, 08:07:34 PM »
It was a set up for this seasons turmoil.

Offline Adami

« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »
It was a set up for this seasons turmoil.

Oh I know, they just took the basic premise and name from one of the most popular Flash comic storylines and got rid of everything else good about it and crammed it all into 1 episode. I just wish it lasted like 4-5 episodes across all the shows, so we see how it affected Arrow, Legends, Supergirl, etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2016, 01:21:03 AM »
I loved the first Flash-episode! Yeah, it's a shame that the Flashpoint-stuff ended so quickly, but things have definitely changed in this timeline as well. It would be great if they fleshed it out over 3-4 episodes, and made Barry and everyone elses life go completely to shit before he went back.
But this will still be interesting. Iris and Joe won't talk to eachother, and the trailer for episode 2 shows that Cisco and Barry suddenly have some issues. I suppose the reverse flash fucked some shit up during his little time-romp.

My biggest issue with this entire thing is the costume for Edward Clariss/The Rival. Those spikey ear-things and the mask looks terrible.
Even though it's still kind of silly, it would be better if they just stuck with something like his original costume (IMO)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2016, 07:31:14 AM »
Yeah, but that's too close to Jay Garrick for my taste.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2016, 01:10:03 AM »
Great first episode of the Flash. Loved the 'new' Cisco in this!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2016, 05:57:03 AM »
The problem with these shows is all the crossovers.  I mean that's a great idea in theory, but that means the viewer not only has to watch all these shows, but be up to date with them.    Personally I really like The Flash (although things got a little rough in the second half of the last season) and Legends while not great TV held my interest enough.   But I lost my way with Arrow midway though season 3 and haven't bothered to catch up.  Supergirl for me was awful, two episodes and out.  So when I get a Flash crossover with Arrow/Supergirl I only get half the story - and when events in the shows your not watching start effecting shows you are watching I gets a little offputting.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2016, 06:01:08 AM »
It's like the comic books, you can't read them all even though they cross over, you just have to pick and choose the ones you choose to follow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »
I watched most of the first episode of Arrow, and stopped when he used a parachute arrow to escape getting kicked out of a helicopter.

I may be done with that show now.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2016, 05:50:45 AM »
They just released a cool behind the scenes featurette of Justice League! Looks awesome. Jason Momoa seems to have a lot of fun (1:07 is hilarious!)  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ilFzVLWPog

Offline Adami

« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »
Watching the season 2 premiere of Supergirl now.

How is this show giving us a better version of Superman in his first 5 minutes than we have had in 2 movies?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2016, 02:29:58 AM »
I really liked this weeks episode of The Flash.
It's interesting what they are doing with the timeline. It seems like the changes that have been made gives some of the characters more depth.
What other show could ever do this? If a character has major flaws, Barry can just go back in time, fuck up the timeline, and the character is much more interesting when he comes back  :lol
I was never a big fan of the portrayal of Caitlin Snow. It looks like she will be much more interesting from now on.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
I saw it this morning.  I agree, it was very interesting.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
Anybody else watch Gotham? Not a great show, but totally insane at times in a way that has me tuning in every week. Also, as someone whose only knowledge of Batman is from the movies, I'm not bothered by whatever bastardizations of characters/timelines from the comics are happening. Really liking the Mad Hatter's current run as a villain.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2016, 10:39:05 AM »
Watching the season 2 premiere of Supergirl now.

How is this show giving us a better version of Superman in his first 5 minutes than we have had in 2 movies?

yeah, that was a pretty cool opener/supes intro.

Also, I LOVED the "MISS TESCHMACHER!!!!" callback to the old Superman movies.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
ps I'm glad they finally went ahead and showed Superman instead of dancing around his existence in the first season.  I mean I understand why they did it (so Supergirl wouldn't be overshadowed) but it got a bit silly to me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »
The Flash is interesting so far this season.

I don't watch Supergirl, and I gave up on Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.  How are they doing?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »
Anybody else watch Gotham? Not a great show, but totally insane at times in a way that has me tuning in every week. Also, as someone whose only knowledge of Batman is from the movies, I'm not bothered by whatever bastardizations of characters/timelines from the comics are happening. Really liking the Mad Hatter's current run as a villain.

We gave up on the show this year. Just too silly for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »
Never liked even the concept of Gotham.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2016, 02:17:43 AM »
I'm the opposite. Gotham just keeps getting better and wackier. The Arrow returns to some of the grittyness of the first season and the Flash...wellll. Legends of Tommorow is just a fun show to watch.
Supergirl has found its stride this season. Perfect balance between action and the light, upbeat humourous tone.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2016, 03:40:46 AM »
I'm the opposite. Gotham just keeps getting better and wackier. The Arrow returns to some of the grittyness of the first season and the Flash...wellll. Legends of Tommorow is just a fun show to watch.
Supergirl has found its stride this season. Perfect balance between action and the light, upbeat humourous tone.
My opinion is closer to yours, though Legends is just a bit too nonsensical for me.

I'd probably rank the Arrowverse ones:

Arrow
Supergirl
Flash
Legends of Tomorrow

Not sure I can rank Gotham as it's very different. I definitely prefer it to Legends, maybe around on a par with Flash/Supergirl. Some things about it are really great - it's dark and quirky and by far the most "comic book" of any of them. But then sometimes I feel very meh towards it too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »
Ok so in The Flash, why the hell does Eobard Thorne still exist? I never even realised this but season 1's resolution was that Eddie died so that Eobard never existed, which is why he then disappeared. So why does he still exist? Why did Barry's mother still get killed by him? How does anything make even the slightest bit of sense?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
You know what really bothers me about the Flash?

How in the hell has Barry not made hot monkey love to Iris yet?! And I'm dead serious...that woman makes my tongue harder than the back of my head.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #243 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:13 AM »
He probably has. But then, off course, he's so 'fast' she hasn't even noticed it....  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »
Ok so in The Flash, why the hell does Eobard Thorne still exist? I never even realised this but season 1's resolution was that Eddie died so that Eobard never existed, which is why he then disappeared. So why does he still exist? Why did Barry's mother still get killed by him? How does anything make even the slightest bit of sense?

So....

When Flash went back in time at the end of season 2 to save his mother, he pulled that Eobard back to the new future with him. This is why he's still alive in the flashpoint episode. Then he lets him go to finish killing his mother because he wanted to try to reset the timeline to what it was. Essentially there became two Thawns, the one they killed at the end of season 1, and then the alternate timeline one that got pulled to the future and then released back to the past, which is why there is still one alive.

TLDR: Cuz time travel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com