Author Topic: Quoting Song Lyrics At Random Occasions  (Read 569 times)

Offline MiracleSleeper

Quoting Song Lyrics At Random Occasions
« on: October 02, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
This is a lot of fun, lol. A few weeks ago I was in the car with my father and I just casually said to him out of the blue...

Several years ago, I was in a a foreign town, far away from home, and I met the Count of Tuscany. He was a young eccentric man, bed from royal blood. He took me for a ride across the open countryside.

The result? My father thought I was having some delusional mental break down. Try it out with people!  :azn:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Quoting Song Lyrics At Random Occasions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
The other day I was having dinner and I calmly said
"Mama. Just killed a man. Put my gun against his head. Pulled my trigger now he's dead. " :lol

Sent from my Cell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
It's better when you can really incorporate them into your daily conversation.   I try this a lot (with varying degrees of success).  Bonus points for doing it at work. 

I actually used a phrase from Neon Knights on a conference call at work and my boss sent me a WebEx (it's our chat function) naming the song.  \m/

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
I was at my sister in laws wedding a few months back and I was speaking with her cousins mother. It was at the point of night where she had enjoyed the free bar and we were chit chatting and speaking in "normal" conversational tone and seriousness without actually singing it I said to her "As a child, I thought I could live without pain....without sorrow. But as a man I find it's all caught up with me..."

As I was saying it to her she had a very serious look on her face like I was confiding in her....but I was saying this to her in front of her son as well who is a huge DT fan and he had a grin ear to ear as I was talking....and it was soon revealed I was just kidding around. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:46:27 PM »
I have done this on more than a few occasions during interviews. Especially if it's on the radio. I sometimes try and answer all the hosts questions using quotes from songs. When I'm on a book tour, it breaks the monotony in a big, big way. When someone calls in, I will always answer or comment straight up.

I once was at a convention in Tampa and this girl obviously had no clue who I even was. Not a problem, but if you're going to INTERVIEW ME, then at least remember my fucking name. She was basically going through the motions for a local public radio station. She was more interested in the press buffet; in fact she even told me so by saying, "I don't even really care about any of these people, especially the writers and actors who come here so THESE PEOPLE can Ooh and Ahh over them, but I was starving and that buffet was really good".
Sooo, here's a bit of our exchange:

After insulting me about the kind of fiction I write we had this:

Apathetic Reporter: (Not even looking at me when she asked me the question) "So, um do you have like any advice for anyone aspiring to write... horror fiction?"
Me Annoyed: "A very wise man once wrote, "Dream on, dream on, dream on....dream until your dreams come true."
Apathetic Reporter: "I've heard that quote somewhere....Is that from the Bible or something?" (HAND TO GOD)
Me NOW ECSTATIC: "Very good! It is! I think it's from the "Book of Estrus".
IGNORANT, Apathetic Reporter: (NOW finally no longer being distracted by a group of people standing nearby and actually looking at me)
"That's really pretty deep. Are you always so philosophical?"
Me, Totally entertained now: "Every time that I look in the mirror, all these lines in my face are getting clearer."
Stoopid woman: "Wow, well that answers that then...*chuckles* (At this point her sound guy was trying to cut it off)...well, okay... thanks for your time and enjoy the rest of the convention."
Me getting nasty looks now from the sound guy: "You betcha, Lola." (Her name was Lisa)
Her as I hurried away: "We've been talking to Tempus Vox, author of...."

I later got a really nasty letter from the Program Director at the station who called me "Unprofessional" .
"You betcha!"  :lol
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."