Author Topic: P.A.W.N. - Prog Rock/Metal from Germany w female Vox - Ayreon: "Exciting stuff"  (Read 2481 times)

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Please let me know what you think about the teaser from our upcoming CD. ... Any feedback appreciated. 

The Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGIvBdJIo3U

Arjen from Ayreon said this...

Bandinfo
P.A.W.N. is proud to present its first CD: "The Gift of Awareness" – an epic and melodic Progressive Metal-Rock album that encourages one's mind to wander. The heart of the album is the 26-minute title track, the centerpiece for the intricately arranged concept. Progressive guitar riffs alternate with symphonic keyboard sounds and instrumental parts that are surprisingly approachable for the progressive genre. The female vocals offer an unusual contrast to the multilayered and complex music, without resorting to cliche'd operatic tricks.

From listening to this powerfully produced album, it's hard to believe that most of the parts were created by only two musicians: Sebastian Rudolph (Keyboards, Keyboard-Guitars & Basses (Ministry of Rock), Vocals, iPad) and Dennis Matzat (Drums, Percussion). The duo not only composed and recorded the songs, but has also produced the album, in doing so, exploring the boundaries of home recording. Selected guest musicians were invited to join the pair from Hamburg, including Michael Klein. Klein, formerly a full member of the band P.A.W.N., contributes the lyrics to all of the songs and some vocals to the pirate-progger "A Voyage of Uncertainty“. Gottfried Rudolph and Sven Rhenius support the project with some acoustic-guitar-fills. Finally, the most impressive guest performance is contributed by Lisa-Marie Rothe (Vocals, Artwork and Logo Design).

P.A.W.N. was founded in 2002 as a sequel to the Hamburg Gothic-Death-Metal-combo Querimonia, who released their one and only album "Void of Malice" in 1998 on the Source of Deluge label. During the next years, P.A.W.N. made a name for itself in Hamburg through gigs in clubs such as Marx, Logo, Knust and Headbanger’s Ballroom. The highlight of these was the participation in the finals of the Hamburg Emergenza Band-Contest 2005 in the sold-out Hamburger Markthalle. However, various member changes made for a difficult road to bigger success. In that time, the original quintet reduced to a trio, and the band is faced with its biggest challenge yet. In 2009 guitarist Daniel Müller-Ramien was diagnosed with a tumor. On this album, he was only able to join in the song "Vessels" with a short vocal and guitar part. Even so, with his blessing, Sebastian and Dennis decided to continue and finish the record alone.

Daniel succumbed to his disease in January 2014, but his spirit and soul live on in every moment of "The Gift of Awareness".

This album is for you, Daniel.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
No feedback at all?  :'(

Here is the second teaser... maybe this one is more convincing for any feedback...?

https://youtu.be/2pOZNpB9vm0

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I've listened to the teasers. They're alright. They show promise, so I'll keep following.

Thing is, these kinds of albums need to be listened to in their entirety in order to absorb and appreciate the entire piece of work. Teasers will never do an album like this justice.

Let us know when the album is out and can be streamed somewhere, and I'm sure there will be more disussion about it.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
I've listened to the teasers. They're alright. They show promise, so I'll keep following.

Thing is, these kinds of albums need to be listened to in their entirety in order to absorb and appreciate the entire piece of work. Teasers will never do an album like this justice.

Let us know when the album is out and can be streamed somewhere, and I'm sure there will be more disussion about it.

Thanks Bolsters for your kind feedback, you are probably right. I will let you know... thanks for following!  :metal

However, any feedback is still appreciated.  :blush
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:09:23 AM by thedrumanimal »

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
This is really cool. I assume you guys know morow.com - for me the best progressive radio station out there...My favourite all time band is Pink Floyd. So seeing our music in between the news about the new Floyd album is really mind-boggling.

Still open to feedback...  ::)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
This is really cool. I assume you guys know morow.com - for me the best progressive radio station out there...My favourite all time band is Pink Floyd. So seeing our music in between the news about the new Floyd album is really mind-boggling.

Still open to feedback...  ::)

***snipped***

I understand your frustration regarding feedback.  The thing is, you've been here 2 days and your first post here was, essentially, spam.    (no offense intended, it sounds pretty good)

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks kirksnosehair for answering. In fact I am not new here - I am just not as active as you guys. I have not only been around since the very beginning of this forum, but even since the beginning of DT on the internet. Of course I am aware that my post count does not show this. I am checking this forum every single day since forever... so I thought I might share (my) music here which I assume a lot of the people in here might enjoy.

May I ask you to clarify what you mean by "Spam"? The pics from Morow or the complete thread?

Dont get me wrong - I am really open not only to feedback regarding the music, but of course also about the habits of posting here. I just dont want to thwart my wish to present you music by doing anything wrong...  ??? (to thwart - is that correct English??)

And of course thanks for the feedback to the music!  :tup
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:50:32 PM by thedrumanimal »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Yeah, it's too bad the site doesn't display your registration date so people can tell if someone who appears "new" has been lurking for a long time.

Nevertheless, I always check out threads like this and listen to what people have to offer.  I've encountered some incredible bands this way.  Sadly, most of them have never really amounted to much of anything. 

No worries, man.  I was just trying to explain why there are so few responses.   

The reason I say it could be referred to as spam:  Generally, "spam" is considered to be "commercial bulk email" but over time it's taken on a slightly broader meaning.  With the rise of social media and everyone being able to easily carve out their own place in the cyberspace, posts such as yours are often referred to as "spam" because it's unsolicited (no one asked you for it) marketing for your album.  I think some folks are put off by this because they perceive those who post such messages to be "fly by night" members here who will perhaps post 50 or 60 messages over the course of a couple of months, then once their album has dropped and thread inevitably moves on to the second page of the forum, based on past experience, you'll be gone.

You guys have label support or interest yet?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I think what Kirksnosehair is getting at is that a single digit post count announces that you're not an established member of the forum.  Long-time lurker or not, nobody 'knows' you, and you haven't established any credibility.  There are lots fly in/fly out posts from people trying to pimp their band, song, radio show etc... Without any credibility or reason to follow, I typically disregard this kind of stuff.

I used to listen to Morrow a lot.  When there is a full song to check out, I'll do so.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
I think what Kirksnosehair is getting at is that a single digit post count announces that you're not an established member of the forum.  Long-time lurker or not, nobody 'knows' you, and you haven't established any credibility.  There are lots fly in/fly out posts from people trying to pimp their band, song, radio show etc... Without any credibility or reason to follow, I typically disregard this kind of stuff.

I used to listen to Morrow a lot.  When there is a full song to check out, I'll do so.

Thanks, I get what you mean... I must admit that you are completely right.

Since I cant build this credibility within a couple of days, I will stay quiet until there is a full song to hear - Even though my credibility will be the same... :\

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Feel free to participate in the forums to build that credibility - we're a good bunch here.  Guys like kirksnosehair himself did just that (and I'm reminded how great his album is, and I never would've heard it had I not known about it from here - listening to it right at this moment actually).  Another user promoted his band (The Storyline), and I'm dying for him to have a full album.  So, we do follow good music... that's what DTF is all about.  We just don't always do it blindly.

You may want to start in the Musicians forum... you'll get a more limited group that follows things in there, but it will be likely be a more willing group.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it's too bad the site doesn't display your registration date so people can tell if someone who appears "new" has been lurking for a long time.

Nevertheless, I always check out threads like this and listen to what people have to offer.  I've encountered some incredible bands this way.  Sadly, most of them have never really amounted to much of anything. 

No worries, man.  I was just trying to explain why there are so few responses.   

The reason I say it could be referred to as spam:  Generally, "spam" is considered to be "commercial bulk email" but over time it's taken on a slightly broader meaning.  With the rise of social media and everyone being able to easily carve out their own place in the cyberspace, posts such as yours are often referred to as "spam" because it's unsolicited (no one asked you for it) marketing for your album.  I think some folks are put off by this because they perceive those who post such messages to be "fly by night" members here who will perhaps post 50 or 60 messages over the course of a couple of months, then once their album has dropped and thread inevitably moves on to the second page of the forum, based on past experience, you'll be gone.

You guys have label support or interest yet?

Thanks for your clarification. I will do my very best not to fall in this category...

Regarding your question. No label support or interest yet - and I must admit that we did not work in this direction yet. Today you can do (nearly) all on your own. We have really good equipment at home - so the recording, mixing and mastering process can be done at home - I dont have to tell you guys. The support from a label might become interesting when it comes to distribution or promotion.

Regarding the promotion of an album you also have completely new possibilities nowadays - FB, Youtube, Soundcloud etc.

We will be supported by a company who not only copies the CD and produces the packaging, but also takes care of getting the CD to Amazon and ITunes. You can buy those services today.

Bottom line: We know that there are so many bands out there and that it is really really hard to get label support. Once the CD is finished (4-6 weeks) we will definatly contact labels, but I will do by best to spread the word without the support of a label.

And if a song of ours is being playd on morow for instance or on one of the other prog radio stations out there, I could die a happy man.  :laugh:

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
I'm only on the first teaser, but I especially liked the sections around 1:40 and around 2:40.  maybe it is because it reminded me of DT  :biggrin:

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Feel free to participate in the forums to build that credibility - we're a good bunch here.  Guys like kirksnosehair himself did just that (and I'm reminded how great his album is, and I never would've heard it had I not known about it from here - listening to it right at this moment actually).  Another user promoted his band (The Storyline), and I'm dying for him to have a full album.  So, we do follow good music... that's what DTF is all about.  We just don't always do it blindly.

You may want to start in the Musicians forum... you'll get a more limited group that follows things in there, but it will be likely be a more willing group.

I know that you guys are a good bunch here and that I find a calm and relaxed atmosphere here... thats the reason why I come here daily (without loggin in...) and do NOT go to a place like 5/8. I am a long time lurker at the Portnoy forum as well... Well OK, I now learned that lurker is not a nice attribute  :lol

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm only on the first teaser, but I especially liked the sections around 1:40 and around 2:40.  maybe it is because it reminded me of DT  :biggrin:

Which is not the worst feedback I could imaging  :metal
Thanks!  :yarr

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
I am happy to present the first full song... 12 Minutes, female Vocals, a "shrink and growth" instrumental section (influenced by guess who...).

Any feedback appreciated.  :tup

https://youtu.be/vr0ppnfGf3M

Yesterday I was lucky enough to hear the album on this B&W Nautilus / Classé Audio sound system... worth 190.000 Euro. Simply incredible. The bad point is - I will never be able to hear our album in such a sonic quality again.  :censored

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: P.A.W.N. - Prog Rock/Metal from Germany w female Vox
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 04:08:55 AM »
Hi guys, we just released our full CD, and we are really happy about the first reactions.

Here is the 26-minute title track... maybe you guys like it as well.  ;) It is not too hard to guess where we got our inspiration...  ::)
https://youtu.be/IbK4EKXhEME

You can listen to the full album on bandcamp:
https://pawnprog.bandcamp.com/album/the-gift-of-awareness

Any feedback is really appreciated!