Author Topic: All Oasis & Noel Gallagher discussion v. New Studio Album !  (Read 15376 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: All Oasis & Noel Gallagher discussion v. New Studio Album !
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
The production is a huge negative on Be Here Now for me which is otherwise a pretty good album musically. It just sounds like 40 layers of guitars and is mildly headache inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2021, 05:06:16 AM »
The production is a huge negative on Be Here Now for me which is otherwise a pretty good album musically. It just sounds like 40 layers of guitars and is mildly headache inducing.

I was into oasis from the debut single. I thought D'you Know What I Mean was amazing when it came out - and the next day my musician friend in school - the first thing he says

when he sees me is " It's just Wonderwall again ! ". I didn't know at the time as I hadn't started learning guitar yet.

But then the album came out and I remember realising a lot of the songs were just re-writes of other oasis songs - just not as good and everything sounded so familiar.

It was really clear that they'd used up all of Noels best songs on the first two albums and their B sides now had to write new songs.

----

Noel said he thought of releasing a stripped down version of the album - then decided against it.

Standing On The Shoulder of Giants has even less good material on it - but the good songs are great. Go Let It Out, Gas Panic!, Roll It Over... The rest is

really weak songs stuffed with keyboards and choirs to try and make up for it. Sunday Morning Call is a dirge.

Heathen Chemistry was a step in the right direction and Don't Believe The Truth was a huge return to form and Dig Out Your Soul - a fine swansong.

I'm glad they split up after 2 decent albums and not after two patchy albums like BHN and SOTSOG.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2021, 06:05:01 AM »
I think that's a fair opinion and not necessarily one I disagree with. From what I understand (I don't know Oasis history 100%) Noel had some of their best songs when he was brought into the band and these ideas had been floating around in his head for a while. Then they make 2 fantastic albums and a strong B-sides collection and after that you gotta start from the ground up again. I watched that interview of him on youtube talking about Be Here Now for 30 minutes or so and I must say hearing him talk about how the album was created, it made me go "yeah now I get it".

I agree that Giants and Chemistry feel a bit lackluster despite having a few nice songs like Go Let it Out, Gas Panic and Song Bird, and the 2 albums that followed are definitely better. Don't Believe the Truth is a pretty solid album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2021, 09:15:32 AM »
On any given day, Be Here Now is my favorite Oasis album, so there.  :) I'm an Oasis completist - I think I'm missing only two songs from the Dig Out Your Soul sessions, released on compilations - and there are two albums of b-sides that would rival their best work. 

I also like what Dave said about Liam.  I went down a rabbit hole of sorts about a month ago, listening to some bootleg live stuff, and digging through the Definitely Maybe DVD release from 2004 (I think it was a "tenth anniversary" thingy).  It's got the album, as released, it's got the album but using live versions from various dates in 1994, and it's got interviews.  The interviews with Noel are worth the price of the disk right there, but some of those live versions are INCENDIARY, at least in terms of the energy that they contain.   I saw Liam front Beady Eye in a small club in Philly - 700 people, tops - and they played for literally one hour, then left.  No breaks, just the album and a cover and that's it, and yet it was electric.  He just stood there in a mac and sung, with his arms behind his back (you know the pose) and yet you couldn't take your eyes off him.   I DO think he's a great singer; not in the sense of Freddie Mercury, but in his ability to convey what the song is saying in a way that makes you want to listen to it.  I love Noel's voice too, but I don't know of one song that was originally done by Liam that Noel sings better.

I haven't asked in a while, but periodically I'll ask Dave "what are the odds of a real reunion?"   I tend to think they're more than zero, less than 50-50, but then again, I have zero insight. It's hard for me - different generation, different culture, different backgrounds - to separate the social media nonsense from the truth.  Both brothers seem more than willing to say shit that is just for a reaction than any real truth, but that's just my opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
Noel has said countless times that there is absolutely zero chance he is setting foot on a stage with Liam again.

Not since Liam made it personal and threatened Noel's wife and kids. He said it was unlikely before - except for some massive sum - now it's literally zero.

He says being in oasis was nothing but drama and High Flying Birds is so calm and chilled out and he could never go back to the drama.

So yeah - I think Liam should reform oasis with Bonehead ( who already plays with him anyway ), Tony McCaroll ( who would probably be glad of the gig )

and Guigsy - if he's even still playing. Leave Noel out of it. Plus - that way - Noel still gets royalties - unless they play all of the Liam, Gem or Andy written ones

- but nobody would turn out for that !

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2021, 09:27:39 AM »
I think that's a fair opinion and not necessarily one I disagree with. From what I understand (I don't know Oasis history 100%) Noel had some of their best songs when he was brought into the band and these ideas had been floating around in his head for a while. Then they make 2 fantastic albums and a strong B-sides collection and after that you gotta start from the ground up again. I watched that interview of him on youtube talking about Be Here Now for 30 minutes or so and I must say hearing him talk about how the album was created, it made me go "yeah now I get it".

I agree that Giants and Chemistry feel a bit lackluster despite having a few nice songs like Go Let it Out, Gas Panic and Song Bird, and the 2 albums that followed are definitely better. Don't Believe the Truth is a pretty solid album.

I really like SOTSOG, even though Noel shits on it.   "Who Feels Love" and "Go Let It Out" are favorites, and I like "Sunday Morning Call".   I'm indifferent on Heathen Chemistry, though I like the single, and I can't sing you one song from "Don't Believe The Truth".  I think the songwriting drops off really quick after Noel, and part of the reason I like DOYS so much is that it's mostly Noel's (though to be fair, I like "I'm Outta Time"; it's a beautiful song). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »
I'm guessing apart from songbird - but allegedly - all of "liam"'s songs were secretly co-written by Gem Archer. Doesn't surprise me.

Doing the bare minimum and taking all the credit seems to be Liam's MO.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2021, 11:34:23 AM »
To be fair I don't think Liam really needs to take credit for any songs, he was the frontman and at that period in time he was a great frontman. Sure he's an ass and some of the stuff he did to Noel is crazy, but he embodies the 'sex, drugs & rock n roll' lifestyle and his cocky attitude worked as part of the charm. Noel wrote most of the best songs but that's not too uncommon with bands, I'd say it's quite rare that the frontman/singer is the main songwriter and usually it's a guitarist who is the main creative driving force musically.

Noel wrote the fantastic tunes but I don't think that would have been enough without Liam as the frontman. I'd say I stand on the Noel camp in terms of their feud but the fact both of their solo output feels a bit lacking to me is a sign that what made Oasis great was what they both brought to the table.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
Noels solo albums are more akin to the final oasis album and Who Built The Moon is more like a much better version of Shoulder of Giants - which might as well have been

a Noel solo album since only he, Liam and Alan were on it, Noel wrote 9/10ths of the songs, played most of the instruments, and sang lead on 3 songs.

Whereas Liam seems to be doing ultra basic rock n roll because he is desperate to be " the proper rock n roll " one. Even if the music is no good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
Be Here Now is by far my fav Oasis record.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »

Noel wrote the fantastic tunes but I don't think that would have been enough without Liam as the frontman. I'd say I stand on the Noel camp in terms of their feud but the fact both of their solo output feels a bit lacking to me is a sign that what made Oasis great was what they both brought to the table.

I think this is exactly right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »

I think this is exactly right.

Indeed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:19 PM »
I dunno though.

Listening back to oasis live shows now i'm like " How TF did I not notice how bad Liam is live at the time ?! "  :| He's pretty shocking.

Whereas Noel's live voice has only improved over the years.

I know I hate Liam - but he seems like someone who is too proud to get vocal coaching and doesn't even do warm ups.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »
I dunno though.

Listening back to oasis live shows now i'm like " How TF did I not notice how bad Liam is live at the time ?! "  :| He's pretty shocking.

Whereas Noel's live voice has only improved over the years.

I know I hate Liam - but he seems like someone who is too proud to get vocal coaching and doesn't even do warm ups.

I'm not looking to argue with you, but just as counterpoint, when I was doing my listening, my thought was, "wow, Liam is way better live than I remembered".   It's not all note perfect, but it's rock and roll, and it delivers, IMO. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2021, 04:23:42 PM »
I saw them live many years ago now and Liam was great.  Noel was great too but what made Oasis what they were was the chemistry between the two of them. 

I couldn't hear Noel full time on all those classic songs truthfully.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2021, 04:55:33 PM »
I'm not saying EVERY version, but it's no coincidence, in my opinion, that most of the Noel-version Oasis songs are done acoustically, stripped down.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »
I too am 'Team Noel' in every single respect except one: when it's insightful and eloquent live commentary on the performances of Manchester City Football Team you're after, Liam is really the go-to.

1. Liam offers his thoughts on the best game plan for the upcoming match:

"Get stuck in you CUNTZ"

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1337829873109372934

2. Liam identifies the problem in Manchester City's approach:

"I put more passion into wiping my arse c’mon you fuckers"

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1337830472932601857

3. Liam expresses disappointment at the last-minute cancellation of a game and muses on the cause:

"The footy is off GUTTED you fucking CUNT of a virus be gone you fucking slag"

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1343594851032571908

It's baffling to me he hasn't been hired by the BBC as one of their live commentators.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2021, 12:43:41 AM »
Be Here Now is by far my fav Oasis record.

Me too. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:49 AM »

His voice even went to shit on Heathen Chemistry and DBTT imo.  Like he was gargling glass.  And it was so loud and amplified too!  His voice on DOYS was mildly better.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2021, 07:54:05 AM »
I too am 'Team Noel' in every single respect except one: when it's insightful and eloquent live commentary on the performances of Manchester City Football Team you're after, Liam is really the go-to.

1. Liam offers his thoughts on the best game plan for the upcoming match:

"Get stuck in you CUNTZ"

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1337829873109372934

2. Liam identifies the problem in Manchester City's approach:

"I put more passion into wiping my arse c’mon you fuckers"

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1337830472932601857

3. Liam expresses disappointment at the last-minute cancellation of a game and muses on the cause:

"The footy is off GUTTED you fucking CUNT of a virus be gone you fucking slag"

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1343594851032571908

It's baffling to me he hasn't been hired by the BBC as one of their live commentators.

That last one made me laugh out loud.   He IS a character.   He's got some good lines in the DVD I mentioned too. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2021, 03:08:10 AM »
I didn't hate Liam until oasis split up and he discovered Twitter and used it to just spout constant hate against Noel for like ten years.

Noel is right - he really is obsessed. Noel has pretty much always kept his head high - saying Beady Eye was alright and Liams solo stuff is not bad etc...

Also Noel afaik has never resorted to insulting Liams wife or kids. Liam however...

And as far as I know - he has never been unfaithful - only going out with Sara after he and Meg had split up - but were still technically married.

Liam has had a child with another woman both times he was married - and you know he will do it again - because he's a'rock n roll star who does wtf he wants dya know what i mean lets ave it'

He's far more concerned with looking like a 'proper rock n roll star mate' than being a good person.

Both my married siblings had their partners cheat on them multiple times so I really hate it and can't get past it. Once is a mistake. Doing it multiple times means you don't give a shit.

---

Said this before - but both The Dying of the Light & If I Had A Gun made me tear up a bit. When I heard Beady Eye's 'Bring The Light' I genuinely laughed out loud.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »
Haha, side bar:  when I first started dating my wife, we would send each other songs to listen to.  I sent "If I Had A Gun", and when word got to my daughter she was like "please screen any future songs with me before you send them".  They make fun of me to this day about that.   But I think it's a beautiful song, when you dig in to it.

As for Liam, I get the complaints, but I would love to have a convo with someone that knows him (hey Dave, is your brother around?  :) ).  I can't help but think that some of it is taking the piss.   If you watch the DVD, there's one scene where he's sitting next to Noel and they ask him a question, and he's just sitting there behind sunglasses and gives this aloof, disconnected answer.   Or maybe he's just... that way.   I'm not implying anything, but if he's on the spectrum or something like that, it explains a lot.   Noel and Liam are not strangers to each other, they have 50 years of experience in how they interact with each other.  I have a different relationship with my brother, but I know brothers that say shit to each other that would earn a beating if said to anyone else. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:22:28 AM by Stadler »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:31 AM »
Noel has said that how Liam is on twitter is how he is in real life. Only now everyone knows what it's like being around him all day every day.

Quote from: me
And as far as I know - he has never been unfaithful - only going out with Sara after he and Meg had split up - but were still technically married.

When my sisters hubby cheated on her - they separated and she now has a new BF but they're not divorced yet - so that's fine by me. As long as he is out of the picture I don't care.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »
Returning to the issue of Liam's behaviour, having just watched some recent Youtube videos of him.

My basic take on Liam is that, as much of a colossal dick as he can be, it's a miracle he turned out as WELL as he did. I grew up where he grew up (it's rough as hell), I went to the kind of school he went to (academically shit with apathetic teachers), I know - not from personal experience - the family dynamics he had (absent and deadbeat father, older and far more talented brother whose approval he craves, madonna-figure mother).

Here's a guy with no education and a very limited ability to articulate himself but who at the age of 22 was suddenly the most famous lead singer in the UK, and the frontman of a band who was my generation's Beatles (I saw them in a 'crowd' of about 50 before they hit the big time and I saw them a year or so later at Maine Road Football Stadium playing to over 50,000). At 24 he was richer than he'd ever imagined being and was selling out Wembley and Knebworth. It's a highly pressurised situation for simple lads like those guys. Guigsy couldn't handle it. Bonehead couldn't handle it. Making it worse for Liam is that everyone knew that, although Oasis without Liam is not Oasis, it's still Noel who is the genius of the band. Liam was a manchild trying to live up to the English gold standard of his 3 heroes: John Lennon (the genius) Johnny Rotten (the attitude) and Roger Daltry (the stage presence).   

I'll be honest here, that whole 'threatening Noel's wife and daughter' thing - trust me on this, forget what they all say publicly about how "I'm never talking to him again" - this isn't how guys like this relate to each other in the real world. It just isn't. They can spend a month calling each other 'cunts' and saying they're never going to talk again, and then 5 minutes later Noel will shoot Liam a WhatsApp about the City game, or about their mother's upcoming birthday. 99% of it is a show, I can pretty much guarantee it. Remember that message Noel wrote to Liam after he 'threatened' his wife, saying they're done, he's dead to him, all that shit - how did he sign it off? "Enjoy the summer Big Tits, catch up soon". What was the first thing Liam did after it blew up? He wrote "My sincere apologies to my beautiful mum Peggy and my lovely niece Anais for getting caught up in all of this childish behaviour I love you both dearly LG x". The first person Liam wished a happy new year to earlier this month? His big brother. And it's not because he just wants to get the band back together. It really isn't.

Honestly, none of it is serious. Round are way (!) this shit is just how it goes. Liam would lay down his life in a split second for Noel's kids, and Noel knows it. And by the way, am I the only one around here who thinks that Sara's (Noel's wife) message that sparked Liam's reaction was bizarrely cruel, mean-spirited and unnecessary? Everyone knows Liam has an inferiority complex about being Noel Gallagher's brother and he has a very sensitive, fragile ego. So with that in mind, why the hell did she write that about him? If you've spent literally years telling everyone who'll listen that your brother-in-law is an emotionally unstable manchild prone to outbursts of anger (she's a publicist remember, manufacturing shit is what she does), why would you then say, about his Glastonbury performance, "The fat twat doing his tribute act, balancing a tambourine on his head is going to look pretty dated after Stormzy"? (that's the comment that led to him telling Anais to "tell your mum to be careful")? Excuse me Sara but exactly who the fuck are you? Other than, like I said, a publicist with a vested financial interest in generating tabloid scandal?

So that's my take on Liam. He's a deeply flawed guy with some psychological issues, some impulse control issues, and sometimes he can be a very unpleasant and abusive person. He's not an intelligent man, unlike Noel. I'm not 'defending' him, because he doesn't need a defence. I'm just saying that his life and his behaviour need to be put in the context of his upbringing. Watch his recent interviews, watch the clip on Youtube where he sits down with a bunch of small children and answers their questions, watch his '73 questions with Vogue' clip where he talks about his healthy lifestyle (he could so easily have become a drug-addled alcoholic). My opinion is that if this is as bad as he's ever going to get then he's done pretty damn well. It could have really gone off the rails. And just as Noel and Damon Albarn actually became close buddies even while trashing each other in the media back in the 90s, the same will be true here. These guys will beat the everloving shit out of each other (as they did on the tour that finally broke up the band), but a few weeks later they will turn to the more important business of arranging who takes their mum to her bingo night next Friday. You won't read about that stuff in the papers, but trust me it happens. Where I'm from brothers don't fall out over something so stupid and trivial as kicking the fuck out of each other and exchanging insults on Twitter.   

tl:dr - Oasis will reunite and tour again long before the decade is out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:23:13 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2021, 12:55:58 AM »
Good post and I agree with a lot of it. I think a lot of the shit we've heard over the year is just part of the act and there's more to it that we don't know. If everything between Noel and Liam was bad, Oasis wouldn't have lasted that long. I do hope eventually they can get together and let the old arguments die out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2021, 02:49:18 AM »
I can pretty much guarantee that oasis will never ever reunite.

I also don't want them to as it will never be as good as it was in the heyday - they'll just tour for the money and any album will just be half arsed and may as well have been

a High Flying Birds album... Who's gonna play bass ? Allegedly Andy doesn't like Noel now - and is back in Ride... Guigsy ? The HFB Bassist ?

Why reform oasis if it's basically The High Flying Birds with Liam singing ?

I don't see it happening. It'll never be oasis. I think Liam, Guigsy, Bonehead and Tony should reform as oasis and get someone else in to play 'Noel' . That would be more interesting.

- Plus it would be win/win for everyone. Liam gets to reform oasis and Noel gets to carry on with HFB and still collect the royalties. Plus doing it without Noel - Liam would still

be able to carry on with the facade that he's doing it to spite Noel - even though he'd need Noels' permission to do it... Publicly it would be the best "look"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2021, 03:41:34 AM »
Also a thought - Liam is the only one who wants to reform oasis. Noel has been dead against it for the last 10 years.

If they do reform - it will be seen as a win for Liam - making it look like Noel has conceded and given Liam what he wants.

I can not see that happening at all.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2021, 05:49:13 AM »
You can look at it like Noel has to stand by his opinion or it looks like he caved, OR you could see it as personal growth and that his perspective on things might change. He'll be fine no matter what he does, he still has the legacy of Oasis and he can keep pumping out High Flying Birds albums that people don't really care that much about or pay attention to - but he has free reigns and can do what he wants. He can reunite Oasis and they can tour for money playing the old stuff, OR they can work on new stuff which might be good might be bad - where he will have less creative control.

In the end they are both men in their 50s acting like children. I don't necessarily need a new Oasis album or do I crave the chance to see them live (though I would if I got the chance) but just as a fan it would be nice to see these old children start acting like their age, shake hands, let the 'feud' side die and make amends.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2021, 09:12:41 AM »
Also a thought - Liam is the only one who wants to reform oasis. Noel has been dead against it for the last 10 years.

If they do reform - it will be seen as a win for Liam - making it look like Noel has conceded and given Liam what he wants.

I can not see that happening at all.

Either you didn't read what Dave wrote, or don't agree with it.   I for one think Dave is spot on.  Not because I know anything - you know nothing, Jon Snow - but because a) it makes sense (it's not identical, but there's a similar dynamic here in the northeast, once you get out of the little rich centers; go to South Boston, and you'll hear two brothers talking to each other and you think you need to call the police; then when the police come, both brothers will be yelling at the cops like Butch and Sundance), and b), I've had the luxury of hearing a very similar description now THREE times from three different Mancunians at three different times (one I worked with, one I knew from Philly, and Dave). 

I don't know if they're reform or not, but I do agree that a lot of it rings like something we're not privy to and don't fully understand. 

FYI, for another take on Liam - and I've mentioned this before - the Definitely Maybe DVD is priceless.   Noel is funny, eloquent, engaging, handling like 90% of the interviews, and Liam looks like a scared, defensive little kid most of the time.

I for one hope they do do something together.  I'm not a purist; love them, but I don't need Bonehead or Guigsy for that to be Oasis.  I need Liam singing Noel's words and melodies (and maybe Zak Starkey playing drums; there's an element of The Who in Oasis' best music that he can influence).   They're better together than apart, and I hope we get another crack at that before it's too late.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
Another thing to bear in mind is that I'm old enough to remember the days when pigs would fly over Battersea Power Station before Roger Waters and David Gilmour would ever agree to even be in the same room together.  Watch interviews with Gilmour from the Momentary Lapse era when he's uncharacteristically seething about how Roger is, as he put it, "trying to completely fuck us up". Or watch Waters' interviews from his Radio Kaos days where he even avoids using David's name, his contempt and loathing is so complete. Yet sure enough the day came when they were hugging it out outside a recording studio they happened to be sharing and appearing on stage again at Roger's Wall show (not to mention the Live 8 concert). Now they apparently meet now and again for dinner with their families.

Heck, remember the very recent days when folk both here and elsewhere were talking with supreme confidence about how John Myung couldn't stand Mike Portnoy, only for MP to say "Yeah, we actually spent New Year together at my house".

Countless other examples. Mark and David Knopfler, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks (granted that's now on the fritz again, but still, it was an epic reunion while it lasted), Metallica and Dave Mustaine. We (fans) can never really know what's going on. But what I'm very confident about is whenever you hear a guy from the north of England say "I'm NEVER speaking to that fucking twat of a brother of mine ever again", it means he needs a full 20 minutes to cool off before he's telling him to get the drinks in. Peggy would murder the both of them if they didn't stick together on the stuff that matters.

As for the impression of Noel 'giving in' if he reformed the band (and incidentally I agree with Stadler here - reforming Oasis doens't mean getting Noel, Liam, Alan, Bonehead and Guigsy back on stage together, ideal though that would be - it means getting Noel and Liam back on stage together) - I don't agree that it's 'giving in'. Like I said above, these guys don't think at the level of us fans. This is their life, their business, their own secret world. Earlier today I was watching the 1997 gig from the Manchester Arena during the Be Here Now tour and what struck me was the sheer joy they got from what they were doing. Liam was well behaved (it was being transmitted live on MTV), Noel was very 'present' and was really into the music (I'm not a fan of Fade In-Out but at that gig he makes it sound monstrous), the lads were tight as a drum, the crowd were having a blast, and the brothers were loving what they were doing.

That's what they'll reform for (IF they reform). Not for money or to chase an old feeling. It'll be to experience the thrill of playing Champagne Supernova and Live Forever and Don't Look Back In Anger again to an audience that remembers first hearing those tunes like it was yesterday. Oasis began to fall apart when it stopped being fun for everyone, i.e after about 1998. When Noel was burnt out and was farming out song-writing responsibilities to massively inferior song-writers. But there was a time when it was enormous fun for them. If (IF!) they get back together, even if it's just for a few gigs, will it be like 1997 all over again? Of course no. Was seeing Pink Floyd play Breathe at Live 8 as 'good' (in terms of the freshness) as seeing it in 1973? Arguably not. But was it special and amazing and moving for everyone there? Hell yeah. Who here doesn't want the Oasis story to end not with a back-stage punch-up in Paris but with a gig at the Manchester Arena with these two old geezers playing the old classics again and burying the hatchet? Live Forever ends, Noel walks over to Liam and gives him a quick hug. A man can dream, and that's my dream.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:57:14 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2021, 03:35:37 PM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 05:06:53 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2021, 12:54:30 AM »
Hey Now is actually one of my favorites on Morning Glory. The guitars on it are HUGE. I also really like She's Electric so I wouldn't want either of them replaced. :p

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2021, 05:45:56 AM »
Everyone begged the stone roses to reform and when they did it was a complete non event.

One or two OK songs. A few gigs. Then. Nothing. They’ve gone again.

Liam is at least a better vocalist than Ian Brown. But I imagine oasis reforming would be much the same.

------------

As for Liam, Andy and Gem - Andy was clearly the best non - Noel writer. Turn Up the Sun, A Quick Peep, Thank You For The Good Times.

--- I think Thank You For The Good Times should have been on Heathen Chemistry along with the full band version of Songbird.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:26:26 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
Another good analogue:  Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.   Plant was adamant that nothing would ever happen without John Bonham.  Page echoed that at first.  Later of course, it became clear that he would do it at any time or any place; he flew to Boston (I think) for that MTV Unledded thing and (essentially, not literally) ditched an entire tour with David Coverdale to do it.   But Plant was always (and still is) more like what Dave said; he wants to do it for the right reasons, to feel that same rush.   I saw the second leg of that Page-Plant tour, in New Jersey, and the connection, the energy between the two was PALPABLE.  Watching "The Song Remains The Same" was literally the most transcendent moment I've ever experienced in a concert (even over watching Paul McCartney sing "Yesterday", and being on-stage singing with Gene Simmons).  There was no Bonham on stage (John or Jason), no John Paul Jones; the backing band was relative unknowns plus Porl Thompson from the Cure and Plant's son-in-law, Charlie Jones.   

Liam and Noel do a gig within reasonable distance of me, I'm there.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »
Even if Noel is hesitant about performing with Liam again, the fact remains Oasis was one of the biggest bands on the planet and would sell out stadiums if they did something again. The High Flying Birds on the other hand are at the level of opening for a band like Oasis. All you need to do is watch a few interviews with Noel and it's clear he has a big ego as well and he takes pride in the fact Oasis was as huge as they were.