Author Topic: All Oasis & Noel Gallagher discussion v. New Studio Album !  (Read 15361 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: All Oasis & Noel Gallagher discussion v. New Studio Album !
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2016, 08:03:55 AM »
He has that but in pretty much every other way - Noel is a better person.

I've never heard of Noel being unfaithful. Never mind having kids with other women both times he was married...

Not quibbling, because I agree with you, as I said before, but technically, didn't he step out on Meg at the end?  Or am I thinking of the story where he SAID he did to get out of the marriage, but had actually been the gentleman?

EDIT : Hey Stadler - who was your favourite oasis drummer ? mine was Alan by a LONG way. He just had the best feel out of any of them. Chris probably came the closest after that. **

I even met Alan's drummer brother Steve White at a drum clinic once. One of my drumming heroes. Pub Landlord Al Murray was the compere :D

• Tony McCarroll
• Alan White
• Zak Starkey
• Chris Sharrock.

Uggh....    Generally, Zak.  I saw him drum for The Who on their "Quadrophenia" tour in the mid-90's or so, and he was AMAZING.  I love the "Dig Out Your Soul" album as well, so there's that.  But my favorite Oasis material was produced with Alan White behind the kit, so....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »
Zak might have been my least fave.

Yes, even below Tony. Tony wasn't *THAT* bad. His style worked on Def Maybe.

Zak didn't do any ghost notes on the oasis songs or do any of Alan's shuffle feels.

Him playing Don't Look Back in Anger was painful. He took out all of Alan's ghosts and feel and played it completely in straight 8th notes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2016, 09:09:38 AM »
Zak might have been my least fave.

Yes, even below Tony. Tony wasn't *THAT* bad. His style worked on Def Maybe.

Zak didn't do any ghost notes on the oasis songs or do any of Alan's shuffle feels.

Him playing Don't Look Back in Anger was painful. He took out all of Alan's ghosts and feel and played it completely in straight 8th notes.

See. I'm not sure I hear Zak play any of the older stuff.   I never got a proper chance to see Oasis (though they played - literally - within eyesight of my house in Philly, but I had just moved in and didn't know they were there). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »
:lol

Liam has revealed he wants to reform oasis but Noel is refusing.

Thank fuck. I don't want that ungrateful prick anywhere Noel's solo career. Liam is so transparent. SO transparent. All he does is insult Noel on social media because he's jealous of his success and hides

behind a wall of bullshit machismo.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
Be Here Now loaded reissue!
https://www.nme.com/news/oasis/95182

Contains lots of demos and a new mix of D'You Know What I Mean?, which is more stripped down.  It's weird to hear a different version but it's good.  I'm pumped, this is my favorite Oasis album.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »
Very interesting. Noel always wanted to re-release Be Here Now a little more stripped down.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »

Contains lots of demos and a new mix of D'You Know What I Mean?, which is more stripped down.  It's weird to hear a different version but it's good.  I'm pumped, this is my favorite Oasis album.

That's a gorgeous remix. Sounds more like how it sounded live. And bass !! Plus you could never hear the strings on the original...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2016, 11:47:54 AM »
NME are reporting that Liam Gallagher is doing a solo album.

I can't wait to hear how shit it is.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »

This is my fav Oasis album, I love it, first day purchase this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
Been waiting for this since the first two reissues. One thing I'm curious about: there's a part of one of the songs (I think Magic Pie) where towards the end, there's this weird bloop/chirp distortion sound. I thought my CD was just ripping to the computer badly, but when I checked on YouTube that sound was still there. It doesn't sound like it belongs there at all. Wonder if that will be fixed. If it even can be fixed. Because it's always sounded like a mistake.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:53 AM »
Been waiting for this since the first two reissues. One thing I'm curious about: there's a part of one of the songs (I think Magic Pie) where towards the end, there's this weird bloop/chirp distortion sound. I thought my CD was just ripping to the computer badly, but when I checked on YouTube that sound was still there. It doesn't sound like it belongs there at all. Wonder if that will be fixed. If it even can be fixed. Because it's always sounded like a mistake.

Probably.  I might check that out for ya.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »
Noel Gallagher is opening for U2 on the Joshua Tree 30 Tour.

Looking forward to his new album ! Chasing Yesterday was great !

Please please please never reform oasis.

I love the fact that Noel is just ignoring everything Liam is saying and just getting on with having a brilliant solo career.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
I think Noel is only with U2 in Europe, not the States.  When is Noel's coming out?  I just looked and I didn't see any mention...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »
Well he said his label have given him a deadline to have the record DONE WITH by June. So i'm gonna guess September / October.

He has been writing and recording at the same time on this album - so was able to get it done quicker than usual.

Every album has taken 3 years to come out since Be Here Now. This'll be 2 years if it comes out this year.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
Noel Gallagher turns 50 years old this May !!!

Looking forward to the new album !!

I must say he looks in better nick than Liam. :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
So Chris Sharrock - the final oasis drummer ( and a fucks sight better than Zak Starkey ) is the new HFB drummer ( at least he is at the moment ).

I'd love Chris on the new HFB album as I've always hated Jez Stacey's caveman thumping.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
So Chris Sharrock - the final oasis drummer ( and a fucks sight better than Zak Starkey ) is the new HFB drummer ( at least he is at the moment ).

I'd love Chris on the new HFB album as I've always hated Jez Stacey's caveman thumping.

Do you really think Zak is not that good?  I loved him in Oasis, and I really loved him with The Who.   I saw him drum on the Quadrophenia tour in the late '90's and he kicked ASS. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
I didn't like Zak in oasis - his playing was extremely straight. He didn't do any of Alan's ghost notes.

I heard him do Dont Look Back In Anger and he didn't shuffle it at all - it was just bass snare bass bass snare.

Chris was my favourite after Alan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2017, 05:59:19 AM »
Now, he’s given fans an update on the long-awaited record. Appearing this weekend on Russell Brand’s Radio X show, Gallagher said “I believe it’s slated for a November release”. When pushed for a song title, he said “there’s one just called instrumental number three”.
Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music/noel-gallagher-reveals-release-date-new-album-2058136#pZ3gXFrSW693ZKkZ.99

Small Update but I hope it is this year. I doubt they'd wait til next March again like last time.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
I'm not a Tom Petty fan, but I heard "Into The Great Wide Open" in a store this week, and thought it really sounds like an Oasis-era Noel song...at least in the chords.  Especially going to the Em at the end of the chorus. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
So Noel and Liam released solo albums. I just finished listening to both albums and I must say i was a bit disappointed by the High Flying Birds release. Since the Beady Eye releases were a huge dissapointment, I must say that Liam's solo album is very strong and I liked it more than Noel's.

Thoughts?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2017, 03:27:56 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised by Liam's album, since Beady Eye left me cold (aside from a few tracks on the first one). Meanwhile I was hesitant to Noel's new album after hearing Holy Mountain, but the album grew on me. Now I'd rank it as good as Liam's. It's A Beautiful World and If Love Is The Law are the best songs on it. I still think Chasing Yesterday is a bit better though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
Noel's new album is out, sounds great!  Very energetic. 

Here's what he told Rolling Stone about it:
"It's unashamedly a fuckin' pop record," says Gallagher of the album. "It's about the joy of beautiful women, nights out and nights getting fuckin' high, and all the things that we live in life. All the things that the fuckin' terrorists hate. I reckon if I went to Syria and played it for Isis, it'd all be fuckin' over. I reckon it'd even turn Trump around."
 :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
Just listened to DOYS for the first time in years.  Despite having a few songs that sound like b-sides, I still think it's their best of the later albums.  Liam sounds more like his younger self.  I'd love to hear him sing I'm Outta Time in 1994-95.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
Just listened to DOYS for the first time in years.  Despite having a few songs that sound like b-sides, I still think it's their best of the later albums.  Liam sounds more like his younger self.  I'd love to hear him sing I'm Outta Time in 1994-95.

I LOVE that album.  I still listen to it more than the three that come before combined.

I like the two new albums.  Liam's is better than I thought it would be, but it's still second rate Oasis.   How many Beatles album titles and lyric snippets can you shove onto one album?  This album will answer that question for you!  He does have my favorite line of 2017 though:  "Stand out and less of the cheese, selfies, what a fuckin' disease".

Noel's is solid top to bottom, and is an album I'll go back to again and again, which isn't that common anymore. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »
Noel makes...a club song?  It sounds like a remix.  I dig it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LKSW_RK8Ss

Offline dparrott

« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2021, 09:09:37 PM »
Great new Noel demo
https://youtu.be/uYuFuS3HMtA

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2021, 02:33:44 AM »
Not a bad tune. As much as I enjoyed Who Built the Moon and all the EPs - I want Noel to bring out another Chasing Yesterday.

I love that his music has matured beyond oasis and has moved forward whilst Liam still makes songs that wouldn't make Oasis b-sides back in the day.

Liam can't do anything experimental. He wouldn't want to lose or alienate one single of his precious fans. So markets it as "proper rock n roll for the true fans"..

Also - continually tweeting "come on Noel lets get oasis back" - when he has no intention of doing so - primarily to make himself look like the hero and

Noel look like a villain when it doesn't happen. He is SO transparent. Noel has already said Liam can reform oasis without him - but then

if he did that - Noel wouldn't look like the bad guy.

( Noel also said that the reason Liam split up Beady Eye and went 'solo' is because he found out how much more money HE would make if it was his solo project...

and that Gem and Chris from HFB said as much when they joined Noel. Just goes to show that Noel is all about the music and Liam is all about the money ).

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »
Cool song, has more of an Oasis vibe than most of his more recent stuff. Excellent sound quality too since he almost apologetically specifies in the description it's "ONLY A DEMO". Yeah, your demos and b-sides are streets ahead of most bands' best work, Noel (exhibit A your honour, the staggeringly awesome one-take Dead In The Water, which inevitably was relegated to a b-side on his last album).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2021, 08:54:15 AM »
You know I'm a big Oasis fan, and still am (I went back recently and revisited the catalogue, and man, is it strong).   I'm Team Noel generally, but I have to say, of the last, say, 15 or 30 songs that both have produced, I like Liam's better.   I'm not really in it for "who is more experimental"; Oasis was NEVER "experimental".  Part of the thrill was "spot the influence/nick".   I want guitars and melodies, and those seem to be lacking in Noel's most recent work.

They're not The Beatles, or anything, but they really are a pair that I believe is better together than apart.  I wish they would pull a "Daltrey/Townsend" or a "Jagger/Richards" and realize that.  They don't have to be friends, they just have to tolerate.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2021, 09:05:14 AM »
Oasis would be NOTHING without Noel!  Reforming without him would tarnish their legacy. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2021, 09:36:18 AM »
Maybe it's Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory being so good but I find very little of what either of the brothers have put out since (together or apart) to really be worth the time. The Masterplan is a pretty solid collection and Be Here Now is like a mixed bag (the start of something bad but also some good). The albums after that all have a few solid songs but overall fail to impress. I wish I enjoyed Noel's solo stuff more but it's just on that 3/5 level for me. Good but not fantastic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »
Maybe it's Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory being so good but I find very little of what either of the brothers have put out since (together or apart) to really be worth the time. The Masterplan is a pretty solid collection and Be Here Now is like a mixed bag (the start of something bad but also some good). The albums after that all have a few solid songs but overall fail to impress. I wish I enjoyed Noel's solo stuff more but it's just on that 3/5 level for me. Good but not fantastic.

See, I'm a HUGE fan of Dig Out Your Soul. I think that's a top three Oasis album, and I really really like Noel's first solo album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
Don't Believe The Truth was a return to form. It almost reminded me of hearing Morning Glory for the first time.

Didn't like Beady Eye. Liam's solo stuff is just terrible. His rock'n'roll songs sound like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club b-sides.

I have loved all of Noel's solo albums so far. The EPs were just ok mind you and I hope his next album is in the vein of High Flying Birds / Chasing Yesterday - as that's where he shines.

If I Had A Gun / The Dying Of The Light / Lock All The Doors / You Know We Can't Go Back / Freaky Teeth / Dead In The Water etc etc.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »
If I Had A Gun / The Dying Of The Light / Lock All The Doors / You Know We Can't Go Back / Freaky Teeth / Dead In The Water etc etc.

Other than the sublime Dead In The Water, my personal favourite is "(I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine". Yet another song that was an Oasis demo (and the demo is arguably better than the later HFB version) that Noel didn't consider good enough for an album. It's really baffling to me how unaware he seems to have been of his own greatness, despite all the boasting back in the 90s. The Masterplan, Acquiesce, Talk Tonight, Rockin' Chair, Stay Young, Listen Up, Round Are Way, Headshrinker, Half The World Away, Let's All Make Believe, Fade Away...how do you listen back to any of those songs and think "Nah, stick that on a b-side somewhere"? Any one of those now-forgotten 3rd-rate Britpop/rock bands of the mid-90s would have killed for one of those tunes.

Stadler and I have spoken about this before but re: Be Here Now, I actually think that's a very beautiful and - by Noel's standards - 'tender' album, once you strip away the layers of coked-up over-production. I was 16 when it came out and the entire country was in a fever pitch at the album's release. It's the closest my generation has ever come to Beatlemania. I'm from Manchester and I saw Oasis play a 5-song set in a tiny club in my home town when they were just starting out (my brother was kiiiiiiind of an 'acquaintance' of Liam Gallagher), there were maybe 50 people in the crowd. 3 years later they were playing Maine Road (Manchester City's old football stadium) in a show released on video as 'There And Then' (I was there for that show too, and it was quite a difference going from 10 feet away from Noel playing 'Take Me Away' on the acoustic to half a stadium away listening to Don't Look Back In Anger).

Be Here Now to me is Noel's most personal statement. Definitely Maybe is an ode to the rock star lifestyle they were chasing. Morning Glory is the peak of their craft. But Be Here Now is a rare glimpse at this band's tender side. Don't Go Away is heart-breaking to me (it's written about and to their mother Peggy, who was ill at the time). What a great singer Liam is that he can go from the cocky snarl of Rock n Roll Star and Cigarettes and Alcohol to this level of beautiful fragile emotion. Stand By Me is a song Noel wrote after getting violently ill with food poisoning and realising the importance of just having someone close by. The Girl In The Dirty Shirt I find to be a much more beautiful love song than Wonderwall (both songs were written for Noel's then-wife, Meg, and she is on record as saying she prefers Dirty Shirt to Wonderwall, as do I).

Ok I'm rambling, the point I wanted to make is, if you cobble together a new album out of the songs that made the record and the b-sides, you have the 3rd Oasis masterpiece, and it looks like this:

1. D'you Know What I Mean?
2. Stay Young
3. Stand By Me
4. Going Nowhere
5. The Girl In The Dirty Shirt
6. Don't Go Away
7. Be Here Now
8. All Around The World
9. It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)
10. All Around The World (Reprise)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:25:43 PM by Dave_Manchester »