Author Topic: Tom Bombadil's Roulette v. COMPLETED  (Read 19772 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Tom Bombadil's Roulette v. Rd.4 RESULTS (and Anchorman references)
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »
Cool, let's see what I can do for this round :hat .

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
sent

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
The ending for Vic the Butcher is the lead in to the next song, but I'm glad you dug it!
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline adace

« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it.

Sent.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
it's funny, a Devin song was among my final three to send last round.  You would have had five of his songs to listen to!

Round 5 sent.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »
Crap, I didn't know Destrage was already sent, I would have totally sent something else. Oh well....

Acoustic? Me likey  :)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »
Sent.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
Sent, really curious what you'll say.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
Sent.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
Sorry guys, really rough week at school this week. Results should be up this weekend (hopefully). No promises.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »
Tomorrow guys. I promise

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:39 AM »
Tomorrow guys. I promise

That would be helpful. I'm leaving for business tomorrow (Monday) morning, so it's be great if I could send by tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »
Ok sorry for the delay. The pace should pick back up again after this.

Adace: Agalloch - Odal - I picked the perfect time to listen to this song the first time: lying in bed in the dark with the headphones on. It created a pretty phenomenal atmosphere. The picture in the background of the video summed it up pretty well too. Literally my only complaint about this piece was you kinda have to be in the right mood to listen to it. But when you are, it really hits home.
Grade: 8.5

Jingle.dingle: Sass Jordan - I Want to Believe - Great song for this round. The acoustic guitar work is excellent, and then one of my favorite instruments makes an appearance: the mandolin. I'm not entirely sold on the vocals. Some times I think they're great, others not so much. Also I found the key change at the end a little jarring. Unfortunately for Jingle this is another one that had a lot of nice moments, but didn't quite stand up to some others in the round.
Grade: 6.5

Senecacat2: David Gray - Shine (Live) - Ah, this really brought back memories of my parents playing White Ladder all the time growing up. The whole thing is pretty beautiful, and his voice is amazing as usual. Probably not my favorite David Gray song, but definitely up there.
Grade: 8

Sacul: Opeth - Windowpane - Well this was extremely different from the two Opeth songs I got last round. Still very high quality, and still makes me wonder why the hell I always thought I didn't like this band. For the most part I really enjoyed this song, but I must admit there were a couple times where I felt my attention slipping. Maybe if it was a little shorter I would like it even more.
Grade: 7.5

GentlemanofBread: Johnny Cash - God is Gonna Cut You Down - I'm kinda lukewarm on this song. It's another case of the "Good but not great" feeling. I don't have anything negative to say about it, but I didn't really "get it", at least at this point.
Grade: 6

Shadow Ninja: Alexi Murdoch - Through the Dark - This song overall was incredibly relaxing. Really liked the vocalist too. Similar to the Agalloch song, you have to be in the right mood to appreciate it. Also, I found it just a tad too repetitive, but it wasn't enough to really change my view of the song.
Grade: 7

Big Hath: Burlap to Cashmere - Anybody Out There? - I really liked the beginning of this song, but when it picked up and got faster I wasn't as fond of it. It just seemed to work better slower. The guitar solo was pretty awesome, though.
Grade: 6.5

Lucien: Hector Berlioz - Hungarian March - I don't know why, but I've always connected better with faster, more upbeat classical music, so this was right up my alley. I think you described it very well in your message that it was an upbeat, catchy tune. I loved the main theme, and that crescendo at 3:20 was probably my favorite point of the whole song. Probably my favorite classical piece you've sent so far. :tup

Elite: Magic Pie - Endless Ocean - Very impressed by this song. It had pretty much everything I could want in an acoustic song. Great guitar work, and the vocals fit perfectly with the song. Not much else to say for this one. No complaints at all.

Mikemangioy: Devin Townsend Project - Ki - Similar to the Opeth song, this sounded nothing like the Devin songs I got last round. Also similarly, there were a few spots where I struggled to pay attention, particularly in the middle. And I found the transition at about 4:30 to come out of nowhere. Other than that it was quite enjoyable.

Tyrias: The Tallest Man on Earth - Where Do My Bluebird Fly (Live) - For me this song went pretty much exactly how you expected. The guitar is excellent, and the vocals did eventually grow on me. They still seemed to surprise me every time a listened to it, though, and then once I got used to it it no longer bothered me. Very interesting tune.

Lonestar: Blind Melon - Change - Another song with some great acoustic playing in it. Lots of different parts going on at once, which I thought was cool. Some more mandolin too (I think) which is always good. Vocals were kinda just "meh" for me, though. 

STANDINGS
1. Senecadawg2 - 39.5
2. Big Hath 39
3. Elite - 38
4. Shadow Ninja - 37.5
5. Adace - 37
6. Lonestar - 36.5
7. Sacul - 36
8. Tyrias - 36
9. Lucien - 35.5
10. GentlemanofDread - 35
11. Jingle.boy - 34.5
12. Mikemangioy - 34.5

For Round 6, lets do something weird and go with songs that have some time signature other than 4/4. 4/4 can even be the majority of the song, but something else has to make an appearance. Hopefully this isn't too challenging.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Tom Bombadil's Roulette v. Rd.5 RESULTS, send Rd. 6
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »
sent

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
Senecacat2

:) I like it!

Glad you enjoyed the song. Interesting that you've heard White Ladder a lot- it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Also, I'd be curious to know what you think of the rest of Agalloch's music. I've thought about sending them a couple times but wasn't sure if you'd like the vocals. I'll send the next round soon enough!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

Also, I'd be curious to know what you think of the rest of Agalloch's music. I've thought about sending them a couple times but wasn't sure if you'd like the vocals. I'll send the next round soon enough!

Honestly that was the first time I'd heard an Agalloch song in full, so I have no idea if I like their vocals.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »
misstep with that one.

Round 6 sent.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:24 AM »
Hmm, interesting, he is one of my favorite vocalists, so much passion and intensity. Shame he od'd, such a talent.

I'll send Tuesday.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 05:16:47 AM »
Will try to send by end of day. Work/travel day for me today.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline adace

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Sent.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
Will try with something proggy, because I really can't tell the difference between 4/4 and 16/7 or 5/8 or whatever during the song.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
Will try with something proggy, because I really can't tell the difference between 4/4 and 16/7 or 5/8 or whatever during the song.

Took the words right off my keyboard.  I figure anything in the library under the Progressive" genre ought to fit the bill.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
Well, I can't really tell the time if it's not in 4/4, so I just went with something that I couldn't count along to :lol. Let's hope it's not in 4/4...
Edit: According to the video's comments the intro is alternating 7/8 and 3/8. so i guess I'm fine :D
Edit 2: Reading further, no one seems to be able to agree on a time measure, so I guesss that's even better ;)

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »
Well, I can't really tell the time if it's not in 4/4, so I just went with something that I couldn't count along to :lol. Let's hope it's not in 4/4...
Edit: According to the video's comments the intro is alternating 7/8 and 3/8. so i guess I'm fine :D
Edit 2: Reading further, no one seems to be able to agree on a time measure, so I guesss that's even better ;)
Ha that's a good sign. We'll see if I can figure it out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

Now that's some serious fucking prog bro. :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »
I sent something exceptionally risky this time.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Still missing 3

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10:13 PM »

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
Still waiting for mikemangioy and Elite

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
Sent
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
Sorry for the late sending. It was my birthday on Tuesday and yesterday was my University's graduation ceremony. A festive week indeed, but it also made for little online presence. Not that it really mattered, because I had a good time. You got my song now, in any case.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2014, 10:50:49 AM »
Sorry for the late sending. It was my birthday on Tuesday and yesterday was my University's graduation ceremony. A festive week indeed, but it also made for little online presence. Not that it really mattered, because I had a good time. You got my song now, in any case.
Wow congrats and happy b-day bro!

Results should be up tonight or tomorrow

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
Ok lets get right to it

ROUND 6 RESULTS

Shadow Ninja: Gordian Knot - Muttersprache - I found this to be a lot more interesting than your typical instrumental piece. If my counting was correct, pretty much the whole thing was in 4/4 except for this weird breakdown section which, oddly enough, was actually my least favorite part of the second. For the most part, I liked it though. Some of the guitar solo parts are amazing, and I specifically enjoyed the softer section starting at 2:37. The main theme might have been repeated a little too much though.

Big Hath: Moon Safari - Yasgur's Farm - I feel like its uncommon these days to have a really happy sounding prog band, but these guys made it work. I'd say it was probably the keyboard that really stood out in this song. Every time I noticed it I was impressed by how good it sounded. Lots of 7/8 and 7/4, which are personal favorites of mine. For the most part the vocals were very good, but I do remember a few parts where I wasn't too fond of them. Overall, you definitely got back on track with this one.

Lucien: Lucien - Zephyros - I used the second link just so you know. Anyway, the first half of this song was mind blowing. Like, it sounds professional-grade. You lost me a bit in the 16th note runs on flute/xylophone, but for the most part the first half was gold. The second half wasn't quite as good, but there were definitely pieces here and there that I really enjoyed. Without a whole lot of percussion it was difficult to tell the time signature, but I definitely noticed some 3/4 and maybe 5/8. Overall: You're good at this. Keep at it.

GentlemanofDread: The National - Demons - I've only known of The National from Game of Thrones, but now they are 2 for 2 in terms of songs I like by them. I love the super deep vocals, they're really unique and quite enjoyable. The tone of the whole song was very relaxing and it only got better with more listens. Very impressed.

Senecadawg: Angra - Silence and Distance - With the name "Angra" I was expecting some pretty angry music. So naturally the beginning is incredibly soothing and soft, and amazing. When it does pick up and get heavier, it goes into this weird time signature that I'm still in the process of figuring out (gotta be something /16 because counting in eighths I keep getting off by half a beat). Anyway, really liked this song. The chorus was pretty great, but my favorite part was still the soft sections.

Adace: Animals as Leaders - CAFO - I'm pretty sure I've checked this band out before and wasn't fond of the vocals, so you made a wise decision sending an instrumental. Anyway, I couldn't even begin to count this song. It was very frustrating. Everyone in the band was an animal on their respective instruments (see what I did there?). Puns aside, they were extremely talented. On a few occasions they suffered from Dance of Eternity syndrome, but for the most part it was a really solid instrumental.

Sacul: Destiny Potato - Love Song - For some reason I'm a real hard time coming up with anything to say about this song, other than that it was amazing, and I pretty much liked the whole thing, and the electronic vocals at the beginning were really cool. Really don't have much else to say, but it was truly an great song.

Tyrias: Oceansize - Trail of Fire - Ok, this is where I get stuck, and need someone more knowledgeable to help me out. I clearly count the beginning as 3 measures of 7/8 and one of 3/8, but if you add that up its 24/8. So is that technically just really really syncopated 4/4, or do the accents make it 7/8 and 3/8? I'm going to assume the latter. Anyway, on to the actual song. It was excellent. I really like the overall tone of the song, and the vocals were very nice.

Jingle.boy: Mystery - Pride - This sounded very 70's prog-esque, which certainly isn't a bad thing. Most of it was in 7/8, but you couldn't really tell unless you really listened for it, which for me is a good thing. That soaring guitar part at 7:10 (and it happened earlier) was quite epic, and all the softer parts were flawless. I knew it was only a matter of time before you hit on a big one.
Grade: 9

Lonestar: Pomegranate Tiger - Mountains in the Sky - This song started out really energetic and loud, and it was pretty awesome, but it tried to stay at that high energy level throughout the entire song, and that made it feel a bit same-y. That's really my only complaint, as the instrumentation was really good, and some of the riffs were :metal . Of the three instrumentals this round, I have a really hard time figuring out which one I liked most, so I'm just giving them all the same grade.

Mikemangioy: Gojira - Ocean Planet - Despite not being an instrumental, I found this and Lonestar's song to be pretty comparable. Both were really loud and heavy throughout, and had some really great riffs, but felt just a little too unchanging. I still enjoyed it, but nothing really stood out.

Elite: Pain of Salvation - Used -  This song was really interesting. It continually went back and forth between really heavy and somewhat softer, and mostly it did this really well, although there were a few transitions I found a little jarring. This one will probably take more listens to fully sink in, but right now its right in the middle of the pack for this round.

STANDINGS
1. Big Hath 47.5
2. Senecadawg2 - 47
3. Elite - 45.5
4. Shadow Ninja - 44.5
5. Sacul - 44.5
6. Adace - 44
7. Tyrias - 44
8. Lonestar - 43.5
9. Jingle.boy - 43.5
10. Lucien - 42.5
11. GentlemanofDread - 42.5
12. Mikemangioy - 41.5

I always feel like I give everything a high grade, but nothing in this round deserved anything lower than a 7. Keep up the good work.

For round 7, lets go with songs that have "groove"

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Tom Bombadil's Roulette v. Rd.6 RESULTS, send Rd. 7
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
Damn you Big Hath!

I'll send my next song shortly
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.