Author Topic: Who is/was Chris Cintron  (Read 2219 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Who is/was Chris Cintron
« on: September 26, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »
I've seen him mentioned a few times here, but all I have found out is that he auditioned pre-I&W. Was he after the Steve Stone incident? Did he just... sort of not exist after his audition?
Curiosity is going to get me killed at some point, so I try to be as curious as possible over the internet, where people can't kill me!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:01:34 PM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: Who is/was Chris Clitron
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »
I believe the correct spelling is Chris CINTRON.  Following the Steve Stone debacle, he was the next singer that the band really liked.  He was the first singer to work out the original vocal melody of Change of Seasons (as heard on the official I&W bootleg).

The record label was very cold to the idea of him being the new front man, and due to the Steve Stone incident, the band was not ready to commit to him, although they had been working with him on demoing new material.  Ultimately, he was still rehearsing with DT when JLB’s demo tape arrived.  After practice one night, the four guys pretended to go home for the night, Chris departed and the band returned to the rehearsal space to discuss JLB’s demo. 

In the future, no need to die of curiosity.  Just buy Rich's book Lifting Shadows.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:45:50 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »

In the future, no need to die of curiosity.  Just buy Rich's book Lifting Shadows.
I'm an impoverish student... I have no money to waste on books, although I would if I could. Thanks for filling me in though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »
Sell a kidney
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »
I believe the correct spelling is Chris CINTRON. 
Yep.  Fixed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:13 AM »
Sell a kidney
I sold all my organs (both necessary and unnessacary) to buy some corn flakes...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Who is/was Chris Cintron
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 12:47:24 AM »
I always liked his version of A Change of Seasons and I really like his voice. He kinda reminds me of Ray Alder for some reason.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 06:29:29 AM »
I always liked his version of A Change of Seasons and I really like his voice. He kinda reminds me of Ray Alder for some reason.
Yeah. Me too

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »
I don't know about this Chris Cintron. He clearly didn't understand what DT is about, specifically how the lyrics are supposed to be sung. DT lyrics are supposed to be indiscernible strings of vowels. I just listened to his ACOS version, and I could understand every word. You can't have that in a DT song. Next!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 02:19:14 PM »
Wanna know what Cristobal is up to now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWFP_Qo1TQ

Yes, that really is the same guy performing with his brother. 

We emailed back and forth a few times when I bought his CD and got it autographed.  Not at all like Dream Theater but he has a great voice.  Also, I think he is actually from Spain.  I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure English is his second language. 

Like was already said, he was essentially the official vocalist of Dream Theater who they had worked with for a long time (several months) but the label wasn't keen on him and they didn't want to take the dive and make him official.  Then JLB sent his demo and the rest is history.

His Change of Seasons demo with the band was released on the official bootlegs.  You can probably find it somewhere online to listen to.  There are more in existence that I would love to hear but I don't think they've ever been released.  They could have made some good stuff with him had JLB never discovered them. 

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:42:23 PM »
His Change of Seasons demo with the band was released on the official bootlegs.  You can probably find it somewhere online to listen to.  There are more in existence that I would love to hear but I don't think they've ever been released.  They could have made some good stuff with him had JLB never discovered them.
Yeah, I listened to it. He's a good singer, but, to quote rumborak, he lacks the argh!

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
I don't know about this Chris Cintron. He clearly didn't understand what DT is about, specifically how the lyrics are supposed to be sung. DT lyrics are supposed to be indiscernible strings of vowels. I just listened to his ACOS version, and I could understand every word. You can't have that in a DT song. Next!
I laughed.