Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 87351 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #945 on: March 31, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »
Meh it's not like they are going to be knocked out for hours. He just needed long enough to get out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #946 on: March 31, 2015, 09:15:24 PM »
just a couple of scenes earlier, Morgan did make the statement about all life being precious.  And earlier when he put those guys in the car and honked the horn, I assumed he was trying to attract walkers.  But I learned from Talking Dead that he was actually making sure there weren't any walkers around so he could leave those guys in "relative" safety while he made his escape.

WHAT? Was that official?

The person I was watching it with and I both laughed at that part because of the cool payback of it. Didn't for a second think anything else of it. Two guys try to kill him, so he kicks the shit out of them, dumps them in the back of a car, honks the horn really loudly, and gives a smirk, like "Payback's a bitch".

Honking the horn to make sure there are no walkers is way too stupidly backwards a move for someone with as much experience as Morgan. Walkers are slow, so waiting 5 seconds doesn't mean there's not a horde of walkers coming your way.

the actor himself said it, so I guess that is official  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #947 on: March 31, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
just a couple of scenes earlier, Morgan did make the statement about all life being precious.  And earlier when he put those guys in the car and honked the horn, I assumed he was trying to attract walkers.  But I learned from Talking Dead that he was actually making sure there weren't any walkers around so he could leave those guys in "relative" safety while he made his escape.

WHAT? Was that official?

The person I was watching it with and I both laughed at that part because of the cool payback of it. Didn't for a second think anything else of it. Two guys try to kill him, so he kicks the shit out of them, dumps them in the back of a car, honks the horn really loudly, and gives a smirk, like "Payback's a bitch".

Honking the horn to make sure there are no walkers is way too stupidly backwards a move for someone with as much experience as Morgan. Walkers are slow, so waiting 5 seconds doesn't mean there's not a horde of walkers coming your way.

the actor himself said it, so I guess that is official  :lol

Yeah, that's pretty official. :lol I don't watch Talking Dead, so I wasn't sure if it was just some random person saying that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: March 31, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »
"There's a vast ocean of shit that you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit......and then some". /Abraham

I literally laughed out loud when he said that heh, he's like Duke Nukem that guy  :lol

So, everytime Morgan shows up he's gonna be a completely different character?

Looks like it. However, you need to keep in mind that we are seeing him very sporadically. You could take any character on the show (with the exception of maybe Daryl), and if you only saw them along the same time line as Morgan, you'd probably have similar feelings. Rick and Carol's characters along a similar timeline of appearances would be just as extreme.

Yep, you gotta figure if the situation was reversed and Rick was the recurring character and we saw him in the first couple of episode of season 1, then saw him as the hopeful leader of the group in season 2 then in a couple of episodes directly after Lori's death in season 3 then saw him as a farmer for a while in season 4 then saw him slaughtering the Terminus people in the church in season 5; I would think this character randomly changing radically, you gotta figure Morgan existed and lived all through 5 seasons and things happened to him. 

I can't wait for that. Do you think the people of Alexandria are aware people change once they die regardless of being bit?

If I had to guess I'd say 'no'. They haven't been outside those walls since near the beginning. I don't think they have a clue.....like Carol said, they are all children.

That's what I thought as well, but didn't someone (I can't remember who) make reference to people being taken in during the last episode? Aaron must have brought back people who are aware of that tidbit of detail. If not, that's going to get a hell of a lot more interesting. But maybe that's what the people of Alexandria need. They'll realize that they aren't completely safe, even inside the walls.

1. As far as we know Rick and his group are the only ones who know for a fact, from the CDC scientist, that everyone is infected and that you don't have to get bit to turn upon dying.
2. I don't think it often happens that a group of survivors suffer a death unrelated to walker bites and if they do; they probably don't survive it since the dead catches them by surprise.
What I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's a common knowledge among survivors, except maybe ones with criminal nature like the claimers and the Wolves who have might have actually killed living people before.

Sasha is probably the most annoying character in the show right now, maybe even worse than Lori if you look at the whole run.

Sasha is one of the most annoying characters on any show, ever.

I still think it's the fuckin awful actress but I agree.

And earlier when he put those guys in the car and honked the horn, I assumed he was trying to attract walkers.  But I learned from Talking Dead that he was actually making sure there weren't any walkers around so he could leave those guys in "relative" safety while he made his escape.

That is really dumb. And did they expect people to get that?

Yeah... That's not at all what I took from that scene. That was pretty poorly done.

Yeah I didn't get that at all either.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #949 on: April 01, 2015, 12:55:40 AM »
Speaking of Gabriel, that's another character in the "going crazy" category. :P

I think the biggest problem the show does with that trick is that we don't know enough about the characters to understand why they go all beast mode. Bad things happen during the apocalypse, sure. But I think sometimes it would help us to experience more of how these characters were pre-Apocalypse. Take Gabriel for example. We've only heard it in discussions about how he betrayed his people and locked them out to be zombie food, and how sad he is over those events. But wouldn't it have been more powerful if we got to see it? We would have felt those emotions with the character.

In the case with Sasha, I guess she is all berserkermode because Bob and Tyreese died? And Tyreese before that went berserkermode because his girlfriend/love interest died. It's like a chain of events when a "crazy" character dies, and it sets off another character getting crazy.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #950 on: April 01, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »
1. As far as we know Rick and his group are the only ones who know for a fact, from the CDC scientist, that everyone is infected and that you don't have to get bit to turn upon dying.

I have been under the impression for a long time that that was common knowledge by now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #951 on: April 01, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »

I have been under the impression for a long time that that was common knowledge by now.

I would think that this far into it.....if you've been 'out in it' you'd know that once you die your a walker no matter what. Perhaps communities like Alexandria don't know that but for those who are out there surviving I'm sure they are aware of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #952 on: April 01, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »
I personally really like the way they've only shown Morgan sporadically and dramatically changed his character each time he shows up.

If you look at each season, it explicitly ends in a way that reinforces Rick as the main character of the show and makes a statement about the arc he has been through across the season. For the sake of my own thoughts, I'll go through each season, but feel free to ignore all but S5.

Season 1 sets the scene.

Season 2 is his processing of Lori's and Shane's betrayal, and Shane and the group in general's questioning of his leadership abilities and direction. The season ends with him being forced to kill Shane, turning Lori against him entirely, and the group's uncertainty greater than ever. His original moral stance - trying to patiently enforce and ensure the survival of the morals and democratic power structure from before the zombie outbreak - has also crumbled. Thus the season ends with him bitterly extolling the sacrifices he has made for the group in the rain in the dark on the roadside, and declaring himself a dictator over all who choose to live under his protection.

Season 3 explores what the ramifications of what the dictatorship he has proposed might mean by playing him against a genuine tyrannical ruler, The Governor, and, in the final stretch, he sees that he doesn't have it in him to rule like this and rolls it back (the last scene of the episode before the finale). His ability to lead effectively is also tested again as his fallout with Lori, still a thorn in his side in the early season, goes nuclear once she dies and he subsequently starts to lose it entirely. The season ends with him looking out over the prison, NOT seeing her ghost, and then with a peaceful shot of her grave, to show he's put this to rest.

Season 4 begins with him as a morally balanced and open leader who strives to create a peaceful community in this environment despite the challenges. Through the failure of this settlement, and the attacks by the Governor and Joe's group, he transforms into the fearless, scarily brutal pragmatist who is capable and willing to do anything to protect his "family". The season ends with a flashback of him putting down his gun and picking up farming equipment, before coming back to a caged tiger vowing vengeance.

Season 5 in its earlier half, further explores the new kind of leader he's become, leaving it an open question whether he has compromised his morals, whether he is now "too far gone" and has truly become a tyrant. The real challenge to this is how his new stance holds up when his group has to integrate with the Alexandrians who are relatively untried and innocent to the ways of the world beyond their wall. Deanna is effectively S2 Rick, and Rick is now S2 Shane. The latter season teases whether this integration is possible and if Rick and co. will resort to brutally taking over. In the end, they don't, multiple figures are spared, yet Deanna yields to Rick's moral stance and leadership style, arguably lending it some credibility, and allows him to kill Pete. The Alexandrians have accepted these new people as a scary necessity.

The re-introduction of Morgan in the finale was really clever because he hasn't seen Rick since way back in S3, and he has evidently managed to overcome his collapse and reaffirm a much more optimistic outlook from his experiences. By having him see Rick in that final moment, scarred, covered in blood, and shooting a man restrained on the ground, even though the finale was meant to assure the audience that Rick is on the right track, Morgan's perspective forces us to look at Rick and throws everything we've been led to believe into doubt yet again at the last moment.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #953 on: April 02, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
Dude, right on. That look, knowing Morgan's actual intentions with that honk, made me rethink quite a bit.

But after giving it a good thought, I'm still at the same place I was before that look. I agree with Carol's points besides her meaning to stoke conflict at the 'trial', Rick was saying the right things about Pete but in the wrong way, and Pete deserved to get shot at the meeting, the way he stormed in. He was too far gone (heh) at that point.

Great episode; probably one of the best in terms of tension, flow, and dialogue. I felt kinda meh about the Sasha/Gabriel scene at the end, though the part with Maggie coming in was cool for the characters. Catharsis for all three, I think it was mentioned earlier here. Can't wait for next season though. Expecting something big with the Wolves and their herding of walkers and a need for a surgeon at the wrong time.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #954 on: April 02, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »
I can't wait for that. Do you think the people of Alexandria are aware people change once they die regardless of being bit?

If I had to guess I'd say 'no'. They haven't been outside those walls since near the beginning. I don't think they have a clue.....like Carol said, they are all children.

Thinking about this more... Deanna, knowing full well of his behavior, allowed Pete to stay. She desperately wanted him there as a surgeon. If people are injured that extensively and often enough, odds are at least one person has wound up dead on the operating table.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: April 02, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »

Thinking about this more... Deanna, knowing full well of his behavior, allowed Pete to stay. She desperately wanted him there as a surgeon. If people are injured that extensively and often enough, odds are at least one person has wound up dead on the operating table.

I don't know....being that she's a former Senator she most likely wanted just to be able to say to the people that "look, we have a surgeon on staff" just to comfort them more. I think the construction workers behavior and what Nicolas has done has shown that most likely there was no one brought back with injuries.....those folks run their a$$es off any time the  :censored hits the fan.

But, you'd think at least one or two people had 'turned' inside Alexandria....or they are just as they seem.....VERY sheltered from what's really going on.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: April 03, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
So I was thinking.....Rick just blew Pete's head off right in front of Jesse. I mean, that was her husband?? Has she been beaten and abused so much that she is just flat out overjoyed and runs right to Ricks arms (not literally in that moment) or is she in utter shock and it takes Rick a bit to 'get her back'.....I think it's pretty clear their gonna shag....just a matter of how long it'll take Rick to get her into the sack.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #957 on: April 03, 2015, 08:39:50 AM »
I think she's just going to collapse with conflicting emotions. Sure, she did just see Rick put a round in her husband's face, but she also just saw her husband take a sword to a peaceful man's throat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: April 03, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »
I think she's just going to collapse with conflicting emotions. Sure, she did just see Rick put a round in her husband's face, but she also just saw her husband take a sword to a peaceful man's throat.

Good Point. Especially after Rick telling her that Pete would eventually kill her....then seeing him actually kill someone....add in the fact it's the Zombie Apocalypse so you can't really waste time lamenting on crap because you could be dead in an hour.....she should just take him home that night and give him a reverse cowgirl.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #959 on: April 03, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
I don't care what position it is, I just want to see Carl walk in on it.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #960 on: April 03, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
Finally caught up with the last 2 episodes. Pretty good overall. There were some slow episodes in the middle, but I think season 5 might end up being my favorite.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #961 on: April 03, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »

Good Point. Especially after Rick telling her that Pete would eventually kill her....then seeing him actually kill someone....add in the fact it's the Zombie Apocalypse so you can't really waste time lamenting on crap because you could be dead in an hour.....she should just take him home that night and give him a reverse cowgirl.

Hell yeah, nothing hotter than murdered husband sex.

Dude was a total douchebag. Rick did her a major favor. And where the hell was he getting the alcohol from, I thought everything was super rationed. Or maybe he was just that much of a sober asshole
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:56:43 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #962 on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »

Hell yeah, nothing hotter than murdered husband sex.

Dude was a total douchebag. Rick did her a major favor. And where the hell was he getting the alcohol from, I thought everything was super rationed. Or maybe he was just that much of a sober asshole.

My bad, I quoted myself instead of modifying  :blush

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: April 03, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »
Finally caught up with the last 2 episodes. Pretty good overall. There were some slow episodes in the middle, but I think season 5 might end up being my favorite.

For the moment. I have very high hopes for next season given the way things have set up and knowing what is to come with 'the wolves' and the story line involved with that entire group.....

And where the hell was he getting the alcohol from, I thought everything was super rationed.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, it's not like there was a liquor store nearby....even if it was rationed you'd think it'd run out sooner or later or that given that the townsfolk knew he was a wife beater they'd not give him any?

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #964 on: April 03, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
Yeah, that was something I thought about as well.

Maybe he is like that one guy who had something constantly producing alcohol in his stomach so that he was drunk all the time.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #965 on: April 04, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »
He probably has bottles of pure alcohol for sanitation purposes. He is a surgeon and all, that'd be a pretty good thing to have on hand. Wouldn't take too many shots of that stuff to get you twisted.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #966 on: April 05, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
No walking dead  :'(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: April 05, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »
No walking dead  :'(

Not til the spinoff this summer....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: April 06, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #969 on: April 06, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
Spinoff the Walking Fear

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #970 on: April 06, 2015, 06:40:45 AM »
I'm still laughing at that title. And I don't mean that I still laugh sometimes when I think about it, but that I have laughed continuously to this moment since I found out.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #971 on: April 06, 2015, 06:47:55 AM »
Yeah. I really don't understand it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: April 06, 2015, 06:49:44 AM »
This is the first I've heard of the name of the spinoff (I had to Google it because I figured I was missing something here). Yeah..........

But what's in a name?  :yeahright

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth of Wall Street
« Reply #973 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:56 AM »
I guess they wanted to do something different from the typical Spin Off title fashion of "Show Title: New City". (Ex. NCIS: LA, CSI: Miami, etc.)
This title just seems redundant.
The Walking Dead: LA, while simple, does sound a lot better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: April 06, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »
I mean....they were locked into having 'the walking dead' somewhere in the title just to tie the two together. That limits the options right off the bat. You can go 'Dawn of the Walking Dead'.....that's been done essentially and is cliche. 'Becoming the Walking Dead'?  'The Dead Walk'?.....who knows? It's a tough one to name...

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #975 on: April 06, 2015, 07:36:45 AM »
The only thing that makes sense to me is that the current cast is the walking dead. They carry the virus, they already live in this world, etc. The title The Walking Dead makes sense in that regard. In this new show, the cast will be fearing that future rather than already being that future. I do not like.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: April 06, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
I mean....they were locked into having 'the walking dead' somewhere in the title just to tie the two together. That limits the options right off the bat. You can go 'Dawn of the Walking Dead'.....that's been done essentially and is cliche. 'Becoming the Walking Dead'?  'The Dead Walk'?.....who knows? It's a tough one to name...

I agree. I think it just comes off as a bit wordy, and I don't think it's going to flow in conversation. Hey, did you watch Fear The Walking Dead last night? I prefer "Becoming" to "Fear", although it's even more syllables. So I can't say I can come up with anything better than what they've settled on.

I'm excited for the show though, and I think being able to start from the very beginning will be a benefit to the show.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #977 on: April 06, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »
I was expecting something along the lines of "The ____ Dead". Similar enough that everyone knows it's linked to The Walking Dead, not too long, and there's a whole load of words you could sub in there and have a decent title.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #978 on: April 06, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »
I was expecting something along the lines of "The ____ Dead". Similar enough that everyone knows it's linked to The Walking Dead, not too long, and there's a whole load of words you could sub in there and have a decent title.

I was thinking along those lines as well. The current show's main group has always called the zombies "walkers". The Walking Dead fits that well. I'm assuming the people out west will be refering to the zombies as something else. We've heard plenty of other names. The new should could have been called "The Biting Dead", "The Roaming Dead", "The Lurking Dead", "The Wandering Dead", etc...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #979 on: April 06, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »
The Strolling Dead